• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

What would all you consider the quintessential band song on all four primary instruments (Guitar/Drums/Bass/Vocals) in Rock Band? I've been thinking on this the past few days and I think for me, it's Complexity of Light, which, unfortunately, is a RBN song so we may never see it again.

There are so many good tracks on RBN. I'll cross my fingers we'll see them again someday.

So is the Vice article correct about online multiplayer? Isn't that the only reason people enjoyed playing RB? Well, it's the main reason I did anyway.

I have owned every Rock Band minus Beatles and Green Day and have literally never played online. I just play solo if no one else is around. That said, I feel like that's an important feature that they need to get working for those that want it.

Who knew Harmonix would be so regressive this time around. This, along with no keys and the inevitable "down-porting" of great RB3 DLC is very disappointing to hear. What is even exciting people? To play the same game on a different console?

What would all you consider the quintessential band song on all four primary instruments (Guitar/Drums/Bass/Vocals) in Rock Band? I've been thinking on this the past few days and I think for me, it's Complexity of Light, which, unfortunately, is a RBN song so we may never see it again.

There are so many good tracks on RBN. I'll cross my fingers we'll see them again someday.

Good pick. I have RBN to thank for getting me into Children of Nova. Great band and must be damn hard to sing those songs with how high that guys can sing. I know their songs on drums are so hard. Really Fun on Drums™ though.

Not sure what I'd pick as my song yet. I'll have to think about that. Lots of great songs to choose from. Kind of leaning towards something from Iron Maiden. Lots of their songs are a blast to play.

Run to the Hills, or Bohemian Rhapsody if keyboard is added.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, the one bonus about no multiplayer is that I can get the Xbone version and not worry about playing with my friends anymore. lol

Yaari

I don't for a second believe they will skip online tbh. It's probably the new "we won't talk about features yet", or whatever. I'm sure they will get it done.

That's actually a really difficult question. I agree with the Iron Maiden suggestions previously mentioned, but from there I've no idea. I keep being drawn back to YYZ as the perfect band song, but there aren't any vocals in it which obviously means it doesn't fit the criteria.

SFenton

Green Grass and High Tides.

zulux21

I'd have to go through my list again but off the top of my head I think I would have to go with Hysteria by muse as it's one of the few songs that I find to be a blast to play on every single part and could play repeatedly, and in general I am not a fan of Muse (I just like a few of their songs)

My group and myself are not super serious players though, while we can play a lot of songs on expert we can't play all of them. Personally I dislike stuff like green grass and run to the hills though (green grass goes on for way to long, and I don't like the vocals on either which is the main thing of interest for rock band for me.)

Blue Collar Man

GamerJM

Banned

I'd say Foreplay/Long Time. Maybe also Free Bird. There are a couple other songs (they're both DLC) that I'm forgetting too.

jond76

Banned
Blue Collar Man

I'd say Foreplay/Long Time. Maybe also Free Bird. There are a couple other songs (they're both DLC) that I'm forgetting too.

Good picks.

Shadows of the Night is one I pick to torture people with my singing while they try to play along.

For some reason Eye of the Tiger and Rio stand out as classics. Probably because that was around the dawn of my Rock Band era.

A lot of the Rock Band 1 songs are going to benefit greatly from the addition of Harmonies.

Won't Get Fooled Again, Green Grass & High Tides, Foreplay/Longtime, Pleasure (Pleasure), and Timmy & the Lords of the Underworld.

I don't know about you guys but I'm really stoked to finally be able to sing the harmonies on those songs!

Well, the one bonus about no multiplayer is that I can get the Xbone version and not worry about playing with my friends anymore. lol

Lol true. I am in a same position. My friend had it on PS3, and I had it on 360. We both want to transfer our songs. So it's coming down to being able to play together or one of us not being able to transfer

Foreplay/Long Time is still the best for a whole band. Bohemian Rhapsody and Somebody to Love are god tier if you can get harmonies going.
I also have a big soft spot for Roll With the Changes.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Rock Band 4 isn't coming to PC due to piracy concerns.

I guess I can understand it, since all of Rock Band's content is licensed and all that.

To be totally clear, this is not about software piracy. Daniel didn't even MENTION piracy, so it's disappointing (but I guess not surprising) to see his comments taken out of context. So before this gets out of hand...

We’re not concerned about software piracy on PC. We have and will release games for PC. In fact, last year we released A City Sleeps for PC, Mac, and Linux. As Daniel stated, the security in question is related to licensed music in the game. PlayStation4 and Xbox One have robust functionality in that area. It’s added security that’s handled by the platform holders. In the case of more open platforms like PC, we’re responsible for that. It’s something we can build. It’s not off the table for the future, however we’re first focusing on delivering Rock Band 4 for Playstation 4 and Xbox One this holiday.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Who knew Harmonix would be so regressive this time around. This, along with no keys and the inevitable "down-porting" of great RB3 DLC is very disappointing to hear. What is even exciting people? To play the same game on a different console?

Down-porting? What does that mean exactly? Keys and Pro notwithstanding, previous-gen DLC will actually have more features/functionality than it did in RB3, RB2, RB1, etc. In fact, we've already talked about how harmonies have been added to songs that previously did not have them authored, and there's more stuff to come.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be totally clear, this is not about software piracy. Daniel didn't even MENTION piracy, so it's disappointing (but I guess not surprising) to see his comments taken out of context. So before this gets out of hand...

We’re not concerned about software piracy on PC. We have and will release games for PC. In fact, last year we released A City Sleeps for PC, Mac, and Linux. As Daniel stated, the security in question is related to licensed music in the game. PlayStation4 and Xbox One have robust functionality in that area. It’s added security that’s handled by the platform holders. In the case of more open platforms like PC, we’re responsible for that. It’s something we can build. It’s not off the table for the future, however we’re first focusing on delivering Rock Band 4 for Playstation 4 and Xbox One this holiday.
Sort of a related question, but do music studios know about... well, people ripping songs from Xbox/PS3 discs/DLC and getting at the master track stuff that way?

I don't have any idea of what the "scene" is like, but I imagine that someone will at some point figure out how to read files on a PS4/Xbone disc...

FyreWulff

Long shot hope you're re-certing every song as DLC again, you guys went through each chart and added stuff like Trill Lanes and bass solos to pre-RB3 exports and DLC.

And [nerdtime] did stuff like adding the missing cymbals to Wanted Dead Or Alive to the original RB1 version, like you did when the song was re-released as an RB3 version [/nerdtime]

For what it's worth, I'd love a PC version to play with my Xbox peripherals on. I doubt my dlc would carry over, and I wouldn't play it in a party setting, but the customs would be sick.

Ah well, I guess that's why it wouldn't really work out anyway :(

Though I must say Rocksmith came to PC and seems to be doing well. Just a thought.

vg260

It might help to post in the discussion here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1057028

Sort of a related question, but do music studios know about... well, people ripping songs from Xbox/PS3 discs/DLC and getting at the master track stuff that way?

I don't have any idea of what the "scene" is like, but I imagine that someone will at some point figure out how to read files on a PS4/Xbone disc...

That's kind of stuff stopped ages ago as far as I was aware, with file formats changing and all that. Not checked the Frets on Fire forums for, well, years, (and that's the only place I can think of where game ripped master tracks would be a thing) but I recall that dwindling at the start of the year after the Space Truckin'/Hymn #43/Take Back the City release. After that it was just lower quality rips from the Wii discs for the GH games. Don't even think that they ripped the Beatles game and all after that, and if they did it was definitely from the Wii release.

With no Wii U release, better security on PSN/XBL and better encryption on Harmonix's end this shouldn't be a problem at all. Ripping the discs is one thing, finding the files and getting them in a usable state is another.

nictron

Down-Porting of RB3 DLC?

I searched and couldn't find anything.

To be honest, most of Rock Band's DLC is being up-ported with support for harmonies. Post-RB3 tracks losing keys and pro support sucks, but it's understandable.

creatchee

I don't know if it's the quintessential band song, but I can say without hesitation that the song I've played the most online from other people picking it was Welcome Home by Coheed & Cambria.

pacman85

To be honest, most of Rock Band's DLC is being up-ported with support for harmonies. Post-RB3 tracks losing keys and pro support sucks, but it's understandable.
I will be curious to see if they keep the keys charts in the song files. You know, just in case they decide to add keys support down the line so that they could just update the game and the keys charts to pull from would already be there in the DLC song files. Heck, even some of the pre-RB3 DLC songs had keys charted for them by the same guys that are giving all the harmony charts to Harmonix so hopefully they add those in too. You never know, I'm holding out hope!

espher

Kickstart My Heart is the quintessential party starter for me.

It's not my favourite FB track, but it's always a good one.

PlatStrat

Neo Member
I will be curious to see if they keep the keys charts in the song files. You know, just in case they decide to add keys support down the line so that they could just update the game and the keys charts to pull from would already be there in the DLC song files. Heck, even some of the pre-RB3 DLC songs had keys charted for them by the same guys that are giving all the harmony charts to Harmonix so hopefully they add those in too. You never know, I'm holding out hope!
I highly doubt they would discard charts and metadata that they worked hard on. My assumption is that those songs will still have the charts and everything intact just the new engine will account for that and essentially "disable" those keys parts. And then if they add keys back in they could just flip the switch and enable them.

pacman85

I highly doubt they would discard charts and metadata that they worked hard on. My assumption is that those songs will still have the charts and everything intact just the new engine will account for that and essentially "disable" those keys parts. And then if they add keys back in they could just flip the switch and enable them.
Yeah, that would make sense. I would also be curious to know how much thought was put into the design of the note charts, background, etc. based on whether keys will ever come back or not. I would love to think it would be as simple as them flipping a switch but I also wonder if that would complicate other things in the game (maybe even stuff behind the scenes nobody would know about except the developers on the game) I'm not thinking of right now.

ViciousDS

Banned
if there is no online thats kind of lame. I met so many new friends, band mates and still talk to them to this day because of online quickplay. The tour thing never bothered me, but being able to just bum out online with friends was always a big thing. Hope I can continue to just quickplay search....was lots of fun.

zulux21

I forgot to ask when you confirmed that all wireless instruments will work on rock band 4, does this include the ability to play the keyboard as a guitar or bass?

I have come to terms with not getting more keys outside of rock band 3, but being able to use the keyboard as a guitar without strumming is the only way a few of my friends will even play rock band, so it would be great if it at least still has that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's kind of stuff stopped ages ago as far as I was aware, with file formats changing and all that. Not checked the Frets on Fire forums for, well, years, (and that's the only place I can think of where game ripped master tracks would be a thing) but I recall that dwindling at the start of the year after the Space Truckin'/Hymn #43/Take Back the City release. After that it was just lower quality rips from the Wii discs for the GH games. Don't even think that they ripped the Beatles game and all after that, and if they did it was definitely from the Wii release.

With no Wii U release, better security on PSN/XBL and better encryption on Harmonix's end this shouldn't be a problem at all. Ripping the discs is one thing, finding the files and getting them in a usable state is another.
That makes sense. Security through obfuscation. I guess at some point it's not worth the effort to try to get those files based on the amount of work required to find them/hack the technology that protects them.

I will be sad if some basic online ain't there at launch. They have said they are treating the game as a platform now more than ever though so as long as the updates dont dry out too quickly I wont mind it being kinda barebones at launch. The sales of the game and DLC should lead to more funds being put into developing more features for this game.

I don't think I've ever played Rock Band online. It's always been with friends.

I played online one or twice and that was it. The only things I remember are the other players bitching about me picking hard instead of expert for the session, and then them having next to none of the same DLC as me. The whining continued through the play session as well. At the end they blamed me playing on hard and not expert as the reason we sucked.

I never went back online after that. Fuck that noise. But, I have played with a full group at parties many times, and that is a divine experience.

Top Bottom