• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League: Autumn Update Details (Cross platform parties coming before years end)

INTRODUCING DECRYPTORS
During Events you can acquire new, rare items called ‘Decryptors!’ These can unlock any crate, including the ones during limited-time events.

Should be obtainable year round.

-Dev Note
Originally Posted by ickingfudiot

Decryptors aren't infinite, droppable Keys. They're earnable in limited quantities during Events. We ran a Halloween event last year, imagine you can get 3 Decryptors for playing during Halloween. That's how it works.

...and they had to make even a limited time way shit.

I imagine Psyonix has to have some data where the number of unopened crates is just staggering so this will be nice. I know I'm guilty I have dozens and I've only ever traded some for other stuff from people.

According to trophy data with a trophy for doing only 1 trade, only 7.7% of players have ever traded an item on PS4.

I assume Xbox even lower as cannot trade keys on that.

Yea fuck free stuff. I hate devs giving me things for free.

Their original pay DLC model was better than this RNG in RNG in RNG garbage.

Me either. It's the only game I feel like playing every single days years in.
^ my life

This has never happened to me with any other game, yet with RL I just can't stop. It's not because of some cheap addictive properties either (like leveling up, getting new gear, etc.), the game is just a blast.

Broritos

Platform exclusive cars only show up on that platform. They show as a generic car on any other platform.

BIG SORRY

KHxZsVF.gif

Canklestank

Neo Member
Sony is still against cross-platform, right? It'll be awesome when all this is in place, but it doesn't really impact me much. Anyone I would play with is on PC with me anyway.

Trace

Banned
According to trophy data with a trophy for doing only 1 trade, only 7.7% of players have ever traded an item on PS4.

Their original DLC model also only included cars and basics. The new model is much more interesting and leads to way more diverse cars. If anything I wish they would include toppers and things like that in the crates.

You do realize key money funds the creation of these new items and most of these cosmetics you complain about not being able to get wouldn't even exist otherwise? DLC used to be one car, one wheel, one boost per car. That was it every couple of months. I enjoy this system more. I like having this trade system and updates like this means the money they make is going into the right places. Also...

OVER 90 FREE NEW ITEMS!
Tons of free new items for you to collect. Look for Toppers, Antennas, and Boosts as Uncommon, Rare, and Very Rare drops after online matches or from Trade-Ins.

Their original DLC model also only included cars and basics. The new model is much more interesting and leads to way more diverse cars. If anything I wish they would include toppers and things like that in the crates.
Thankfully we get 90 free items this time around. I've been wanting some new topper for a long time.

Sony is still against cross-platform, right? It'll be awesome when all this is in place, but it doesn't really impact me much. Anyone I would play with is on PC with me anyway.
My guess is if Sony remains stubborn crossplatform parties will be PC/Xbone/Switch or PC/PS4.

It's a shame they made the game fee-to-pay and that turned me off the PS4 version initially last year, but I'll be happy to get this on Nintendo Switch for the cross-play and Mario & Luigi cars. Will probably never play the PS4 version again,

So I'm looking forward to this but screw the microtransactions again.

Man, this update sounds so awesome.

Too bad this game lost me every single time a few days after each update.
I was invested for a month again like 2 patches ago with crates and crate trading and item management but as fun as the gameplay is, it's even more frustrating at the same time until I say F'it again.

But man, what a great development.

It's a shame they made the game fee-to-pay and that turned me off the PS4 version initially last year, but I'll be happy to get this on Nintendo Switch for the cross-play and Mario & Luigi cars. Will probably never play the PS4 version again,

The game was never free to play it was a PS+ game for a month and the version you get on switch is the exact same version you have on the PS4 aside from a few console exclusive cars.

What the hell are you talking about? The game was free for PS+ subscribers — that's it. It's the same exact game on other platforms.

Anyway, this is a massive update. It all sounds amazing.

The microtransactions are present on all versions of the game lol. It was never F2P. It was a PS+ game.

You do realize key money funds the creation of these new items and most of these cosmetics you complain about not being able to get wouldn't even exist otherwise?

Key money funds key items. WOW, who would have guessed.

If only was a concept of paying directly for items to fund them. If only...

Key money funds key items. WOW, who would have guessed.

If only was a concept of paying directly for items to fund them. If only...

They did that before and the items were very limited. This brings in a lot more money which allows them to create a lot more content. Which was my entire point.

The game was never free to play it was a PS+ game for a month and the version you get on switch is the exact same version you have on the PS4 aside from a few console exclusive cars.

What the hell are you talking about? The game was free for PS+ subscribers — that's it. It's the same exact game on other platforms.

Anyway, this is a massive update. It all sounds amazing.

Fee-to-pay is a name given to the practice of games that cost money to buy, then use free-to-play tactics to gate content, like RL has done with its lootbox only content.

They did that before and the items were very limited. This brings in a lot more money which allows them to create a lot more content. Which was my entire point.

They could easy charge a dollar an item and it would be a huge mark up on previous DLC and still be better than current system.

Those are called Microtransactions. Not free to play.

FEE not FREE.

Microtransaction are different to loot boxes

They could easy charge a dollar an item and it would be a huge mark up on previous DLC and still be better than current system.

So you would rather have an ingame store with hundreds of items priced for a dollar?
lol Nobody is going to pay a dollar for most of the things in those crates and you don't need to. You can get any standard non painted wheel, car, boost, decal(aside from black market) for 1 key or less after a few weeks.

As far as bm decals, painted cars and items if there was a microtransaction store these would not be one dollar anyway.

If you trade the crates when they drop, hold onto the keys you get for a few weeks you can get a lot more value than what you are proposing. Last round of crates made me 10 keys. This system gives you plenty of opportunities to get free content people dislike having to use reddit and discord for trading but the option exists.

So you would rather have an ingame store with hundreds of items priced for a dollar?
lol Nobody is going to pay a dollar for most of the things in those crates and you don't need to. You can get any standard non painted wheel, car, boost, decal(aside from black market) for 1 key or less after a few weeks.

As far as bm decals, painted cars and items if there was a microtransaction store these would not be one dollar anyway.

If you trade the crates when they drop, hold onto the keys you get for a few weeks you can get a lot more value than what you are proposing. Last round of crates made me 10 keys. This system gives you plenty of opportunities to get free content people dislike having to use reddit and discord for trading but the option exists.

Well I assume the user you're responing to thinks the same as I do so I'll just outline my stance. A-hem:

I dunno. This is complex and involves more money than I'll (probably) ever see, I dunno what the 'right way' is. I got Evolve at launch and yes that game was stupid to have 100+ skins for like £2-3 at launch and that's not great, but IMO microtransaction games like Rocket League and Overwatch in particular are worse. I haven't played Rocket League post lootboxes so I won't refer to it specifically but Overwatch was stupid to me, the character skins I want might as well have been permanently locked away behind a paywall because I don't play enough to get anything more than the blue and white tat that deliberately pads out what you get from the lootboxes.

That video I linked explains the situation better than I can and Jim's also done one specifically on Overwatch that hits the nail on the head.

I dunno how this should work, but what I do know is that microtransactions have only ever been terrible to me and I'm not going to stop thinking that just because some people like them. I'm entitled to my opinion at least.

I respect you for fighting the good fight Count but you know some people will never be satisfied. Rocket League is the best supported game I've ever played and I've never even purchased a key.

Some people just want the impossible.

Well there are a few, not many admittedly, online games that don't have microtransactions so I'd say impossible isn't the right word.

You're free to like them, but I'd appreciate it if you respect my opinion at the very least. I didn't say Psyonix (however it's spelt) are scumbags and won't be getting anymore of my money, quite the opposite actually I'll be more than happy to buy the game (for the first time ironically) and I'm glad people are happy with the support they're giving.

I merely said it's a shame the game included microtransactions and that I do not like that.

"Wanting the impossible" and "never satisfied" I feel are far too strong here.

EDIT: oh wow so now I'm expecting to like the microtransactions from that quote above ^. I'm willing to bet every penny Psyonix have made from the lootboxes (IF I HAD THAT MUCH) that it contains pretty much every stupid thing that people like me dislike about these systems.

Feel free to prove me wrong however if you can.

To everyone who quoted me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHszeYz5Mi0

I *did* say fee-to-pay...

It's not "fee to pay." The game isn't designed around the selling of cosmetic items. You get no advantage from buying them. You aren't expediting the process of moving up the ranks by slapping a heatwave skin on your vehicle. Hell, you can remove crate drops from your game entirely if you choose. Their system is really innocuous. To further drive the point home, there's never a shortage of painted or new items to earn through regular play if you want to spruce up your vehicles.

Well there are a few, not many admittedly, online games that don't have microtransactions so I'd say impossible isn't the right word.

You're free to like them, but I'd appreciate it if you respect my opinion at the very least. I didn't say Psyonix (however it's spelt) are scumbags and won't be getting anymore of my money, quite the opposite actually I'll be more than happy to buy the game (for the first time ironically) and I'm glad people are happy with the support they're giving.

I merely said it's a shame the game included microtransactions and that I do not like that.

"Wanting the impossible" and "never satisfied" I feel are far too strong here.

EDIT: oh wow so now I'm expecting to like the microtransactions from that quote above ^. I'm willing to bet every penny Psyonix have made from the lootboxes (IF I HAD THAT MUCH) that it contains pretty much every stupid thing that people like me dislike about these systems.

Feel free to prove me wrong however if you can.
You want all of the customization options to be free but you don't want to invest time to earn them. Sorry man, devs aren't charities. If you have a better system or know of ways Psyonix could improve what they have then maybe start with that, otherwise you honestly are just asking the impossible.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Cross parties is all this game is missing for me. Cross play is nice and all for those that just care about playing with ransoms but the feature is meh without the ability to party with friends.

All my friends who still play this are primarily on pc while I'm on ps4

Brofield

The dream is me taking my Switch to a friend's house, while he plays on his Xbone X, and my other friends bring their laptops for a local LAN party.

That's the motherfucking dream.

It's not "fee to pay." The game isn't designed around the selling of cosmetic items. You get no advantage from buying them. You aren't expediting the process of moving up the ranks by slapping a heatwave skin on your vehicle. Hell, you can remove crate drops from your game entirely if you choose.

That's almost every single excuse that I've ever read on the subject rolled into one comment. It is still a part of the game, you're (and everyone else of course) free to have your opinion and my opinion just happens to be the opposite. I don't like it no sir I do not and reading those for the eleventy seventh time hasn't convinced me otherwise. I don't even want this to go into a big debate, Direct's in a few hours and I want a break from Neogaf before it starts :)

All I ask is that people can at least watch Jim Sterling's videos if you don't know what fee-to-pay is either the one I linked or the one on Overwatch to understand where I'm coming from and so I don't get the "what the hell're you on about?" response again.

That's the last I'm posting for a few now.

EDIT: again I dunno.. There's no 'right' way to do this as far as I'm concerned, but then again you go back several years and this kinda debate was going on about online passes and how devs aren't charities and have to make their money somewhere. Well apparently that place wasn't online passes...

I dunno. Microtransactions seem great for making money and a lot (unfortunately) of people like 'em so I guess they're here to stay but I still don't like them and well...tuff it's just my opinion (don't ask me why tough is spelt like that it's just a family joke).

I'm not even going to pretend for a second I know the solution because I don't but I don't have to like them or even shut up about them do I? It's an opinion like people disliking/liking other things. I'm fully entitled to it.

Now I bid you adieu for reels.

That's almost every single excuse that I've ever read on the subject rolled into one comment. It is still a part of the game, you're (and everyone else of course) free to have your opinion and my opinion just happens to be the opposite. I don't like it no sir I do not and reading those for the eleventy seventh time hasn't convinced me otherwise. I don't even want this to go into a big debate, Direct's in a few hours and I want a break from Neogaf before it starts :)

All I ask is that people can at least watch Jim Sterling's videos if you don't know what fee-to-pay is either the one I linked or the one on Overwatch to understand where I'm coming from and so I don't get the "what the hell're you on about?" response again.

That's the last I'm posting for a few now.

EDIT: again I dunno.. There's no 'right' way to do this as far as I'm concerned, but then again you go back several years and this kinda debate was going on about online passes and how devs aren't charities and have to make their money somewhere. Well apparently that place wasn't online passes...

I dunno. Microtransactions seem great for making money and a lot (unfortunately) of people like 'em so I guess they're here to stay but I still don't like them and well...tuff it's just my opinion (don't ask me why tough is spelt like that it's just a family joke).

I'm not even going to pretend for a second I know the solution because I don't but I don't have to like them or even shut up about them do I? It's an opinion like people disliking/liking other things. I'm fully entitled to it.

Now I bid you adieu for reels.

because of the trading system you can generally get 90% of the items you want for under 5$ if you purchase keys and trade them to someone for the item. Most are under 1 dollar. For very rare items like black market decals or a white painted version of a car or really popular wheel then the free market takes over and those items can be worth a ton.

last update where they allowed us to trade in boosts you get by playing the game I ended up getting an octane that now trades for 60 keys, I didn't spend a dollar to get this car I was lucky however,. Because of trading the 60 keys I've bought in Rocket league have turned into over 200. I rarely open crates and have never got anything expensive from them. I just trade my crates when they drop, horde keys and make good trades. Yeah it takes work and became a bit of a hobby for me but I love this system because I can profit off of it if I don't choose to open crates.

Psyonix has added so many free items(90 more in this patch alone), maps, game modes, quality of life fixes, features directly asked for by the community on top of very expensive dedicated servers that some of the largest companies in the world won't pay for and I just don't see how people don't understand the money goes to a great place. The game is dirt cheap and having 2.99 DLC every few months probably wasn't enough to fund this type of content long term.

because of the trading system you can generally get 90% of the items you want for under 5$ if you purchase keys and trade them to someone for the item. Most are under 1 dollar. For very rare items like black market decals or a white painted version of a car or really popular wheel then the free market takes over and those items can be worth a ton.

last update where they allowed us to trade in boosts you get by playing the game I ended up getting an octane that now trades for 60 keys, I didn't spend a dollar to get this car I was lucky however,. Because of trading the 60 keys I've bought in Rocket league have turned into over 200. I rarely open crates and have never got anything expensive from them. I just trade my crates when they drop, horde keys and make good trades. Yeah it takes work and became a bit of a hobby for me but I love this system because I can profit off of it if I don't choose to open crates.

Psyonix has added so many free items(90 more in this patch alone), maps, game modes, quality of life fixes, features directly asked for by the community on top of very expensive dedicated servers that some of the largest companies in the world won't pay for and I just don't see how people don't understand the money goes to a great place. The game is dirt cheap and having 2.99 DLC every few months probably wasn't enough to fund this type of content long term.
Great post, really says all that needs to be said. I get how this stuff can rub people the wrong way in general but I think if you're actively involved with RL you've seen how much of a net positive it's been. Generally speaking I'm not a big DLC fan and I never pay for microtransactions but this system works much better than the stereotypical systems many are used to seeing.

I'm so jealous about that Octane. -_-

I fucking hate that they're locking new cars behind their gambling scam. Not getting that car then.
Here is the current value of every single unpainted crate car in keys. If you wait a few weeks they eventually become cheaper than the 1.99 Licensed cars are sold for.

Breakout Type-S 0.5-1
Dominus GT .75-1.25
Octane ZSR 0.75-1
Road Hog XL 0.33-1
Takumi RXT 0.5-1.25
X-Devil MK2 0.33-1
Endo 1-1.5
Mantis 0.75-1.25
Centio V17 0.75-1
Animus GP 0.75-1

JoeLT

This reads as if the in game parties are going to replace, not compliment the current system party. Really hope I can still use the system level invite features on Xbox and PS4 for partying up as well as this cross play system. I’m all for cross play parties, but I also don’t want console gaming to turn into the Wild West that is PC gaming where not ever game uses the Steam invite system and half of them use their own in game parties. I want to be able to look at my friends profile on Xbox and join them if their parties open or send them an invite even if they’re not in the game. I know some people might take it as a given it will work this way but that’s not the wording I got from the blog, which makes it seem like Steam party invites won’t work.

Allforce

Here is the current value of every single unpainted crate car in keys. If you wait a few weeks they eventually become cheaper than the 1.99 Licensed cars are sold for.

Breakout Type-S 0.5-1
Dominus GT .75-1.25
Octane ZSR 0.75-1
Road Hog XL 0.33-1
Takumi RXT 0.5-1.25
X-Devil MK2 0.33-1
Endo 1-1.5
Mantis 0.75-1.25
Centio V17 0.75-1
Animus GP 0.75-1

I've never traded in keys before, how does a 0.75 of a key work?

MUnited83

For you.

FEE not FREE.

Microtransaction are different to loot boxes
"Fee" to play would imply you need to pay for the content. You don't. Every fucking thing is cosmetic. You don't need it. Most of that content wouldn't even exist to begin with without this system.
People still crying about it and saying they are not playing are ridiculous. Not playing a game because of cosmetics? How pathetic. Did you guys think the game was shitty on release because it didn't have enough cosmetics then?

Game has received a shitload of completely free cosmetic items since release as well.

I've never traded in keys before, how does a 0.75 of a key work?

You basically just trade it for a key or a key plus a topper if you want to haggle.

Keep in mind this is the PC prices. PS4 has it's own economy but shouldn't be very different on low end stuff. Xbox cannot trade keys so you crates for items most likely.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
"Fee" to play would imply you need to pay for the content. You don't. Every fucking thing is cosmetic. You don't need it. Most of that content wouldn't even exist to begin with without this system.
People still crying about it and saying they are not playing are ridiculous. Not playing a game because of cosmetics? How pathetic. Did you guys think the game was shitty on release because it didn't have enough cosmetics then?

Game has received a shitload of completely free cosmetic items since release as well.

Yes, but JUST LET ME OUTRIGHT BUY THAT SHIT! I have bought several of the cars, and would buy goal explosions and such if I could, because I like supporting good devs if the system for doing so is fair. But the result of them locking more and more stuff behind their gambling system is that I don't buy anything at all. I did try a few times, and only got utter trash. Not a single fucking thing I actually wanted. So I'm done with that. Congrats to Psyonix for losing out on my money. But I guess they come out ahead overall with this strategy, because why else would they keep doing it. For me it has made the customization aspect of the game less fun, or rather something I mostly ignore now. And while that "doesn't matter", it is a bit sad, because Rocket League is my favorite and most played game of all time.

elyetis

Good, we might finaly stop hearing
"Why do people even care about cross platform, you can't even party with others ?!"
in topic about sony stance about cross platform with other console.

Top Bottom