• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League 2nd Anniversary Update Patch Notes.Patch Notes

FHIZ

Very disappointed that when I equipped the Rick and Morty boost effect, I didn't get "GOOODBYYYYYYYYE MOONMAN" whenever I boost.

It's funny. This is like the most friendly patch they've put out in terms of appeasing the people who hate on the microtransactions. You don't need to buy any cars to get a certain hitbox, so it's even more cosmetic-only than it already was.

TheKeyPit

Banned
It's funny. This is like the most friendly patch they've put out in terms of appeasing the people who hate on the microtransactions. You don't need to buy any cars to get a certain hitbox, so it's even more cosmetic-only than it already was.
If you buy the game right now: There is no way for you to earn a Trail-customization. They are locked behind a crate (and trading) for newcomers.

MUnited83

For you.
If you buy the game right now: There is no way for you to earn a Trail-customization. They are locked behind a crate (and trading) for newcomers.
That's still cosmetic only.
It's also incorrect. Pretty sure there is a few trails that are regular item drops.

TheKeyPit

Banned
That's still cosmetic only.
It's also incorrect. Pretty sure there is a few trails that are regular item drops.
It doesn't change the fact that you got such items by playing back in the day. They are slowly locking all new customization items behind crates and trading.

I still think that they are slowly preparing for a F2P version.

+Trails are the same stuff like the season 4 rewards.

Why is it that these guys can get away with something like this but any other pub/dev would get torn to pieces if they used a model where you could earn keys in game.

The industry standard isn't great but it's a lot better than the poor excuse for a system in Rocket League.

AcridMeat

Banned
People defending the cars in crates missed my initial point where I already addressed it.

"...but they had a precident set that cars would still be piece meal. It's sad to see them go back on that. Just doesn't make sense to me when they've had so much good will for so long."

If you recall they put out several cars for $2 after they launched crates. It was only after they introduced the "body mods" as an excuse to have exclusive crate cars as well. It was fine at the start as they were clearly modified versions of existing cars you could buy piece meal.

These new ones are wholey unique in look, which is why it is particularly sour to me to see.

I get it, there's still a way to get them (which I've been doing). However don't act like going through a trading site to strike a deal is somehow just as easy as buying it off steam through the game itself, which again, they had set precident of having both.

Love the new customization options with new engine notes.

Buying something on steam nets them two dollars from people. With crates a lot people buy a shitload of keys more than making up for those who don't buy any. It makes such a great deal of more money that it's not going to change anytime soon. People always said "as long as it's not pay to win that's fine" but that's no longer the case. I like the system cause I've made about 150 worth of keys through trading only. Yeah I need to wait a week or two for the new cars but eventually they hit 1 key. Right now the Endo and mantis are both about a key. Yeah people don't like the gambling aspext but at the very least there is a way to make it work in your favor. I've already made 6 keys of the new crates just the first day.

People defending the cars in crates missed my initial point where I already addressed it.

"...but they had a precident set that cars would still be piece meal. It's sad to see them go back on that. Just doesn't make sense to me when they've had so much good will for so long."

If you recall they put out several cars for $2 after they launched crates. It was only after they introduced the "body mods" as an excuse to have exclusive crate cars as well. It was fine at the start as they were clearly modified versions of existing cars you could buy piece meal.

I think you're overstating this. They still release DLC cars, even if it's a little slower than before the crates started:

August 13, 2015: Dominus, Takumi
October 13, 2015: Scarab, Zippy
October 21, 2015: DeLorean (timed for BTTF 30th anniversary)
December 1, 2015: Ripper, Grog
March 8, 2016: Batmobile (timed for Batman v Superman movie)
July 18, 2016: Aftershock, Marauder, Esper, Masamune (coinciding with release of the Collector's Edition)

[September 8, 2016: Champion Crates 1 & 2 released with import versions of four cars]

October 4, 2016: Proteus, Triton
December 7, 2016: Vulcan
February 21, 2017: Twin Mill III, Bone Shaker (Hot Wheels themed)
April 4, 2017: Ice Charger (timed for The Fate of the Furious movie)

I'd be surprised if we didn't see continued car DLC (especially licensed cars) even if it's a little more spaced out. In the meantime, it really is very easy to trade keys or crates for crate cars that have been out for a few weeks or more. Try https://www.rl-trades.com/ to quickly find offers.

MUnited83

For you.
It doesn't change the fact that you got such items by playing back in the day. They are slowly locking all new customization items behind crates and trading.

I still think that they are slowly preparing for a F2P version.

+Trails are the same stuff like the season 4 rewards.
Do you think you are entitled to have Dev teams just make cosmetics items for you forever or something like that?

You still get items through just playing, and you can very easily trade the crates you get for keys then use the keys to get the items you need.

TheKeyPit

Banned
You still get items through just playing, and you can very easily trade the crates you get for keys then use the keys to get the items you need.
Buying something on steam nets them two dollars from people. With crates a lot people buy a shitload of keys more than making up for those who don't buy any. It makes such a great deal of more money that it's not going to change anytime soon. People always said "as long as it's not pay to win that's fine" but that's no longer the case. I like the system cause I've made about 150 worth of keys through trading only. Yeah I need to wait a week or two for the new cars but eventually they hit 1 key. Right now the Endo and mantis are both about a key. Yeah people don't like the gambling aspext but at the very least there is a way to make it work in your favor. I've already made 6 keys of the new crates just the first day.
You can't on Xbox...

It wouldn't be such a huge problem if you could.
Do you think you are entitled to have Dev teams just make cosmetics items for you forever or something like that?
Not forever, but how about using that crate money to create three or four trails that can be unlocked by playing? They did it for the explosions. (What did it cost them to create four differently colored explosions? Probably not weeks...) Why not there? Tell me that.

Edit: It doesn't count that they just added some of them as a season reward. New players won't have them.

+You can unlock new cars, new hats, new boosts, new explosions, new decals, but not a single trail?

MUnited83

For you.
You can't on Xbox...

It wouldn't be such a huge problem if you could.

Not forever, but how about using that crate money to create three or four trails that can be unlocked by playing? They did it for the explosions. (What did it cost them to create four differently colored explosions? Probably not weeks...) Why not there? Tell me that.

Edit: It doesn't count that they just added some of them as a season reward. New players won't have them.
New players can go play the new season then?

2nd Birthday and Double droprates

Wow! Wow! Wow! (Chat disabled for 4 seconds.)

It’s hard to believe that time has flown by as fast as it has, but sure enough, Rocket League is now officially two years old. What’s truly amazing, though, is that the game that you – our community – made such a big success in our first year has become an even bigger one in our second. We have more players, more matches, more modes, and more excitement surrounding Rocket League now than at any other point in our history; and in our minds, the best is yet to come, with plenty of great things planned for the year ahead.

We’re not wasting any time, either. Just yesterday, we released our 2nd Anniversary Update, which adds all sorts of new content and features like ‘Champions Field,’ customizations for Engine Audio, Goal Explosions, and Supersonic Trails, in addition to a new Crate, the start of Competitive Season 5, new Achievements and Trophies, and plenty of sweet new customization items from one of our favorite television shows, ‘Rick and Morty.’

But that’s not all we wanted to do for our second anniversary, which is why we’re happy to announce our first-ever Rocket League Double Drop-Rate Weekend! Starting right now (July 6) through Monday, July 10 at 5pm GMT, all uncommon (or greater) free customization items and active Crates will drop more frequently post-match. What’s more, your chances of earning a Painted version of an item (in or out of a Crate) are doubled during the promotional period.

There’s more to come, of course, as Rocket League as an esport has never been stronger. The first days of Collegiate Rocket League Summer Series are just a few days away, while Season 4 of the Rocket League Championship Series is right around the corner. A massive national tournament is coming this summer to NBC; Rocket League is headed to ESPN and the X Games, and a brand-new Rocket League esports website is coming your way by the end of the year.

We’re moving Rocket League to new platforms too. Nintendo Switch will see its version this holiday, a new upgrade patch for Xbox One X is currently in development, and China should see a free-to-play Rocket League before we celebrate our next birthday. And let’s not forget about our plans to keep Rocket League one of the most updated games around. Our Fall update is going to be a big one, with all sorts of new features that you have been asking us for on Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, and our forums. We’ll have more DLC this calendar year; more quality of life updates planned for the coming months; more Crates; more features; more… well, everything.

But none of this continued success would have been possible without YOU. As a community, you have continued to support and engage us, which continues to drive us forward into year three and beyond. There would be no Rocket League without you, which is why, on behalf of everyone here at Psyonix, we wanted to say THANK YOU once again for all you have done and continue to do for us. See you soon.

-Psyonix

P.S. As this is our new yearly tradition, we have summed up the entirety of Rocket League Year Two in the infographic below. Enjoy the new stats!
rl_year2_infographic.jpg

AcridMeat

Banned
I think you're overstating this. They still release DLC cars, even if it's a little slower than before the crates started:

[September 8, 2016: Champion Crates 1 & 2 released with import versions of four cars]

October 4, 2016: Proteus, Triton
December 7, 2016: Vulcan
February 21, 2017: Twin Mill III, Bone Shaker (Hot Wheels themed)
April 4, 2017: Ice Charger (timed for The Fate of the Furious movie)
Right, so they haven't released one since December. The licensed cars are an obvious exception.They've had how many crate cars since? 4-5 I think?

I'm just going to reiterate, crates were inevitable, I have no issue with that. I just have an issue that when they introduced them, they said they wouldn't add cars to crates and that they'd continue to release them.

I'm just voicing my disappointment in them going back on that.

Right, so they haven't released one since December. The licensed cars are an obvious exception.They've had how many crate cars since? 4-5 I think?

They've released 3 cars since December. Are you just pretending they haven't because they're licensed? Why would that discount them?

Still trying to get the last crate car. Just sell the fucking things. I rather pay more for a guarantee. My friends and I play multiple times a week, several hours at time and I am the only one who ever got an Endo from turbo and no one had got the nitro car. It's a fucking garbage loot system and Psyonix should be lambasted to no end. You still can't even recycle crate dupes. I love RL, but the microtransaction game is as grimey as it gets.

Yudoken

For whatever reason the game mutes itself when you start steam overlay/big picture.

I use big picture because downsampling makes steam overlay way to small and I like big picture thanks to it's pad support but its usability is now much lower because you can't hear the countdown or the game itself.

Makes it much harder to quickly chat or look up stuff with it.

Or if you chat ingame with big picture mode).

I hope this is just a small bug.

Please change this back.

I'm just going to reiterate, crates were inevitable, I have no issue with that. I just have an issue that when they introduced them, they said they wouldn't add cars to crates and that they'd continue to release them.

I'm just voicing my disappointment in them going back on that.
Would have to disagree on the licensed cars. Most people in the community don't consider them an exception. If you look at the reddit sub, more people seem to get excited about those than the regular ones. Honestly, some of their regular DLC cars have been kind of odd-looking.

As for their promises, do you have a source for your claim that they would not add cars to crates? If I remember correctly, they said they would not put anything pay-to-win in crates. When the Endo came out and had a slightly different hitbox and turn radius from Masamune and Dominus, they got a lot of deserved flak for it. With this week's update, they've normalized the Endo to be the same as other non-crate cars (Venom and X-Devil). They also made sure the "import" versions of cars from crates have the same hitbox and turning radius as the regular base cars. Going further, they even normalized the Paladin (one of the in-game cars) to be the same as the Batmobile (DLC) and Mantis (crate). They made it so that every DLC and crate car has a comparable car that can be unlocked for free in the game.
Source: https://www.rocketleague.com/news/patch-notes-v1-35-anniversary-update/

Finally, regarding future DLC, they said this in their announcement yesterday: We'll have more DLC this calendar year; more quality of life updates planned for the coming months; more Crates; more features; more... well, everything.
Source: https://www.rocketleague.com/news/rocket-league-birthday-double-drop-rates/

Still trying to get the last crate car. Just sell the fucking things. I rather pay more for a guarantee. My friends and I play multiple times a week, several hours at time and I am the only one who ever got an Endo from turbo and no one had got the nitro car. It's a fucking garbage loot system and Psyonix should be lambasted to no end. You still can't even recycle crate dupes. I love RL, but the microtransaction game is as grimey as it gets.

Just trade for it. It's not that hard.

1. Go to https://www.rl-trades.com/
2. Select your platform
3. Type in the item you want in the "Have" box to look up what people are offering
4. Click on the link on the left next to the item
5. Contact the seller and set up a time to trade with them

You can get a Mantis for 2 keys; in some cases, less. Heck, you can get a painted Mantis for 3 or 4 keys.

Would it be great if they just released these as DLC? Yes, but that's not going to happen. They are a business and the crate system generates much more money than making all of this DLC. The reason why most of the community consents to it is because they realize that small packs of DLC will not be enough to sustain this game into the future, not when they are constantly improving the game by adding new maps and modes and quality of life improvements. These updates are every 3 months, not once or twice a year. They include not only crate items and the mentioned free maps/modes/updates, but free items that drop for anyone who plays online.

Most games would start to slide off by now (2 years), and they'd be readying to release a sequel. Then we'd have to buy that and all the DLC that comes with that. Instead, they're trying to make it more sustainable. Some of the crate/key money also goes to e-sports tournaments and prizes, though they are not transparent about how much, so I'm not going to give them a lot of credit for that.

In the meantime, I'd love it if they had an in-game trade market where you could just scroll through what you wanted and basically purchase offered items from other players (like Steam's marketplace). Hopefully, they consider it. But for now, trading can be done without a ton of effort. In fact, I have a regular Mantis I'm not using. If you're on PC, I could trade with you. I also have one on PS4. See, it's not that hard.

AcridMeat

Banned
I was trying to find an old blog post regarding the introduction of crates/etc. but I've just got the patch notes from then.

Yes, to their credit they've normalized them so that there isn't any competitive difference (won't even say advantage).

My point is still that they started throwing what are effectively new designs that you'd have paid $2 for last year into crates. I really don't care about the hitboxes, I'm not arguing the competitive point of view.
They've released 3 cars since December. Are you just pretending they haven't because they're licensed? Why would that discount them?
I'm excluding them in this because they obviously wouldn't put licensed vehicles in crates. The whole point of those cars is that they have to be available to everyone from the get go for the deal to be made.
They are a business and the crate system generates much more money than making all of this DLC.
I was never arguing the crates existing. I'd love to know the numbers the crates are generating after they added the body styles to see where the decision came from. My entire discussion pain point was why we couldn't have them co-exist. Funneling people into the lottery system, or trade, when we had both and it seemed to work fine was what I was trying to highlight.

For the record there are plenty of people who don't interact with the system at all, but would throw a couple bucks for DLC they thought looked cool, so I'd love to see the financial breakdown of it all.

Top Bottom