• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

As a Wii U owner looking forward to playing Bayo 2 in October, there is no way I can get salty about this.

Yes, Microsoft bought themselves a high profile AAA exclusive. I doubt it'll be the last time they do so, and I doubt Sony won't be doing the same thing as well. AAA games are more expensive than ever. When publishers are running low on funds like Square are, they're going to start looking for more support and guarantees from platform holders. Whatever Microsoft paid, I'm sure it helped cover the initial cost of development for the game.

There is no reason for people to get super salty about this. Microsoft made a good decision, and bought themselves a nice exclusive. Xbone owners have got something else to look forward to now. I doubt I'll play the game anytime in the near future, but I'm sure it'll make for a nice reason to one day pick up a Bone. Anyone who uses this as a jumping off point to go on about the Evil Empire Microsoft, and how this is another example of them ruining things for everyone, and how it needs a definitive PS4 release too, yadda yadda, please. Don't turn this into another Bayo 2 reveal thread. For all we know, Microsoft could have been funding this from the beginning.

Let's all keep our heads here. Every platform is going to have exclusives that everyone wants. It's going to sting sometimes, but that's how exclusivity works.
The first game sold over 7 million copies. It is extremely likely they would've made a sequel anyway.

Bayo 2 was a game that would've been cancelled if Nintendo hadn't stepped in.

Not the same thing at all. Pure moneyhats just suck.

Good god the PS bias on this forum is sickening. Constant jibes about 900p 30fps, shot themselves in the foot etc... etc...

Is there anywhere on GAF where adults share their opinion rather than angsty teenagers with a severe brand loyalty delusion?
Lol, possibly the single most ridiculous post in the thread, no offense.

Certainly, there are some overreactions, but you talking about where adults share their opinions rather angsty teenagers is far more hilarious.

What I find amazing is that they announced it in Germany where 90% are Sony fanboys and by announcing it exclusively on Xbox One they just bitchslapped the whole audience.
Balls of steele

LOL This. The audience has seemed pissed/shellshocked since it was announced haha

What would the possible sales be on X1? 2 million maybe? Compared to 6.5 million from
The last game?

Yeesh, that is like 200 million left on the table wide open. And think if Microsoft hits the same timeframe with a big first party exclusive that could eat at sales even further.

All in all a dumb move from Square. But oh well, since when was Tomb Raider a system seller? It launched on Saturn / PSX originally.

The fact that this wasn't announced T E3 makes me think this has been in the works since E3 to combat the exclusives Sony is getting like Bloodborne and to have something even remotely close to Uncharted in 2015

omonimo

Banned
Well

1) some Playstation users will buy an X1 over this
2) Square does not get 60 USD per game but rather USD 20-25
3) They save all the costs from developing the PS4 version
4) The next TR will become multiplat (again) because they not will be happy of the userbase. Another game sent to the oblivion.

Usobuko

Banned
Unbelievable.

What's unbelievable is SE is still in the console business after the market demographic has clearly shifted last gen and amplified with Japan shrinking console market trend.

They should have go mobile or PC, targeting the koreans and chinese for the latter.

zoobzone

This is crap...

I have both systems, just so I can play exclusives, but there is no way I am buying this.

You have exclusives that are made in house.

You have exclusives, like the recent Sunset Overdrive, where the developer gets to keep control of their product, so staying on one system makes sense.

You have exclusives, like Bayonetta 2, where one of the big companies helps fund the game which would have never been made otherwise.

With all of these I have no problem buying the game and is the reason I own all the major systems.

Then you have crap like this where one company pays to keep the game off other systems. This is complete anti-consumer shit. This is not helping the gamer. This is not creating exciting content for your fans. This is not making me want to support your company by hiring the most talented artist in the industry and giving them a chance to wow me. This is 100% complete mafia bullshit of taking out all competition and leaving me one single choice.

fuck you I am not supporting this...

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Nohar

Oh boy. Well, I guess I won't play this Tomb Raider then, since I have no intention to buy the XBOX One. I'm disappointed, but it's not a huge loss.

That being said, this kind of exclusivity is ridiculous, and I agree completly with foxdvd.

Cynn

So Microsoft will be paying the advertising bills but they are going to pull out from a larger install base to get it. Seems short sighted. Tomb Raider will have pretty much zero sales in Europe.

Strange times.

RK128

Wow, a lot of people are upset :(. While I didn't like the original 2013 that much (thought it looked too drab and the story was horrible X(, but the platforming and combat was great :D), it was a solid game, so seeing this come to X1 only will limit its audance to just that platform.....

You know, it really is funny :D. It's like Microsoft are in a way saying FU to Sony lately with there 3rd party exclusives. First we got Sunset Overdive only coming to X1, which is made by Insomniac, you know, the guys who have been making games for all Sony platforms since....1997 :l. Granted, that is the case due to Insomniac wanting to own the Sunset IP (as they wouldn't if Sony published the game), but point still stands.

Now, we have Tomb Raider, an IP that very closely linked to PlayStation (with the original series being huge hits on the PS1), having a big tittle in the series exclusive on Microsoft. Again, the situation for this does make sense (for Microsoft to have an Uncharted-esc game to compete with UC4 next year and for Square-Enix to have a safety net for the game due to its very likely insane budget), but still, it paints a picture here.

I just hope moves like the ones above pay off for all parties involved; these aren't bad moves at all....but it does feel a bit like a kick in the face for those who love these studios past work and IP they work on, not being able to play that on the platform many link them with.

One good thing is that we know Tomb Raider 2 will be a hit :D. Microsoft 'buying' this? Then they will advertise this thing like crazy and it will look amazing on X1 (this being exclusive now, Crystal Dynamics will be able to optimize the game for the X1, making 60FPS or at least a stable 30FPS very likely :D).

Kuni

What a terrible decision. No logical reason for this... It begs belief how this was green lit. Damn shame seeing artificial exclusives like this still happen....

I get the feeling this will cause more "oh what a shame I can't play it" rather than "I've got to buy an xbox!".

Terrible. Will make my voice heard the only way I can by never buying.

What a shame.

slash3584

I don't think this is bad decision for CD, they already have money in their pockets that probably covers the money spend on making the game and every sale they make as a bonus.

But I still don't know if this is really a "megaton" from MS it's surprising sure, but will it really move consoles?

DirtyLarry

This is crap...

I have both systems, just so I can play exclusives, but there is no way I am buying this.

You have exclusives, like the recent Sunset Overdrive, where the developer gets to keep control of their product, so staying on one system makes sense.

You have exclusives, like Bayonetta 2, where one of the big companies helps fund the game which would have never been made otherwise.

With all of these I have no problem buying the game and is the reason I own all the major systems.

Then you have crap like this where one company pays to keep the game off other systems. This is complete anti-consumer shit. This is not helping the gamer. This is not creating exciting content for your fans. This is not making me want to support your company by hiring the most talented artist in the industry and giving them a chance to wow me. This is 100% complete mafia bullshit of taking out all competition and leaving me one single choice.

I concur. Well said.
I will take it one step further and say it is also a desperate move.

And this is why I buy all systems. It will be nice to actually get some use out of my Xbox One.

I'm not sure why this is all that different from Bloodborne or any other game not developed exclusively in-house. The only real problem is that they didn't lead with this news when the game was announced earlier this year.

NeoGaf in a nutshell:

PS4 exclusive: "Great move Sony, good on you guys *hugs ps4*

Xbox One exclusive: "Fuck M$$$$$$$, using shitloads of cash again to actually compete in a business world, I'm not buying it! (I own a Xbox One, or at least I'm saying that to seem less biased)."

First they came for the Lightnings, then they came for the Laras. Oh well, still haven't even played the copy of Tomb Raider I have sitting on Steam. I am sure by the time I get around to playing that, sales will have been mediocre on XB1 and it will make its way to PC at the very least. I can see why PS4 owners would be pissed off though.

I was wondering if we were going to see some intense exclusives battles/moneyhatting again this gen. It always makes for high drama at the very least. I would love to see what franchise could possibly displace the legendary Final Fantasy X360 meltdown thread. I chuckle every time I see the re-posts of it.

Same amount would pissed if Sony wasted money moneyhatting a game instead of using it fund their own games

Exactly. The problem here isn't an exclusive game. I's taking a game that was muti and making it exclusive just for the sake of console warfare. At least with B2 you knew that the game wouldn't have been made if not for Nintendo.

ryanofcall

well that's like bayonetta 2, but for Xbone.. and it sucks for people who don't own the platform.

edit: I'm pumped for the PC edition in 2016 and the Remastered edition on PS4, XBONE, PC in 2017!

DryvBy

Anyone that is for this type of exclusive is not good for gamers all-around. This is the type of money hatting people complain about; buying a series that's been on multi-platforms for yourself. This is a game that is being held hostage at money-point to help sell a console.

I think everyone mad about this would actually be mad if Sony was doing the same thing. I know I would.

This is crap...

So if MSFT bought SE as a whole, you would be ok then?

teiresias

NeoGaf in a nutshell:

PS4 exclsuive: "Great move Sony, good on you guys *hugs ps4*

Xbox One exclusive: "Fuck M$$$$$$$, using shitloads of cash again to actually compete in a business world, I'm not buying it! (I own a Xbox One, or at least I'm saying that to seem less biased)."

Please, tell me more about the monolithic entity that is NeoGAF!!!

Great move by Microsoft. I can absolutely see this selling a lot of Xbox Ones. It does suck for people who were looking forward to playing this on PS4/PC, though.

Wow, a lot of people are upset :(. While I didn't like the original 2013 that much (thought it looked too drab and the story was horrible X(, but the platforming and combat was great :D), it was a solid game, so seeing this come to X1 only will limit its audance to just that platform.....

You know, it really is funny :D. It's like Microsoft are in a way saying FU to Sony lately with there 3rd party exclusives. First we got Sunset Overdive only coming to X1, which is made by Insomniac, you know, the guys who have been making games for all Sony platforms since....1997 :l. Granted, that is the case due to Insomniac wanting to own the Sunset IP (as they wouldn't if Sony published the game), but point still stands.

Now, we have Tomb Raider, an IP that very closely linked to PlayStation (with the original series being huge hits on the PS1), having a big tittle in the series exclusive on Microsoft. Again, the situation for this does make sense (for Microsoft to have an Uncharted-esc game to compete with UC4 next year and for Square-Enix to have a safety net for the game due to its very likely insane budget), but still, it paints a picture here.

I just hope moves like the ones above pay off for all parties involved; these aren't bad moves at all....but it does feel a bit like a kick in the face for those who love these studios past work and IP they work on, not being able to play that on the platform many link them with.

One good thing is that we know Tomb Raider 2 will be a hit :D. Microsoft 'buying' this? Then they will advertise this thing like crazy and it will look amazing on X1 (this being exclusive now, Crystal Dynamics will be able to optimize the game for the X1, making 60FPS or at least a stable 30FPS very likely :D).

The thing is, by Holiday 2015, the PS4 will be well over 10 million units ahead. It's why this doesn't make much sense on SE' side

Widge

Crystal Dynamics will be able to optimize the game for the X1, making 60FPS or at least a stable 30FPS very likely :D).

Not sure how that logic works. Both machines have a nigh on identical architecture. There's no gain to be had hidden away in the X1.

Ya know, when you own all the consoles you get to have all the fun. Just sayin;.

Or you could buy just one and get really angry on the internet. That's an option too, I suppose.

I own everything but an Xbox One. That console would be a waste of $400. And now it's the only console that has Tomb Raider.

I'm completely right in being this pissed off.

This is crap...

Amen.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Interesting. I have no problem with this. In the other thread about "What would it take for people to buy an Xbox One" most of the people in it said "Exclusives."

Kikujiro

Some people here are completely missing the point. Funding an exclusive game is totally ok (see Scalebound, Bayonetta 2 or Bloodborne), buying a third party franchise is different, but in this case I don't blame MS for trying to buy the world, I blame S-E for throwing their fanbase under a bus.

S-E wanted Tomb Raider to be their Assassin's Creed and now they are basically killing it. I mean why even release the Definitive Version for both consoles when you're making this one exclusive? They just trolled an entire fanbase. Some people bought a PS4 and the game thinking they will surely see more of the franchise, but guess what, it was a big joke!

This game is going to be a marketing nightmare. Good job S-E.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
First they came for the Lightnings, then they came for the Laura's. Oh well, still haven't even played the copy of Tomb Raider I have sitting on Steam. I am sure by the time I get around to playing that, sales will have been mediocre on XB1 and it will make its way to PC at the very least. I can see why PS4 owners would be pissed off though.

This should be punishable with a ban

NeoGaf in a nutshell:

Go look at the reaction on the biggest TR fansite on the net (one that CD frequents quite a bit)

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=206689

Effect

the Wii U bayo thing is different because the game was basically canceled and Nintendo saved it

Didn't stop people from losing their minds though. Reaction some are having is similar. However I can't get upset by this either. Microsoft is doing what it must to make sure it's system does well. Making it unique and having games only found on it's system. I appreciate that just as how I appreciate when Nintendo actually does it. Part of me also though enjoys others having to experience games unannounced for their system. A taste of what others have to go through at times. Perhaps they won't be so quick to point and laugh when it happens to another system or fan base in the future.

VampMuse

Neo Member
Good god the PS bias on this forum is sickening. Constant jibes about 900p 30fps, shot themselves in the foot etc... etc...

Is there anywhere on GAF where adults share their opinion rather than angsty teenagers with a severe brand loyalty delusion?

Or the Xbox One DE was complete shit compared to the PS4 version.
Or that the install base for the PS4 is massively larger than the Xbox One and therefore SE just cut out a ton of possible sells.

Or you can bitch and moan about how everyone is Sony here and not look at facts.

greenegt

I'm an Xbox guy, but seeing this as exclusive doesn't make me happy. Sucks for the PS4 folks. It's business, but I'm not a fan of this for either side.

meppi

How about they build up their own studios like Sony and Nintendo?

Takes too much effort I guess.

Especially when they have the mindset that you can fix everything by throwing money at it.

NeoGaf in a nutshell:

That's pretty disgusting.

fardeenah

Banned
WTF rise of the comb raider coming only on xbox ??? this sucks!!! tomb raider was a playstation franchise. F U square Enix and crystal dynamics and microsoft! hope its coming to pc atleast

Top Bottom