• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League suddenly has the most toxic community i've seen. and its a shame.

Salsa

I adore this game and I love the devs so I hate to give a game "bad" publicity but I gotta be real

kbNBTdz.png

idk what the report button does

but this is basically one guy out of every single one ive come across playing today. for some reason its worse in south american servers. I reported him 3 times in 3 different matches.

im having a fucking mental breakdown man. It just straight up ruined my mood. "time to put the controller down" and all, and I seriously rarely get mad at games, but god damn

here's the difference:

if a player griefs you in a fighting game when you lose, ultimately he's right, so you deal

playing Rocket League with randoms who are terrible and at the same time call you whatever racist / homophobic racist slur at you for missing and at the end of the game say "lol learn to play faggot" when your score is way higher than them seriously grinds my gears to a point I havent experienced in a game in a long time

it aint even about the moment itself, wether the trolling works (which fuck it but it does, I almost threw my controller today after being demoted a rank cause of a shitty teammate who kept shitting on me while playing awful), but it's the fact that its such a good god damn game that it seriously bums me out to see people ruining it like this

it was bound to happen, it's a very popular multiplayer competitive game, but god damn man Psyonix oughta implement a better report function cause it is seriously keeping me from playing. It's intolerable.

Ive been playing since it came out, and after hundreds of hours it is absolutely keeping me away from it at times.

Salsa

It sucks but I think you can disable all chat except the quick chats now.

it's the same thing

you'd play with a guy and he'll go "Wow!" "What a Save!" when you miss and then when he fucks up either keep silent or ragequit

I don't get antagonizing team mates. Who does that help?

PepperedHam

It sucks but I think you can disable all chat except the quick chats now.
It'd be nice if I could disable it all. Quick chat trolling is just as enraging for me. Having some butthole spam What a save over and over when I mess up is just as distracting as someone calling me a faggot.

Salsa

It'd be nice if I could disable it all. Quick chat trolling is just as enraging for me. Having some butthole spam What a save over and over when I mess up is just as distracting as someone calling me a faggot.

We shouldnt have to. Quick chat can be important for proper coordination too.

it's the same thing

you'd play with a guy and he'll go "Wow!" "What a Save!" when you miss and then when he fucks up either keep silent or ragequit

I don't get antagonizing team mates. Who does that help?

I love doing that and I crack up when others troll me too. One of the (many) things I actually enjoy about RL. Shit talk (when not crossing the line) is fun.

Salsa

Go to options and disable all text and voice chat --> problem solved

1) quick chat is still there

2) it's easy to turn that off on COD cause you aint exactly jugglin butllets between 2 players to get it to some goal. Communication is still key to this game

That's a damn shame. I absolutely adore Rocket League, and part of the reason why is because it's one of the few games I can bear to play online with chat enabled since the community has been pretty decent.

I knew the trolls and general Internet scum would claim Rocket League eventually... it's still really disappointing to see it actually happen, though.

Certinty

I actually quite like the crap that people say when on opposing teams, heats stuff up and I just reply back in the same way.

But yeah when it's your own team doing it then it is pretty shitty indeed, that's why I mostly only play with friends on my team.

The actual community of fans is far from toxic, but the random players from all over the world (and high player bases) means you'll get some rotten people more often than not.

Messi

I have noticed this seems to be much more widespread on the X1. I rarely experienced it in over 100 hours on ps4. Its very odd and saddening.

Ranked has a lot of assholes. EU servers has been like that almost since day 1. I mostly play with friends and we just laugh it of, but when you're alone it can be pretty frustation. Player match is much better though in my experience.

Thraktor

This is why I don't play ranked. It just gets too frustrating to lose points because you've got a moron for a team-mate, who then goes on to blame you for the loss. There are as many jerks in unranked, but it's a lot easier to ignore.

Plus I'm not very good at the game.

Salsa

I love doing that and I crack up when others troll me too. One of the (many) things I actually enjoy about RL. Shit talk (when not crossing the line) is fun.

shit talking the other team? sure. I do that with people I know and then when they score a proper good goal I still go "Nice Shot!" at them.

doing it to your own random teammate tho?

1) You can disable all chat

2) Dont play with randoms if you want teamplay

1) read my point about communication. some times people arent assholes and then the game's great.

2) I dont have time. I'd be playing like twice a week if I was going friends only

I really enjoyed what little time I spent with this game, but I stopped playing once I realized how shit I was at it. I didn't want to ruin anyone else's game by being on their team.

one of the most recognized users on Neogaf...isnt playing with people from neogaf? the fuck?

i understand where youre coming from, but you have plenty of options for a solid group here.

It's pretty bad yeah. I will give the devs credit for adding a report function(hopefully it does something soon) and giving people ways to block out any form of communication they want but it's still a very unfortunate thing.

Tagyhag

Yeah all you can do is report the douchebags unfortunately.

but this is basically one guy out of every single one ive come across playing today. for some reason its worse in south american servers. I reported him 3 times in 3 different matches.

That happens in DOTA 2 and LoL as well.

Salsa

one of the most recognized users on Neogaf...isnt playing with people from neogaf? the fuck?

i understand where youre coming from, but you have plenty of options for a solid group here.

I do, ocassionally. We actually used to play a lot more early days, dunno what happend?

but it's a time thing. Im in south america, timezones etc

don't look at the chat and get good

im great.

Yup, its sad when some light jabbing enrages someone. If someone ACTUALLY says something out of line, yeah, it's annoying.

But, spamming "what a save!"? If that gets you riled up, you might want to seek therapy.

Not kidding.

shit talking the other team? sure. I do that with people I know and then when they score a proper good goal I still go "Nice Shot!" at them.

doing it to your own random teammate tho?

Absolutely.

It's the equivalent at cracking a joke on someone when they make a mistake.

Spinifex

All online gaming has been transitioning to this kind of toxicity for years. I remember the abuse I got every single fucking round in Left 4 Dead, which was 8 years ago.

The only games I'll play online now are co-op games with friends.

While I agree that there are a lot of shitty trash talkers that play this game, it's incredibly satisfying shutting them up or seeing them rage quit.

Dario ff

Banned
There's also some weird attachment of expectation of skill to the XP title, and I've seen more and more people actively hide it due to this, which is a shame. All that thing says is how much you've played, nothing to do with skill level. Even to the point of being told I shouldn't play with my IRL friend just because he has a much higher title than me...

Reminds me of all the "Wow" and "You Rock!" people spam in Smite when they're scrubbing it up and trying to blame you or when they think you suck because you're not everywhere they want you to be on the map and can't save them all the time. Gets so damn frustrating.

Can't say I've run into that in Rocket League yet but man, that would be annoying.

Salsa

Absolutely.

It's the equivalent at cracking a joke on someone when they make a mistake.

how's this scenario fine:

dude plays like shit. misses balls. I say nothing. if anything "close one!"

I miss once

he goes

WOW
WOW
WOW
WHAT A SAVE
WHAT A SAVE

dude mistakenly passes it to them. they score and win.

game ends

I get demoted a rank.

"learn to play faggot lololol kkkk"
"wow you're shit"
similar derivative

yeah super cool and playful

Had one guy do this the other day, told him to relax, he sent me a party chat to talk more shit, I refused, so he sent me a phone number lol.

Reported him, and just hoping Psyonix does something about it. An outright ban to play the game would be awesome, along with a permanent ban from using chat.

Some people say the most toxic things imaginable, and I'd love for them to never be able to type in that game again.

Anyways, I've had a lot of great interactions too. I think this game would be perfect if they added a few more things to quick chat and let me disable regular chat altogether.

"Well played, good luck, hello, lol" are all that I'd like to see added.

Fedemgsuy

"salame", an insult i never tough id see on gaf.
On topic: it feels like every single game has the "most toxic community", proliferation of morons i guess...

I miss once

he goes

WOW
WOW
WOW
WHAT A SAVE
WHAT A SAVE

game ends

I get demoted a rank

"wow you're shit"
similar derivative

It's just the internet. Let it roll. It's just a game.

I miss once

he goes

WOW
WOW
WOW
WHAT A SAVE
WHAT A SAVE

game ends

I get demoted a rank

"wow you're shit"
similar derivative

Like I said before, trash talk when not crossing the line is fun. In your scenario he crossed the line.

Salsa

It's just the internet. Let it roll. It's just a game.

it's a bummer when you report a guy 3 times and keep getting matched with him

idk what the current report function does and I dont think anyone does

"salame", an insult i never tough id see on gaf.
On topic: it feels like every single game has the "most toxic community", proliferation of morons i guess...

salame is the equivalent of "doofus" compared to "SHUT THE FUCK YOU STUPID KID" which is basically what he says in the screenshot

Shadybiz

Yeah it sucks for sure. I just mute everything. I do understand the point about communication, but, at my level of play (i.e., shitty), it really doesn't matter that much.

Kouriozan

Part of why I almost never play PvP games, the other reason is I have agoraphobia and almost everything makes me anxious when facing other people online.
In fact, without GAF rooms/friends I would have never played Splatoon online, so thanks guys.

Top Bottom