• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

River City Ransom sequel coming to consoles summer 2011, PC 2012

Beardz

Drkirby said:
There already is a one:
61VT4tL8GAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hope its sprites look as nice as the PC Engine version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhUENyQhsKQ

Bleh, I'm going to buy a DS :|

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
n0b said:
Best coop game ever. I am curious as to what "online version for PCs" implies.

Those are horrible and if the game looked as ugly and blurred as that I would cry.
That is due to Youtube (Or maybe Emulator Filters), the game looks like this
Rivercityransom-pcengine.png

Since some of the Kunio/River City DS games have been brought up, I don't think it's too off-topic to point out that as part of Aksys's Japan Benefit Sale, Super Dodgeball Brawlers is $13, River City Soccer Hooligans is $15, and River City Super Sports Challenge is also $15. "until March 24th ... 100% of the proceeds will be donated to charity efforts in Japan"

Tain

I'm not crazy crazy about the original game, but going by the dodgeball release, I fully expect this to be a step up from, say, Scott Pilgrim. Might buy!

eshwaaz

A "Good God, I'm so old" moment - I played through the original game with a friend... when I was a freshman in college. Siiiiigh...

TreIII

Zee-Row said:
Who owns the rights to all of Techno's old IPs? I thought it was Atlus.

The Kunio-kun stuff is largely owned wholy by Million, a subsidiary of ASW who basically is made up of a number of Technos employees. Since a number of those same people do "Doujin" work as Miracle Kidz too, that's so much the better, as they can have their commercial pie and eat their indy cake too. :lol

As for the rest? Well, Double Dragon seems to be a thing that Million doesn't have access to, at the moment. And who can say if they even remember the likes of Combatribes or whatever...

LQX

Man I wish the team behind Scott Pilgrim the game were the ones making this. It would probably be too perfect.

TreIII

LQX said:
Man I wish the team behind Scott Pilgrim the game were the ones making this. It would probably be too perfect.

No thanks, personally...those who played the PC "River City Dodge Ball" should have perfect reason to trust that the original makers will deliver.

Oh wow! This is surprising news. I can't wait to check this out.

Hopefully they bring back the women with bricks in their handbags.

Lunchbox

Banned
these types of games dont hold up anymore

if they dont modernize it somehow, it'll be disappointing after the nostalgia runs out. 2d beatemups had their day

Londa

Banned
Lunchbox said:

if they dont modernize it somehow, it'll be disappointing after the nostalgia runs out. 2d beatemups had their day

from what I remember it was fun. As long as the gameplay keeps you interested does it really matter if its old with outdated graphics (tbh its got really good graphics for how old it is)?

River City Ransom was the only game that had ever mattered until the godly EX eclipsed it. The sequel simply CAN'T reach my level of expectations, but I can't wait to play it.

Lunchbox said:

I half agree it might not hold up, but not for the reason you give. Not due to the 2D beat'em up thing, because River City Ransom was never popular for being just another well done beat'em up. However, the things that set it apart in 1989 are no longer nearly as rare in 2011; like having one interconnected world rather than levels, and being an action game that lets you upgrade your character. I used to describe parts of games as reminding me of River City Ransom due to things like that, but I started doing it with so many games it became a useless descriptor.
Iron_Scimitar said:
Never played this. Wasnt this game stupid hard on Nintendo?
Nah, especially not on the lower difficulty. I suppose it would be harder if you purposefully went through without buying any stat upgrades or new moves.

TreIII said:
As for the rest? Well, Double Dragon seems to be a thing that Million doesn't have access to, at the moment.
They (Million) made the GBA EX version of Double Dragon as well. So either Million or Atlus have the rights to DD, seems so.

Lettuce

Zee-Row said:
Who owns the rights to all of Techno's old IPs? I thought it was Atlus.

Dunno but i sure hope this means we might see a reboot of Renegade and Double Dragon (the new iphone game is rather good!!)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Definitely interested in checking this out... never finished the original game though!

Call me a dirty whore - but I missed the Westernized sprites of NES RCR when I got the GBA remake. To hell with the purity of Japanese spirit blah blah game nerd nonsense. I want my jeans and T-shirt ruffians!

Here's to hoping the US release gets a nice coat of localization slapped on it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lunchbox said:

Pretty much. Just look at the Scott Pilgrim game. I was barely about to finish the game once.

Top Bottom