• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 2: Dark Waters revealed [New Details p#172]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceebs

jaundicejuice said:
Is there a thread that provides a general overview of all of these Euro-cRpgs? Risen, Drakensang/River of Time, Two Worlds II (the first doesn't look too hot) and Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga are all games I'm interested in trying out, for the right price given some of the DRM involved, but I'm unsure of which to start with. I've been leaning towards Divinity II, but Risen looks kind of neat too.

I loved the hell out of The Witcher, my first real Euro-cRpg, because of its combat system (I enjoyed its interactive nature over say Dragon Age Origins detached combat system), the dark eastern European fantasy setting was an interesting twist on the bog standard D&D/Tolkien fare, the political intrigue, the racial tension between humans and nonhumans, every other woman dropping trow and, of course, because of the choices you were forced to make in the story and the ways in which they impacted your experience.

Now I have The Witcher 2 pre-ordered, but which of the above listed games would be a similar or worthwhile experience? The first Risen? Divinity II?

Sorry for the hijack?
I do not think there is a Euro-CRPG thread, but I can give you a quick rundown on the ones you listed.

Risen: Exploration based and open world. Action based combat. If you can enjoy a game without hand holding this is for you. As far as the exploration, there is not really large tracts of land that feel like filler as the world is very dense in terms of interesting locations.

Drakensang: The Dark Eye/River of Time: More of a classic style that plays like Infinity Engine games or Dragon Age. Super stat heavy and die roll based. You probably know if that is for you already. Pretty standard fantasy setting in both but River of Time is one of the few games where the main quest is a more personal sort of thing rather than "Save the world"

Two Worlds II: Gorgeous open world/exploration based game. I could honestly not tell you what the game was about even though I played it not that long ago. This one feels closer to the Bethesda games in regards to the exploration. The giant world is pretty, but mostly empty other than the set points of interest. Action based combat.

Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga: This one is the fastest moving of the games listed. It's action based as well with plenty of skills to play around with. The English version has a very good translation with lots of wit to it. It has a lot of exploration as well but it's more zone based than the open world games listed above.

Risen is probably my favorite of the bunch, with the Drakensang games close behind.

Dennis

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Is there a thread that provides a general overview of all of these Euro-cRpgs? Risen, Drakensang/River of Time, Two Worlds II (the first doesn't look too hot) and Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga are all games I'm interested in trying out, for the right price given some of the DRM involved, but I'm unsure of which to start with. I've been leaning towards Divinity II, but Risen looks kind of neat too.

I loved the hell out of The Witcher, my first real Euro-cRpg, because of its combat system (I enjoyed its interactive nature over say Dragon Age Origins detached combat system), the dark eastern European fantasy setting was an interesting twist on the bog standard D&D/Tolkien fare, the political intrigue, the racial tension between humans and nonhumans, every other woman dropping trow and, of course, because of the choices you were forced to make in the story and the ways in which they impacted your experience.

Now I have The Witcher 2 pre-ordered, but which of the above listed games would be a similar or worthwhile experience? The first Risen? Divinity II?

Sorry for the hijack?
Risen, Divinity II and Two Worlds II are all great RPG. Particularily Divinity II has gotten nothing close to the recognition it deserves.

As for recommendations to buy:

Risen: best exploration RPG to date

Two Worlds II: best graphics in an RPG to date

Divinity II: Rock solid RPG

So, I guess you could go with which ever game you can find for the least money.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
hey Dennis, which should I play first: Risen or Two Worlds II?

exploration is my absolute favorite thing in RPGs so I guess either will be good for me

Dennis

Banned
Snuggler said:
hey Dennis, which should I play first: Risen or Two Worlds II?
Risen. It is an absolute gem. Take your time to explore the wilderness. That is the real pleasure.

BeeDog said:
I know you didn't direct your question at me :p, but play Risen and skip Two Worlds 2.
Boo this dog! TW2 is a great game for discerning gamers.

Timber

The exotic setting sounds great because Night of the Raven is the best Gothic game. Glad to see they're changing things up a bit. Risen's a great game but there was some serious diminishing returns shit going on.

Empty chests is GTFO.

Ceebs said:
I do not think there is a Euro-CRPG thread, but I can give you a quick rundown on the ones you listed.

Risen: Exploration based and open world. Action based combat. If you can enjoy a game without hand holding this is for you. As far as the exploration, there is not really large tracts of land that feel like filler as the world is very dense in terms of interesting locations.

Drakensang: The Dark Eye/River of Time: More of a classic style that plays like Infinity Engine games or Dragon Age. Super stat heavy and die roll based. You probably know if that is for you already. Pretty standard fantasy setting in both but River of Time is one of the few games where the main quest is a more personal sort of thing rather than "Save the world"

Two Worlds II: Gorgeous open world/exploration based game. I could honestly not tell you what the game was about even though I played it not that long ago. This one feels closer to the Bethesda games in regards to the exploration. The giant world is pretty, but mostly empty other than the set points of interest. Action based combat.

Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga: This one is the fastest moving of the games listed. It's action based as well with plenty of skills to play around with. The English version has a very good translation with lots of wit to it. It has a lot of exploration as well but it's more zone based than the open world games listed above.

Risen is probably my favorite of the bunch, with the Drakensang games close behind.

DennisK4 said:
Risen, Divinity II and Two Worlds II are all great RPG. Particularily Divinity II has gotten nothing close to the recognition it deserves.

As for recommendations to buy:

Risen: best exploration RPG to date

Two Worlds II: best graphics in an RPG to date

Divinity II: Rock solid RPG

So, I guess you could go with which ever game you can find for the least money.

Thanks for the run downs. I think Divinity II and Risen are the top two contenders for my time and money. I'll probably wait to grab Drakensang and its expansion in a Steam sale, if at all. They don't necessarily sound like an experience I'd be into. Two Worlds looks like it could be interesting as well but one open-world rpg is probably enough for now.

Timber

From that thread on the Risen forum:

- More handholding in the early stages of the game.
- Optional quest markers.
- "Enormous graphical leap." Better animation apparently. "Der Held bewegt sich toll." Put that on the damn box.

Salaadin

Id like a better combat system and thats it. The first one had promise but it still had this thing about it that I couldnt quiet grasp. I dont know if it was me or the game but I just know that I wasnt having much fun with it whenever I had to to kill more than 2 things at once.

The exploration and atmosphere and everything else gameplay-wise was great though. I loved how the encouraged the exploration by not giving you fast travel until certain points in the game and even then, you could only travel to areas that you had collected the stone for.

Timber

Yeah, I dunno about the handholding. It's not like Piranha Bytes' games are particularly hard to figure out. But I suppose they want to attract players unfamiliar with Gothic/Risen as well. However it does state that "und steigert den Schwierigkeitsgrad nach und nach," so that's good

OH AND at the end of Risen when you're donning that SPOILER bomb ass suit of armour you collected solely for the last two fights in the game, and you're all like "come on man let me chop down some lizardmen in this baby", and then the ending kinda teases that it'll come in handy in your future adventures, and you're thinking "yeah sure, like the next game isn't gonna have me starting from scratch again, shipwrecked or out of prison" and you best believe this new pirate fellow is not going to be a 1337ly attired superman at the start of R2, and I guess what I'm trying to say is come on maaayne.

Ceebs

jaundicejuice said:
Thanks for the run downs. I think Divinity II and Risen are the top two contenders for my time and money. I'll probably wait to grab Drakensang and its expansion in a Steam sale, if at all. They don't necessarily sound like an experience I'd be into. Two Worlds looks like it could be interesting as well but one open-world rpg is probably enough for now.
River of Time is actually a stand alone prequel, not an expansion pack. It's also only 20 bucks. They are not everyone's cup of tea, but I think they are much better games than Dragon Age. Try River of Time next time you want some RPG on the cheap.

pilonv1

Timber said:
Yeah, I dunno about the handholding. It's not like Piranha Bytes' games are particularly hard to figure out. But I suppose they want to attract players unfamiliar with Gothic/Risen as well. However it does state that "und steigert den Schwierigkeitsgrad nach und nach," so that's good

I'm guessing it's so people don't lock themselves out of magic accidentally.

Ceebs

pilonv1 said:
I'm guessing it's so people don't lock themselves out of magic accidentally.
Yeah that probably could have used a bit more explanation up front. Other than that there was not much else in the game that warranted hand holding. Maybe it will be something as simple as a clear questlog critical pathing you through the main quest that you can diverge from as you see fit.

They could "hand-hold" by completely re-tooling the skill system so it didn't punish you up front for thinking that spending a couple points in both crossbow and archery wasn't a complete waste, or possibly wanting to toss a few points into different spells, or thinking that you'd be able to block ground enemies with a staff. I'd love to know what fantastic treasures people were getting from exploring, too, because most of what I found was garbage due to the total lack of item variety. Sure, I could find +5 wis tablets or alchemy flowers, but not much else.

I'm hoping the sequel brings a forest that can't be traversed in under a minute, unlike the forest in the screenshot posted.

Durante

I'll also comment on a few of the Euro-RPGs:

Risen: Great environments and exploration, and great freedom in the early acts. Sadly loses quite a bit of its charm in the later parts of the game IMHO, where it becomes more dungeon/combat heavy.

Drakensang: The closest thing to Baldur's Gate you'll get these days, much closer actually than Dragon Age. Everyone who's raging about DA2 should play these (unless they already have).

Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga: It's the sequel to a Diablolike, and it still shows in the fast-paced combat and skill selection. Some great humor and very interesting side-quests. While it's not an open world game it does offer very rewarding exploration (since it's easy to find something interesting just by wandering around).

Haunted

Pirate themed?

sold.

Create some decent animation this time around, improve combat, fix the dungeon crawling and pacing. Could be as good as Gothic ever was.

teiresias

Just finished Risen a few days ago. It was amazing, and really gives that Gothic 2 feel. Honestly, I tried to go back and play Gothic 2 again (after getting it from GoG) prior to Risen, but even though I'd played the game before and loved it I just couldn't get into it. For some reason the controls were completely not clicking for me this time around, so I really wish I had written down how I'd set up the input last time, or maybe I just got used to it then and don't have the patience for it anymore.

I also can't stand the music used for general wilderness exploration in Gothic 2 (something about that flute or something).

Risen was so great (compared to say Oblivion) because it didn't feel "generic" like Oblivion, and wasn't overly big, yet had tons of things to explore and find. Making it not too big, not too small, but just right.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
markot said:
Ha, is Fable 3 still coming out on PC?

It hasn't been mentioned since it was delayed last August, but trust me, you don't want to waste a single penny on that shit. I'd rather donate $60 to NAMBLA then pay for that awful game again.

Thankfully, you have infinitely superior alternatives like the other games being discussed in this thread.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Very happy they're keeping the skill system. I liken it almost to something like early Dragon Quest where leveling up and stat gains made a noticeable impact on the parts of the world you can explore. Wish more RPGs would trim the bloated numbers in games and make a condensed skill system like Risen's.

Pirate theme and possible exploration via ship skyrockets this game up to Skyrim levels of anticipation. Oh and will be buying for PC.

ThatGuy

- More handholding in the early stages of the game.

This was an misunderstanding of the magazine according to the Risen forum.
There will be an optional questlog (can be deactivated) and there is no minimap like in Risen.

Micius

Salaadin said:
Id like a better combat system and thats it. The first one had promise but it still had this thing about it that I couldnt quiet grasp. I dont know if it was me or the game but I just know that I wasnt having much fun with it whenever I had to to kill more than 2 things at once.

It could be a bit smoother but I actually think the combat system in Risen was one of the better ones from action WRPGs. You had your rapid sidestep/backstep moves to help reposition yourself against the melee monsters so once I picked up the timing it became a sort of "short combo->dodge/reposition->short combo" attack pattern for me.

teiresias

ThatGuy said:
There will be an optional questlog (can be deactivated) and there is no minimap like in Risen.

Not sure I'm liking the whole "no minimap" thing. It really comes in handy, like in all open RPGs, and it's nice to have it there if you really get stuck. Nothing forces you to look at the map in the questlog to see the location of things if you don't want to. I also like how the really useful version of the island map was a quest reward and not just given to you.

incredible info incredible news so very excite.

if risen 2 makes it out this year...then wow pc. risen 2, witcher 2, deus ex 3, duke nukem, bulletstorm (if it's as good as painkiller) I can't take it

Raggy

Banned
shintoki said:
Damn, Witcher 2 and Risen 2 in the same year.

...and

Two Worlds 2 (out)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (fall)
Dragon Age 2 (out?)
Dungen Siege III (Q4?)
Fallout 4 (prob 2012, and after Skyrim)
Torchlight II (July)
Diablo (Q3/4)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Raggy said:
...and

Two Worlds 2 (out)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (fall)
Dragon Age 2 (out?)
Dungen Siege III (Q4?)
Fallout 4 (prob 2012, and after Skyrim)
Diablo 3 (probably doesn't count on this list?)

D3 will probably hit at the later end of this year, but I have no idea why you listed Fo4 (or, rather, the next Fallout title). Your post is in reply to another stating there's two great RPGs hitting this year and you even state that you're not expecting it until 2012. Whatsmore, it hasn't even been announced.

You should replace it with Torchlight II (July).

running around the early game in shit covered farmer rags with a little wooden sword IS the gothic experience. If they casual-crap it i will be fucking livid.

-SD-

Banned
Here's the official announcement:

DEEP SILVER REVEALS RISEN 2™: DARK WATERS

Piranha Bytes team to explore uncharted territories

21st February 2011 – Hampshire, UK/…
Deep Silver and Piranha Bytes today officially revealed their new game Risen 2™: Dark Waters, the successor of the popular role-playing game Risen™. With an expanded setting, a fresh story and characters and an all-new technical foundation, Risen 2 will expand the success of the Risen franchise worldwide.

Set several years after the end of Risen, raging titans have devastated the world and pushed humanity to the brink of existence. Subsequently, monstrous creatures have risen from the watery depths of the sea and their attacks have brought all seafaring to a grinding halt. The hero, now a member of the Inquisition, is sent out to find out how to stop the chaos caused by these creatures from the deep. His quest begins with rumors that the pirates who frequent the southern islands are the only ones who know a way to get rid of the creatures once and for all and end their reign of terror.

With an all-new pirate-based theme, Risen 2: Dark Waters aims to combine the most loved classic RPG gameplay mechanics of the original Risen with a fresh theme and setting on a huge variety of themed island locales. A third-person role-playing game set in a dark and gritty universe, Risen 2: Dark Waters maintains the most immersive features of the original Risen, withmultiple approaches to every challenge allowing players to shape the game world based on their own decisions. These choices will serve to unlock new paths, features and additional skills for the character. Together with a highly interactive environment and a full day/night-cycle affecting countless aspects of the game world, Risen 2 will be set in the most immersive RPG game world so far.

The eagerly-awaited successor of Risen will set sail worldwide for consoles and PC. For a first immersion into Risen 2: Dark Waters, three illustrations giving a first glimpse of the beautiful new game world can be found on the official game teaser site at www.risen2.com.

Official website: http://www.risen2.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/risengame
Community: http://forum.deepsilver.com

DaBuddaDa

Raggy said:
...and

Two Worlds 2 (Available)
Dragon Age 2 (March)
Deus Ex 3 (Q2 2011)
Dungeon Siege III (May)
Torchlight II (July)
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (November)
Mass Effect 3 (Q4 2011)
Diablo (Q1/2 2012)
Those are the major ones, at least.

LowParry

JaseC said:
D3 will probably hit at the later end of this year.

I'm pretty sure I've read/heard that there will be no major Blizzard games out this year.

As for the OP, a pirate themed game I'm always down for. Day 1 :D

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
OG Risen was a little too lacking in flourish to keep me interested, gorgeous foliage or no, but this one had me at 'pirate-themed.' Bring it on.

Also, that is a GREAT website.

Also, something about Pirates of Dark Waters that it's too early in the morning for me to make work.

keuja

From GDC

Extract:

The process of doing this involves winning favor with groups of pirates. Unlike Risen, Dark Waters will feature multiple islands, at least three according to Piranha Bytes. These adventure areas will be smaller in size than Faranga from the first game, but in total will comprise a larger area of land filled with something on the order of 60 to 80 hours of content to play through. Piranha Bytes says that the multiple island setup allows for more exciting exploration, since you can't run around early on and explore all the terrain. Instead, you'll need to board a ship in order to travel to a new space, which allows for greater variety in environment design and presentation.
The combat's changing around too. Gone are bows and arrows, replaced by firearms. Throughout the journey you'll get access to pistols, rifles, shotguns and even cannon. Melee combat will be an option as well if the idea of firing bullets in a game like this doesn't sit well with you, and a magic system will exist too, though will likely wind up being different than what was present in Risen. Piranha Bytes showed off a few very limited combat sequences and Dark Waters definitely has the look of a Piranha Bytes game, though the protagonist's arcing sword swings weren't quite as awkward-looking as they were in Risen.
Generally these types of games are not very friendly to new players. They don't hold your hand through objectives, but require you explore, learn about the NPCs and the game world, and practice combat skills to excel. Past Piranha Bytes games have not been pick up and play experiences, and from the sounds of things Dark Waters won't be either, which I'm totally fine with. The studio is really good at what it does, as long as the game it winds up shipping isn't totally broken like Gothic 3.
lity this time around.

Well, I like my fantasy settings but a open pirate world could be nice too.

Dennis

Banned
in total will comprise a larger area of land filled with something on the order of 60 to 80 hours of content to play through
YES!

since you can't run around early on and explore all the terrain
FUCK NOOOOOOOOOO!

Past Piranha Bytes games have not been pick up and play experiences, and from the sounds of things Dark Waters won't be either
Good

Gone are bows and arrows, replaced by firearms
Don't make them too powerful

bengraven

Chickens think they're so gangster. Fuck'em.

Graphically, the game is pretty damn gorgeous, it is the art that is a bit on the ugly side.

That's most Western RPGs. You learn to live with it, because, well, WRPGs usually come with mod kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom