• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League Championship Series - Finals this Weekend

RL1.png

The time has come for the culmination of the first RLCS, a Rocket League esports tournament sanctioned by Psyonix themselves. Thousands of teams competed over the course of multiple months but now we are down to the final eight, the four best from NA and EU.

Official site: https://www.rocketleagueesports.com/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/rlcs

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/rocketleague

The teams:

RL2.png

I've been playing Rocket League since the beginning but honestly had no interest in the "pro" scene. A few months back I was bored and watched part of a tournament stream on Twitch. From that moment on I saw the potential, an esport that is simple enough to be exciting and easily watchable yet complex enough to be deep and strategic. Unlike spectating in many other games, watching RL is much like watching a live sport; the action is easy to follow and doesn't require much input from the broadcasting crew. Just keep your eyes on the ball!

Psyonix has done a decent job promoting RLCS within RL but they still need to work on their outside promotion. However, this is understandable when considering the size of Psyonix's team relative to giants like Valve and Blizzard. I haven't seen much buzz for these finals on GAF so I thought it would be fun to make a thread to house all discussion related to RLCS and pro RL in general.

Even if you haven't watched any competitive RL I would encourage you to give spectating a shot. Rocket League is very easy to understand and anyone with a cursory understanding of the game should be able to appreciate the level of skill on display with these teams.

As part of the promotion for RLCS Psyonix has been releasing Player Spotlight videos to shed some light on some of the competitors in RLCS. Here are the two released so far:

Player Spotlight: Philip 'Paschy90' Paschmeyer

Player Spotlight: Cameron 'Kronovi' Bills

If you're interested, here are replays for the RLCS matches we've seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdKuPY64fEpI4cdlBSyvEJw/playlists

See you guys this weekend!

dickroach

I've never watched a tournament live, but love watching iBP videos on youtube. I'ma throw it on the 55" this weekend and treat it like the god damn Super Bowl

what time on Sat/Sun? I can't find it on the site

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
That Pokemon thread should have been "Why isn't Rocket League THE e-sport".

Bring on the weekend, i hope to get a chance to get to see some live. Going to a game themed fancy dress party at the weekend, maybe I should convince them it's appropriate ;)

Excited for this. Gonna be very interested in seeing how LAN effects some of these teams. For a lot of them it's the first time they met in person. I am beyond excited for update news.

ErichWK

so I'll be up there (sunday), actually most of us Psyonix will be up there. It'd be cool to see some fellow Gaffers

It was $75,000 for the entire series. $20,000 of which has already been played for in the NA and EU online finals of the two group stages. The rest of the prize pool, $55,000, is up for grabs in these international LAN finals. Each of the eight teams gets some of that remaining pool, with the winner getting half of it ($27,500).

The main RLCS website isn't as clear as it could be. Here are the rules and such: https://www.rocketleagueesports.com/rules

Hopefully my internet upgrade won't kill my chances of seeing the finals. Pretty genius having Hollywood Principle be the live performance.

Here's the prize pool breakdown for RLCS.

For the entire series, including the two group stages and the LAN finals: $75,000

Online finals for the first group stage (May 21-22, after the first qualifiers): $10,000
NA first place: $3,500 (iBP Cosmic)
NA second place: $1,500 (Kings of Urban)
EU first place: $3,500 (Flipsid3 Tactics)
EU second place: $1,500 (We Dem Girlz -- now, Northern Gaming)

Online finals for the second group stage (July 9-10, after the second qualifiers): $10,000
NA first place: $3,500 (Kings of Urban)
NA second place: $1,500 (Exodus)
EU first place: $3,500 (We Dem Girlz -- now, Northern Gaming)
EU second place: $1,500 (Supersonic Avengers)

Live LAN finals (August 6-7): $55,000
1st place: $27,500
2nd place:$11,000
3rd place: $4,950
4th place: $3,850
5th place: $2,750
6th place: $2,750
7th place: $1,100
8th place: $1,100

Note that the eight teams advancing to the finals this weekend were based on points accumulated via their standing during both group stages (which is why Supersonic Avengers didn't make it--they didn't have enough points since they were upset in the first qualifiers and missed the first group stage). Also, I believe the members of the eight teams in the LAN finals get travel and hotel expenses paid by Psyonix, separate from the prize pool.

Tough for Doomsee and his Supersonic Avengers. Had they won the second online finals, they would have gone to the live finals. Instead, The Flying Dutchmen scrape by them on points to make it to this weekend--a great story for Vogan and the boys from the Netherlands. They actually just came together as a team right before RLCS started!

Grinchy

Banned
It was $75,000 for the entire series. $20,000 of which has already been played for in the NA and EU online finals of the two group stages. The rest of the prize pool, $55,000, is up for grabs in these international LAN finals. Each of the eight teams gets some of that remaining pool, with the winner getting half of it ($27,500).

The main RLCS website isn't as clear as it could be. Here are the rules and such: https://www.rocketleagueesports.com/rules

Oh, wow that's cool that people actually got payouts for the online finals. I had just assumed the prize pool was being saved for the LAN matches.

I bet in a year or two they'll copy the DOTA2 model and sell some in-game item that produces a massive prize pool for the tournament.

Oh, wow that's cool that people actually got payouts for the online finals. I had just assumed the prize pool was being saved for the LAN matches.

I bet in a year or two they'll copy the DOTA2 model and sell some in-game item that produces a massive prize pool for the tournament.
This will be announced Sunday. Case and key system.

The channel is live. First thing will be a performanceby Hollywood Principle. Rocket League has a great soundtrack so they should be fun to watch.

Unicorn

watching now. Shocking how little coverage tournies seem to get compared to FGC and the amount of players of RL.

Seeing every ball get hit is a beautiful thing. So used to seeing whiffs every so often.

Unicorn

I wish we got more snaps of the players. I want to see those sweat stains form. I imagine this first instance of LAN play is affecting a lot of players.
Halfway there already

Sweet Tooth PS4 exclusive still stings. I swear I still contemplate getting a PS4 purely to be able to play as Sweet Tooth. Twisted Metal is one of my favorite franchises.

Poor Genesis.

Unain

4 ping, I'm usually on 8... probably living next to the servers.
I think the NA scene isn't as used to low-ping as EU.

Unicorn

4 ping, I'm usually on 8... probably living next to the servers.
I think the NA scene isn't as used to low-ping as EU.

nah single digits is totally unheard of. 40 - 50 is average. US has a lot more space, more spread out land mass.

Kayant

nah single digits is totally unheard of. 40 - 50 is average. US has a lot more space, more spread out land mass.
Nah he's not wrong i get 4-8 at non-peak times once in a while. And I don't have some super connection or something.
I have Sky fibre in the UK with 40Mbps Down, 10Mbps Up.

Unicorn

Nah he's not wrong i get 4-8 at non-peak times once in a while. And I don't have some super connection or something.
I have Sky fibre in the UK with 40Mbps Down, 10Mbps Up.

I worded it weird. I agree with him. UK people are closer together, on the whole. US is more spread out so we are not used to such low ping.

Top Bottom