• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band 4 announced for PS4 and Xbox One

Storm360

The dream theater song is great, I have it as a custom song on RB3 and it's really fun to play.

Kinda sad it's not the Reel Big Fish version of Brown Eyed Girl, which sounds like it would probably be funner to play, but still a nice pick.

MajorMane

New setlist songs have been announced:

CJzNLvdUAAE65x9.jpg

https://twitter.com/RockBand/status/620596454038507520

Toys in the Attic was the song I was really hoping for if we got more Aerosmith. Overall, very solid picks for all these bands so far considering what we have as DLC.

Has anyone seen the new look and UI interface of the highway and the gems on the new RB4 tracks announce trailer? Whatdya guys think?

YouTube 60fps link here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9IBvmwxSDU

This looks so much better! My one gripe - and I'm sure it's something I could get used to - is that the HO/PO's should be just a tad bit more differentiated from the regular notes. But otherwise fantastic.

have they 100% confirmed if old instruments will work with this yet? Last I heard was from the OP when they said they are looking into it. Will determine if I buy the game or not

MajorMane

have they 100% confirmed if old instruments will work with this yet? Last I heard was from the OP when they said they are looking into it. Will determine if I buy the game or not

Wireless Harmonix instruments are a lock (and by that, I do believe all wireless instruments will.) Wired and drum kits are still getting worked on.

AlStrong

Has anyone seen the new look and UI interface of the highway and the gems on the new RB4 tracks announce trailer? Whatdya guys think?

Not sure I care for the bloom lighting, particularly for the drum notes.

The HOPOs could maybe be a touch smaller still to further differentiate from regular notes or maybe use a plainer graphic for those. I dunno, maybe it's just something I have to get used to again. They're visually busy, that's for sure. The previous games seemed easier to identify them for some reason, maybe it's the animated graphic confusing me here.

vg260

We need some "Alexander The Great" up in this bitch. Would be a perfect companion piece to the "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner" DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAbSqr7Gs8s

SiT is my fav album of all time, so I'd love something else from it. I really want Caught Somewhere in Time for the gorgeous solo section, but I think the likelihood for that or the above is not very great, unfortunately. If anything I'd expect Heaven Can't Wait.

My bet would be on something off the new album.

I wonder what the odds are of any more Nine Inch Nails. I know pretty much all of their big hits are in as DLC but there's still more I want to see, especially from The Fragile and Year Zero.

jakeellis01

This looks so much better! My one gripe - and I'm sure it's something I could get used to - is that the HO/PO's should be just a tad bit more differentiated from the regular notes. But otherwise fantastic.

I agree, but I'm sure we'll get used to it...

Some stuff I noticed:
- Bass x6 (Bass Grove) doesn't have a lighter shade of blue than other instruments.. but highway patterns start forming at around x4. Wish bass had that lighter blueish highway, it easily to distinguish bass with that.
- The drums kickpedal doesn't shake the highway, I kinda liked that.
- The gems has some kind of electric animation inside, not sure if they're distracting.
- The color palette of the gems seems to be darker this time around, but more vibrant.
- The HO/PO seem more RockBand 1-ish than the later RockBands.
- They show off the new drum fill feature that they didn't turn off for some reason, which doesn't look like a great idea since charts seem way off for drum fills.
- There is also a 'band streak' represented afterward by some-kind of a purple highway, which I have no idea what it's all about. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9IBvmwxSDU&t=0m46s

Avenged sevenfold, korn and slipknot? Wtf. That's some horrendous shit

There's a surprisingly large portion of the Rock Band audience that is way into that crap (Explaining why people constantly choose Sevenfold songs when playing online), and Harmonix has to throw them a few bones to ensure they come back. I'm willing to bet that's why Hail to the King was one of the first announced songs.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
There's a surprisingly large portion of the Rock Band audience that is way into that crap (Explaining why people constantly choose Sevenfold songs when playing online), and Harmonix has to throw them a few bones to ensure they come back. I'm willing to bet that's why Hail to the King was one of the first announced songs.

"Hail to the King" was one of (if not THE) most top requested songs. It's a fun song to play!

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Props for listening to the fans :) Out of curiosity, was Dream Theater highly requested, or just a Harmonix favorite?

Either way, awesome to have them back in RB4! Thanks!

That's a great question and I'm not entirely sure. They are requested often, though, for sure. And we have a lot of fans in-house. :)

Bladelaw

Is this really the place to shit on other people's music preferences?

Harmonix has the data for song requests in addition to what 1500 other songs? I figure I'll give every on disc track a shot and rate songs accordingly when I'm done. I was super bummed about not really enjoying Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting on RB3 as it's a great tune to listen to I also couldn't stand Antibodies, or Llama. But I was also surprised by Misery Business, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1, and One Armed Scissor.

I'm hoping to get surprised again.

CS_Dan

Is this really the place to shit on other people's music preferences?

Harmonix has the data for song requests in addition to what 1500 other songs? I figure I'll give every on disc track a shot and rate songs accordingly when I'm done. I was super bummed about not really enjoying Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting on RB3 as it's a great tune to listen to I also couldn't stand Antibodies, or Llama. But I was also surprised by Misery Business, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 1, and One Armed Scissor.

I'm hoping to get surprised again.

I'd love for some more Flaming Lips.

Z3M0G

Kind of a bummer that there's no online.

Any word on it coming after launch?

No online?

Good lord... the online was possibly the only thing that would have saved this from failure...

People aren't going to be able to get rooms of friends together to play this anymore...

They should have went with a new Guitar Hero, in that case.

Bladelaw

I'd love for some more Flaming Lips.

Yoshimi is one of my favorite drunk Rock Band songs and is on the appropriate playlist right up there with Ziggy Stardust, and I Believe in a Thing Called Love. Off key drunk singing while trying to guitar in Ziggy is among my favorite Rock Band memories.

Bladelaw

Is the game not being sold on it's own? Didn't see it at Amazon on Gamestop, just the guitar or full band bundle.

Not yet, they're using pre-orders to gauge peripheral interest and get some solid manufacturing numbers. Hopefully a game only option with the pre-order tracks shows up after the manufacture cut off.

Ninhead

I'd really love to get the story on exactly why there's so much Grohl-related material in the RB series. It's fascinating. I mean, is he really into the concept? Is he a fan? Is he just a really cool dude about licensing? Were he and Alex R homeboys back in the day?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
No online?

Good lord... the online was possibly the only thing that would have saved this from failure...

People aren't going to be able to get rooms of friends together to play this anymore...

Are you aware that Rock Band and Guitar Hero are made by different studios?

Also, nobody hangs out in person anymore?

Tabris

I don't mind the no online.

Generally I'm against the concept of offline party only games, but this is one of the few exceptions where it's not a good experience online. You can't voice chat when singing or listening to music to play the game.

This is meant to be pulled out for parties.

MajorMane

No online?

Hyperbole and a half. Seriously.

Rock Band, in its roots, has always been about getting friends together and playing together in person. Online was/is great for playing with friends when you can't get together or if you live far apart, but at the core experience, it's not what Rock Band has been about. If the game ships with no online, I'm sure it is up there on Harmonix's list of "things to get out as soon as possible", but it's not as easy as flipping a switch on their end. Costs money and lots of resources.

The demographic they're shooting for are those people that have DLC and old instruments. That's where they've been putting their efforts and it's been paying off in spades on that end. A new "Guitar Hero" version of Rock Band means instant loss of 1500+ songs and the ability to use pre-existing peripherals. That to me would spell more failure than lack of online at launch.

ElNino

Rock Band, in its roots, has always been about getting friends together and playing together in person. Online was/is great for playing with friends when you can't get together or if you live far apart, but at the core experience, it's not what Rock Band has been about.
This thread was the first time a even realised that people played RB online. I mean, I was pretty sure you could do it, but I had never come across anyone who did. All of my play time was spent solo or with friends in local multi.

im still holding out hope for a babymetal song...but I could see them not doing it due to vocals. Have they ever put a song in that was not in English?

b4mv

Banned
The one thing GHLive has going for it is that it's killing it in the Post Hardcore and Metalcore scenes, I hope some of that stuff leaks into RB4. It's the only thing I want.

Ridley327

I don't mind the no online.

Generally I'm against the concept of offline party only games, but this is one of the few exceptions where it's not a good experience online. You can't voice chat when singing or listening to music to play the game.

This is meant to be pulled out for parties.

You were able to voice chat with a mic in RB3 while holding down RT on the 360, at least.

No online is a bad decision since I used to play with friends from overseas almost all the time. I can't really do that now.

Tabris

You were able to voice chat with a mic in RB3 while holding down RT on the 360, at least.

No online is a bad decision since I used to play with friends from overseas almost all the time. I can't really do that now.

No I understand that you can actually voice chat technically. I mean it's not an effective way of playing the game.

pacman85

No online?

not sure if trolling or legitimately this stupid...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So, one thing I have been wondering about. Will this game have any trouble with streaming on twitch?

Top Bottom