• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romeo + Juliet your opinion of the movie.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Haven't seen it (and tbh Romeo and Juliet is not among my favorite works by Shakespeare). But I can recommend the recent Macbeth movie starring Denzel Washington (Apple+). That movie is dope and Denzel is great as Macbeth.

Agreed

The Stig

I had to study this and the 68 film for my GCSE's, so I ended up having to rewatch them dozens of times so I quickly got bored of them. Wouldn't watch them ever again if I had the choice, which is a shame, as the 68 film had tits in it, and the Leo film was pretty good for a modern take on it
same. didnt care for them much.

AREYOUOKAY?

National geographic with their photos of top less tribal women was a legit resource
I knew I wasn’t alone.

5MvtJCL.jpg

CGNoire

I don't get how except y'all were saying the girl is "ugly" ...

Edit: I don't think she's ugly at all. Maybe not classically beautiful like Angela Bassett or Lupita N'Yongo... But definitely not ugly.

That said, I understand why (at least he) @HAYA8U5A thinks the stage play is a monstrosity in waiting
She not "hard to look at Ugly." Shes Hollywood Ugly. Its a stage play so who cares.

Last edited:
giphy.gif
The soundtrack was decent. The look of it (costumes, locations) was on point, but not the easiest movie to sit through. High light of show was probably John Leguizamo as Tybalt.

I was not the demographic for it at the time, and I thought carrying over the Shakespeare line-by-line was goofy.

I only watched it because it was on a free HBO weekend, and my satellite TV provider had a rating system where it said it had nudity in it. I thought I'd get to see boobies, but nope.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It’s a play, not a movie. At least try to know the basic shit before you complain.

You’ve seen it?

I have seen who they cast. Can't imagine it could be good unless they are going the Toxic Avenger route and making it a comedy.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Never said otherwise.

Nope, but it doesn't matter if she is the world's greatest actress. It would be akin to having Sloth from The Goonies playing John McClane. You can't take it seriously.
Oh come now, thats a bit of an extreme take, no?

Is this play even set in 1600's Verona or where ever the OG play was? Or is it a modern rendition. If the latter, they can really cast whomever they want, Shakespeare belongs to the world. and I support any and (almost) all use of the Bard in that context. If the former, well, maybe she is from Sicily and this is True Romance :p

MayauMiao

The Shakespeare dialogue broke the immersion. I get what they trying to do but it just didn't work eapecially to those not familiar with the original play.

Imagine playing the movie in a foreign country with basic grasp of English but never heard of Shakespeare because its not part of their lesson growing up.

Both, probably.

I think I was in 8th grade when I saw it in class, so that flash of nudity set us on FIRE.

Of course back then pron was hard to come.by (heh heh) and National geographic with their photos of top less tribal women was a legit resource :p
Oh. Really? Wow.

Well. Just another reason not to watch it lol

Top Bottom