• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is up on US Netflix

Why is it bad? I mean I get if you don't like it but it's literally the opposite of a "bad" movie.

It's mostly the bad characters. They have so little development that they are paper thin. Their dynamics between the characters were pretty sparse, as well. It's hard to get emotionally invested with them because they don't feel like people. I don't feel as if they would die for each other.

Wolfe

It's mostly the bad characters. They have so little development that they are paper thin. Their dynamics between the characters were pretty sparse, as well. It's hard to get emotionally invested with them because they don't feel like people. I don't feel as if they would die for each other.

For me they had just enough development to get an idea of their personality and form an emotional bond with (even if small). They definitely feel like people but "don't feel as if they would die for each other" seemed like part of the point. It's a rag tag team of people that basically just met each other recently, they're forced to trust each other and make decisions about each other based off of very little info given they've had so few interactions before the final conflict comes up.

But in the end that's me and I can definitely understand why someone might feel the way you do about the same things that I didn't have problems with. Appreciate the break down, my biggest peeve is going into threads like these, wanting to discuss, and seeing posts say things like "ugh this movie is bad" and then nothing else. Even if I don't agree, I still enjoy reading/hearing why someone feels the way they do about something especially if it's contrast to the way I feel about it.

That's really the main problem with Rogue One, it never takes any time to develop any of the relationships between the characters, so they all feel flat and boring. They hardly spend any time with each other, talking and learning about one another, so you end up barely knowing them and barely caring about them.

The planet jumping in the beginning didn't bother me so much as it's just a backdrop for gathering the "crew" and the places themselves aren't the important pieces to those scenes (imo). The relationships part I will definitely give you though, even if it was good enough for me given the context of the movie, I won't deny that a lot of it was pretty bare bones.

Maybe we're looking at it the wrong way and the real main character is the DS plans, in which case it was a happy ending! :p Appreciate the long form breakdown though, was nice being able to pick your brain on why you held those opinions :)

For me they had just enough development to get an idea of their personality and form an emotional bond with (even if small). They definitely feel like people but "don't feel as if they would die for each other" seemed like part of the point. It's a rag tag team of people that basically just met each other recently, they're forced to trust each other and make decisions about each other based off of very little info given they've had so few interactions before the final conflict comes up.

I don't think they had enough to form an emotional bond with each other. I can see it with Jyn and Cassian. I can see it with Baze and Chirrut. But I don't see it with Jyn and the pilot or Cassian and Chirrut. They mostly just stayed in their established relationships. It doesn't matter that they are a rag-tag group of people who just met. The drama is supposed to come out of them having group conflicts and learning to trust each other, but none of that is in the film. They're all pretty buddy-buddy pretty quickly.

Top Bottom