• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RollerCoaster Tycoon World - Website Opens, New Developer

D-Pad

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/

RollerCoaster Tycoon World fans, we are excited to share two exciting progress updates focused on new community channels and game development.

First, today we are launching the official RollerCoaster Tycoon World website (www.RollerCoasterTycoon.com) with built-in forums for you – our dedicated fans – to talk with the Atari team and developers to help us shape the game. The new forums strengthen the Atari RCTW community so gamers can play an active role, hear updates, and have an open forum for engagement.

Second, we are thrilled to announce we are partnering with Area 52 Games studio, a AAA production house on the next phase of development for RollerCoaster Tycoon World. Specializing in online PC gaming experiences, the Area 52 Games studio has brought together a team of veterans who have worked on major IPs across simulation and strategy genres, including Tropico, the Sims series, the Railroad Tycoon series, the original Pirates, Age of Empires, Forza and other well-known games. ​ Many thanks to Pipeworks for all their efforts in getting us to this point in the development of the game.

We are so excited to continue working on RCTW, and are 100 percent focused on creating the next great RCT game! Stay connected to the RollerCoaster Tycoon website, Facebook and Twitter page as we’ll soon be releasing new assets including screens, art, dev blogs, videos and much more!

Coaster bowl me if old

Sounds like it might be cool. I've never played any of the RollerCoaster Tycoon games, but the concept seems like something that'd be pretty fun to play around with. I might need to check this out in the future.

garyBig

Still not convinced I can really trust them. But maybe the prospect of a new proper RCT is just too much for me to rationalise.

GHG

Gold Member
It all sounds a bit too good to be true.

I'm waiting for the day when we discover the catch.

Lach

Early 2015 + hardly any info/pictures/videos doesn't leave me too optimistic. Happy to let myself be surprised though.

If all else fails there's still the possibility that Parkitect turns out good.

According to Crunchbase Area 52 Games is "an interactive game studio focusing on free-to-play games for mobile and PC platforms".

Hopefully Atari sticks to their word that this will be a full title with no micro transactions.

Pachimari

I'm not trusting them yet but I can't stop myself from getting excited about a new RCT. Hopefully it can live up to the original two games but I doubt it.

D-Pad

Well, they sound better than Pipeworks Software so that's something I guess.

Pipeworks seemed pretty open about development on the game amd evem seemed to interact with the community (at least at shyguysworld) a bit. Wonder if the new guys will as well.

New Post, and first (I think?) screenshot of the game:

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/introduction-to-the-community-manager-at-area-52-games/

Robins_Railroad.jpg

It's a flat ride. The terrain in the background looks pretty basic but that's likely in the alpha stages. The ride is the focal point and it does look like it has quite a bit of detail to it. If the visuals are consistent throughout and maintain this level of quality I wouldn't mind at all.

I do hope that terrain isn't final though...

LuuKyK

Ok... It doesn't look THAT bad based on that screen.

I just want them to keep everything (as in mechanics) that RCT2 had and improve on it. But there is no need to go wild with it.

I will stay confident that this is going to be good. Hopefully I wont be disappointed.

Roller coaster tycoo "world" scares me.... any info about it ?

Developed by a new studio called Area 52 games, apparently a lot of people in it have a pedigree of working on AAA titles. No "online only" component, no microtransactions (IIRC), release early 2015 but since we're just now getting the first screenshot it's likely going to be delayed.

It seems like Atari's changing the steering of the game after the likely colossal failure of RCT4 Mobile. That game was truly a piece of shit. Whether this game will be any better is up in the air but at least it doesn't look like ass from the get-go, which we couldn't at all say for RCT4.

D-Pad

I would have preferred that being an actual restaurant... Hoping the flat rides will look like actual flatrides but... I have a bad feeling I know where this game is heading.

Area 52 Games Admin says there are only four themes
You are correct! Robin's Railroad is a flat ride from the Americana theme. There are four themes in the game: Americana, Western, Sci Fi and Pirate/Adventure. And good eye for spotting the differences between concept and in-game asset. I think we should have a spot the difference contest on the forums, lol.
-Dre

This is not going to be anywhere near the scope of RCT3 especially if Atari is pushing for an early 2015 release.

Mik2121

I would have preferred that being an actual restaurant... Hoping the flat rides will look like actual flatrides but... I have a bad feeling I know where this game is heading.

This is not going to be anywhere near the scope of RCT3 especially if Atari is pushing for an early 2015 release.

Expect all the extra themes coming later on as DLC / Updates.

Anyway, I hope they add official Oculus Rift support for the roller coasters and all that.

No desert and water theme?
I guess they're pushing for early/mid 2015 release and prepare other themes for DLC.

FatboyTim

As a big fan of the series, I wish I could say I was cautiously optimistic but I've been burned too many times to get excited at this early stage.

I really hope it will be good. And I also hope that they try hard to push the cartoony graphics to its limit, with this art style a great image quality is possible. Sharp textures, round objects, new graphic effects etc, just make it look much better than these shitty 2004 graphics. Of course a new engine is also a must.

Bricky

As a big fan of the series, I wish I could say I was cautiously optimistic but I've been burned too many times to get excited at this early stage.

Yup. Don't forget this is published by Atari too, a company that stopped caring about creating quality content years ago. I want to believe, but as is we're better of expecting disappointment than getting excited.

Yup. Don't forget this is published by Atari too, a company that stopped caring about creating quality content years ago. I want to believe, but as is we're better of expecting disappointment than getting excited.

It's what remains of Infogrames, I think, so yeah - not a quality studio. They're a tiny shell of producers, in all probability.

This isn't being developed or published by Paradox or Sega, so at this point I have exactly no interest. If they'd turned around and said a Paradox studio team were handling development, I'd throw money at them.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Fun comes before the simulator aspect which RCT3 managed to butcher and scar me beyond repair with.

It's a good thing fun has nothing to do with isometric view. And it's a good thing fun is subjective enough to warrant the RCT3 defense.

Also daily reminder that Chris hated sandbox mode that you have to go to pains to "create" a sandbox mode in RCT2

Koren

It's what remains of Infogrames, I think, so yeah - not a quality studio.
I kinda disagree... there's a bunch of decent-to-good games from Infogrames, especially in the late 80s - early 90s. Maybe some of them aren't popular abroad, though.

For example, I still think Alone in the Dark is the first survival-horror game, and while it's quite old now, it was really a milestone.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
3D emphasis felt unintuitive and so made it unfun for me personally.

What do you mean by Christ hating the sanbox aspect?

There was no sandbox mode in RCT2 since he wanted the game to be played in his vision. You have to go through hoops to enable something relative to sandbox in 2 (like making a new map from scratch and altering the win conditions to make it last long).

And I still can't wrap my head around how a limited camera view makes things "better".

Those asking for Oculus support to ride coasters, just get NoLimits 2. It has great Oculus support, and perfectly replicated coasters with great graphics and realistic physics. And Steam Workshop support to download as many coasters as your heart desires.

I am really hyped, but also sceptical. I played the crap out of all 3 RollerCoaster Tycoon games. I still return to RCT2 as RCT3 has really bad performance issues (I mean, I'm rocking an old 920/5850, but still). The problem with filling a park with a bunch of customizable 3D rides requires a lot of optimization that a small team will find difficult.

Pau

I wonder how many themes they'll include. RCT3 had themed rides, which was kinda neat, but nothing beats the scenery theming options of RCT2.

Top Bottom