• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story |OT| They rebel - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syncytia

I've seen the original films only once, had no idea who Peter Cushing is or that he died. When Tarkin appeared in Rogue One I noticed instantly that he was CGI. Funny thing is, I did know Leia was put in the film so I was worried her CGI would look super fake as well, but when she appeared I couldn't believe I was looking at computer graphics. Leia looked super real to me.

I had the same experience, it was really weird. Might be because Leia had less screen time/facial expressions though. I couldn't help but just examine every detail of Tarkin... before seeing the movie I only knew that Leia and someone else were CG. Once he showed up it was super obvious to me.

I thought what they did was just use a lookalike and fix up his face with CGI so he looks even more like Tarkin. Him being fully CGI is actually more impressive than what I thought, and he looked way better than the Leia model at the end, too.

That said, though, there's no way they could have used the original actor, even if he was still alive. He was already pretty old in A New Hope, and it's been like 40 years since. He'd be geriatric.

Tarkin wasn't fully CG. Guy Henry played him. The shot from behind Leia was Ingvild Deila, but the final shot was CG apart from her hand.

rogue_one_guy_henry_performance_capture_2048.jpg

majik13

Tarkin looked pretty good in about 40% of his shots. But others there was definitely an uncanny valley, something really hard to put your finger on. But I think it was mostly the animation. I wonder how much or if at all animators added additional animation on top of the in scene facial capture.
I wonder if perhaps for a last minute dialog change or for additional scenes added in post, that some shots had to be fully or mostly hand animated, because they didnt have time to reshoot?

I think Liea looked ok, maybe could have benefited if she wasn't so close to camera.

Nev

Banned
This is one of the worst blockbuster movies I've seen in many years and definitely the worst Star Wars movie along with Episode II.

This move is BAD. I mean, like, holy shit this was absolutely terrible.

Where are the characters? Am I supposed to care about this absolute joke of a main character? She has literally no more depth than Captain Boomerang in Suicide Squad. She is nothing. It doesn't help that the actress is embarrassing. The other characters are also non-existent. Some cliche mystical blind monk dude, a few paper thin sidekicks and a whatever Han Solo.

What about Forest Whitaker's character? He was heavily featured in promos, he's a good actor and his character looks cool. Well, too bad he has 5 min of irrelevant screentime. I genuinely think this was some kind of joke and one of the worst offenders in this mess of a by-product.

The only half-decent character was the hypercliched bad guy, so go figure. Darth Vader was there for the easy, unrewarding fan service, nothing more. Leia's CGI was as unnecessary as it was uncanny. I didn't care at all for any of the characters. It doesn't matter how loud you play the dramatic –and overused– music when the father of whatsherface-Kin-Grog-Et dies, I still don't care about him or her zero development daughter.

The movie is a complete slog, it's like they had a decent –despite obvious and more than played-out– third act and thought: how can we get here? Meh whatever, just throw some random scenes in and put them together somehow. And that's how we got this unnecessarily convoluted planet-trotting mess with non-characters and absolutely zero stakes or tension.

All in all a goddamn awful and unredeemable movie. It's the one and only time I get baited into a Star Wars spin-off. It was so insultingly terrible that it made me rethink going to the teather for EP8.

I mean I feel bad for Star Wars fanboys that think this franchise is the best thing ever and the prequels are cancer. They have to put up with this kind of trash and accept it's a good movie because Disney made the critics say so, and at the same time they have to perpetuate the notion of "everything about the prequels was trash".

Episode I and III are absolutely better than this to me. No doubt whatsoever. At least they had actual characters –as poorly written as they can be at times– and the OST and fights redeemed whatever mistakes they had. The third act of Ep 3 is better than the whole Rogue One movie. Episode 7 was alright, but this? Holy crap.

Jesus, it was truly awful. And this has double the score in RT than BvS and SS? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha alright. Thank god I watched Deadpool yesterday, otherwise I would have lost hope for the so-called blockbuster big hitters already. Stop hiring Felicity Jones for ANYTHING acting related.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Most of the characters just weren't that compelling.

Forest Whitaker's character didn't really have a purpose.
I don't know why people keep saying that.

His purpose was not only to show that the rebels were not as united as we might have thought (and that fanatical, morally sketchy rebels exist), but plot-wise he validated (via, again, morally dubious gross alien probing) the defecting pilot's message. He was also visually memorable and had a good stage presence. He didn't get that much screen time but that doesn't mean his character had no purpose.

Nev

Banned
this gave you away

Gave away what? That I think BvS is definitely not a 28% (or whatever) movie? Yeah definitely. Ignore that I like other Star Wars movies, Marvel movies and love Disney animated movies because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Must be fun living in a bubble. Keep it up.

Auctopus

how the ignore poster works? do you see the post but is blurred like that black mirror episode? hahaha

You see their name and avatar but it says "this user is on your ignore list". However, you can see their posts if they're quoted by another user seeing as all the second user is posting is BB code.

Its great.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
how the ignore poster works? do you see the post but is blurred like that black mirror episode? hahaha
lol, it shows there's a post, but says, "This message is hidden because <username> is on your ignore list.", and a button to remove from list or show the post if you decide to change your mind.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
This is one of the worst blockbuster movies I've seen in many years and definitely the worst Star Wars movie along with Episode II.

Where are the characters? Am I supposed to care about this absolute joke of a main character? She has literally no more depth than Captain Boomerang in Suicide Squad. She is nothing. It doesn't help that the actress is embarrassing. The other characters are also non-existent. Some cliche mystical blind monk dude, a few paper thin sidekicks and a whatever Han Solo.

What about Forest Whitaker's character? He was heavily featured in promos, he's a good actor and his character looks cool. Well, too bad he has 5 min of irrelevant screentime. I genuinely think this was some kind of joke and one of the worst offenders in this mess of a by-product.

The only half-decent character was the hypercliched bad guy, so go figure. Darth Vader was there for the easy, unrewarding fan service, nothing more. Leia's CGI was as unnecessary as it was uncanny. I didn't care at all for any of the characters. It doesn't matter how loud you play the dramatic –and overused– music when the father of whatsherface-Kin-Grog-Et dies, I still don't care about him or her zero development daughter.

The movie is a complete slog, it's like they had a decent –despite obvious and more than played-out– third act and thought: how can we get here? Meh whatever, just throw some random scenes in and put them together somehow. And that's how we got this unnecessarily convoluted planet-trotting mess with non-characters and absolutely zero stakes or tension.

All in all a goddamn awful and unredeemable movie. It's the one and only time I get baited into a Star Wars spin-off. It was so insultingly terrible that it made me rethink going to the teather for EP8.

I mean I feel bad for Star Wars fanboys that think this franchise is the best thing ever and the prequels are cancer. They have to put up with this kind of trash and accept it's a good movie because Disney made the critics say so, and at the same time they have to perpetuate the notion of "everything about the prequels was trash".

Episode I and III are absolutely better than this to me. No doubt whatsoever. At least they had actual characters –as poorly written as they can be at times– and the OST and fights redeemed whatever mistakes they had. The third act of Ep 3 is better than the whole Rogue One movie. Episode 7 was alright, but this? Holy crap.

Jesus, it was truly awful. And this has double the score in RT than BvS and SS? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha alright. Thank god I watched Deadpool yesterday, otherwise I would have lost hope for the so-called blockbuster big hitters already. Stop hiring Felicity Jones for ANYTHING acting related.

I know you have to maintain your reputation as one of the worst posters on gaf, but does it not get tiring? Do you whine on like this in real life?

Bolivar687

Banned
Other than the BvS comment, the points in Nev's post have been repeated many times throughout this thread. There's nothing wrong with criticism, we can engage the substance of eachother's opinions, we don't have to talk about what a terrible poster they are and foster a side conversation about ignoring them for humiliation purposes.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Other than the BvS comment, the points in Nev's post have been repeated many times throughout this thread. There's nothing wrong with criticism, we can engage the substance of eachother's opinions, we don't have to talk about what a terrible poster they are and foster a side conversation about ignoring them for humiliation purposes.

It's not the opinion of the movie, it's the awful hyperbolic posts he makes in every thread. It's always 'absolute garbage', 'worst thing ever' etc. Like, who would ever want to converse with someone who goes on like this?

That was an awesome movie. One of the rare blockbusters that gets better as it goes. The only thing that bugged me were the awful cg cartoon people.

Not a huge star wars fan, having only seen the prequel trilogy, some of force awakens, and I think the first one. I saw this the other night, and loved it. Got me on a star wars kick real quick, gonna finish force awakens and watch any thing else i missed.

Absolutely loved the music in this.

Surfinn

Not a huge star wars fan, having only seen the prequel trilogy, some of force awakens, and I think the first one. I saw this the other night, and loved it. Got me on a star wars kick real quick, gonna finish force awakens and watch any thing else i missed.

Absolutely loved the music in this.

You should watch the original trilogy.

Jacce

Banned
I mean I feel bad for Star Wars fanboys that think this franchise is the best thing ever and the prequels are cancer. They have to put up with this kind of trash and accept it's a good movie because Disney made the critics say so.
Disney bribed critics?

SpaceWolf

Banned
That's cool. I thought his scenes with Jyn were pretty damn good for what they were. I like his "you're not the only one who has lost everything" conversation with her. Thought it was one of the strongest moments in the film.

His accent gives him a lot of personality. Glad he kept it in the film.

Reminds me of someone who was complaining earlier in this thread that not enough characters in the film had American accents and that Star Wars was supposed to be an American story that was betraying its cultural roots.

Nah, brother. Nah.

Surfinn

Reminds me of someone who was complaining earlier in this thread that not enough characters in the film had American accents and that Star Wars was supposed to be an American story that was betraying its cultural roots.

Nah, brother. Nah.

It's silly when you think about all of the dialects and languages in the SW universe. Half the time we need subtitles to even understand humans/droids/aliens. Ridiculous to just assume that people are always going to have American accents.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

This post is god damn doodoo.

Blader

Gave away what? That I think BvS is definitely not a 28% (or whatever) movie? Yeah definitely. Ignore that I like other Star Wars movies, Marvel movies and love Disney animated movies because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Must be fun living in a bubble. Keep it up.

Casual reminder once again that that is NOT what RT percentages mean.

Surfinn

Episode I and III are absolutely better than this to me. No doubt whatsoever. At least they had actual characters &#8211;as poorly written as they can be at times&#8211; and the OST and fights redeemed whatever mistakes they had. The third act of Ep 3 is better than the whole Rogue One movie. Episode 7 was alright, but this? Holy crap.

I think you need to rewatch the prequels dude. As much as I agree with some of your criticism here (however hyperbolic it may be) about R1, the third act of EP3 is a fucking joke.

My GF and I rewatched the end of ROTS a few days ago because we had originally both agreed that it was good, and fucking YIKES. The emperor is a comedy show and we couldn't help but laugh hysterically at his antics/delivery. We're talking approaching The Room levels of cringe, regardless of if Ian is on screen or not. The entire scene of him becoming Darth Vader couldn't be more of a joke. Anakin and Padme are shitty cardboard cutouts despite who they're supposed to be.

As much as I think R1 was sort of bland and forgettable in some respects, you're completely deluded if you think any of the PT are better.

Watch them again. They look like shitty videogame cutscenes in regard to the quality of acting/writing and visual fidelity/believability. I didn't realized just how badly they've aged until I saw them recently.

I think seeing TFA and R1 have already aged the PT significantly, considering the way we're being conditioned to new SW films of much higher quality.

Someone should show this to the RLM dipshits.

Tried watching their TFA review.. don't think I'll be returning to their channel ever again. Have no idea what they say about R1.

horkrux

I know you have to maintain your reputation as one of the worst posters on gaf, but does it not get tiring? Do you whine on like this in real life?

This post is god damn doodoo.

I actually find myself agreeing with a lot of points in that posting.

This was the first Star Wars movie trying to break free from the formula and they fucked it up so tremendously that I'm even starting to question whether such a Star Wars movie is actually a good idea at all.

I think you need to rewatch the prequels dude. As much as I agree with some of your criticism here (however hyperbolic it may be) about R1, the third act of EP3 is a fucking joke.

My GF and I rewatched the end of ROTS a few days ago because we had originally both agreed that it was good, and fucking YIKES. The emperor is a comedy show and we couldn't help but laugh hysterically at his antics/delivery. We're talking approaching The Room levels of cringe, regardless of if Ian is on screen or not. The entire scene of him becoming Darth Vader couldn't be more of a joke. Anakin and Padme are shitty cardboard cutouts despite who they're supposed to be.

As much as I think R1 was sort of bland and forgettable in some respects, you're completely deluded if you think any of the PT are better.

Watch them again. They look like shitty videogame cutscenes in regard to the quality of acting/writing and visual fidelity/believability. I didn't realized just how badly they've aged until I saw them recently.

I think seeing TFA and R1 have already aged the PT significantly, considering the way we're being conditioned to new SW films of much higher quality.

Tried watching their TFA review.. don't think I'll be returning to their channel ever again. Have no idea what they say about R1.

I can't agree with this at all. I've watched all six movies again a few months ago (maybe you should watch more than the ending) and the prequels were nowhere near as bad as people made them out to be. Ep3 is a legit good movie, better than TFA and especially R1 could ever hope to be.

TFA in particular was just straight-up unbelievable, so much that it was downright insulting. Even if you look over the fact that they couldn't come up with anything original in the story, the plot is advancing in such a random and convenient manner that none of this shouldn't have happened the way it did.
R1 on the other managed at least that (I paid great attention to it, because TFA got me burned on this), but everything except for the last battle was just a large slog with characters I didn't give a shit about. Except for the droid. He had his moments. I was surprised how many times the movie felt like a bad, noname sci-fi movie, because nothing was going on and it didn't even feel like Star Wars anymore.

Say what you will about the prequels and that you didn't like the acting, at least they tried to actually expand the universe in a meaningful manner and I could enjoy every one of them, even if most of them weren't even nearly as good as the old movies.

Jag

Didn't realize it at first, but the entire movie was based on the ANH opening crawl. Pretty amazing. I always felt like we stepped in years into the active civil war,(obviously people have been rebelling for at least 20 years). In reality it was the opening shots really.

Episode IV: A NEW HOPE

"It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy...."

Supposedly Lucas wrote a much bigger opening crawl, but it was substantially cut down.

Surfinn

I actually find myself agreeing with a lot of points in that posting.

This was the first Star Wars movie trying to break free from the formula and they fucked it up so tremendously that I'm even starting to question whether such a Star Wars movie is actually a good idea at all.

I can't agree with this at all. I've watched all six movies again a few months ago (maybe you should watch more than the ending) and the prequels were nowhere near as bad as people made them out to be. Ep3 is a legit good movie, better than TFA and especially R1 could ever hope to be.

TFA in particular was just straight-up unbelievable, so much that it was downright insulting. Even if you look over the fact that they couldn't come up with anything original in the story, the plot is advancing in such a random and convenient manner that none of this shouldn't have happened the way it did.
R1 on the other managed at least that (I paid great attention to it, because TFA got me burned on this), but everything except for the last battle was just a large slog with characters I didn't give a shit about. Except for the droid. He had his moments. I was surprised how many times the movie felt like a bad, noname sci-fi movie, because nothing was going on and it didn't even feel like Star Wars anymore.

Say what you will about the prequels and that you didn't like the acting, at least they tried to actually expand the universe in a meaningful manner and I could enjoy every one of them, even if most of them weren't even nearly as good as the old movies.

I've seen all the PT probably a dozen times each if not more. I didn't realize just how bad they are until I saw the last two films. I've seen them in their entirety as recently as months ago, so no, I don't need to watch them all again. I just realized how unbelievably shitty they are when something even remotely decent comes about in the SW universe.

Tried to expand in a meaningful manner? They butchered everything good the OT stood for in terms of mythological wonder and relatability.

Even if you take away the shitty acting, you're left with an empty shell of a trilogy that should have been which actually detracts from the SW experience.

But to each their own of course, we can agree to disagree. Big time.

Seriously, watch the scene with Sidious converting Anakin into Vader and tell me it's good. That's one of the most defining moments in the entire SW saga and it's a complete fucking joke in terms of acting and direction (I love Ian McDiarmid but his comical antics destroy any seriousness and actually push the film into "it's so bad it's good" territory). But that's the theme of EP3, isn't it.. failing to deliver on big moments.

That's one of the most defining moments in the entire SW saga and it's a complete fucking joke in terms of acting and direction (I love Ian McDiarmid but his comical antics destroy any seriousness and actually push the film into "it's so bad it's good" territory).

McDiarmid's cheesy howl of "Unlimited Power" during his mutation or whatever is so silly. I'm constantly bemused by people that proclaim III is a good film. It's the same crap as the other two, only with a horrible Frankenstein homage tacked onto it. And there is no weight behind Anakin's change at all. Same with Order 66...there's no weight to it because nobody gave a crap about these completely random Jedi that get slaughtered like brain dead sheep. Gah, I hate the prequels so much. They're tripe.

Still trying to figure why they cast Forest Whittaker in that role. It's overacted...and every time I see him I saw ...Forest Whitaker in weird makeup.

Not to keep bringing up Battlefield Earth...but ...well...

I think his casting, the casting of the main antagonist...and the main bad guy from Casino Royale really ruined the film for me.

I'd have rather they picked unknowns for those 3 roles...and I would have probably enjoyed the film more.

6 out of 10.

gimmmick

Finally saw the film today after week of putting it off. Had no expectations going into the film, because at the end of the day it was a spin off and not apart of the trilogy.

Best parts of the film

Action
Musical score
K-2SO

The main characters were forgettable, I knew the story arch and what was going to be. Overall it was a solid effort and an enjoyable blockbuster. What more do you want when we all the knew of the reports of production not going so well for disney in the spring /summer time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom