• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

River City Underground (PC) Launch trailer - Coming on February 27!

Skunkers

When's this going up on Steam, I still don't have the buy option available.

Edit: Someone said 8pm EST on the Community page.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Ahhhhh I'm just sitting refreshing like 5 screens, I need to go do something with my life

This feels like The Life of Pablo all over again

eastx

Boy, Conatus is sure taking its time on sending our codes out. Really, backers should've gotten codes like a day before the game went on sale.

In commemoration of the greatness that was RCR here is what I think one of best pieces of music to grace the NES.

https://youtu.be/kKFW1A1kkkI

Nice! River City Sports Challenge for PC and PS4 has a great remix of that version of the tune. Love that they snuck a little Double Dragon into the Kunio games.

OmegaDL50

I won't be getting it for quite some time but I'm looking forward to impressions! Please be good.

It's fantastic. An excellent follow up to the original RCR.

I do hope the Alex and Ryan teen versions are unlockable after the prologue though.

I'll whip an OT real quick or something, if anyone else isn't working on one yet.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
It's fantastic. An excellent follow up to the original RCR.

I do hope the Alex and Ryan teen versions are unlockable after the prologue though.

I'll whip an OT real quick or something, if anyone else isn't working on one yet.

Do iiiittt 😍

a bit salty that those who backed the game still didn't get their key...

Lol me too

I understand things have been tight all day tho

OmegaDL50

What should the OT name be?

I was thinking Just simply "BARF....again"

Some folks who never played the original might not understand the reference though.

eagledare

So... does it seem kinda shitty that Kickstarter backers don't have keys yet, but the game is already on sale? Is this a normal thing?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I don't know if a sequel to River City Ransom was ever going to be able to do it for you, man. I would say that this game, from what I have played, is pretty much perfect. I don't know how you could do it better.

The 3DS game moves *much* better. This feels barebones in comparison.

Spman2099

The 3DS game moves *much* better. This feels barebones in comparison.

I don't know about that, man. The combat system in Tokyo Rumble is WAY simpler, and I would argue, significantly less satisfying. Just the way you can juggle, and combo enemies, in Underground feels like it encourages a lot more creativity. The attacks themselves feel significantly more interesting in Underground as well. Characters like Provie are fun off the bat, before you even enhance them.

I also don't think it would be controversial to say that Tokyo Rumble is a bit of a mess visually, where as Underground looks amazing. It is visually consistent (unlike the messy visuals in Tokyo Rumble) and the animations are just worlds apart.

I like Tokyo Rumble, and I don't like dumping on it, but Underground is a far, far better game in every single aspect.

Playing this game after Double Dragon 4.. I'm really glad that ArcSys allowed them to use the license. DD4 was a good example of playing it far too safe. They made absolutely no attempt to make the game have a slight modern feel besides adding a nice juggle system, and widescreen support.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I don't know about that, man. The combat system in Tokyo Rumble is WAY simpler, and I would argue, significantly less satisfying. Just the way you can juggle, and combo enemies, in Underground feels like it encourages a lot more creativity.
You cna juggle people in TR. I mainly find myself juggling corpses in this game.

The attacks themselves feel significantly more interesting in Underground as well. Characters like Provie are fun off the bat, before you even enhance them.
Provie can punch, kick and do a sliding kick that is pointless since she can't do damage to a grounded opponent, and double jump before she's powered up.

That's not what I'd call interesting. Oh, and dozens of selectable characters. 90% are grapplers. Zzzzz.

I also don't think it would be controversial to say that Tokyo Rumble is a bit of a mess visually, where as Underground looks amazing. It is visually consistent (unlike the messy visuals in Tokyo Rumble) and the animations are just worlds apart.
The animations just make the game move at half speed.
I like Tokyo Rumble, and I don't like dumping on it, but Underground is a far, far better game in every single aspect.
Except mechanics and controls. Why is there a block button? Why is there a super move button? Why is every single thing mapped to a new button? It works perfectly fine with 3. Just because you have 9 buttons doesn't mean you need or should use all of them.

Spman2099

You cna juggle people in TR. I mainly find myself juggling corpses in this game.

Provie can punch, kick and do a sliding kick that is pointless since she can't do damage to a grounded opponent, and double jump before she's powered up.

That's not what I'd call interesting. Oh, and dozens of selectable characters. 90% are grapples. Zzzzz.

I have a hard time seeing this as a legitimate comment when you are being so insincere in the breakdown of Provie. She has a huge amount of mobility off the bat. Her slide is so very far from useless, as it allows you to do some crowd control, and it helps you quickly maneuver around your enemies. Her punch and kick are crazy fast, so she can help carry combos with little effort. Someone pops up, Provie can capitalize. Maybe you don't find her advanced mobility fun, I certainly do.

How about Paul, and his ability to seamlessly combo between his two starting attacks? Once again, I had a blast playing around with him and his combos before I even leveled him once.

You can boil them down to being the same, but it doesn't reflect how they play at all. Once again, it comes across as completely insincere, like you are trying to "win" the argument, not discuss the game.

Except mechanics and controls. Why is there a block button? Why is there a super move button? Why is every single thing mapped to a new button? It works perfectly fine with 3. Just because you have 9 buttons doesn't mean you need or should use all of them.

I think this argument moves in both directions... Like, why is it a problem? It controls well as is, but I am sure it would have been fine if they had used less buttons as well. I don't think it is anything to get worked up about.

I guess we just disagree. However, this is exactly what I wanted from this game; I guess for me to be happy you had to be disappointed? I will take that trade-off every day of the week. ;)

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I have a hard time seeing this as a legitimate comment when you are being so insincere in the breakdown of Provie. She has a huge amount of mobility off the bat. Her slide is so very far from useless, as it allows you to do some crowd control, and it helps you quickly maneuver around your enemies. Her punch and kick are crazy fast, so she can help carry combos with little effort. Someone pops up, Provie can capitalize. Maybe you don't find her advanced mobility fun, I certainly do.

How about Paul, and his ability to seamlessly combo between his two starting attacks? Once again, I had a blast playing around with him and his combos before I even leveled him once.

You can boil them down to being the same, but it doesn't reflect how they play at all. Once again, it comes across as completely insincere, like you are trying to "win" the argument, not discuss the game.
LOL. I'm being insincere by stating I don't find Provie's base form fun and explaining why?

I think the disingenuous statements aren't coming from me at this point.

In general the base fighting with every character is a snoozefest for me. Oh, I can hit one button or another. Sometimes one button takes precedence. Rah uniqueness.

I think this argument moves in both directions... Like, why is it a problem? It controls well as is, but I am sure it would have been fine if they had used less buttons as well. I don't think it is anything to get worked up about.

Adding complexity in the controls when there's no good reason to do so doesn't enhance the game. It just makes it annoying to play.

What does adding a block button actually do for you can makes it better? What does advancing guard add?

Why is splitting a special moves to a new modifier key and adding a stamina meter on top of that super neato great?

The decisions made are just bizarre. If they enhanced the gameplay or had any logical reason for their implementation, I'd be more inclined to give these decisions a pass rather than thinking they're detrimental to the game as a whole.

Peltz

Oh my goodness... there is a Mac version. Hold me GAF.

By the way, is this an official sequel? I don't see how else they could use the River City Ransom name...

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Oh my goodness... there is a Mac version. Hold me GAF.

By the way, is this an official sequel? I don't see how else they could use the River City Ransom name...

They got a license from Arc System Works. IIRC, part of the kickstarter was to get the funds to acquire it.

Spman2099

LOL. I'm being insincere by stating I don't find Provie's base form fun and explaining why?

I think the disingenuous statements aren't coming from me at this point.

In general the base fighting with every character is a snoozefest for me. Oh, I can hit one button or another. Sometimes one button takes precedence. Rah uniqueness.

I explained exactly what you were doing to be insincere; you were intentionally being reductive, and misrepresenting her move-set. But whatever, man. If anything is a snoozefest, it is trying to have a conversation with you. I'm out.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I explained exactly what you were doing to be insincere; you were intentionally being reductive, and misrepresenting her move-set. But whatever, man. If anything is a snoozefest, it is trying to have a conversation with you. I'm out.

All you said is "but she has good walk speed!".

I'm unimpressed by your one hit then run away crowd control argument as well given the reasons I offered for why the sliding attack is meh.

Since the enemies barely pay attention to you, you mainly just have to deal with one on one encounters unless you willfully charge into a crowd that would've otherwise just stood there doing nothing.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Since the enemies barely pay attention to you, you mainly just have to deal with one on one encounters unless you willfully charge into a crowd that would've otherwise just stood there doing nothing.

That's not true at all from my experience. Enemies tend to follow you across the screen, tag team you on both sides, so you need to watch out when you grapple, and come for you from any distance. In fact enemies tend to be so aggressive, I'm finding the game a bit too difficult at times. I've only ever seen the nerd-like enemies not acting when they are too far away so far.

Spman2099

That's not true at all from my experience. Enemies tend to follow you across the screen, tag team you on both sides, so you need to watch out when you grapple, and come for you from any distance. In fact enemies tend to be so aggressive, I'm finding the game a bit too difficult at times.

You would be better off just ignoring him, he isn't interested in being honest.

Grab some Octopus Rolls from Mao's and take a few trips to the sauna while you are at it. That should help you get suitably buff and help you beat back the barfing baddies. Beyond that, it is a good idea to knock people down so that you can quickly take out thugs one on one.

Top Bottom