• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story |OT| They rebel - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was talking about the digital de-aging and re-creation this weekend on twitter, and while I know I can't really speak to the technical aspects of why things do or don't work very well, I think I can at least point out some directorial decisions that might have at least contributed to why the effects didn't quite work the way they were intended, because it seems to me like the work itself was very, very, very good, but the ways in which the filmmakers chose to implement that work is what caused the disconnect.

So, here's the CG model for Princess Leia:

C8V5Oh9UIAELZxH.jpg

That work is pretty damned amazing. "But of course it looks good! It doesn't have to move. It just has to sit there and look like the still of Carrie Fisher from 1977 in the upper right!" Well, yeah. But even getting the fully CG model to so closely replicate that still to the point it's almost indistinguishable (and for a ton of people, it is, is still a pretty amazing feat.

But yeah, the problem is that once the mouth starts moving, the effect's believability starts to suffer—fast:

C8V5tRrVoAEelYc.jpg

Now, I don't know if that's a case of them not having enough time & money to get the de-aging down, or if it's a case of them having too much time and they just over-tweaked the thing until they wound up with a face that frame-by-frame looked right, but in motion read as very wrong. No clue. But I can tell you that somewhere between that model looking spot-on, and that model being made to say the word "Hope," something went awry.

And I think what went awry were two things, and both of them were directorial in nature, not technical.

(1) The decision to show her at all breaks continuity

This doesn't make much sense considering the whole point of her being there is because Rogue One appears to be a film that was made with one eye, at all times, on the notion that you're supposed to watch it directly before Star Wars. Yes, audiences could just accept the hard fact of this film having been made 40 years after the film it is immediately preceding, but everyone involved decided to try as best they could to make it match as seamlessly as possible.

Since that's the case: Deciding to show her at all breaks continuity. Because George Lucas obviously wanted to hide her identity until after she'd given the plans to Artoo. She's on the ship, but we don't know who she is yet. All the shots are selected carefully and arranged just so, in a way so Leia's "reveal" is meant to be the steely-eyed, determined young girl with a gun in her hand who isn't going to take any shit.

Now, the first time we see her is this:

C8V6LC_UIAAxvaN.jpg

Which brings us to (2) Leia is out of character

Now, not only are we seeing her, but the direction here doesn't make sense for either Rogue One, or Star Wars. Why is she so full of starry-eyed hope? How does that make sense for her character, especially at that moment? Immediately leaving the Battle of Scarif, and right before Vader personally snaps the neck of her captain and takes her hostage after getting shot, we get a moment of her doing this 100% idealistic, soft-focus, sadly happy reaction to getting the plans?

It doesn't make any sense, really. The emotion we're seeing Leia try to pull off there is an emotion Leia almost never shows in any of the films, and especially not in moments like that. Which might be helping with that uncanny valley vibe of the animation a lot (i.e. "why... why is she so happy here?") as well as making it harder to animate her face convincingly in the amount of time they had. If she's determined, or focused, or even slightly angry at what the Empire's just done, maybe that line plays better, and maybe that emotion is easier to essay in the few seconds she's onscreen.

It's not really a matter of the work being bad. The work is good. The way the VFX team was directed to use it sorta sabotaged 'em, I think. Same thing happened with Tarkin - that model's been posted in here already, and again - it's a great model. They put in a ton of work to make that effect believable, and most of the time, it shows.

an1-274066.jpg

peter-cushing-star-wars-grand-moff-tarkin.jpg

But as per this IndieWire article, you realize that what they were being asked to do with the effect (and how they were asked to do it) sorta diminished the best possible applications of it: Tarkin looked perfect under specific lighting, but they didn't manipulate the lighting on the Death Star scenes in post to allow for that effect to work correctly. Henry's performance was great, but because his mouth movements weren't 100% like Cushing's were, they went in and hand-animated the mouth. Did they overwork it? Did adhering to 100% frame-by-frame fidelity to a dead man's movements (a fidelity maybe 0.0001% of the audience would even notice) cause uncanny valley instead of mitigating it? Who knows.

They probably coulda never showed Leia's face and just put some makeup on Guy Henry and called it a day, really. Maybe they shoulda. Guy Henry looks like Peter Cushing enough that it wouldn't have to be that weird fright-mask they slapped on for Episode III. And considering the film features a completely different actress playing a Mon Mothma set something like 3-4 years before Return of the Jedi, audiences probably would have accepted a completely different actor playing Tarkin set the week before Star Wars.

Anyway: the VFX work is great. It's not bad. I don't see how you could call it that. It's pretty damned amazing. But maybe the direction didn't help it as much as it could have.

I think it would have been way more powerful to have Princess Leia not speak or turn around at all. Don't even need the CGI all you need is that shot of her with her back to the camera to land the moment.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I think it would have been way more powerful to have Princess Leia not speak or turn around at all. Don't even need the CGI all you need is that shot of her with her back to the camera to land the moment.

Yeah, use her voice for the hope line with her back to the camera, then the corvette goes to hyperspace.

No.

And despite the placebo effect some fans are swearing to, nobody involved retouched anything for home video, either. The VFX work is the exact same as it was in theaters.

I still don't have a problem with the effects but they looked exactly the same to me and I still think they're really impressive.

Surfinn

The CGI characters don't look bad on video. I actually thought they looked a little better since I'm not staring at Tarkin's nose hairs on an IMAX screen.

Interesting point about R1 messing with the mystery surrounding Leia in the beginning of ANH. Never thought about that and I watched it straight into EP4 one day.

Sure, the continuity is a little finicky. But her appearance in R1 was written for people who had been familiar with her for 40 years.

Valid criticism but it's something that doesn't cross the minds of the vast majority of viewers I think.

I do wonder if they're gonna touch up the VFX years from now.

You'd think they would but I'm also unsure they'd even have the time/resources. When you're only turning out one movie every three years and then taking decade-long breaks between films, it's probably easier to allocate resources to post-production touchups long after the fact.

When you're turning out a movie a year, every year, for the next 10-15 years, the people you might assign to that sort of project are probably going to be tied up.

I don't think Star Wars is going to be in the "Special Edition" business for quite awhile.

I totally thought they were gonna do that, was surprised when they showed her face, but they did a pretty good job. But yeah, they didn't really need to, even for the people who might not remember the old movies enough to figure out it was her, just showing her hair would've been more than enough, basically a shot from the back slightly tilted to one side.

Sorcerer

You'd think they would but I'm also unsure they'd even have the time/resources. When you're only turning out one movie every three years and then taking decade-long breaks between films, it's probably easier to allocate resources to post-production touchups long after the fact.

When you're turning out a movie a year, every year, for the next 10-15 years, the people you might assign to that sort of project are probably going to be tied up.

I don't think Star Wars is going to be in the "Special Edition" business for quite awhile.

Also it would be complete overkill and probably seen as greedy double dipping at the rate they are going. At this rate you see the current movie and know the next one is lined up next year, not much to reflect on or want for. Not like it was in the 70's and you were left with such anticipation for 3 years.

good post

I think you are right about the weird cg people being as much about the directorial decisions as the tech. I said it after watching it in theaters, and I'll say it again after watching it on Blu-ray: when animated Leia closes out the movie by turning to the camera and saying 'hope' it reminds me of Porky Pig going 'that's all folks!' It's such an in-your-face moment, and it only serves to draw your attention to the tech. If they were going to go the cg route it would have been more effective to have her visible through a window and talking over a radio or something. Having her exclaim at the screen in a brightly-lit room is just too much.

Also it would be complete overkill and probably seen as greedy double dipping at the rate they are going.

Well, that charge is going to come no matter what. The 3D version of Force Awakens was seen by a fair amount of people as "Greedy Double Dipping" because that was the version with a commentary on it (the commentary might not have even been recorded in time for the regular version).

But yeah, I just don't see there being a desire on the studio side to even try fucking with "Special Editions" and "Extended Editions" like that. They just don't have the time or resources, and the films themselves aren't really crying out for it. The way the two new movies we've got were put together doesn't make that sorta stuff easy, anyway. A lot of resources would have to be allocated to getting deleted scenes in shape, cutting stuff back in, and even then, it's probably not a guarantee anything would be better.

I mean, so far as "Special Editions" actually being a better version of the movie than the theatrical, that batting average is low as a rule, and with Star Wars specifically?

I don't know why anyone would even want to go there anymore.

If they were going to go the cg route it would have been more effective to have her visible through a window and talking over a radio or something. Having her exclaim at the screen in a brightly-lit room is just too much.

I don't think it's too much in theory, but the execution of it wasn't great, and partially because the emotion they decided to go for with their digital recreation is as uncanny valley (if not moreso) than the actual animation. If they have Leia acting more subdued, more determined, maybe that plays better. Maybe the animation is easier and maybe our brains latch on more securely because that's a Leia acting like the Leia we know.

I finally saw this last night.

I'm not a Star Wars person. I've seen all the movies, and I don't hate them, but the only Star Wars related thing I ever really got into was KOTOR.

With that said, this was my favorite Star Wars movie out of all of them. People were getting murked left and right, and I really felt the "Wars" in Star Wars with this one. Plus it wasn't corny.

Interesting point about R1 messing with the mystery surrounding Leia in the beginning of ANH. Never thought about that and I watched it straight into EP4 one day.

Someone made that point earlier in the thread and I never thought it was a problem. Storywise Rogue One is a prequel to ANH, sure, but in terms of cinematic presentation it's still a spinoff, not "Episode 3.5". Seeing Leia's face in Rogue One is not an event that happens in-universe.

in terms of cinematic presentation it's still a spinoff, not "Episode 3.5". Seeing Leia's face in Rogue One is not an event that happens in-universe.

This doesn't make sense.

In terms of cinematic presentation it's as direct a prequel as Star Wars has ever had. It literally leads directly into the next movie, and a lot of the creative decisionmaking applied to the film was done with that specifically in mind. Seeing Leia's face absolutely happens "in-universe."

Surfinn

This doesn't make sense.

In terms of cinematic presentation it's as direct a prequel as Star Wars has ever had. It literally leads directly into the next movie, and a lot of the creative decisionmaking applied to the film was done with that specifically in mind. Seeing Leia's face absolutely happens "in-universe."

Yeah I agree with this, but disagree that it's a big deal. More of a hiccup in continuity.

Yeah I agree with this, but disagree that it's a big deal. More of a hiccup in continuity.

It's not really a "big deal," no, but I'm just trying to work out the various ways even a "minor deal" like this one could have been attacked in a different way so that the conversation we're having doesn't even really get broached.

This doesn't make sense.

It leads into the film that it's a spinoff of. Meanwhile the other film is episode IV (and not Rogue One episode 2) of a six-episode saga that Rogue One is not a part of.

The creative decisionmaking you're talking about is what ensured that the setting was the same as in ANH, that there was no plothole in the story, that people looked and talked and sounded like they did in ANH, etc. All these things are in-universe things. They happen in the fiction.

On the other hand, things like the lack of an opening crawl, a different composer, the lack of a Skywalker protagonist, the lack of screen wipes, etc. are things that separate Rogue One from ANH and these happen to be out-of-universe things. The cameraman shooting Leia's face does not happen in-universe. There is no cameraman in the fiction.

Surfinn

It leads into the film that it's a spinoff of. Meanwhile the other film is episode IV (and not Rogue One episode 2) of a six-episode saga that Rogue One is not a part of.

The creative decisionmaking you're talking about is what ensured that the in-universe setting was the same as in ANH, that there was no plothole in the story, that people looked and talked and sounded like they did in ANH. All these things are in-universe things.

Whereas things like the lack of an opening crawl, a different composer, the lack of a Skywalker protagonist, the lack of screen wipes, etc. are things that separates Rogue One from ANH and these happen to be out-of-universe things. The cameraman shooting Leia's face does not happen in-universe.

Just because the style is different doesn't mean the stuff you see on screen isn't happening in or a part of the SW universe. Disagree with this. It's a smaller piece, sure, but it's a piece nonetheless. It literally takes off the moment ANH begins. It doesn't get more in universe than that.

Her reaction and dialogue are all a part of the continuity of the story. I personally don't think it's "out of character".. a little wonky especially when paired with her behavior in ANH but it fit well enough for me.

This doesn't really matter, though. The films are meant to be linked together, back to back, while occupying the exact same fictional universe. Again - they don't make the decisions they're making in this movie if this isn't the case. The fact they're even going so far as to digitally recreate two actors to look like they did in 1977 is pretty visible proof of that. It's status as a "spinoff" doesn't somehow negate that it's the most prequel-y prequel that ever prequeled in the Star Wars series.

Things like the lack of an opening crawl, a different composer, the lack of a Skywalker protagonist, the lack of screen wipes, etc. are things that separates Rogue One from ANH and these happen to be out-of-universe things. The cameraman shooting Leia's face does not happen in-universe.

Again, I don't understand the argument you're trying to make here.

ZeroCDR

3D Bluray should be in my mailbox, very excited to revisit this. I liked it way more than I thought I would, hope it still holds up.

pxleyes

Banned
Found a nice little production error. Watch the back console. It must be on casters as it moves when the second person comes around to look at the screen.

giphy.gif

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Finally watched this. I liked it.

Only areas where it fell flat were actually the call backs to the originals. Felt fotced. Vader sucked, imo.

And the cgi faces were distracting.

Otherwise, liked it quite a bit.

Just watched and I really enjoyed it overall.

Went "oh shit" at the amazing Peter Cushing look-alike but after the first scene I realized it was CG. They shouldn't have used him as much because each additional time the illusion was broken a little more. Some of the characters weren't that memorable but I didn't hate anyone in particular. Liked seeing Ben Mendohlson (Bloodlines) as Krennic and the android was fun. A few of the callback jokes sprinkled throughout were embarrassing though.

Story moved at a nice pace and wasn't bogged down by too many threads. Action scenes were visually interesting and easy to follow. Visually I think I preferred the action in this compared to Force Awakens. Some of the wide spectacle shots looked incredible and I look forward to seeing it again for the beautiful eye-candy. Even though had been spoiled on the gist of the ending I shed a few honest tears. I found the ending to be pretty damn powerful and I bet it will hit me harder the next time I watch.

I thought this was a solid action-adventure/war movie. Certainly exceeded my low expectations. As someone who isn't too invested in the series I dug it.

I definitely liked this one better than Edwards previous effort at another big franchise. They both sport some awesome visuals for their respective franchises but they both also have lackluster character moments.

Man, I knew I liked Rogue One after seeing it in theaters but now I may just love it, and I'm not even a big Star Wars guy. I just keep re-watching it over and over, I haven't done that since Fury Road. The last 30 minutes may be the best cross-cutting action sequence I've ever seen. There are so many different characters and things happening in multiple locations and it all just flows so seamlessly.

TheXbox

Third time around, first time on Blu ray. Movie still kicks ass. Forest Whitaker is still terrible.

I've also decided that Jedha looks exactly the way I want Arrakis to look in the new Dune movie:

Perfect.

Anyone get the steelbook version from best buy? Beautiful cover so legit and only 5 more bucks over the original from 20 to 25 usd
Was talking about the digital de-aging and re-creation this weekend on twitter, and while I know I can't really speak to the technical aspects of why things do or don't work very well, I think I can at least point out some directorial decisions that might have at least contributed to why the effects didn't quite work the way they were intended, because it seems to me like the work itself was very, very, very good, but the ways in which the filmmakers chose to implement that work is what caused the disconnect.

So, here's the CG model for Princess Leia:

C8V5Oh9UIAELZxH.jpg

That work is pretty damned amazing. "But of course it looks good! It doesn't have to move. It just has to sit there and look like the still of Carrie Fisher from 1977 in the upper right!" Well, yeah. But even getting the fully CG model to so closely replicate that still to the point it's almost indistinguishable (and for a ton of people, it is, is still a pretty amazing feat.

But yeah, the problem is that once the mouth starts moving, the effect's believability starts to suffer—fast:

C8V5tRrVoAEelYc.jpg

Now, I don't know if that's a case of them not having enough time & money to get the de-aging down, or if it's a case of them having too much time and they just over-tweaked the thing until they wound up with a face that frame-by-frame looked right, but in motion read as very wrong. No clue. But I can tell you that somewhere between that model looking spot-on, and that model being made to say the word "Hope," something went awry.

And I think what went awry were two things, and both of them were directorial in nature, not technical.

(1) The decision to show her at all breaks continuity

This doesn't make much sense considering the whole point of her being there is because Rogue One appears to be a film that was made with one eye, at all times, on the notion that you're supposed to watch it directly before Star Wars. Yes, audiences could just accept the hard fact of this film having been made 40 years after the film it is immediately preceding, but everyone involved decided to try as best they could to make it match as seamlessly as possible.

Since that's the case: Deciding to show her at all breaks continuity. Because George Lucas obviously wanted to hide her identity until after she'd given the plans to Artoo. She's on the ship, but we don't know who she is yet. All the shots are selected carefully and arranged just so, in a way so Leia's "reveal" is meant to be the steely-eyed, determined young girl with a gun in her hand who isn't going to take any shit.

Now, the first time we see her is this:

C8V6LC_UIAAxvaN.jpg

Which brings us to (2) Leia is out of character

Now, not only are we seeing her, but the direction here doesn't make sense for either Rogue One, or Star Wars. Why is she so full of starry-eyed hope? How does that make sense for her character, especially at that moment? Immediately leaving the Battle of Scarif, and right before Vader personally snaps the neck of her captain and takes her hostage after getting shot, we get a moment of her doing this 100% idealistic, soft-focus, sadly happy reaction to getting the plans?

It doesn't make any sense, really. The emotion we're seeing Leia try to pull off there is an emotion Leia almost never shows in any of the films, and especially not in moments like that. Which might be helping with that uncanny valley vibe of the animation a lot (i.e. "why... why is she so happy here?") as well as making it harder to animate her face convincingly in the amount of time they had. If she's determined, or focused, or even slightly angry at what the Empire's just done, maybe that line plays better, and maybe that emotion is easier to essay in the few seconds she's onscreen.

It's not really a matter of the work being bad. The work is good. The way the VFX team was directed to use it sorta sabotaged 'em, I think. Same thing happened with Tarkin - that model's been posted in here already, and again - it's a great model. They put in a ton of work to make that effect believable, and most of the time, it shows.

an1-274066.jpg

peter-cushing-star-wars-grand-moff-tarkin.jpg

But as per this IndieWire article, you realize that what they were being asked to do with the effect (and how they were asked to do it) sorta diminished the best possible applications of it: Tarkin looked perfect under specific lighting, but they didn't manipulate the lighting on the Death Star scenes in post to allow for that effect to work correctly. Henry's performance was great, but because his mouth movements weren't 100% like Cushing's were, they went in and hand-animated the mouth. Did they overwork it? Did adhering to 100% frame-by-frame fidelity to a dead man's movements (a fidelity maybe 0.0001% of the audience would even notice) cause uncanny valley instead of mitigating it? Who knows.

They probably coulda never showed Leia's face and just put some makeup on Guy Henry and called it a day, really. Maybe they shoulda. Guy Henry looks like Peter Cushing enough that it wouldn't have to be that weird fright-mask they slapped on for Episode III. And considering the film features a completely different actress playing a Mon Mothma set something like 3-4 years before Return of the Jedi, audiences probably would have accepted a completely different actor playing Tarkin set the week before Star Wars.

Anyway: the VFX work is great. It's not bad. I don't see how you could call it that. It's pretty damned amazing. But maybe the direction didn't help it as much as it could have.
Very much agree about her attitude she should be flipping her shit because they are being chased by Vader

HotHamBoy

Just saw it.

A completely serviceable film. Throwaway entertainment. Not terrible, not great. A tad underwhelming.

Better than the prequels is the best i can say about it.

The Droid was pretty fun. I liked him. Everyone else sucked.

Those CGI faces were horrendous and unnecessary.

Don't feel like I ever want to watch it again.

The score is fucking GOOD.

That's funny, the score was one of the weakest elements to me. Very bland and forgettable, was not feeling any of the new themes.

I don't see how this compares favorably to TFA. That film may have felt like a retread but at least the characters were likeable and entertaining. It was a much more fun film to watch than Rogue One.

Also, Rey and Kylo's musical themes >>>> any of the Rogue One themes.

I got way more than I bargained for with the space battle. Thought it was just going to be a handful of blue squadron X-wings sacrificing themselves to get the team through the shield.

They did a great job with it, but the rest of the movie was kind of slow. The music didn't stick with me at all. Got the job done, but ultimately made up of forgettable tonal washes that are par for the course these days. It's perfectly fine for the amount of time he had to work on it though.

I took a party of 7 to a screening of Rogue One. 3 of them didn't make it back after seeing those abominations mocking life itself on the screen.

I lost good men in that theater.

good men.

Surfinn

That's funny, the score was one of the weakest elements to me. Very bland and forgettable, was not feeling any of the new themes.

I don't see how this compares favorably to TFA. That film may have felt like a retread but at least the characters were likeable and entertaining. It was a much more fun film to watch than Rogue One.

Listen to it a couple times. There's a lot to love there.. it grows on you. As does the TFA score.

I completely agree that TFA blows it out of the water though.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Basically me every time someone complained about the use of "horrendous CGI" in this film:

tumblr_m4sh7mmf631qg42pfo3_250.gif

Loved seeing Tarkin and Leia again in this film. People talk as if the characters were rendered on an Atari.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just saw it.

A completely serviceable film. Throwaway entertainment. Not terrible, not great. A tad underwhelming.

Better than the prequels is the best i can say about it.

The Droid was pretty fun. I liked him. Everyone else sucked.

Those CGI faces were horrendous and unnecessary.

Don't feel like I ever want to watch it again.

I probably liked R1 more than you did, but I generally agree with you. That said, I still can't wait to watch it on Blu Ray when my copy comes :)

I totally agree with you on the music though, I found R1's music completely forgettable. TFA's soundtrack is in a different league in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom