• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

9FGKXOI.jpg

Hahahaha. Fucking perfect

Gorger

wait what the fuck is the guitar/bass doing here

https://youtu.be/gBWSG226CrQ?t=348

EEXvPbU.jpg

iMifgC5.jpg

edit: hold a sec, I can tell what legacy song they're playing. brb

edit2:

they're playing I Believe In A Thing Called Love at around the end of the solo

https://youtu.be/uv5OLvLDZ-I?t=140

What the hell is going on in that picture? This is a completely new mechanic, and I have no idea how it works. Have they said anything about it? Also if it is believe in a thing called love, it looks like they're changing the old songs from the original version to match new mechanics introduced in RB4.

Edit: The Video was just made private. Was it released too soon?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Last-gen compatibility with wireless hardware on new consoles is not a rumor; it's happening. PS3 to PS4 with the existing hardware/dongle; Xbox 360 to Xbox One with a low-cost dongle you can purchase. First thing's first is testing this with the instruments we made, but we intend to support as many of those legacy wireless instruments as possible.

200_s.gif

I was excited for this until I realized i'm just going to buy new instruments anyways lol.

They've said all previous songs are in RB4, but does that include Rock 'n' Roll Star and Hier kommt Alex? They weren't compatible in 3 and the former is still available to download. Obviously it's too late to expect them to work in RB3 but I can still hope for 4, right?

Also, I really hope that "Hello x!" bit for vocalists at the start of songs isn't mandatory. Like, really hope not. If I want to feel like a doofus when singing with friends I'd like to do it on my own terms.

Also, I really hope that "Hello x!" bit for vocalists at the start of songs isn't mandatory. Like, really hope not. If I want to feel like a doofus when singing with friends I'd like to do it on my own terms.

I just plan to say "cunty pissflaps" or something else totally unrelated to the text on screen when playing with a group.

MajorMane

wait what the fuck is the guitar/bass doing here

https://youtu.be/gBWSG226CrQ?t=348

EEXvPbU.jpg

iMifgC5.jpg

edit: hold a sec, I can tell what legacy song they're playing. brb

edit2:

they're playing I Believe In A Thing Called Love at around the end of the solo

https://youtu.be/uv5OLvLDZ-I?t=140

This is really interesting. I wonder if they've implemented a freestyle mode for drums or guitar for points? I was thinking they would do something like that or possibly similar to the vocalist's opening lines. Either way, I'm sure we'll find out more about it soon. About two weeks to E3!

I was excited for this until I realized i'm just going to buy new instruments anyways lol.

I'm doing the same thing, but it never hurts to have backup instruments, right?

winstano

Got to play rb4 today in London, here's my preview: http://nextgengamingblog.com/blog/rock-band-4-preview/

I asked the question about whether Guitar Hero peripherals would work and was told "if it works in rock band on last gen, it works on rock band this gen", which is great news for me as I have the world tour bundle from way back when. Rock Band looks like the better option between the 2 games right now, doc and instrument support nailed it for me

All of my instruments are super used, I might end up buying new ones as I go along. My mic is wired though, so that'll be my first purchase.

And this game is the only reason I am going to try and get a next Gen console. :(

Same here, lol. Well, I have a Wii U, but mainly just because I need Mario in my life.

But yes, I am getting an XBONE this year just because of this game.

Last-gen compatibility with wireless hardware on new consoles is not a rumor; it's happening. PS3 to PS4 with the existing hardware/dongle; Xbox 360 to Xbox One with a low-cost dongle you can purchase. First thing's first is testing this with the instruments we made, but we intend to support as many of those legacy wireless instruments as possible.

200_s.gif

Thank you, Based Harmonix.

Interfectum

Would you rather Polygon send somebody who is mega hyped for the game and will tell you it's the Holy City no matter what it's actually like? It's actually refreshing that there are articles out there that aren't all sploogefests.

At least he recognized the appeal, even if he didn't share it.

Yes, I would rather have that than the narcissist garbage that was posted in that article.

ElNino

What about the RB1 wired drums? I still have mine, with the Goodwood drum heads, so I'd like to use that if possible.

Also, still have my Wood Strat as well so I hope that works as a normal RB guitar (I think it does).

pacman85

My mic is wired though, so that'll be my first purchase.
Are you saying that you will get a mic first because the new ones will be wireless? It seems like every time they have showed the new mic so far, it has been wired. Just an FYI. They make a wireless one as well but for now, wired is all they have shown.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
What about the RB1 wired drums? I still have mine, with the Goodwood drum heads, so I'd like to use that if possible.

Also, still have my Wood Strat as well so I hope that works as a normal RB guitar (I think it does).

We have to lock wireless first, as that hits the most users (there are far more wireless instruments out there than wired). Barring technical and software issues that might make it so we can't support a device, we'd like to support as much as possible, but we don't have anything to say or confirm beyond wireless instruments yet. Stay tuned!

ElNino

We have to lock wireless first, as that hits the most users (there are far more wireless instruments out there than wired). Barring technical and software issues that might make it so we can't support a device, we'd like to support as much as possible, but we don't have anything to say or confirm beyond wireless instruments yet. Stay tuned!
Fair enough, but I hope you can announce soon enough ahead of release in case I need to get the full band bundle for RB4.

I figured you guys were probably just playing it safe with the announcements.

Please realize that while I'm sure we MIDI adapter drummers are but a small percentage of overall players, we really really really really don't want to go back to plastic drums. Some of us are heavily invested in e-drum kits, please don't leave us out in the cold!

FyreWulff

Hmm, will my wired one be backwards compatible? I've only seen mention of wireless instruments, and I'm hoping the Xbone isn't so different that a USB plug in mic won't work, but you never know heh.

The mics should work. They were the only console-neutral thing in the previous games, they're just standard USB mics.

I personally use mine to record stuff in Windows when not rocking out with it.

I figured you guys were probably just playing it safe with the announcements.

Please realize that while I'm sure we MIDI adapter drummers are but a small percentage of overall players, we really really really really don't want to go back to plastic drums. Some of us are heavily invested in e-drum kits, please don't leave us out in the cold!

Hopefully the worst case scenario is just that Harmonix has to make One/PS4 specific MIDIPros

pacman85

Hmm, will my wired one be backwards compatible? I've only seen mention of wireless instruments, and I'm hoping the Xbone isn't so different that a USB plug in mic won't work, but you never know heh.
Yeah, like FyreWulff says, I don't see why your current mic wouldn't work. The guitar and drums they have shown/talked about already have been wireless so maybe that's what your are thinking about.

Trakan

So is the Vice article correct about online multiplayer? Isn't that the only reason people enjoyed playing RB? Well, it's the main reason I did anyway.

zulux21

So is the Vice article correct about online multiplayer? Isn't that the only reason people enjoyed playing RB? Well, it's the main reason I did anyway.

o_O;?
I avoided online like the plague.... I really couldn't care less about playing with random AI (what I call other players because as far as I am concerned they are just random AI) on the internet as if I am going to play with my friends it's gonna be where I can hit them for being stupid :p I played rock band with a lot of people in college, I don't think any of us ever touched the online as it's always way better locally.

in that regards though I have no clue what you are talking about with vice article or what they said about online multiplayer.

_woLf

The only time I ever really played Rock Band online was when I managed to get the gold drum emblem on RB1. Otherwise I never did it. Always enjoyed offline MP with friends.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I did play online all the time with friends. It was a fucking blast. And back in the good old RBGAF days, it was great watching BBG's streams of him playing with the thread regulars. I personally loved online.

What article is this? Please don't say they are saying there is no online multiplayer. I play that shit all the time. Hell, just a few weeks ago I played with a random and we ended up playing for a few hours shooting the shit. I'm looking forward to playing online the RBGAF again.

FyreWulff

What article is this? Please don't say they are saying there is no online multiplayer. I play that shit all the time. Hell, just a few weeks ago I played with a random and we ended up playing for a few hours shooting the shit. I'm looking forward to playing online the RBGAF again.

http://www.vice.com/read/rock-band-4-promises-to-be-much-more-than-a-new-gen-encore-822
Is it going to support online play at all? In case you can't get your mates over or you have some awful disease or something.

We're still working through those details, but that sort of asynchronous multiplayer set-up is very compelling, and we know that people do want it, but it's very expensive. We're weighing that feature up against some of the other stuff that we're doing. One of the interesting things about our strategy here is that, just because some feature isn't there at launch, doesn't mean it won't be later on. We're going to respond to people telling us what they want. When players wish they could do things that they can't, we're going to be a virtual phone call away.

MajorMane

Docm77 attended a Rock Band 4 event in Munich recently and he just put out a vlog about the experience there. It's mostly a vlog type video, but he does have some video of gameplay, the presentation before they were allowed to play (the guy from Harmonix not so subtly hinted that we would be getting information at E3 and seemed pretty exctied about it), and a little closer look at the instruments. Overall, nothing really new, but still interesting to see his thoughts on it.

Online's a big deal for me too, so hopefully it's something that they've considered already and have decided that it's important. It is reassuring that they keep stressing that they'll be able to add in more features post-launch. It shows that they're dedicated to the game like they always have been.

Remember that Harmonix survey a while back?

You had to rank shit you wanted in the game, and how often you played online.

I'm sure everything is planned, but they're getting it out when they have the top NEEDED features. Online (vs just leaderboards) is a beast. I'm sure they're working on it, and it'll be post launch.

zulux21

I personally don't play online, but that is really weird that it may not be there at all when the game launches.

it's expensive to implement and time consuming to bug test. It's possible their research has shown that people would prefer a local focused experience first with online to be added later.

I mean personally I am fine if online play is never added. It will add absolutely nothing to the game for me. I understand that others can want it though, and for them I hope that it is added as I want this game to succeed so I can continue to get songs for it for a long time.

Daigoro

i played online like twice maybe, and i have thousands of hours of RB under my belt.

RB is the ultimate co-op party game. feel bad for people who havent gotten to experience that in all its glory.

no online is a complete non issue for me, but i can see how it would be important for other people. though i feel bad if that's their main mode of playing the game.

XShagrath

Not having online play when they already had in all of their previous games is silly. I've got friends across the world that I enjoy playing with, and taking away that option is a huge deal for me.

FyreWulff

If there's no online in the game, I would still get the game but I wouldn't be in a rush to do it. The appeal of getting it at or near launch would be to play online while the iron is hot and a bunch of people are on for quick games.

With no online play, that would be a non-factor so I'd just wait a bit to actually get the game.

They said before that versus multiplayer was cut in RB3 because <2% of RB1 and 2 users ever used the functionality, but if they're willing to ship without online co-op MP then I'm guessing regular co-op play wasn't very far above vs adoption rate.

I find it really strange that Harmonix, who included online play in the original Amplitude and Rock Band, is now (possibly/temporarily in the case of Rock Band) omitting those features in newer releases. I remember the online multiplayer stretch goal for Amplitude being added not long after it got funded and feeling really bummed about it since it had no real chance.

Is it because they're independent and now have to foot the bill for servers or something? I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here.

FyreWulff

I find it really strange that Harmonix, who included online play in the original Amplitude and Rock Band, is now (possibly/temporarily in the case of Rock Band) omitting those features in newer releases. I remember the online multiplayer stretch goal for Amplitude being added not long after it got funded and feeling really bummed about it since it had no real chance.

Is it because they're independent and now have to foot the bill for servers or something? I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here.

I'll wait for clarification. The response almost sounded like they were talking about leaderboards, since they referred to Rock Band Blitz as being asynchronous multiplayer**, and other developers tend to refer to "not playing at the same time but doing something that interacts with each other" as such

** ignoring the technical meaning of 'asynchronous networking', which is a networking model used by most MP games, the other usually being lockstep networking

Top Bottom