• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Khoo (Penny Arcade President) resigns

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Kinda lost in all the E3 news - but

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2016/06/13/time1

Robert resigned a little while ago. I know I don’t have to worry about him, he’ll be okay. I’m not super okay right now! Crying at work is not the goal. Me and him are tight, though. But I do wonder whose life he will change next.

I didn’t really understand what Mike and I were making with Penny Arcade, at first. Robert understood it. In many ways, he understood it first. He taught us so much. We know what we want to be when we grow up, now, and it’s this. My goal now, and going forward, is to make him proud.

Press Release

Robert Khoo Steps Down as President at Penny Arcade

Jerry Holkins, Mike Krahulik to Fulfill Khoo’s Responsibilities

SEATTLE – June 13, 2016 – Penny Arcade’s Robert Khoo is stepping down on Friday, July 15 2016 after almost 15 years of work on Penny Arcade, PAX and Child’s Play Charity. Khoo will take some well-earned time off after working 365 days a year for more than a decade.

Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik, founders of Penny Arcade, will take the reins of the company's creative direction, focusing on the creation and licensing of Penny Arcade's stable of intellectual property.

“Robert's been with us basically forever, and the work we've done together speaks for itself,” Holkins said. “I had the chance to watch him accomplish the impossible more times than I can count. I would wish him luck, but he's never needed it. He makes his own.”

Khoo worked with Krahulik and Holkins to take Penny Arcade from a web-comic series to a booming business, co-founded the worldwide PAX events and served as manager and co-founder of Child’s Play, a non-profit charity improving the lives of children in hospitals and domestic violence shelters around the globe by providing them with consoles and games. Child’s Play has raised more than $40 million since 2003.

“It’s been an immeasurable privilege serving Penny Arcade’s audience and helping more than a million individuals come together for their love of gaming at PAX events,” said Khoo. “I want to thank my colleagues for sharing this incredible journey and I look forward to witnessing Penny Arcade’s continued growth.”

Uh oh.

Robert was pretty much the dude who kept them out of trouble and from making even bigger problems outta the shit they got into.

Dude ran that shit.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I get why he's leaving - dude's been working basically 24/7/365 (legitimately) for 15 years. He needs time off (and I mean like years off) - and he's pretty well off by now I'm sure.

But it's still a sad day. PA was one of the webcomics that paved the way for webcomics to be a day job for folks, and Robert was pretty much the mastermind of that.

Giolon

Whoa, crazy. I hope they find a new detail person to run everything, because Mike and Jerry do not seem like the type to keep all that shit together.

PAX to become infinitely less organized.

Those two need to hire a new keeper stat.

I'd imagine he wouldn't have left if the company wasn't already in a state where it wouldn't fall apart immediately without him. While Gabe/Tycho are technically inheriting his position, in practice most of his old responsibilities are most likely being handled by other people.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Uh oh.

Robert was pretty much the dude who kept them out of trouble and from making even bigger problems outta the shit they got into.

Dude ran that shit.

I look forward to hearing more from the Penny Arcade founders on social media

Ah, time for my semi-annual trip to PA to see how much more ridiculous the art has gotten.

And...yup! Seems like a parody of the last time I checked. Everything's in order.

Kemal86

A few years ago in an episode of PATV, Khoo was asked about his long-term plan for Penny Arcade. He talked about how for a business to continue to grow, eventually, the person at the top needs to step down. He mentioned then that he had a 10 year plan for PA and that someday that plan would be complete, and he would probably resign then for the good of the company.

(I'm probably butchering this a little bit, but that was the basics of what he said)

Dude was an incredibly positive and influential force at PA. Wouldn't have become what it is without him and it won't be the same without him, but hopefully he'll enjoy a well-deserved, well-earned break. Best of luck to Robert, and everyone else at PA going forward.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
A few years ago in an episode of PATV, Khoo was asked about his long-term plan for Penny Arcade. He talked about how for a business to continue to grow, eventually, the person at the top needs to step down. He mentioned then that he had a 10 year plan for PA and that someday that plan would be complete, and he would probably resign then for the good of the company.

(I'm probably butchering this a little bit, but that was the basics of what he said)

Huh. That's foresight for ya I suppose.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Uh oh.

Dude ran that shit.

didn't they sell off the logistics of PAX to Reed Expo anyway? I don't think they are running most of it beyond some of the content. It's not like the old days where Khoo was mission central on it.

End of a crazy era and run there. Can't wait to see what he does next

Nephtes

Woah!
My impression was that he ran the ship really well... don't know how you replace that kind of talent. I mean look at where they were before Khoo and where they are now.

Was it all Khoo? No. Could Jerry and Mike have done it without him? No.

Met him once at E3 2005...
So if he's reading this: thanks for the free Penny Arcade swag!

Some of the signed stuff still adorns my desk at work...

I still remember how psyched I was when I got that first email from him saying "We need to talk" that turned into us finishing off Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness series.

Class act all the way and I wish him luck with his future endeavors.

Ophelion

I'd imagine he wouldn't have left if the company wasn't already in a state where it wouldn't fall apart immediately without him. While Gabe/Tycho are technically inheriting his position, in practice most of his old responsibilities are most likely being handled by other people.

Ah, yes. You're probably correct. Alright, I retract my former statement.

Some well earned time off for that guy.

Didn't Khoo have a protege helping him run the business? Why do the lunatics (e.g. Mike+Jerry) get to run the asylum again?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
didn't they sell off the logistics of PAX to Reed Expo anyway? I don't think they are running most of it beyond some of the content. It's not like the old days where Khoo was mission central on it.

End of a crazy era and run there. Can't wait to see what he does next

They have a pretty symbiotic relationship with Reed; they are way more hands on with PAX then I think any other Reed Expo convention. I think functionally Robert has to sign off on anything out of the ordinary, and I think they have full time employees who basically work with Reed Expo for PAX.

Some well earned time off for that guy.

Didn't Khoo have a protege helping him run the business? Why do the lunatics (e.g. Mike+Jerry) get to run the asylum again?

I believe so.

Damn... I'm pretty shocked by this.

He was essentially the father of Penny Arcade, Mike and Jerry being the talented kids who ran the comedy show.

Whomever steps into his old role has immeasurable shoes to fill.

LiK

heard Khoo was what kept the ship going straight. this is pretty bad news for PA and PAX in general.

Loxley

I get why he's leaving - dude's been working basically 24/7/365 (legitimately) for 15 years. He needs time off (and I mean like years off) - and he's pretty well off by now I'm sure.

But it's still a sad day. PA was one of the webcomics that paved the way for webcomics to be a day job for folks, and Robert was pretty much the mastermind of that.

Yep, based on PATV, Robert basically ate, slept, and breathed Penny Arcade non-stop ever since he was brought on-board 15 years agao. He was genuinely the one steering that ship and knew the business angle of everything when Mike & Jerry took care of the creative side.

Robert should have zero problem finding work (assuming he hasn't already), the guy is a super hard worker.

vcc

Khoo took 2 foolish artists with some interesting content and made a vast business empire and powerful brand. That guy both deserves a long vacation and he probably is getting a lot of serious offers for the leadership of other stuff.

Fewr

Khoo will take some well-earned time off after working 365 days a year for more than a decade.
If you want to brag about this then show me hrs per week. Any banker does 365 days a year for more than a decade.

Oh, wow. The man has an incredible work ethic, and is always really supportive to artists outside of PA. I remember Erica Moen talking about all the advice he gave her. I hope he's happy in whatever he does next - after some vacation time, of course.

Replicant

That's a humble and selfless statement from a CEO. You know damn well other CEOs would just stick around for easy money. But I think it's better for your portfolio to quit while you're ahead.

Ah, time for my semi-annual trip to PA to see how much more ridiculous the art has gotten.

And...yup! Seems like a parody of the last time I checked. Everything's in order.

Holy cow, you weren't kidding. What the heck happened to the art? It looked better five years ago. Now everything is exaggerated to the nth degree. Yuck.

If you want to brag about this then show me hrs per week. Any banker does 365 days a year for more than a decade.

That's right, and they should be happy to even have the privilege to have any work at all! We should get rid of weekends because only lazy people need a day off. Thank god bankers(actual job title?) are around to show us what real work ethic is.

entremet

The inmates are now running the asylum.
I think the PA Guys know their limitations by now. They'll hire a seasoned executive.

Khoo fell on their lap. He was a fan that offered to work for free after providing them a business plan.

That's very hard to recruit.

I think the PA Guys know their limitations by now. They'll hire a seasoned executive.
As I understand it, no, the job has been dissolved, with the various duties being split among current staff. Part of Khoo's long-term goal was to prepare the company to survive without him. And I'm sure he'll spend the next month pounding it into everyone as they get used to it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

so do you have something personal against this guy, or are you just the kind of jerk that likes shitting on people for no good reason other than to feel better about yourself?

Beartruck

People claim he's just experimenting with his style, but it's really slapdash in some spots. Last friday's comic gabe had 6 fingers in the last panel.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Last I saw it was about 80 hours a week as an average. A couple of the investment bankers who are enforcers are posting on FB of "I have no idea how he managed to grind this long without burnout"

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I honestly can't wait to see what this guy does next if he doesnt just downright retire. Guy took the trajectory of a funny but average webcomic and threw it to the moon.

element

Khoo is a good dude, but Mike and Jerry would have still be making tiny comics begging for money to pay their hosting fees and working at Circuit City without Khoo's leadership. He seriously changed their lives.

Top Bottom