• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
anything on this list would be fantastic, once the fat was trimmed

gcQ1WXC.jpg

Bullet For My Valentine Song Pack – $11.99

Bullet For My Valentine “Hand of Blood” – Drop C
Bullet For My Valentine “Hearts Burst into Fire” – Drop C
Bullet For My Valentine “Scream Aim Fire” – D Standard
Bullet For My Valentine “Tears Don’t Fall” – Drop C / D Standard [Bass]
Bullet For My Valentine “Your Betrayal” – Drop C

Xyber

I'm not a huge fan of the band, but I've enjoyed some custom songs by them because they were really fun to play. Picked up the pack and after about 2 playthroughs of them all I'm glad I did. They are hard, but not super hard. Only song I really struggle with is Scream Aim Fire mainly because of the fast strumming. I also think it's the first time they have tabbed out a pick slide in that pack.

I'm hoping to upgrade to the PS4 version in the near future, but what the hell is going on with DLC in the EU PSN store?

It seems they're not putting any old content up, yet not adding any of the new packs either?

Can't wait for them to cock up the free Hendrix DLC by not putting it up until after the offer has expired.

Shadybiz

Oh man, I guess it's time to jump on the AFI and Bachsmith packs; thanks toymachine!

Also, just wanted to note that I recently went back to Rocksmith after a few months hiatus (was just super busy). I tried the method of putting the songs to 100% difficulty, and just slowing down to like 50 or 60 percent speed. I definitely concur that this is the way to go, at least for me.

Xyber

Also, just wanted to note that I recently went back to Rocksmith after a few months hiatus (was just super busy). I tried the method of putting the songs to 100% difficulty, and just slowing down to like 50 or 60 percent speed. I definitely concur that this is the way to go, at least for me.

I started doing that not long after I got the first game and haven't looked back since. It's just easier to learn how something should be played when you have all the notes instead of re-learning it every time it throws something new at you.

The one thing I don't like that should've been patched a long time ago is master mode activating on its own even though I've set it to off in the settings. 90% of the time it works as it should and then out of the blue some song decides to hide the notes. It always seems to happen when I go back to something I haven't played in a while, so I don't remember most of it anyway. Then I have to bring up the riff repeater settings, enable and disable master mode and now it works like it should again for a few days. It's just annoying.

So there is trouble with input lag when using the HDMI output from PS4 to television and from television to stereo amplifier?

I have an old hifi amp that does not have any other inputs than RCA so I can't connect straight from PS4 to the amp.

Is there anything I could do besides investing in a new amp?

Shadybiz

I started doing that not long after I got the first game and haven't looked back since. It's just easier to learn how something should be played when you have all the notes instead of re-learning it every time it throws something new at you.

The one thing I don't like that should've been patched a long time ago is master mode activating on its own even though I've set it to off in the settings. 90% of the time it works as it should and then out of the blue some song decides to hide the notes. It always seems to happen when I go back to something I haven't played in a while, so I don't remember most of it anyway. Then I have to bring up the riff repeater settings, enable and disable master mode and now it works like it should again for a few days. It's just annoying.

I think you were the first person I saw recommending doing this, so thanks for that! Yeah, definitely best to see everything that's ever going to come at you, that way you don't have to figure out an entirely new hand position when it changes.

Ah, then it's NOT just my system that's screwing up on the Master mode!

Bit on the Bachsmith and AFI packs. I watched youtube videos of a dude playing the 4 AFI songs.. ..looks like they're harder to play than they sound! Lots of barres up and down the neck, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it in time.

M.Steiner

Bon Jovi DLC next week
Oh nice!

I expect they'll go with their most popular stuff like Wanted Dead or Alive, Livin' on a Prayer, You Give Love a Bad Name, Always etc (which I'd be ok with) but if they have anything like Hey God, I Believe, Dry County or even Runaway in there too I'd be very happy. Will buy either way.

XShagrath

Ubisoft are a bunch of shits. Rocksmith 2014 is the daily deal on Steam today, and the a bunch of the single songs got discounted to 50%, but they left the packs at only 25%.

Massa

So there is trouble with input lag when using the HDMI output from PS4 to television and from television to stereo amplifier?

I have an old hifi amp that does not have any other inputs than RCA so I can't connect straight from PS4 to the amp.

Is there anything I could do besides investing in a new amp?

You can use a relatively cheap adapter, check their FAQ.

RS2014 on sale (cable included) on Amazon for $40 as well, including new gen. Does PS4 allow import of prior RS songs as well? Though I'm guessing it is only from the PS3 version, and iirc I bought RS on the 360, grrr...

Rocksmith 2014 w/ cable $39.99 ($31.99 GCU) for all platforms at Best Buy (.com) today.

It's $40 on Amazon too.

I've been thinking about whether or not to jump on this. I don't know anyone that owns this, and I don't know how committed to this I would be. I own an acoustic and wanted to teach myself how to play it, but I don't know more than a few chords and how to read music.

I really do want to learn, and I want feedback from anyone who was a first-time guitar player and started playing Rocksmith. How was the learning curve? Is it more effective than using an app or watching videos online on how to play?

It's $40 on Amazon too.

I've been thinking about whether or not to jump on this. I don't know anyone that owns this, and I don't know how committed to this I would be. I own an acoustic and wanted to teach myself how to play it, but I don't know more than a few chords and how to read music.

I really do want to learn, and I want feedback from anyone who was a first-time guitar player and started playing Rocksmith. How was the learning curve? Is it more effective than using an app or watching videos online on how to play?

I've recently started this so I guess I can provide some feedback. I've always been a fan of Guitar Hero and after playing my fill of them I decided to try learning how to play a real guitar. I got my first guitar about 5 years ago. I had it for 3 years and started out learning from books, which I quickly lost interest in. Then I built up a large collection of tabs of songs I liked and tried to learn that way. I got a bit better but eventually lost interest in that as well since there was no feedback. I had no idea if I was doing things correctly. I got Rocksmith 2014 on Friday and have already played 5 hours (fingers are still kind of numb) and it's completely got that motivational feedback mechanism that other methods lacked. It has plenty of specific lessons for various techniques and will suggest them to you when you try to play a song with those techniques that you haven't done the lesson for yet. It has just the right amount of gamey-ness from the GH/RB style of games to keep me playing.

Xyber

It's $40 on Amazon too.

When I got Rocksmith I only knew how to play some chords on acoustic from watching some youtube videos. Could kinda play some easier stuff like Bad Moon Rising.

Then I got a guitar and Rocksmith pretty much exactly 2 years ago now and have used that, tabs and youtube to learn for the most part (too cheap to take lessons :p). It took a few days to get comfortable with how the notes are displayed in the game, at that stage the dynamic difficulty was a good thing and it didn't throw too much at me when I first started out.

About a week after I got the game I recorded this. It's far from great, but I mainly did it to have some sort of reference to how I played as a beginner. Just keep in mind that I have it fairly easy to play to rhythm games like this, so how fast you will get used to the interface really just depends on you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnPBGWD_x1U

I still got long ways to go before I'd consider myself a "good" guitar player. I'm still bad at more complicated arpeggio stuff and I'm not anywhere near skilled enough to pull of some fast solos. But I've also come a long way since that first video as you can see in this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP9Suu4DAKg

I have no plans on becoming a musician, I'm just playing for fun and learning as I go. I'm not in a rush to learn those fast solos, that stuff will come eventually with enough practice.

Also, Rocksmith makes it fun to play so you are less likely to give up. There's very few games I've put as much time into as RS. Guitar Hero and Rock Band are the only ones that can beat it really.

gilclz.jpg

Bon Jovi Song Pack – $11.99

Jon Bon Jovi “Blaze of Glory” – Drop D [Bass]
Bon Jovi “It’s My Life” – Drop C [Bass]
Bon Jovi “Livin’ On A Prayer”
Bon Jovi “Wanted Dead or Alive”
Bon Jovi “You Give Love A Bad Name”

ShamePain

Banned
Bon Jovi Song Pack – $11.99

Jon Bon Jovi “Blaze of Glory” – Drop D [Bass]
Bon Jovi “It’s My Life” – Drop C [Bass]
Bon Jovi “Livin’ On A Prayer”
Bon Jovi “Wanted Dead or Alive”
Bon Jovi “You Give Love A Bad Name”

Nice, will surely pick this up, even though I not even good yet.

ShamePain

Banned
When I got Rocksmith I only knew how to play some chords on acoustic from watching some youtube videos. Could kinda play some easier stuff like Bad Moon Rising.

Then I got a guitar and Rocksmith pretty much exactly 2 years ago now and have used that, tabs and youtube to learn for the most part (too cheap to take lessons :p). It took a few days to get comfortable with how the notes are displayed in the game, at that stage the dynamic difficulty was a good thing and it didn't throw too much at me when I first started out.

About a week after I got the game I recorded this. It's far from great, but I mainly did it to have some sort of reference to how I played as a beginner. Just keep in mind that I have it fairly easy to play to rhythm games like this, so how fast you will get used to the interface really just depends on you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnPBGWD_x1U

I still got long ways to go before I'd consider myself a "good" guitar player. I'm still bad at more complicated arpeggio stuff and I'm not anywhere near skilled enough to pull of some fast solos. But I've also come a long way since that first video as you can see in this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP9Suu4DAKg

I have no plans on becoming a musician, I'm just playing for fun and learning as I go. I'm not in a rush to learn those fast solos, that stuff will come eventually with enough practice.

Also, Rocksmith makes it fun to play so you are less likely to give up. There's very few games I've put as much time into as RS. Guitar Hero and Rock Band are the only ones that can beat it really.

gilclz.jpg

Well, you still at less than 1/10 of 10000 hour rule, so if you play the same amount of time you've already played 10 times over, you'll be a world class master. Good luck on that endeavor haha.

Xyber

Well, you still at less than 1/10 of 10000 hour rule, so if you play the same amount of time you've already played 10 times over, you'll be a world class master. Good luck on that endeavor haha.

It's gonna be a long time before I even get close to 10000 hours, that's for sure. :p

You can use a relatively cheap adapter, check their FAQ.

Sweet!

I was actually going to buy an adapter like that when I got my PS4 but then decided to just use the TV's headphones jack into stereo amp since I figured audio quality is "good enough" for games.

Might revisit that thought now, even though the "relatively" in "relatively cheap" is just that, those DAC's go up to hundereds of euros. But I suppose a cheap one will do.

SuperPac

Dangit, missed the sale on the console versions. :( Anyone still has this cheap-ish with the cable? Always wanted to jump in but then I'd also need to buy a guitar too. Gets expensive if you're interested but not sure you'll get enough use out of it.

It's safe to say the whole PSN EU/DLC debacle is beyond a joke now. What a useless bunch of tits:

@Rocksmithgame:

Also, we're aware of the delayed DLC content in the EU PS Store, and we're hoping to get a revised date soon. Just don't have it yet. Sorry,

2:18 AM - 3 Dec 2014

ShamePain

Banned
It's safe to say the whole PSN EU/DLC debacle is beyond a joke now. What a useless bunch of tits:

@Rocksmithgame:

Also, we're aware of the delayed DLC content in the EU PS Store, and we're hoping to get a revised date soon. Just don't have it yet. Sorry,

2:18 AM - 3 Dec 2014

Yep, PSN is a damn joke. The game shows new packs in the news section, but in the store there's nothing since The White Stripes for me.

Yep, PSN is a damn joke. The game shows new packs in the news section, but in the store there's nothing since The White Stripes for me.

There's no valid reason why they can't just upload the content. If the Ubi forums are to be believed, they're frustrated with it too.

If I was having any trouble with another service I pay for - like a utility company, for example - there's a complaints procedure I can follow. In this case, I pay my plus sub and I've already paid for PS3 dlc that I cannot access on PS4 because of what can only be laziness. I can't believe they have the cheek to not add any content until Hendrix in two weeks (that said, I'll believe that when I see it).

Who do I complain to? And by complain I don't mean grumble in a comments section. Shame nobody in the gaming press has picked up on the uselessness here.

Thrakier

gilclz.jpg

You did this after just one week and never touching a guitar before? That's completly amazing, you are an outstanding talent.

Xyber

You did this after just one week and never touching a guitar before? That's completly amazing, you are an outstanding talent.

I did have some knowledge from learning the easy chords on my sisters acoustic (that was the thing that made me want to get an electric). But I had never played on an electric before the game. I find it easy to learn new stuff, but I have never taken the time to get really good at anything so far in my life.

It was pretty much the same with the drums for Rock Band (not that it can be compared to real drums) but I was playing on expert within like 2 weeks. Fun fact, my RB1 drum set is still working and my pedal never broke through any of the 3 games. :D

Top Bottom