• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

darkwing

This has to be the most baffling exclusive game ever. I mean.. why Tomb Raider of all games lol. I cant imagine Square selling 6 million to break even just on the Xbone.

you forgot the amount that MS is paying to have exclusivity , that amount must have compensated the lost sales on other platforms

Of course it's about profitability. Microsoft is a business, not a spiteful child -- if it didn't think that preventing a multiplatform release of the game for Q4 2015 would be a viable business strategy, this thread wouldn't exist.

thats a bit naive, MS is doing this to increase the XO install base. the game will surely bomb compared to being a multiplatform. i just don't see this game selling well this way.

its a very stupid decision by crystal dynamics to be honest, the money that MS rained had to be ridiculous to sway them to exclusivity even after announcing that it was a multiplatform in E3.

ScottTenormanMustDie30.gif

This thread. wowsers

This is one of the odder cases of schadenfreude I've seen when it comes to exclusivity agreements. Why can't people be upset when everything was pointing to Tomb Raider being on multiple platforms like the DE and last entry in the 7th generation, only to end up being bought to be kept off expected platforms?

King_Moc

Banned
How about they build up their own studios like Sony and Nintendo?

This is exactly what they should be doing. Instead they spent the 360 era buying, then decimating studios and just paying developers to fuck over the consumers that bought other consoles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If it is full exclusive you think they accepted less than $100 million? There's no way. A middle schooler could crunch the numbers and tell you that's a bad deal.
I am in fact proposing that Square Enix signed an awful deal for themselves given that exclusivity deals on that scale would basically be unheard of unless they're just financing the entire development budget and marketing cost, but they'd be the publisher at that point.

Yeah, it's baffling.

Maybe they think by it being exclusive, it'll get more attention? Maybe they want the same marketing push Ms gave to Titan fall?

This logic only works when you're not already a gigantic title. Like similarly it would make no sense to make Call of Duty or Far Cry or GTA exclusive to a particular console.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

We'll see. Dead Rising devs said similar and six months later: PC port. Ryse was "console exclusive," it came (more like is coming) to PC.

Black Republican said:
or it could be a legit XB1 console exclusive but released on PC ala Splinter Cell Conviction (didnt release on PS3)

Exactly. Square would be "shooting themselves in the foot" (harr harr) to leave a PC version on the table when they're basically going to be using DX 10/11/12 API's for the X720 version.

This is crap...

I have both systems, just so I can play exclusives, but there is no way I am buying this.

You have exclusives that are made in house.

You have exclusives, like the recent Sunset Overdrive, where the developer gets to keep control of their product, so staying on one system makes sense.

You have exclusives, like Bayonetta 2, where one of the big companies helps fund the game which would have never been made otherwise.

With all of these I have no problem buying the game and is the reason I own all the major systems.

Then you have crap like this where one company pays to keep the game off other systems. This is complete anti-consumer shit. This is not helping the gamer. This is not creating exciting content for your fans. This is not making me want to support your company by hiring the most talented artist in the industry and giving them a chance to wow me. This is 100% complete mafia bullshit of taking out all competition and leaving me one single choice.

fuck you I am not supporting this...
Amen.

Fezan

I just read this new in annoying lara's British accent " oh PlayStation gamers you bought 3-4 million copies of reboot and made it a success now fuck off "

The Chef

Then you have crap like this where one company pays to keep the game off other systems. This is complete anti-consumer shit. This is not helping the gamer. This is not creating exciting content for your fans. This is not making me want to support your company by hiring the most talented artist in the industry and giving them a chance to wow me. This is 100% complete mafia bullshit of taking out all competition and leaving me one single choice.

Well said.

Donos

Good move from MS although maybe a strange IP to make a big punch against Sony (Deus Ex would have been a bigger blow). Like others, i think SE made a bad decicion for the IP in the long run. SE now has to bring the big guns for the coming TR VS UC war.

Also SE pouring all the MS money into FFVX and KH3 :lol. (nahh, Vaporware, both of them)

igor

Fuck you Eidos. Square Enix?

Tomb Raider was my favourite game (well apart from Platinum Games titles) of the generation. Shame.

Better be timed.

Mononoke

Banned
This is crap...

I have both systems, just so I can play exclusives, but there is no way I am buying this.

You have exclusives that are made in house.

You have exclusives, like the recent Sunset Overdrive, where the developer gets to keep control of their product, so staying on one system makes sense.

You have exclusives, like Bayonetta 2, where one of the big companies helps fund the game which would have never been made otherwise.

With all of these I have no problem buying the game and is the reason I own all the major systems.

Exactly. And this is a franchise with a fan base that they wanted to get on board for the reboot, and now they are cutting everyone off. I just think this is so scummy on MS end. Desperate to move units because of their own screw ups? Fuck over fans of a franchise by making a sequel to an established series exclusive.

MS should be ashamed.

Daverid

Thank God I thought TR2013 was a terrible game, so this doesn't effect me at all.

I feel bad for those that were looking forward too it though and have 0 intention of buying an Xbone. Pretty dog move by CD and SE.

That's totally different. She has only had one game, and it would have ended there unless Nintendo funded a second game.

She also isn't the icon that Lara is (alongside Mario and Sonic). Lara's whole history has been PC and Playstation based and now it seems she has said bye to those platforms.

Final Fantasy's whole history was Nintendo systems... up to the point where they jumped ship to PS1. Then their history was Playstation systems... up until FF XIII was announced as a multiplat game, and the gaming community collectively shat themselves.

I really wish GAF was around when FFVII was announced. I would love to see documented reactions at the time of that announcement.

Anyways... once again, I'm glad Xbone owners have something else to look forward to. To any future salt prospectors digging this thread for sodium, I say hello. Things are a bit angry right now. Hopefully people will chill out a bit.

We will. Children like you can continue to bash Microsoft.
What about the children deliberately winding them up? People who come into this thread to post pictures of 'salt' or 'tears' are much worse in my opinion, pissing off people deliberately when they're disappointed like this.

Rise of the Tomb Raider = sequel to Tomb Raider 2013
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris = sequel to Lara Craft and the Guardian of Light

Wow! I was wondering why this was blowing up. I really enjoy both so this is not good news as an owner of only a PS4. WTF!!!!!

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Haha, very interesting indeed. Sucks for fanboys, but so does Bloodborne being only on PS4. Will be interesting to see if its timed or not.

Bloodborne is being co-developed by a Sony studio. Not exactly an apt comparison.

Top Bottom