• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

Not sure why people are quick to blame Crystal Dynamics. They've been owned by Eidos since the late 90's - THEY are the ones that made this decision, not the devs.

RE_Player

I seriously would love to see it happen.
I would love to see it from a business stand point. Would they really go head to head? Would Square do everything in it's power to delay or move the game up? Would they take jabs at each other during the whole holiday marketing blitz?

Blader

Even though the idea sounds a bit convoluted, it's the only way it makes sense.

I'm not going to pretend I know the inner workings of Microsoft's business strategy, but it seems like this money could be spent better elsewhere (like their own studios and IPs). But if what you're speculating is actually the case, then perhaps it isn't as baffling as it seems.

Well there's probably less investment and less risk for buying out exclusives from other proven studios, than building up your studios and putting out games that may potentially bomb.

DynDasE

Neo Member
Man the CD statement cracks me up every time at the end.

"We not ignoring PS or PC , go buy temple of osris and tomb raider DE"

Such odd choice of exclusive even timed if wanted make some money lock down COD or Ass Creed.

Sound so similar to," We have a product for people who cannot afford to use DRM. Xbox 360 !"

RE_Player

Well there's probably less investment and less risk for buying out exclusives from other proven studios, than building up your studios and putting out games that may potentially bomb.
Twisted Pixel being a good example of money poorly spent. I can't imagine Lococycle's long development cycle was worth it in the end.

Mike Golf

Agreed, I have no fucking clue why a TOMB RAIDER thread has 110+ pages on neogaf just because microsoft possibly has exclusivity to it :/ I feel like I'm on a different planet right now.

Maybe because a lot of people enjoyed the reboot regardless of what a vocal minority in the forums say?

Questions:

Whose responsible for this whole mess actualy ?

A. MS (for paying)
B. Square Enix (for receiving)
C. Crystal dynamics (for backstabbing the ps + pc community)
D. Sony (for not paying)

MS is desperate. They are getting dominated by the PS4 and so they are willing to chuck loads of money at third parties.

SE is the real culprit though. They could of easily have said no but they didn't. Simply put SE these days doesn't seem to give a flying fuck about its fans whether its FF, KH, or TR.

Agreed, I have no fucking clue why a TOMB RAIDER thread has 110+ pages on neogaf just because microsoft possibly has exclusivity to it :/ I feel like I'm on a different planet right now.

It was a popular Playstation classic and from what I've heard TR2013 was a major hit on the GAF GOTY thread. Surprising to someone who hasn't played the game considering how vocal people were about the game on here.

Think others have noted that the DE sold about 100% more on the PS4 than XBO.

So people aren't being unreasonable IMO at that level.

The 'salt' and other fanboy shitthrowing in here though is completely ridiculous, and I'm surprised Bishoptl isn't in here knocking heads left and right.

Windforce

I hope Uncharted 4 gets out in the same day and destroys this game in every possible way, especially graphics.

What a lame move, SE...

Soi-Fong

I would love to see it from a business stand point. Would they really go head to head? Would Square do everything in it's power to delay or move the game up? Would they take jabs at each other during the whole holiday marketing blitz?

Take jabs at ND? What can they say? The creator of two of the biggest IP's last gen commercially and critically.. Really, what can they say? SE and CD took the moneyhat and willingly screwed over two fan bases. The amount of goodwill they just destroyed is something else.

Microsoft can pump as much as they want in marketing, but it's not the only deciding factor. Titanfall showed that.

Would everyone be just as upset if Silent Hill ends up being an exclusive?

It totally depends on the situation. Silent Hill has a close history with the PS brand, and the franchise has been weak as of late. If Sony helped fund it or worked in collaboration in some capacity it might be different.

The TR one just stinks because it's a franchise that has just never been associated with Xbox in any real way, and just put out a game last year that was on all platforms, only to suddenly be an Xbox exclusive.

I liked the first game so I'll definitely have to pick this one up when it comes out for the X1. That being said it's kind of scary how many people hope this bombs and the developer goes under.

MS is desperate. They are getting dominated by the PS4 and so they are willing to chuck loads of money at third parties.

SE is the real culprit though. They could of easily have said no but they didn't. Simply put SE these days doesn't seem to give a flying fuck about its fans whether its FF, KH, or TR.

So, you're telling me that SE is dumb because they've made a decision that probably makes financial sense, perhaps cutting down development costs, fostering a better relationship with MS, etc, and you're offended because you're a fan and can't play it on a console you own. The sense of entitlement in this thread is ridiculous. SE doesn't owe you shit. They are there to make money, pure and simple. I'm sorry if fanboy jimmies are getting rustled, but no one here can easily suggest that SE is dumb without knowing the actual metrics and deal struck with MS on this. The vitriol here is infuriating.

RE_Player

probably not even though its the same shit
If Silent Hill starts taking pre-orders for the Xbox One version and 6 months later it is revealed that Sony dropped a bag of money to convince Konami to not release the Xbox One version than it would be the same scenario.

As of now it is not the same.

bidguy

Banned
It was a popular Playstation classic and from what I've heard TR2013 was a major hit on the GAF GOTY thread. Surprising to someone who hasn't played the game considering how vocal people were about the game on here.

Think others have noted that the DE sold about 100% more on the PS4 than XBO.

So people aren't being unreasonable IMO at that level.

The 'salt' and other fanboy shitthrowing in here though is completely ridiculous, and I'm surprised Bishoptl isn't in here knocking heads left and right.

the "bu bu bu i hope uncharted beats up the bad tomb raider" posts are pretty funny though

if the game is good and has a good marketing team behind it, it could most definitely hold up against uncharted.

MS, fuck off. You don't stand a chance. Stop trying.

I was looking forward to this and I am mad. It's not the same as No Man's Sky or Bloodborne or Titanfall. This is a series I've been playing on PlayStation for over a decade. I'm entitled to this one!

RE_Player

the "bu bu bu i hope uncharted beats up the bad tomb raider" posts are pretty funny though

if the game is good and has a good marketing team behind it, it could most definitely hold up against uncharted.
It will not hold up against Uncharted sales wise. Don't be delusional. That's like saying Killzone could hold a candle to Halo. Not even close.

rob305

Didn't the first one cost a shitload to produce? Considering that games are more expensive to use each generation it doesn't sound like the worst idea for Square Enix. I don't know their financial situation but I suppose that they wanted to play it safe and have someone else (MS) help them with the development costs and other expenses. Microsoft probably came up with the money for estimated PS4 sales so now the risk is not on SE's side anymore, but on Microsoft's.

bidguy

Banned
If Silent Hill starts taking pre-orders for the Xbox One version and 6 months later it is revealed that Sony dropped a bag of money to convince Konami to not release the Xbox One version than it would be the same scenario.

did square take pre orders for ps4 versions or retailers who just assumed it would hit those platforms ?

fact is that it got announced on ms conference without a mention of platforms other than xbox from square

Soi-Fong

I liked the first game so I'll definitely have to pick this one up when it comes out for the X1. That being said it's kind of scary how many people hope this bombs and the developer goes under.

When a company makes a dumb decision like this especially with what Sony just announced having sold through 10 million consoles so far, I wouldn't feel for them if they did go under.

To ignore the current 10 million PS4 owners out there and counting, along with the many PC gamers is just plain stupid.

braves01

Banned
Well now, this is pretty surprising news. I wonder how much MS paid for holiday exclusivity? I imagine lost sales from not being on PS4 are pretty significant.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Sony should buy the exclusive to Batman: Arkham Knight just for the hell of it.

Nah. Sony should funnel the money into first-party development or at worst 'second-party' titles rather than just buying third-party games and by that taking them away from PC/XBONE/Wii U gamers.

Although it would be almost hilarious if Sony bought exclusive rights to Bayonetta 3.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I really hope that this doesn't affect Crystal Dynamics or Tomb Raider too badly, but I certainly hope that MS don't see any kind of return on their investment. I want them to actually put some effort in, not lazily moneyhat some stuff to try and turn their epic fuckup around.

And? Assuming that this is a complete exclusive, how are you harmed? Get your preorder money back and move on. This isn't a loan you've made to a now defunct company.

Omega

Banned
Not sure why people are quick to blame Crystal Dynamics. They've been owned by Eidos since the late 90's - THEY are the ones that made this decision, not the devs.

People were attacking a VA.

gamers dont care. you disrespect their piece of plastic and anyone associated with you is a scumbag that needs to die

did square take pre orders for ps4 versions or retailers who just assumed it would hit those platforms ?

fact is that it got announced on ms conference without a mention of platforms other than xbox from square

In either case, the preorders shouldn't have been opened up if they were in the first place; I would have no idea since I don't preorder often.

So, you're telling me that SE is dumb because they've made a decision that probably makes financial sense, perhaps cutting down development costs, fostering a better relationship with MS, etc, and you're offended because you're a fan and can't play it on a console you own. The sense of entitlement in this thread is ridiculous. SE doesn't owe you shit. They are there to make money, pure and simple. I'm sorry if fanboy jimmies are getting rustled, but no one here can easily suggest that SE is dumb without knowing the actual metrics and deal struck with MS on this. The vitriol here is infuriating.

alienating the two larger fanbases in favor of MS regardless of money or metrics doesn't seem wise, also relax.

Somnia

Depends if Sony funded project from start or if they do not announce the game as multiplatform then month later change to exclusive

Except it was never announced as a multiplatform game. Find me a press release from square or from a square/eidos employee stating what systems it is going to be on. Yes some gaming sites and retailers posted it for both, but nothing from Square ever stated what systems it was on other than the Xbox logo at the end of the E3 demo.

Now we all can assume it was being made for both (just like those gaming sites and retailers), but we might be wrong. Who knows...

Top Bottom