• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band DLC ends in April

Bedlam

My pessimistic view is that ending the DLC run pretty much means there's no hope for a RB4.

Either that or it's a stopgap because current gen DLC isn't going to transfer to the new consoles. Which is too gross to think about.
Don't Stop Believing!

My guess is they are in the process of figuring out what they're gonna do on the next-gen consoles and currently producing more DLC is just not worthwhile for them as RB isn't so hot right now. But a few years into the next generation (let's say 2 or 3), when people haven't played an (instrument) music game for a long while, I can see demand rising again and we may get another RB. That's, of course, if Activision doesn't crash the party again and spoils the well for everyone once more by pumping out a stream of mediocre GH titles.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Rock Band Blitz must've been a last hurrah to try to keep interest and sales up.

Taking this into consideration, I'd say that it didn't work.

Sad to see it ending. Knew it was coming sooner or later though. I'm sure I'll still be coming back to this game and picking up DLC I've meant to pick up well into next generation though. I'm sure there's still plenty of songs I don't have that are fun on drums :p.

Don't Stop Believing!

My guess is they are in the process of figuring out what they're gonna do on the next-gen consoles and currently producing more DLC is just not worthwhile for them as RB isn't so hot right now. But a few years into the next generation (let's say 2 or 3), when people haven't played an (instrument) music game for a long while, I can see demand rising again and we may get another RB. That's, of course, if Activision doesn't crash the party again and spoils the well for everyone once more by pumping out a stream of mediocre GH titles.

I'm sure Harnonix would love to release Generic Track Pack #7 to compete against Activision.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wow, it seems like its been forever since I stopped checking religiously each week to see what the new songs were. Once the Iron Maiden pack finally came out, it was like I had no more reason to keep checking. By that time I was no longer living with roommates so there were fewer and fewer occasions to break out the whole setup. Rock Band was (and I guess still is) really amazing. It's really a shame what Activision did to the genre.

Wow, it seems like its been forever since I stopped checking religiously each week to see what the new songs were. Once the Iron Maiden pack finally came out, it was like I had no more reason to keep checking. By that time I was no longer living with roommates so there were fewer and fewer occasions to break out the whole setup. Rock Band was (and I guess still is) really amazing. It's really a shame what Activision did to the genre.

At least Activision released functional instruments. Without piggy backing off Red Octane Harmonix couldn't have even released RB.

FyreWulff

I know it's not going to happen because of label relations, but I wish after it's done they could say which songs ended up in licensing limbo (charted but unreleased) and which two songs were pulled at the last second last summer.

Ridley327

I know it's not going to happen because of label relations, but I wish after it's done they could say which songs ended up in licensing limbo (charted but unreleased) and which two songs were pulled at the last second last summer.

Maybe Whipping Post will finally be released!

I just realized I can never get rid of my Xbox 360 because all of my songs and instruments for Rock Band are tied to it. And I bet the next gen won't work with those instruments. :(

Sad day, for sure. But man, it was a hell of a run.

FHIZ

I was wondering just the other day how long they were going to keep that up...

Finally the xbox like new add on line won't be "Rock band song, rock band song trial, rock band song, rock band song trial, rock band song, rock band song trial, rock band song pack, some map pack, rock band song..." so on and so on. There goes my game of "let's press RB and see if I can come to a screen with no rock band tracks on it"

What I'm saying is, XBL's need for organizational folders or whatever will at least be a bit lessened now.

FyreWulff

I was wondering just the other day how long they were going to keep that up...

Finally the xbox like new add on line won't be "Rock band song, rock band song trial, rock band song, rock band song trial, rock band song, rock band song trial, rock band song pack, some map pack, rock band song..." so on and so on. There goes my game of "let's press RB and see if I can come to a screen with no rock band tracks on it"

What I'm saying is, XBL's need for organizational folders or whatever will at least be a bit lessened now.

You're still going to see RBN tracks there (song trial, song, song trial, song)

They are having a tell-all panel at pax in March. They implied they may reveal a couple things. Surely not everything, but we may get some nuggets

It stopped as soon as Activision killed the series in early 2011. They were already on a "one release week per month" schedule, so it was easy.

That's pretty impressive for Rock Band. They really were probably releasing this stuff to an incredibly small, yet active community.

Really a bummer. I always made it a point to buy a handful of songs each month. A ridiculous run of content - hopefully they've got something cool in the works for next gen.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
If it was selling well why stop?

If its hard to do why open up RBN and let amateurs do it?

You're talking about the technical job of making the charts while ignoring the complicated task of licensing and getting master tracks of songs from popular bands. This is especially complicated when dealing with anything older and recorded on analogue tape. Having worked in a world class recording studio for a while I can tell you that dealing with old 24 track 2" master tapes can be a harrowing ordeal.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
If it was selling well why stop?

If its hard to do why open up RBN and let amateurs do it?

It's true enough that interest in music games has waned (compared to the quick and unreal boom it saw), but we would have not have continued to produce tracks for as long as we did if the business wasn't profitable. Regardless of the continued interest, the fact is that we are currently working on several new projects that require the full support of our developer resources to make the best projects possible. This isn't an easy decision to make, since we clearly loved this franchise, which is why (in my opinion) we've offered unprecedented support for the series since RB1 launched in 2007. 4,000+ pieces of additional DLC content, week after week of fresh content... that's CRAZY. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you can point to any other console game that has received that kind of post-release support.

As for the statement that it's "easy" and as to why we "let amateurs do it," that's incredibly dismissive of the hard, dedicated work RBN authors do, and highlights the fact that you really don't know what it takes to create a fun, playable track for games like these. That's fine, most people don't. Add even MORE layers of production in our case: take into account not only the money it costs to license tracks (including tasking our kick-ass music ops department, lawyers, etc. to even make these deals), as well as the resources to submit (and have approved) the content to three different platform holders week in and week out.

But it's been absolutely worth it -- building a platform like Rock Band has been incredible, and the fact that there's still this great game with so much (and such varied) content available for playing is still exciting to me (and apparently other people, based on the pretty positive responses I've been seeing today).

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
As for the statement that it's "easy" and as to why we "let amateurs do it," that's incredibly dismissive of the hard, dedicated work RBN authors do, and highlights the fact that you really don't know what it takes to create a fun, playable track for games like these.

To be fair. Having done RBN since closed beta.... there's authors that don't know either.

FyreWulff

I guess it was also pretty cool to let the Wii owners get the Blitz tracks before it ended, but I guess this definitely means no RB3 tracks in Blitz now.

Then my other thought is why they strung Blitz out but dumped the rest of Green Day all at once.

edit: and CTP2.

Ridley327

That's pretty impressive for Rock Band. They really were probably releasing this stuff to an incredibly small, yet active community.

Activision never really had the greatest vision for what they wanted to do with DLC for Guitar Hero; they started off with the baffling decision to price the GH2 and GH3 tracks at $2.50 (versus the $2.00 for the standard Rock Band DLC track), their game exports were often hobbled due to their prickly relationships with Warner Bros. and Sony, and they never really had a consistent schedule for releases. On the other hand, they definitely delivered big time on free DLC, especially the limited time offers on Dream On and the two Bruce Springsteen tracks, and what songs that did export all got free upgrades to the features introduced in GH:M by the time GH5 came out.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It's true enough that interest in music games has waned (compared to the quick and unreal boom it saw), but we would have not have continued to produce tracks for as long as we did if the business wasn't profitable. Regardless of the continued interest, the fact is that we are currently working on several new projects that require the full support of our developer resources to make the best projects possible. This isn't an easy decision to make, since we clearly loved this franchise, which is why (in my opinion) we've offered unprecedented support for the series since RB1 launched in 2007. 4,000+ pieces of additional DLC content, week after week of fresh content... that's CRAZY. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you can point to any other console game that has received that kind of post-release support.

As for the statement that it's "easy" and as to why we "let amateurs do it," that's incredibly dismissive of the hard, dedicated work RBN authors do, and highlights the fact that you really don't know what it takes to create a fun, playable track for games like these. That's fine, most people don't. Add even MORE layers of production in our case: take into account not only the money it costs to license tracks (including tasking our kick-ass music ops department, lawyers, etc. to even make these deals), as well as the resources to submit (and have approved) the content to three different platform holders week in and week out.

But it's been absolutely worth it -- building a platform like Rock Band has been incredible, and the fact that there's still this great game with so much (and such varied) content available for playing is still exciting to me (and apparently other people, based on the pretty positive responses I've been seeing today).

Just wanted to thank you guys for the great work! I still play RB3 almost every day. In my case I'm playing on a TD-6 kit and more often than not playing along with tracks in practice mode using my own sounds but it's been an invaluable practice tool.

Ashour

This is really really sad for me. I'm glad I was part of this since day one and I enjoyed every minute I played of my 1500+ hours spent playing Rock Band 1, not to mention the games after it.

I also am grateful for HMX, because of rock band I was able to meet a lot of online friends that I now consider my family.

I'm also glad we got more Iron Maiden before they were done. So thanks Harmonix.

Oh well, as long as Glory of Love actually makes it out on PAL PS3. I would have loved more Meatloaf and Roxette but I guess Singstar has me covered there.

I bought a keyboard and started practising through the game, so thanks for the inspiration!

I don't think we could've asked for anything more. The support for these games has been more than impressive.

The saddest part of the whole thing is that there's not a new Rock Band game under development at Harmonix :(

I always find this a very curious claim. Harmonic seen to enjoy the narrative that they're generously supporting the franchise and that the fan base should be grateful. You released content for a fee that people paid for. There's nothing remarkable or praise worthy in that. I gave Harnonix hundreds of dollars. THAT'S crazy. Releasing a bunch of DLC for a video game and making money off it for as long as you can before it became unprofitable? That's positively sane.

Making DLC for Rock Band is probably one of the easiest things you can do in the big umbrella of game development. That's my point. That's why you can open it up to random people and make money off their charts. It's why there was such an extensive customs scene before Harmonix introduced RBN. It's not "easy", but its a pretty simple skill to learn if you have anything resembling an ear for music.

I didn't know you were from Harmonix, I'm not terribly interested in debating my opinions with someone emotionally invested in the company's reputation. Just explaining my post.

This is truly the end of an era. I put thousands of hours into the series, especially Rock Band 2. I can't even count the number of times I spent the night with RB and a group of friends. Playing casually was great, but I was invested in the hardcore subsection of the game too. Yes, I posted my scores on ScoreHero and actually ended up ranking #7 in the world for my total RB2 career score for expert drums. It's the only game I've ever been "good" at, but that's just from putting so much time into it. So many hours and so much money spent and paid off. I doubt anybody from Harmonix is reading this but: thank you. RB revitalized my interest in hardcore gaming and gaming as a community. I've never had as much fun with a game as I did when I played through Beatles RB in one shot with some friends. And I've never had as much frustration with a game as I had when I choked during the outro of "Panic Attack." Even though I haven't played in years, I'll never forget all of these fun/frustrating moments that only RB could provide. :,)

espher

End of an era for sure. As mentioned, they had an impressive run with an impressive schedule, and several of the things they did (forwards compatibility in DLC and exports, approach taken with user-created content) were certainly game-changers in the genre (and probably pushed Microsoft to make some infrastructure changes that we wouldn't have seen otherwise).

I took the plunge with GH2 personally, as a total impulse buy, and I've been hooked ever since. The only "good" thing is that at some point my DLC library will stop growing because the content will stop coming, thankfully before I hit the song limit. My wallet is happy, at least.

Time to see what the modding community does, I suppose.

It's why there was such an extensive customs scene before Harmonix introduced RBN. It's not "easy", but its a pretty simple skill to learn if you have anything resembling an ear for music.

The act of charting a custom song is not particularly difficult. The act of charting it properly, with all instruments/difficulties, proper pathing, venue tracks, lip sync tracks, animations, and the like is pretty difficult (as someone who was and is still, to some extent, "involved" in that subset of the community, I can tell you there are only a handful of authors left there that put out good, complete work). Licencing and negotiation and mixing and all of that goes above and beyond, but even the art of putting midi notes on the tracks is something "amateurs" continue to struggle with. The RBN provided a better infrastructure with feedback and checks and balances to try and ensure quality was coming out, and has some really talented authoring groups, but a few stinkers certainly still got through.

EYEL1NER

Well this news sucks. The 50% off sale continuing is good news though, because I will continue to keep buying tracks.
Been with GH and RB since the first games and was disappointed that GH died. I think I have only bought a handful of RBN tracks, but I guess I can keep holding onto hope for some good psychobilly tracks.

It truly is the end of an era.

Haven't played RockBand in over a year, but it was definitely something.
I have all the different RockBand games except for Blitz, and thus have over 400 or so songs in my library and I'm kinda sad to see it stop.

Nevertheless it's astounding they even had the money and patience to do that for so long.
For those about to rock, I salute you.

I've over 1,000 songs and still play at least once a week. Playing on stage at the Giantbomb/Harmonix pre-PAX East show last year was the highlight of the whole year for me. I've countless memories tied to the games and they're easily my favorite this generation. I hope Rock Band and dlc can come back some day or in some way but if not they've had an incredible run. RB Beatles alone is like the miracle of this gen imo.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
I didn't know you were from Harmonix, I'm not terribly interested in debating my opinions with someone emotionally invested in the company's reputation. Just explaining my post.

Fair enough, so I won't continue with this conversation. I also can't continue to reply to you, because of the Big Show avatar you have, and the sneaking suspicion that this is just going to end in a choke slam.

Just to echo what StudioTan said, thanks for all of the work you guys've put into the RB platform. It's definitely been a weekend centerpiece for my friends and I since RB1's release.

OCDBuzz

These 5 years with Rock Band has been incredibly important to me, my girlfriend, and a large group of friends that continue to play at every opportunity we have together.

It's sad to see it ending. Somehow I had tricked myself into thinking this day wouldn't come.

Cheers to Harmonix for making such a special game. They may not be making it anymore but I'm going to try and find out how long I can go on playing it.

FaintDeftone

I was absolutely obsessed with Rock Band and the Guitar Hero games for as long as they ran. I can't even imagine how much money I've spent on games, DLC and plastic instruments in total. I've had so much fun perfecting all of the instruments on the highest difficulty and playing with friends and competing on leaderboards. The genre did become over saturated in the market, but I would love to see Harmonix take a break for awhile and release a super uber Rock Band 4 for the next gen consoles in a couple of years.

pretty sad its finally happening. I was a long time supporter of the DLC...to be fair I was buying less and less but that was strictly on grounds of me not liking the songs released, was happy to give them my money otherwise...hope something rock band related does resurface next gen, would be nice to get the band back together

Top Bottom