• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

River City Ransom sequel coming to consoles summer 2011, PC 2012

Gravijah

firehawk12 said:
Pretty much. Just look at the Scott Pilgrim game. I was barely about to finish the game once.

I disagree completely. River City Ransom is one of the few NES games that COMPLETELY holds up. I'm not even a big fan of beat em ups and I absolutely LOVED it when I played it on the VC, and I had no nostalgia attached because I had never played it before.

It's shameful that RCR gets lumped in with Scott Pilgrim. RCR is still a fantastic game, Scott Pilgrim is a piss poor homage with nice sprite work; but the game really left me cold.

Probably because I can't stand that mash-up of Paul Pope / Animu in the funnybooks.

Grayman

The problem I found with scott pilgrim is that the stat system left me with no idea how the game was supposed to be played. A beat em up of similar quality could be made a lot better just by avoiding that particular stat/balance system.

TreIII

The Take Out Bandit said:
Call me a dirty whore...

As you wish! (j/k) :lol

But frankly, I'm happier with them sticking with just Kunio, now. It certainly beats years ago, where they couldn't make up their damn minds with what they wanted to call him from game to game. Is his name "Alex"? Or is it "Tony"? Or is it "Crash"? Or is it "Sam"? :lol

No thank you. Besides, Kunio was already starting to be known by his real name as early as 1996 and Neo Geo's Super Dodge Ball. Plus it saves the spriters time and money with having to redraw everything, just to suit those who want their damn jeans and t-shirts.

CamHostage

N4Us said:
Might be thinking of "Shodai Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4kJiTDB5tM

The ROM for this game on distribution sites often was called River City Ransom 2 back in the day, if I remember right. It's a pretty off misnomer from what I've seen of the game, there's not much of a shopping/power-up system (you level up through fights, there are towns but there doesn't seem to be much to do in them) and the physics-based gameplay is muted quite a bit, so it's just a lot of dialog broken up by some punching. Maybe that's unfair to the game, but I could never get into it. Seemed more like a story-based sequel to Renegade (with its more deliberate combat and less wacky design) to me. Maybe I should finally give it a try with the new translation some day.

ArjanN said:

It's not "RCR2" either even though I've seen ROMs call I think "Shin River City Ransom", bu Shin Nekketsu Koha: Kunio Tachi no Banka is pretty fun... kind of more a Double Dragon or even Combatribes sequel to me (it's a straight-forward punch-em-up with some crazy sequences.)

Either way, neither really attempted to carry on the aspects of Downtown Nekketsu Monagatari that really made that game special. Some of the "Crash n the Boys" games were more RCR than the SNES games that people tried to identify as sequels. Technos liked to use elements of its Kunio-Kun series but then also reinvent even when success was proven. I wish Miracle Kidz the best of luck in returning to River City.

I knew all I had to do was buy Downtown Smash Dodgeball and I get what I really wanted. That also means you go buy it too. Read my post about it so you can get your very own.

*enter Randy Marsh Skeet Skeet GIF here*

But this is wonderful news and ever since discovering that Miracle Kidz were hard at work I knew we get this sooner or later. I have no doubt it'll be crack and if we show our support who knows what can come of this.

TreIII said:
No thank you. Besides, Kunio was already starting to be known by his real name as early as 1996 and Neo Geo's Super Dodge Ball. Plus it saves the spriters time and money with having to redraw everything, just to suit those who want their damn jeans and t-shirts.

I know how you feel about the purity of the series and your stance is understood but why we can't have both? The added throwback feel wouldn't impact the game any and would be a nice bonus treat too. But at the end of the day we get RCR2 so all is right with everything.

*Goes back in the corner and waits for the Power Instinct Collection and Rage of the Dragons*

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nice, I feared I'd have to wait for 2012 to get some microtransaction heavy online RCR for my PC but the summer release is coming to a system I own too, good stuff.

Edit: well, assuming it will be released in other regions around the same time of course, otherwise the PC game might come first, lol.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
The Take Out Bandit said:
It's shameful that RCR gets lumped in with Scott Pilgrim. RCR is still a fantastic game, Scott Pilgrim is a piss poor homage with nice sprite work; but the game really left me cold.
This. So much this.

Scott Pilgrim relied way too heavily on stats and levels in a way that I don't think RCR did.

I could be wrong, but wasn't there a sequel of some sort of RCR released in Japan? I wonder if this new game will have any connections to that game...

Bay Maximus said:
I could be wrong, but wasn't there a sequel of some sort of RCR released in Japan? I wonder if this new game will have any connections to that game...

It was a spin-off. Most people confuse it for being a sequel, but it's not.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Lord-Audie said:
Do you guys think that a person can enjoy this game without having RCR1 nostalgia?

That's my situation right now.
I think you have to at least have a love for beat-em-ups.

If you have that, you will probably be able to jump into this and enjoy it.

Lord-Audie said:
Do you guys think that a person can enjoy this game without having RCR1 nostalgia?

Depends on if they make the gameplay and exploration as fun as the original. Also, make sure to have a partner to run through it with. It made the original that much more fun.

TreIII

Bay Maximus said:

There really was no "true" sequel to Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom) up to now. Probably the best answer one could give before then would be its faux-expansion "Jidaigeki" (Technos Samurai, as it was called in translation circles). Which was basically RCR, the only difference was the setting.

jidaigeki-1.png

jidaigeki-4.png

Many things that RCR EX would later incorporate, actually originated in this older game. Least of which being how you could beat up various leaders of other groups and have them join your side. Even one of the Double Dragon twins could join you.

Lord-Audie said:

Go play RCR (or the EX remake) and find out.
TreIII said:
There really was no "true" sequel to Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom) up to now. Probably the best answer one could give before then would be its faux-expansion "Jidaigeki" (Technos Samurai, as it was called in translation circles). Which was basically RCR, the only difference was the setting.
The setting was really really different, though. Much easier to get lost than RCR's pretty straight path with only a bit of backtracking necessary.

TreIII

JoshuaJSlone said:
The setting was really really different, though. Much easier to get lost than RCR's pretty straight path with only a bit of backtracking necessary.

And to me, that was part of the charm! Less with the set levels in a straight line, and more with you being able to roam all over the countryside (with the opposing gangs being able to do likewise). You could even have brawls in the middle of towns (though nothing stopped you from popping in the shops to refuel before going right back into it!). :lol

If there was anything wrong with this system, it was the notion of how areas connected in weird ways, which made it a headache until you got the means to be able to manually navigate the map. Even so, I'm hoping that DTNM/RCR's sequel, they'll take some of those good ideas that Special fostered, and improve on them.

I'm so glad we know what system this is gonna be on. Will give me an excuse to use some of my Wii Points on something that actually matters. And I think the Dodgeball game that's coming out may be an updated version of the 360/PC game that they did already. But I'm there Day 1 just to show my support and love.

andymcc

Banned
User33 said:
Well the game was set to release around now and I haven't heard anything about it. I thought it was appropriate.

my heart raced for a moment though.

stop playing games w/ my heart. :(

CamHostage

User33 said:
Hmm...its summer now. Any word?

You mean the Japanese WiiWare version? The dodgeball game was officially delayed (but it's due out on the 12th, so things are happening,) and RCR2 was never dated, so I would figure they've just been overwhelmed by their ambitions. I don't think this one's too close though, the official site hasn't been updated since the announcement, they may have been overly-ambitious with the summer announcement.

Victrix

*beard*
Worst necrobump in quite some time

I somehow missed this thread, so I got to be excited, then crushed, all in one reading :(

kyoya

Wait, hold up folks, it appears that development may have been put on hold. There is supposedly insufficient development support along with copyright holder Million to develop it. More details will be coming forth as soon as it's available supposedly. This is what a October 9th, 2012 news update on the Miracle Kidz website reveals:

ダウンタウンシリーズの新作開発に関して ミリオン社と他社間での版権整理が不充分であり 発売日程の延期を回避するため物語2以降の開発を凍結し 完全新作に切り替えることにいたしました. タイトル詳細確定次第改めてお知らせいたします。

Link: http://mkb.sblo.jp/category/690148-1.html

Anyone know Japanese?

Top Bottom