• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League: Autumn Update Details (Cross platform parties coming before years end)

ps3ud0

Hoping that includes voice over party too within the game. Need an entity beyond the platform owners to administrate something like this as just having a bigger player pool is myopic as a goal.

ps3ud0 8)

Chronus

Now all that's left is a separate tab in your inventory for crates, so they stop cluttering your equipables and facilitate your crate searching.

Kayant

Yes, but JUST LET ME OUTRIGHT BUY THAT SHIT! I have bought several of the cars, and would buy goal explosions and such if I could, because I like supporting good devs if the system for doing so is fair. But the result of them locking more and more stuff behind their gambling system is that I don't buy anything at all. I did try a few times, and only got utter trash. Not a single fucking thing I actually wanted. So I'm done with that. Congrats to Psyonix for losing out on my money. But I guess they come out ahead overall with this strategy, because why else would they keep doing it. For me it has made the customization aspect of the game less fun, or rather something I mostly ignore now. And while that "doesn't matter", it is a bit sad, because Rocket League is my favorite and most played game of all time.
The reason why it's like this is for items to have more exclusivity.
I do agree there is way too much RNG in the whole process but being able to easily items would mean the exclusivity is lost for the most part.

And it's not like customisation is completely died since they started the crate system new obtainable items are still be added of course with the most elaborate ones been locked to the crate system for greater exclusivity.

Source - https://www.destructoid.com/rocket-...is-going-to-be-absolutely-packed-460687.phtml

Transparent Goalposts:
The Fall Update will introduce transparent goalposts. "The big deal is that it's toggleable," Davis says. "There's a ton of games that do transparent walls but in our case, not only do you have to be able to see any curvature but also any boundaries, so you don't just like drive off the side trying to Spider-Man clear the ball."

But, he also adds that "technically, there's a very small performance hit. So people on a 10-year old PC (which we definitely have), they can turn it off if they feel like it's hurting the performance. In our profiling, it has almost no impact unless you're really on a potato PC."

Events:
Psyonix is going to lean harder into events, and one way to do that is to give away earnable keys. "Now we're going full-on event stuff. One of the things we're talking about it is a new type of item you'll be able to get from events is a Decryptor. That's basically a free key that you can open any crate with. So you can get like three of them per event by [playing enough]," Davis says.

Why is this the first time Psyonix has skewed toward giving away its microtransactions? "For a long time, we wanted to be very clear that keys are paid for and you don't grind for them. Because then it creates this weird psychology of 'This is unfairly difficult' and people think that they should be able to farm this stuff. It was very clear from us that this is paid content. This is really just a way in very limited quantities to sample or get that crate item you wanted but without paying for a key.

The caveat is that because these are earnable, the items that you get are untradeable. That's something we kind of have to do to protect the economy because otherwise people could farm with bots."

More stuff about each update feature at source if you're interested.

Source - https://www.destructoid.com/rocket-...ng-toward-cross-platform-parties-460673.phtml

Cross-platform parties:
Sometime in October, Psyonix plans to roll out a Steam beta test for cross-platform parties. While it'll be confined to just PC, the goal here is to a) load test for eventually scaling up to handle 100 percent of Rocket League's users and to b) implement the game's own friends system.

Psyonix doesn't have the full-on green light, though. There are a couple of hangups which may potentially never get resolved. For instance, Davis says that he can't yet answer whether players will be able to form PlayStation to Xbox parties. "We're still talking to partners," he said. Between Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft, it would be hardly surprising if one or more of them flatly refused to allow cross-platform parties with their direct competition.

Similarly, it's unclear how a chat system might work (especially given how convoluted the Switch's voice solution currently is). For now, Psyonix says that it's "working with partners regarding what restrictions would need to be in place for cross-platform friends." Also, it still seems as if trading items across platforms won't be an option. Psyonix's stance on that right now is "We don't have any current plans to support cross-platform trading primarily because our partners have policies that forbid trading most of what players would want to trade."

Top Bottom