• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Triad: Ludicrous Edition announced for Xbox Series/One, Switch, PS4/5 and PC

Tarnpanzer

simpsons___barney_hook_it_to_my_veins.jpg

Hohenheim

One of the defining games in my childhood. Remember playing the shit out of this at my cousins place, because I wasn't allowed to have it myself. Did finally get it at some point, and I was turning off the PC screen everytime I heard my parents waking outside the door. Haha, good times.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Does it include the demo levels? Heard those weren't in the base game.

Saber

Gold Member
This one right there. I was waiting so long for this shit. Being developed by Nightdive studios makes my hype even better.

Today's obscure gaming history:

The term "gibbed" was originated in this game. A nonsensical phrase "Ludicrous gibs!" pops up when you blow enemies into pixelated bits.

coffinbirth

Today's obscure gaming history:

The term "gibbed" was originated in this game. A nonsensical phrase "Ludicrous gibs!" pops up when you blow enemies into pixelated bits.
It really didn't. This has been an industrial term for over a hundred years....And gibs is shorthand for giblets, which has been a term for internal organs for hundreds of years.

If this was some form of sarcasm, it wooshed over me by a mile, because those are are real world words and terms, lol.

This, Painkiller and Serious Sam use to be the shooters you’d play just to shoot stuff.

I love retro shooters, but this just… man it looks so *bad*. I am going to buy it to at least try it, who knows maybe it plays far better than it looks. But at least from screenshots and gameplay I can’t tell why people are fond of this one compared to just about any other shooter of its time.

Apocryphon

I love retro shooters, but this just… man it looks so *bad*. I am going to buy it to at least try it, who knows maybe it plays far better than it looks. But at least from screenshots and gameplay I can’t tell why people are fond of this one compared to just about any other shooter of its time.

Civvie does a good job of explaining why people like it, but I'm with you. I played it in 1994 and along with Doom 2 it was one of my first FPS experiences. It was amazing then, but in next couple of years we got Duke 3D, Quake, and Blood, all of which I have far fonder memories of. ROTT just doesn't have the level of polish that Doom had and it wasn't anywhere near as fun to return to. I think I'll be passing on this particular remaster.

Like Blood, this game is also far too hard for most today. It good that it's been remastered I guess, but I don't know how big the potential audience really is for this game.

Krathoon

Yes. It is out on gog. Get the DRM free version.

It does look pretty tight. It has the silliness of the original, but with a better engine.

Saber

Gold Member
Seems like the console versions received an unannouced delay.
Too bad then...by the time it launchs I will be probably spending money on other games. What a letdown.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I never liked ROTT, even in the 90s I thought it was dumb as hell, but hey seems like a decent version for those who want to play it.

Seems like the console versions received an unannouced delay.
Too bad then...by the time it launchs I will be probably spending money on other games. What a letdown.
I just found out about the delay, I’m with you this sucks.

Was looking forward to playing it today. Crazy they delayed these versions right before launch with no date announcement.

Goalus

Shame about the delay. Gonna skip for a while.
Yep.
Doom (1993), Doom 2 and Quake showed me what powerful feelings these classic games can give me on a big-ass TV.

No way I am playing this ROTT remake on PC. And I want them all on console - Heretic, Hexen, SiN, Heavy Metal FAKK 2, Quake 2, Daikatana, Soldier of Fortune. I'd love to have Mageslayer and Take No Prisoners, too. I hope Phil can arrange that once the deal is done.

They really need to tighten up the controls for a pad. Tried the demo on PC (I use a game pad due to dyspraxia), and it was a complete and utter fucking nightmare to play.

Ulysses 31

They really need to tighten up the controls for a pad. Tried the demo on PC (I use a game pad due to dyspraxia), and it was a complete and utter fucking nightmare to play.
Tighten in what way? I adjusted stick sensitities settings till it felt right playing with an Xbox Elite controller. Saw optoins for deadzone settings and motion controls as well.

Last edited:
Tighten in what way? I adjusted stick sensitities settings till it felt right playing with an Xbox Elite controller. Saw optoins for deadzone settings and motion controls as well
I haven't messed about with anything, but the demo felt like ice skating to me, and the aiming was off.
I was using a standard Xbox series pad.

Ulysses 31

Patch coming.

We're currently working on v1.1 and beyond that may include...

• The final alternate character (Lightning Guard)
  • Steam Trading Cards and Emotes
  • More multiplayer modes and maps
  • Level editor music jukebox
  • A detailed level editor guide (I ain’t writing it)
  • The return of Remote Ridicule?!
  • An auto switch weapon pickup toggle (thankfully)
  • Stats menu for map screen (secrets/kills etc)
  • Custom Comm-Batt levels
  • High scores? Steam Leaderboards?!
  • Netcode improvements!
  • Console ports! (Almost ready)
  • A bundle with the original DOS game + ROTT 2013
  • And more!

Last edited:
Top Bottom