• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 2: Dark Waters revealed [New Details p#172]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
7f8d80c81faeur1t.gif

Oooh dude has a musket.

EDIT: Found some screens.

risen_2_jetty_720plrdi.jpg

risen_2_ship_720pep5l.jpg

risen_2_fire_720p4t1h.jpg

BeeDog

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Inject it into my veeeeeeins! Risen 1 is amazingly awesome, so I'm mega-pumped for this!

Picked up Risen in the ridiculous Christmas steam sales... gotta start it, though :)

Gotta say, there are some pretty rad PC RPGs out there.

Dennis

Banned
Risen is the best exploration-RPG ever made.

It isn't a huge and sprawling game like Morrowind but the sense of exploration, deep forests and danger is the best in any game I have ever played.

It because of games like Risen that I still can care a lot about gaming.

I hope the get what made the first game great and don't make some misguided attempt at reaching a 'broader audience'. Risen wasn't a pefect game by any means, there are plenty of things that can be improved for the sequel.

BeeDog

DennisK4 said:

It isn't a huge and sprawling game like Morrowind but the sense of exploration, deep forests and danger is the best in any game I have ever played.

It because of games like Risen that I still can care a lot about gaming.

I hope the get what made the first game great and don't make some misguided attempt at reaching a 'broader audience'. Risen wasn't a pefect game by any means, there are plenty of things that can be improved for the sequel.

Have you played Gothic 2 with the add-on? It's objectively much, much better than Risen when it comes to its game world and the exploration aspect.

DennisK4 said:

When you say exploration, what do you mean specifically? I think Stalker (COP especially) handled exploration really well because they rewarded you with stashes etc. Is Risen somewhat comparable or does it just have excellent environments to explore?

Sinatar

BeeDog said:
Have you played Gothic 2 with the add-on? It's objectively much, much better than Risen when it comes to its game world and the exploration aspect.

I liked Risen better then G2.

shrapnelmagnet said:
When you say exploration, what do you mean specifically? I think Stalker (COP especially) handled exploration really well because they rewarded you with stashes etc. Is Risen somewhat comperable or does it just have excellent environments to explore?

Both, there is always stuff to find, danger around every corner, but there are also rewards for said danger. Risen is not to be missed, freaking amazing game.

Dennis

Banned
BeeDog said:
The graphics of Risen are so much better and this makes exploring the gameworld a sheer joy.

But this isn't really a knock on Gothic 2, that is one of the best RPGs ever.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Too bad the interface (in Gothic 2) and controls sucked dwarf cock, I just couldn't get into it. Never touched another Gothic either, since that's supposed to be the good one.

But this seems.... piratey? Is this a pirate RPG? Is the first Risen the same? Please? I haven't played a good pirate rpg since... well, basically never.

WHY AREN'T THERE GOOD PIRATE RPGS!!!???

Dennis

Banned
shrapnelmagnet said:
When you say exploration, what do you mean specifically? I think Stalker (COP especially) handled exploration really well because they rewarded you with stashes etc. Is Risen somewhat comparable or does it just have excellent environments to explore?
Guess it is comparable to STALKER CoP and yes you are rewarded for exploring.

Sinatar

StarEye said:
Too bad the interface (in Gothic 2) and controls sucked dwarf cock, I just couldn't get into it. Never touched another Gothic either, since that's supposed to be the good one.

But this seems.... piratey? Is this a pirate RPG? Is the first Risen the same? Please? I haven't played a good pirate rpg since... well, basically never.

WHY AREN'T THERE GOOD PIRATE RPGS!!!???

While Risen 1 takes place on a coastal environment, it isn't very piratey outside of one quest chain where you hunt down a dead pirates buried treasure.

From those Risen 2 shots it looks far more pirate themed then the first.

Rad, yeah... I have to check out Risen first hand, for sure. Fallout 3 is in progress and then I'll be able to sink some time into a diff game, lol. What a weird hobby we have :)

Dennis

Banned
If there are more than one island in Risen 2 and they are each the size of the one in Risen, and we get to go explore on a pirate ship, I am going to officially jizz in my pants.

Sinatar

I hope they don't go too overboard with the world size or we might end up with another Gothic 3.

Having another highly content dense world where every damn place has something to see (like Risen 1) is what I want.

If they can maintain that over a larger area, that'd be amazing.

eXistor

Yet again, I agree with DennisK4, Risen's island might not have been huge, but there was a shit-ton to find. It was extremely satisfying to go off the beaten path and find some hidden stash in the bushes, you really made your own adventure.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
After I finish The Witcher, I may have to get my hands on the first Risen. Then by that time I'm finished with that, The Witcher 2 will probably be out. When does Risen 2 get out?

-SD-

Banned
YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

- Pirate-themed RPG.
- First Piranha Bytes game with GUNS.

Site is looking awesome. I think I'm even more excited about this than Risen. Goose bumps time! :D

EDIT: He looks like Tom Cruise :p

3dxb93fcwbektnc4.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Kinda looks like that open-world pirate rpg i always wanted.:) i hope you can have your own crew and ship.

ThatGuy

The screens on the site were target renders. We should get information soon, as the magazine hit subscribers today.

-SD-

Banned
DennisK4 said:
It's because of games like Risen that I still can care a lot about gaming.
I am very much on the same boat with you. It was so sad to see studios such as Looking Glass and Appeal die, but I'm really happy that Piranha Bytes (and also Nadeo!) are still around giving us games with that extra great bit of soul, depth and love put into them.

- - -

About the size of the world... the forums suggest that the world is much bigger than that of Risen's.

Binabik15

EviLore said:
Pirate-themed Risen 2? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Swashbuckling! Parrots! Rum! Maybe even sailing! Yay!

I stopped playing Risen once it became "go into this dungeon and kill stuff" later on, but the exploration before was sooo good.

Running into a graveyard at lvl 1 and fighting skeletons and their special boss, dying a hundred times until you made it? Yes. Getting gored by a boar while minding your own business? Yep. Running circles around a giant turtle with trees on it, whacking it until it dies? Sure, even though I felt pretty bad afterwards. Getting stabbed to death by a huuuge scorpion after reaching that tiny island not far from town. Yeah, but I came back and crossbowed him to death. That epic duel with a lizzardman? Oh, hell yes.

One thing I´d love, though, is making trophies out of your foes. I spend lots of time and deaths killing an enemy I shouldn´t mess with right now, now let me parade through the streets with his head on a pole.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Supposedly this one is going to be fully multiplatform, PC/360/PS3, rather than PC/360 as with Risen 1. 360/PS3 versions handled by Wizarbox. Doubt there's anything to worry about there in terms of the PC version suffering (see Risen 1), so just good news for our console-only zerglings.

I would love to see you eventually commanding a pirate ship, and sailing from island to island exploring, with Risen 1's trappings intact. Looking forward to seeing the first details from that PC Games Germany mag.

poisonelf

I was about to fly into crazy mode, typing incoherent shit -with caps on mind you. Yep, I'm hardcore and loved Risen just that much.

Then I saw musket. And then... designed for consoles also from scratch ?

So, controlled anticipation, suppressed giddiness, let's wait and see.

I only tried the demo of Risen, and didn´t like it. It was so rough in it´s presentation and interface that it felt like a tech demo more than a game. It they make a sequel with better interface, art direction and an interesting story, than I might take a look at it.

An exploration based RPG is only good if you like the place you are exploring. The demo of Risen didn´t give me that feeling.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
poisonelf said:
I was about to fly into crazy mode, typing incoherent shit -with caps on mind you. Yep, I'm hardcore and loved Risen just that much.

Then I saw musket. And then... designed for consoles also from scratch ?

So, controlled anticipation, suppressed giddiness, let's wait and see.

Erm, Risen 1 was PC/360, with the 360 version ported externally in the same fashion.

poisonelf

EviLore said:
Erm, Risen 1 was PC/360, with the 360 version ported externally in the same fashion.
Ah, all good then. I read over your previous post too fast excited as I was and seeing "fully multiplatform, PS3/360" hit me as the game being designed with consoles in mind first.

Now, about those muskets... hope they don't treat them as ultra powerful contemporary machine guns and turn out the most awesomest weapon of the game, just because it is a unique element of Risen 2.

Also, please, please have a better final boss fight. It was the only thing out of place in a crazy-good game.

Risen on the 360 was one of the worst looking games I've ever seen. And not only that, the textures and lighting was so blurry and dark I couldn't even see what was going on half the time. Comparing it to the PC version it's like two different games. Well, one's a game at least. Seeing how good it looked on my brother's PC was one of the reasons I finally went to PC gaming.

dejan

HadesGigas said:
That's "artwork" right, not screens? That's what the site says anyway.
PC Games clearly states these are target artworks. If you want the see the first real screenshots of Risen 2 you'll have to buy the magazine.

Vlodril

Is it my idea or is PC gaming blooming. Lots of good stuff coming this year.

Hope they keep the lighting from Risen 1 it was fantastic. Better combat and story would be nice though.

Dennis

Banned
From that cover I am reading:

Bessere Grafik

Größere Spielwelt

Komplexere Quests

oh, fucking yes....

Most anticipated game along with Two Worlds 3, Mass Effect 3, Deux Ex and The Witcher 2.

V_Ben

Banned
Whoa. I love me some pirates, and the fact that there'll be a PS3 version means that i'll get to play it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom