• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Starviper

At 200$ for the guitar bundle on Amazon I am very very tempted to grab it. I think i'll add it to my wishlist, maybe friends/family would be willing to get something like this for me for my birthday coming up soon. :)

Were you looking to spend $150 on just the guitar, or the game and guitar? I'd say that $150 spent on the guitar alone will get you a better instrument than the one packaged in. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with different guitars beyond the ones I have myself, and those are in the $300 range. Buying a guitar alone probably would allow you get a pretty good discount too, whereas the game bundle won't be discounted at all.

My suggestion would be to hit up a local store and look at a bunch in your range, and try them out. If you want, you can try to find a better deal online, but I'd suggest supporting the local guys if they're helpful at all.

$150ish for the guitar - I can get the game fairly cheap solo if I need to. I'd definitely plan to buy the instrument from a local store, was just looking for advice on whether to consider the Les Paul Jr is worth considering. Going into a store with a budget in mind and asking for some help is probably the best idea though, thanks!

Onemic

Now that Im getting back into the Rocksmith groove I have to complete my unfulfilled goals I had with the last Rocksmith. Be able to play the following songs with master mode:

High and Dry - Radiohead
Me and the Bean - Spoon
Islands - The xx

And if they finally enable importing RS1 DLC then the ultimate goal:

Play Limelight by Rush at 100% difficulty in all sections.

Iorv3th

So i've put in 3 hours and this game is fun. Not knowing anything about playing guitar it seems like it really teaches you a lot. Seems like it's just like guitar hero in that it's just muscle memory and after a while you get it down and can easily do certain parts.

Makes learning fun though and I can see myself sticking with this.

The hardest part for me is switching from the top 3 strings to any of the bottom 3.

If anyone wants to add me on steam it's D3adcell

XShagrath

On a side note, does anyone know what the last Uplay reward does? The one that costs 40 points and says it unlocks bonus arrangements. Can they be unlocked by just playing through or do you have to do it through Uplay?
Just got this info from another forum that has a Rocksmith viral marketer. Looks like you only can unlock them via uPlay and not through the game. Here's the list of charts.

Paint It, Black - Bonus Lead, Alternate Rhythm
Knights of Cydonia - Bonus Lead
Peace of Mind - Bonus Lead, Bonus Rhythm
Wires - Alternate Lead
Paranoid Android - Bonus Lead
Round and Round - Bonus Lead
Sixteen Saltines - Alternate Lead
Bat Country - Alternate Lead
Chompers - Alternate Lead
Snarling of Beasts - Alternate Rhythm
You Really Got Me - Alternate Rhythm
For a Fool - Alternate Rhythm
The Spirit of Radio - Bonus Bass

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Just got this info from another forum that has a Rocksmith viral marketer. Looks like you only can unlock them via uPlay and not through the game. Here's the list of charts.

Paint It, Black - Bonus Lead, Alternate Rhythm
Knights of Cydonia - Bonus Lead
Peace of Mind - Bonus Lead, Bonus Rhythm
Wires - Alternate Lead
Paranoid Android - Bonus Lead
Round and Round - Bonus Lead
Sixteen Saltines - Alternate Lead
Bat Country - Alternate Lead
Chompers - Alternate Lead
Snarling of Beasts - Alternate Rhythm
You Really Got Me - Alternate Rhythm
For a Fool - Alternate Rhythm
The Spirit of Radio - Bonus Bass

Thanks for the info!!! I was wondering about that myself.

elfinke

I put a couple hours into this last night, after rearranging the living room PC to accommodate me and a guitar.

Worked my way through a bunch of the lessons and then finished the night playing Thunderkiss '65 over and over again.

Shit is hard, man! The practice track at the end of the hammer on/pull off lesson busted me for quite some time - the muscle memory is just not there yet for those small changes between frets and even strings, on either hand. I found the lesson was presented well though, slowing the track down after a few fails, then bumping the speed back up upon my getting it right.

Since FROM haven't randomly selected me to give DaSo2 beta a bash, the fuckers, just means that between mowing the lawn and other boring errands today will be more Rocksmith!

Meia

I think I'm going to give this a shot. Played a very different instrument like 15 years ago, but have wanted to learn the guitar for a bit, so this looks like a good way to do it.

NEEDING a guitar is kind of making me question it though. Bundle seems like the safest bet then upgrade to a better guitar later if it's something you actually want to do. $200 is some investment though. Decisions decisions...

fred

Anyone living here in the UK that's interested in buying a guitar or amp second hand might want to check out preloved.co.uk. Some very good deals on there, much better than eBay.

I'm going to have to get my frets leveled on my SG which is a right pain in the bum. Thought there was only 2 that needed doing so was going to get some wire wool and do it myself but after checking them all there's a good few that need doing. That's probably 50-odd quid down the drain! Will use my strat in the meantime but need to do some work on the nut. It never rains lol

Serves me right for buying 2 VERY cheap DIY guitar kits I guess. The SG cost 60-odd quid and the Strat cost me 50-odd quid so you get what you pay for lololol

Just started this after spending a lot of time with the previous version on PC. It's soooo much better, it doesn't even compare. The UI, the actual in-song engine, the sound - very cool.

My only problem is this: how the hell can I tell Rocksmith that I already have at least some basic skills? I can't seem to level up these songs at a speed that is comparable to the previous game. Been playing "We are the champions" for about an hour and it still throws only a handful of single notes at me and barely levels up any sections even though I hit every single note. Do they deduct points now if you play in between the actual parts?
Also, I thought I had read somewhere that we can now set the starting difficulty ourselves so we wouldn't have to level up the tracks to begin with, but I can't find such an option anywhere. Maybe I'm missing something...

XShagrath

My only problem is this: how the hell can I tell Rocksmith that I already have at least some basic skills? I can't seem to level up these songs at a speed that is comparable to the previous game. Been playing "We are the champions" for about an hour and it still throws only a handful of single notes at me and barely levels up any sections even though I hit every single note. Do they deduct points now if you play in between the actual parts?
Also, I thought I had read somewhere that we can now set the starting difficulty ourselves so we wouldn't have to level up the tracks to begin with, but I can't find such an option anywhere. Maybe I'm missing something...

I think that's all done in riff repeater now, although I haven't messed with it yet.

Fixed1979

I think I'm going to give this a shot. Played a very different instrument like 15 years ago, but have wanted to learn the guitar for a bit, so this looks like a good way to do it.

NEEDING a guitar is kind of making me question it though. Bundle seems like the safest bet then upgrade to a better guitar later if it's something you actually want to do. $200 is some investment though. Decisions decisions...

If you actually have any interest in playing guitar the bundle is probably one of the best ways to go. It'll get you up and making some sounds in very short order.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just an update for the OP, both preorder songs are free in all retail copies via dlc codes for Australia/New Zealand.

fred

Didn't realise there was a Rush pack. What songs are in it..?

Probably waaaay out of my league to play though, Alex Lifeson is a fantastic guitarist.

XShagrath

Does anyone know how often Rocksmith DLC goes on sale on Steam? Want that rush pack... buit £9 is hard to swallow
They were on sale during the Summer sale for 33% off. Rocksmith 1 was a daily deal in late June, and I think they were 66% off at that point.

Next chance is probably the Autumn sale, which will be around Thanksgiving.

Xyber

They were on sale during the Summer sale for 33% off. Rocksmith 1 was a daily deal in late June, and I think they were 66% off at that point.

There's usually a Halloween sale, so the DLC might on sale in a couple of days.

Maddog

Just started this after spending a lot of time with the previous version on PC. It's soooo much better, it doesn't even compare. The UI, the actual in-song engine, the sound - very cool.

Start riff repeater, select all the sections in the song and then change the difficulty to whatever percentage. Then the song will be leveled up.

Storm360

Didn't realise there was a Rush pack. What songs are in it..?

Probably waaaay out of my league to play though, Alex Lifeson is a fantastic guitarist.
Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Subdivisions, Red Barchetta and Limelight

and I'm the same boat, the most guitar I've played is 40 hours of the original Rocksmith (waiting for 2014 to unlock here)

Heres hoping then

elfinke

While much of them are still too difficult for me, Guitarcade games are fucking terrific - well done (and thank you) to whoever came up with and refined them. They have a real 'one more go' quality to them, and that's even before you engage in leaderboard competitions.

Nirran

Ended up picking this up today from a gamestop that had the pc version in stock!. Steam name and uplay name is Nirran.

This game looks really interesting. How is it for a complete beginner? I've been wanting to learn recently and this looks like a neat way to do it.

No Pink Floyd :(

Iorv3th

When you first create your profile it asks you if you have played rocksmith before and what level of player you are. Maybe see if there is something under options?

Onemic

Didn't even notice rs2014's revamped lesson modes. These are actually real nice, I'm gonna go through the whole thing.

Gattsu25

Banned
I like this game.

I hope it'll help me get more familiar with Guitar...my only problem is that my guitar has a jacked up cable input that only picks up sound when it is half unplugged

Just beat "my own summer" on master and got gold with 95% accuracy. damn that felt goodl! I do realize that's probably the easiest song to play in the game lol

This game looks really interesting. How is it for a complete beginner? I've been wanting to learn recently and this looks like a neat way to do it.

No Pink Floyd :(

It's excellent for a beginner (it's also, so far, excellent for intermediate and above which was something of a problem IMO in RS1 due to the UI/loading).
storm430 said:
Heres hoping [for a sale] then
Expect a 33% sale on DLC, including bundles (which makes them pretty reasonable at least in Real American Money). I don't recall 66% off ever happening.

I think that's all done in riff repeater now, although I haven't messed with it yet.

Start riff repeater, select all the sections in the song and then change the difficulty to whatever percentage. Then the song will be leveled up.

When you first create your profile it asks you if you have played rocksmith before and what level of player you are. Maybe see if there is something under options?

Thanks for the replies. I did use the "I played Rocksmith before" setting, but I think that just turns off some of the tutorial texts and voiceovers. Will try out the riff repeater today. It does make a bit more sense to have the section levelling up during in a rehearsal rather than during the live performance mode, but I was so used to it from the original game. :)

JMizzlin

Put this game out at work and have been staring at it all day. I get a pretty decent discount on it so I think I'll pick it up next week. Is it worth it to go the whole toboggan and get the guitar as well? It looks really nice, but is it worth it for someone who would otherwise only be playing bass because he lacks an electric guitar?

King_Moc

Banned
Put this game out at work and have been staring at it all day. I get a pretty decent discount on it so I think I'll pick it up next week. Is it worth it to go the whole toboggan and get the guitar as well? It looks really nice, but is it worth it for someone who would otherwise only be playing bass because he lacks an electric guitar?

I play bass on it. It's just as in depth as the guitar stuff, so yeah. Though I suppose it's a bit like easy mode in comparison.

Shadybiz

I have a few electrics, will this really teach me chords and how to actually play?

Definitely, yes. It starts you out real easy, and gradually builds in difficulty. If it senses it's getting too hard for you, the game dials itself back in difficulty, so you don't get discouraged. There is also a "Lessons" section that will cover many different techniques used in playing.

I think that one of it's best benefits is that it really improves your dexterity around the fretboard. You can strum chords all day, but this forces you to really get your hand positions, single note picking, etc down.

fred

Have just spent an hour fitting a new nut on my strat lol, filed the nut down too much last time I tried it so was a bit paranoid ;oP

Decided to tell Zavvi to fuck right off this morning and bought a Steam key from some Ozzie company instead. Cost me 3 or 4 quid more but worth it because I can start messing around with Rocksmith 2014 as soon as I've heated up and eaten my Prawn Balti curry.

Xyber

If you like a challenge, but don't want something too crazy, try out Desolate Motion by Karawan.

I leveled up most sections of the song to max, apart from some of the crazier parts and it is a blast to play. Played it 5 times in a row earlier and still wanted to play it more, but was too late for that. :(

Here's a video of that last run, can't wait to go back and improve on a bunch of stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDIwSlVV3eU

gazele

Banned
I remember with the first there were issues with lag and hd TVs, has that been fixed? Is it a big issue?

Would love to put my guitar to good use

Maddog

I remember with the first there were issues with lag and hd TVs, has that been fixed? Is it a big issue?

Would love to put my guitar to good use

They have made a lot of improvements with audio lag however it is still recommended to use a separate audio feed instead of relying on the HDMI one.

baphomet

Im really tempted to buy this just for fun. How do they go about songs using different tuning? I keep my guitar locked in F and hate having to change the tuning. It works out to being in standard Eb not using the F and A# strings. If it expects me to change the tuning for numerous songs it probably isn't worth it for me.

Xyber

Im really tempted to buy this just for fun. How do they go about songs using different tuning? I keep my guitar locked in F and hate having to change the tuning. It works out to being in standard Eb not using the F and A# strings. If it expects me to change the tuning for numerous songs it probably isn't worth it for me.

You need to retune a lot.

Rapstah

Wasn't feeling it until I stopped trying to learn Round And Round and learned The Trooper instead. The game flows a lot better when you're not re-tuning every single time you enter a menu or the jam mode.

Pretty much a straight upgrade from the first game, because while venues were a cool idea, the tradeoff of just having everything from the start (especially all the amps and effects) is totally worth it.

Colby

I guess I can't get the first game's songs if I bought it on 360 and now want to buy 2014 on PC? My 360 is dead, but I want access to those songs...

Top Bottom