• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Starting to get "bonus missions" in rocksmith now. The one I have right now is improve my % in the AiC song to 76.1%. I think its at 72.6% right now. I've been working on the tremolo picking part in Knights Of Cydonia too. Got it "mastered" but still sloppy. I'm also trying to wrap my head around trying to learn the tapping parts to a song called Cold Company. I never put much effort into really learning how to tap so its a challenge. So far I'm liking the setlist. I've never heard a lot of these songs(much like the last game),but have enjoyed what I've played so far.

If I had a group of people that played, I could see score attack becoming addictive too. Like I said earlier, it sprays just enough of a coat of videogame on the charts to make it fun to play like that. This is where they should of put multiplayer in. Lag wouldn't be a problem because you don't need to hear the other dude, just see his chart or use some other kind of visual element. Anyway, I appreciate that they put some more videogame back into this videogame.

Is there not a career mode where you play a set list in a venue?

The closest to that is the nonstop play mode.

Xyber

Starting to get "bonus missions" in rocksmith now. The one I have right now is improve my % in the AiC song to 76.1%. I think its at 72.6% right now. I've been working on the tremolo picking part in Knights Of Cydonia too. Got it "mastered" but still sloppy. I'm also trying to wrap my head around trying to learn the tapping parts to a song called Cold Company. I never put much effort into really learning how to tap so its a challenge. So far I'm liking the setlist. I've never heard a lot of these songs(much like the last game),but have enjoyed what I've played so far.

If I had a group of people that played, I could see score attack becoming addictive too. Like I said earlier, it sprays just enough of a coat of videogame on the charts to make it fun to play like that. This is where they should of put multiplayer in. Lag wouldn't be a problem because you don't need to hear the other dude, just see his chart or use some other kind of visual element. Anyway, I appreciate that they put some more videogame back into this videogame.

I could use more people to compete against in score attack when I dig in to that mode. Anyone who wants someone to compete against can just add me. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Xyberly/

fred

Aw ffs, I've only got past the loading screen ONCE!!!!!

First time I tried playing it I saw the splash screens come and go and then the loading screen came next and just sat there with the pick in the bottom right hand corner pulsating. Left it for 40 minutes lol, then Alt+F4 to quit.

So I uninstalled it and re-installed it and it worked fine after that...just ONCE lol

Next time I tried running it I got stuck at the loading screen again.

Anyone else had this problem and managed to fix it..? Can't believe that Ubisoft released the PC SKU in this state...unbelievable.

Aw ffs, I've only got past the loading screen ONCE!!!!!

First time I tried playing it I saw the splash screens come and go and then the loading screen came next and just sat there with the pick in the bottom right hand corner pulsating. Left it for 40 minutes lol, then Alt+F4 to quit.

So I uninstalled it and re-installed it and it worked fine after that...just ONCE lol

Next time I tried running it I got stuck at the loading screen again.

Anyone else had this problem and managed to fix it..? Can't believe that Ubisoft released the PC SKU in this state...unbelievable.

Do you know if you're using your onboard audio or a pci audio card?
This game doesn't seem to like pci audio cards in general so try setting audio device to your onboard.

Post some details on your pc setup and it might help someone spot something.

Ubi has had a pretty poor pc track record in my experience and I usually avoid now, but I've made an exception for Rocksmith because...Rocksmith.

fred

Onboard soundcard on a Rampage Formula, a quad core Intel Q9550 at stock speed, a Radeon HD 1GB 4870 at stock speed and 8GB of DDR2 (I think, can't remember if it's DDR2 or DDR3)

I'm running Windows Vista X64 Ultimate and everything is up to date including DirectX and drivers.

I've also had Steam check the files and it says everything is dandy. I'm in the process of checking my hard drive just in case there's a problem there.

Dying to get this, but I'm too busy at the moment to pick this up just yet :(

Heads up to anyone who needs a guitar, though: Best Buy is having a sale where you get $50 off a guitar if you buy it with a physical copy of the game. I already have an SG and a strat, but I'd probably jump on one of the Schecters they've got listed. It comes out to $50 + $80 for the game and a new guitar. Better value than the dedicated bundle. Just putting that out there.

Here's the link for anyone who may be interested: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat313700050010&type=category

..Has anyone played ultra soul yet?

Storm360

Here is my Steam Profile if anyone wants to compete (Not that i'll be much competition, i'm completely awful at Guitar, I'm a drummer outside of Rocksmith!), all I ask is can you leave a comment on my profile stating where you are from, otherwise sadly you'll most likely go unaccepted, since I get ALOT of random requests

It may be worth making a RocksmithGAF steam group.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Stormx360/

gazele

Banned
They have made a lot of improvements with audio lag however it is still recommended to use a separate audio feed instead of relying on the HDMI one.

That's good, I don't have a separate sound system so I'm not sure this'll work for me then :-/

Onboard soundcard on a Rampage Formula, a quad core Intel Q9550 at stock speed, a Radeon HD 1GB 4870 at stock speed and 8GB of DDR2 (I think, can't remember if it's DDR2 or DDR3)

I'm running Windows Vista X64 Ultimate and everything is up to date including DirectX and drivers.

I've also had Steam check the files and it says everything is dandy. I'm in the process of checking my hard drive just in case there's a problem there.

No fun :/

My only thought is that you go through and minimize the number of usb and audio devices you have enabled.

I had some issues with hangs until I went through and disabled all recording devices except the rocksmith cable (I usually use a xonar audio card and not my onboard so it was a lot of recording devices).

Might try going into offline mode and disconnecting the internet in case its something with Uplay too.

Good luck.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Just had a hour long jam in session mode. I'm sure I'll find the limitations to what you can do in this mode as I play more, but right now I'm truly impressed.

I recommend zooming out so you can see the whole neck too. I just followed what the game suggested to play and I took it from there.

Finally started playing this and I've already run into an issue. When I went to play Hypnotize, I had to retune. Ok, no problem. Except it says the low E string is at -999 and no matter how much I tighten it that number won't go up.

WTF. I feel like I'll break a string here if I keep tightening it like this.

e: got it. I'm dumb.

^So you uhh... forgot to plug in your guitar? Volume knob all the way down? :)

So here's a problem I've been having. I cannot read the rhythm, especially for chord strumming sections. Is there any cue as to whether it's on an upstrum or a downstrum? 8th, 16th, 32nd note, etc? I can't figure it out. In Rock Band I can really easily read the rhythm. Starting to drive me nuts.

Rapstah

Finally started playing this and I've already run into an issue. When I went to play Hypnotize, I had to retune. Ok, no problem. Except it says the low E string is at -999 and no matter how much I tighten it that number won't go up.

WTF. I feel like I'll break a string here if I keep tightening it like this.

e: got it. I'm dumb.

I think it starts at the high E string when you tune up and at the low E string when you tune down. No idea why.

As I mentioned in the last Rocksmith thread, I originally reserved the bundle and ended up just going to Guitar Center and getting a Epiphone Wildkat, bought Rocksmith 1 from Best Buy for $10 and just bought the standalone Rocksmith 2014 from Amazon. I am in LOVE with Rocksmith. For my musical background, I was in the band from 5th grade to 9th (trombone, baritone, a little trumpet and tuba) and eventually quit. I feel out of love with the band but still loved music. I did have an acoustic Alvarez but gave it away to this girl who was moving away. I always told my wife I wanted to start really learning how to play the guitar and when I saw that Rocksmith 2014 was coming out, I decided to look more deeply into Rocksmith franchise. Even though you will need more outside of the game to be the best guitarist you can be, this game is awesome at teaching you the basics and understanding how to play the instrument. It beats learning how to play hot cross bun or Greensleeves before learning anything that you like. The guitar has always been intimidating to me and even though I have only played with Rocksmith 1 and Rocksmith 2014 for a few days, I can tell my confidence and comfort level is improving.

Xun

I've been looking for the game in store in the UK, but I've not had any luck on a decent price. Any suggestions for where I should try?

I could always get it off of Amazon, but I want the game now. :p

kafiend

I like Rocksmith 2014 a gazillion time more than the old Rocksmith.

But...

There is no way to set it up so that for every single note you play it has suggested finger as there is when chords are played?

Its infuriating working up through a song and realizing when they ramp the difficulty up that it would have been better to have used other fingers on the previous notes.

kafiend

I've been looking for the game in store in the UK, but I've not had any luck on a decent price. Any suggestions for where I should try?

I could always get it off of Amazon, but I want the game now. :p

Get it from a Steam trader.

Short version - buy tf2 keys from Steam Market and exchange them for a gift copy of the game from someone offering it over at http://www.tf2outpost.com/ or similar.

Going rate is about 13keys. Which at current price of keys is around £19.50

We also have a Steam trades thread here on GAF.

NOTE: No USB cable provided when buying directly off Steam!

DrBo42

I like Rocksmith 2014 a gazillion time more than the old Rocksmith.

But...

There is no way to set it up so that for every single note you play it has suggested finger as there is when chords are played?

Its infuriating working up through a song and realizing when they ramp the difficulty up that it would have been better to have used other fingers on the previous notes.
Are you going by the shifting indicators? 4 rows are highlighted at a time, I keep my four fingers across them at all times unless a chord is needed. Seems to work well for individual notes or solos.

XShagrath

The four frets that are "highlighted" underneath the notes are where your four fingers should be. From there, it should be fairly easy to figure out exactly which fingers you should be using to play each single note. This has been a very big help for me in getting me to shift more efficiently than I did in RS1, where I would practically play all single note stuff with my index finger and shift around the fretboard constantly.

Storm360 said:
It may be worth making a RocksmithGAF steam group.

This sounds like a great idea to keep everyone organized. I've never set up a group before, but if no one else tackles this soon, I'll give this a shot.

Suggestions for a name, other than the obvious RocksmithGAF?

Shadybiz

Along with what was suggested, also make sure that your Realtone cable is configured correctly. Go into your sound devices, and under "Recording," make sure the cable is set to 16 bit, 48,000 Hz.

Paint it Black, I WILL master you!

fred

No fun :/

My only thought is that you go through and minimize the number of usb and audio devices you have enabled.

I had some issues with hangs until I went through and disabled all recording devices except the rocksmith cable (I usually use a xonar audio card and not my onboard so it was a lot of recording devices).

Might try going into offline mode and disconnecting the internet in case its something with Uplay too.

Good luck.

Cheers for the help, it started working okay after I checked the hard drive. Bit weird that Steam didn't find a problem with the files though...perhaps it was a problem with my system files somewhere.

Anyway, good to go from now on although I've found an annoying bug that brings you to the opening screen with the 'Press Enter To Continue' prompt instead of returning you to Windows. All I have to do is press Enter and then quit again to go back to Windows properly but it's still a pain in the bum lol.

Storm360

Joined!

Do people in groups show up on your leaderboards, or is it just friends? If it's just friends, I'll probably add everyone to my list to give me some competition and make me strive more to get better.

I'm not sure, I assume the later since it's a console port, I can't imagine them going out the way to implant it, but yeah, just add people from the group.

Meia

Well, I bought it yesterday from BB(PC 2014 bundle), so now I just have to wait to halloween for it to arrive at the store. Played a trumpet for well over a decade, was one of the best in my school, so I have some music background, and am kind of excited to give this a shot.

All the PC problems kind of worry me though. @_@

XShagrath

All the PC problems kind of worry me though. @_@
I haven't really encountered any problems, so maybe I'm lucky?

As with anything, the people with problems are going to be more vocal about it. Therefore, a small problem that affects a minority of the people is going to look like the end of the world.

SHarris78

They have made a lot of improvements with audio lag however it is still recommended to use a separate audio feed instead of relying on the HDMI one.

How would one go about doing this? Is it just a problem when using TV via HDMI or with monitors as well?

I had lag in the first game using a monitor (connected to my pc via HDMI and monitor via HDMI/DVI connector), nothing too bad, but certainly noticeable.

XShagrath

How would one go about doing this? Is it just a problem when using TV via HDMI or with monitors as well?

I had lag in the first game using a monitor (connected to my pc via HDMI and monitor via HDMI/DVI connector), nothing too bad, but certainly noticeable.

It's HDMI audio which screws things up. Connect your PC speakers via analog, and you shouldn't have a problem. Same goes with consoles. Connect the video via HDMI and the audio via optical to your receiver and you shouldn't experience any lag.

Justin

Has anyone seen the PC guitar bundle in a retail store? From looking around it seems that everyone only sells it online.

SHarris78

It's HDMI audio which screws things up. Connect your PC speakers via analog, and you shouldn't have a problem. Same goes with consoles. Connect the video via HDMI and the audio via optical to your receiver and you shouldn't experience any lag.

You'll have to excuse my noobness, but i've never fiddled with audio on my PC in anyway ever! My PC is hooked up to my monitor as described in my earlier post, my stereo speakers are hooked up to my PC via the stereo audio I/O port (its green !). Is my setup analogue?

XShagrath

You'll have to excuse my noobness, but i've never fiddled with audio on my PC in anyway ever! My PC is hooked up to my monitor as described in my earlier post, my stereo speakers are hooked up to my PC via the stereo audio I/O port (its green !). Is my setup analogue?

Yup. You should be good.

SHarris78

Yup. You should be good.

Thanks, thats good to know. I guess they improved the lag from the last game, whenever I played a row of the same notes quickly during a song, the lag was noticeable to the point where i'd end up being one note ahead of the notes on screen.

I hope the other big issue I had with the previous game has also been sorted (the game telling me i'm playing the wrong fret when i'm not!).

Xyber

100.4%, when 100% isn't enough.

0zIa1wa.jpg

DagsJT

"Say It Aint So" just kept saying to tighten my string ... and tighten ... and tighten. Got within 100 of getting it ... and the string snapped. FFS.

fred

Thanks, thats good to know. I guess they improved the lag from the last game, whenever I played a row of the same notes quickly during a song, the lag was noticeable to the point where i'd end up being one note ahead of the notes on screen.

I hope the other big issue I had with the previous game has also been sorted (the game telling me i'm playing the wrong fret when i'm not!).

Yup, they've definitely done some good work sorting out the lag. It's much better. I haven't even had to mess around with the settings or the ini file, it's just worked straight out of the 'box'...the quotes are because I bought it off Steam lol ;oP

I was also having problems with the last game misreading notes, but in my case that was down to my intonation being slightly sharp. I think they may have adjusted the 'give' allowed for note detection so that if your intonation is off by a little bit it's a great deal more forgiving which is great.

Xyber

"Say It Aint So" just kept saying to tighten my string ... and tighten ... and tighten. Got within 100 of getting it ... and the string snapped. FFS.

I think you tuned the wrong string in that case, you are supposed to tune down for that song. :p

Top Bottom