• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

DrBo42

Started playing at 10:30 PM, got tired about 30 minutes ago and said to myself, "I think I'll order a pizza or something..." Then I looked at the clock. Damn you Rocksmith.

SHarris78

Just had a quick go (got to abut 60% on Jeremy by Pearl Jam). I want to slow a section down, but as soon as you exit riff repeater after reducing the speed the song continues to play at full speed. What do you do?

Xyber

Just had a quick go (got to abut 60% on Jeremy by Pearl Jam). I want to slow a section down, but as soon as you exit riff repeater after reducing the speed the song continues to play at full speed. What do you do?

Press space to enter the "real" riff repeater after you have picked a section and slowed it down.

Onemic

I have only played three hours, and the game already throws chords at me. But I still have problems with string and fret positions.

Should I start with the Chords 101 lesson? Or play the minigames until I have "perfected" the string and fret positions.
I am always unsure if I really should learn something new already, or try to master the things the game has already introduced.

Go through the 101 lessons and do the mini games. The lessons in this game are really good this time around

Shadybiz

Man, just played "Hypnotize" for the first time. This song certainly helps you realize how important it is to pay attention to where the game is telling you to put your hand on the neck. When it started to throw the "B" string notes (green) at me, I just thought "you want me to do what??" I played it a second time and really tried to keep an eye on the position indicator. Did a lot better that time, but still quite a bit of room for improvement.

Xyber

I've been hammering away on Desolate Motion, got 2 section left to max out before it's all at max. Got that tapping section down faster than I thought.

83% accuracy in my last playthrough, so still some ways to go. Still need to work on my speed, hard to keep up in some parts, at 90% speed I can hit most of it pretty good.

Man, this new riff repeater makes it so much more fun practicing songs. I couldn't stand all the loading in the first game when jumping between section so I never really bothered with it.

brian

Anyone having trouble conecting to UPlay on Xbox? I wanna play Desolate Motion but I can't connect to the stupid server, ever.

WoolyNinja

Are there any impressions of the Mac client/version anywhere?

The Mac version has a bad graphics bug with some nVidia cards when running on the brand new OS X Mavericks (10.9). They're working on a fix but in the meantime a workaround is to get gfxCardStatus and before you start the game set up gfxCardStatus to only use the integrated graphics card.

Once you get past that bug this game is great and runs perfectly on the Mac. There really are 0 load times, its quite impressive what they've been able to do! And I think the song choices in 2014 are much better overall from the original.

If you're interested in guitar at all, this should be bought for whatever platform you can get it on.

Meia

Ah! Beaten me to it, I was just going to post this myself!

Only taken them 4 days to get that far too, bloody impressive!

Wait. Wait wait wait.

People are coming up with tracks for songs not included in the game? @_@

Also, as I'm not waiting til Thursday on stupid shipping, how is this going to work since I've never even held a guitar really before? How beginner friendly is this exactly? :p

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Can you play this without their USB thing? I have a nice external sound card with instrument inputs, could I use that instead and save some money, or does the USB thing do something special? Can you even buy the game without it?

The Mac version has a bad graphics bug with some nVidia cards when running on the brand new OS X Mavericks (10.9). They're working on a fix but in the meantime a workaround is to get gfxCardStatus and before you start the game set up gfxCardStatus to only use the integrated graphics card.

Once you get past that bug this game is great and runs perfectly on the Mac. There really are 0 load times, its quite impressive what they've been able to do! And I think the song choices in 2014 are much better overall from the original.

If you're interested in guitar at all, this should be bought for whatever platform you can get it on.

Yeah, I'd read about that after posting. I'm on a late-2012 iMac, so gfxCardStatus doesn't do me much good (no integrated card.)

I could get Rocksmith for PS3, but I'd rather get it for my Mac...

But yeah, I'm really interested in learning to play guitar, so I'll probably go to local guitar shop this week and buy my first guitar + order this game from Amazon. If it doesn't work, I'll just wait and start the lessons over at http://www.justinguitar.com, I think.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Shame on me for selling my (cheap) guitar back in the days. If this comes out on PS4, I might take the nosedive and get into it again. If only for using it on remixes and stuff lol.

Onemic

Can you play this without their USB thing? I have a nice external sound card with instrument inputs, could I use that instead and save some money, or does the USB thing do something special? Can you even buy the game without it?

You need it as it connects to your guitar and allows the game to read the notes you play

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You need it as it connects to your guitar and allows the game to read the notes you play

Yes, I know that, but what I'm asking is if it does anything special or if it just gets the guitar sound into the computer. Is the actual analysis of the notes you play done by the software, or does the USB thing have anything to do with that beyond acting as an audio input? If it's done completely by the software any audio input should work. And as I said, I have an external sound card with instrument inputs.

EDIT: Ok, after Googling a bit it seems like only the USB dongle is supported. A shame, there's no real reason for that to be the case. Guess it's an anti-piracy measure more than anything else.

You mean your sound card has MIDI inputs? That won't do anything with a normal electric guitar. And how do you know the cable is just antipiracy and nothing else? It has to convert the sound from the guitar from analogue to digital in a format the game can use, without requiring tons of customer support from people trying to use their own things.

fred

Wait. Wait wait wait.

Also, as I'm not waiting til Thursday on stupid shipping, how is this going to work since I've never even held a guitar really before? How beginner friendly is this exactly? :p

Yup, people will be doing custom DLC for it at some point. There's over two thousand custom songs for Rocksmith 1, but they won't be compatible with Rocksmith 2014. Still, it won't take long for the songs to come in for Rocksmith 2014 once the brainboxes have worked it all out.

It's very beginner friendly, shows you how to hold the guitar, how to hold the pick all the way up to double finger tapping, scales and modes etc.

elfinke

As mentioned before, I'd never held a guitar until a week or two ago either. I picked this up for PC and have been having a blast. It's been a real thrill noticing how rapidly my muscle memory has built up just day-to-day.

Some things that would stump me one evening (like the practice track for hammer-ons and pull-offs) I complete with minimal fuss the following day.

Even really basic skills, like moving your fretting hand neatly around the board, has come along leaps and bounds in the last few days.

It's incredibly satisfying!

Xyber

Wait. Wait wait wait.

Yes, I have been making songs for the first game for quite some time. Got a playlist with songs I've made and playthrough of other peoples songs here. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCYDGJ5k8ycuorgjwYCj5_A_NQTVdJVZH

And on the lower difficulties, the game is really easy to get into. If you think it levels you up too fast you can always lower the difficulty really easy now as well.

Xyber

Nice work (on both the creation and the playing)! I haven't had a close look at the anvil site for custom songs, but can you tell me if any/many RATM songs made it into the original Rocksmith?

Only 5 of them at the moment.

Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack
Rage Against The Machine - Bulls on Parade
Rage Against The Machine - Guerrilla Radio
Rage Against The Machine - How I Could Just Kill A Man
Rage Against the Machine - Take The Power Back

King_Moc

Banned
I'm trying to get through the Slides 101B lesson on bass on PC but it just isn't recognising what i'm doing. I'm at the bit where you need to slide from 7 on E down to 3, but it just doesn't recognise that i'm doing it. Anyone come across anything similar?

elfinke

Only 5 of them at the moment.

Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack
Rage Against The Machine - Bulls on Parade
Rage Against The Machine - Guerrilla Radio
Rage Against The Machine - How I Could Just Kill A Man
Rage Against The Machine - Take The Power Back

Thanks to you both. Just need Know Your Enemy and I'm set!

Also, holy crap at the amount of custom stuff. That's a deep rabbit hole I'll have to go down once I can, you know, actually play guitar.

Yiyas

Neo Member
Go through the 101 lessons and do the mini games. The lessons in this game are really good this time around

I spent a few more hours with the game, and I have to say: lessons are really comprehensible (even for a total beginner).

But I need to practice a lot more! Every time the game decides to alter the difficulty a bit, I can no longer find the right strings and fret positions :p

papercut

I'm buying this for PC. I've never played the original, so I have two questions:

1. If I want the songs in the first game, do I have to buy the game and pay the $10 import fee to get them? Will I have to play the first game unlock the songs or something, or will everything (except for the few songs that can't be imported) just show up in the new game?

2. Can I buy the DLC songs for the first game straight into the new game?

Thanks!

Storm360

I'm buying this for PC. I've never played the original, so I have two questions:

1. If I want the songs in the first game, do I have to buy the game and pay the $10 import fee to get them? Will I have to play the first game unlock the songs or something, or will everything (except for the few songs that can't be imported) just show up in the new game?

2. Can I buy the DLC songs for the first game straight into the new game?

Thanks!

1. You have to buy the first, then buy the export option from steam (it's on the 2014 store page)

2. You can in the future, there's currently a small issue that steam is preventing the people that don't own the first from buying that DLC, although apparently Ubisoft are working on a fix

You mean your sound card has MIDI inputs? That won't do anything with a normal electric guitar. And how do you know the cable is just antipiracy and nothing else? It has to convert the sound from the guitar from analogue to digital in a format the game can use, without requiring tons of customer support from people trying to use their own things.

People have figured out how to use a different cable by spoofing the ID info from the official cable, or some such wizardry, so yeah, the cable is basically DRM. However, I don't fault Ubi for doing that since supporting multiple hardware configurations is rough enough and adding unknown quality cables into the mix (particularly such a niche product) is asking for QA hell.

Yes, I have been making songs for the first game for quite some time. Got a playlist with songs I've made and playthrough of other peoples songs here. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCYDGJ5k8ycuorgjwYCj5_A_NQTVdJVZH

And on the lower difficulties, the game is really easy to get into. If you think it levels you up too fast you can always lower the difficulty really easy now as well.

Dude, that's way awesome!
I better go pick up a copy of the old Rocksmith on PC before this one, then!

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Well, yes, it does have MIDI in/out, but that's not what I'm talking about. Obviously that won't take analog guitar input. I'm saying my sound card, which I use for recording music, has 1/4" inputs, so I can plug a guitar right into it.

And after googling a bit I found out that people wrote patches for the original Rocksmith to let you use any audio interface in place of the proprietary cable. So it's obviously possible, they just don't want you to do it.

And yes, having a simple USB solution that just works is great for people who don't know how audio input stuff really works, but again, that's really no good reason to not allow advanced users to use their own stuff. Hide it in some advanced settings section of the game, or whatever. So yeah, this is most likely a piracy prevention measure more than anything.

I finally got this, I went PC version this time (for a myriad of reasons that really mean nothing to anyone other than me). Can't wait for work to be over so I can get into it.

DagsJT

Took my guitar to a shop to get a new string and have it tuned and setup properly. It's made a pretty big difference and the sound is so much better now, even with regards to Rocksmith where there used to be a lot of buzz and feedback but now it's great.

DagsJT

Struggling to do harmonics, just not getting it at all :/

Edit: Turned the volume up on the guitar and much better.

I was already enjoying the game but since getting my guitar sorted out, it really does sound so much better and the game has probably doubled my enjoyment now as the notes I'm playing actually sound like they're supposed to :D

Struggling to do harmonics, just not getting it at all :/

Edit: Turned the volume up on the guitar and much better.

I was already enjoying the game but since getting my guitar sorted out, it really does sound so much better and the game has probably doubled my enjoyment now as the notes I'm playing actually sound like they're supposed to :D

Make sure you use your bridge pickup as well. It usually makes harmonics sound a lot better, while making them easier to hit.

Waiting for the Real Tone cable to arrive and them I'm all in! I've played guitar for over a decade, but I'm looking forward to the Jam Session mode on this!

elfinke

Quick query (it's been kinda mentioned here plus the cesspool of the Steam forums):

Some/most of the DLC for the original Rocksmith is forwards compatible with RS2014, right? However, you cannot purchase said DLC on Steam unless you already own the original Rocksmith on Steam? Is this just an annoying idiosyncrasy of Steam that Ubi need to work out a fix for?

I wanna play Nickelback, dammit.

lol

No but really, I wanna be a rockstar

Quick query (it's been kinda mentioned here plus the cesspool of the Steam forums):

Some/most of the DLC for the original Rocksmith is forwards compatible with RS2014, right? However, you cannot purchase said DLC on Steam unless you already own the original Rocksmith on Steam? Is this just an annoying idiosyncrasy of Steam that Ubi need to work out a fix for?

I wanna play Nickelback, dammit.

lol

No but really, I wanna be a rockstar
Something needs to be changed so that the RB1 DLC shows up on the 2014 Steam Store page. Presumably this will be fixed soon.

Gustav

Banned
Guitar sound has a serious lag for me. It seems like the game registers the sound as I play the guitar, but output seems delayed. Everything else seems fine. All other I game sounds seem to be okay (did the latency checker in options). Running the whole shebang through HDMI on a PC.

DrBo42

Guitar sound has a serious lag for me. It seems like the game registers the sound as I play the guitar, but output seems delayed. Everything else seems fine. All other I game sounds seem to be okay (did the latency checker in options). Running the whole shebang through HDMI on a PC.

So your note is delayed through your speakers? Are you running the game, speakers, and cable in exclusivity mode?

Top Bottom