• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romney: "What we feared is happening...the administration has made things worse"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it's mostly about feelings.

Well, yes, his economic ideology and a great deal of his civil-rights ideology is mostly about feelings (hurt ones, of rich white men angry about 1865) and not what actually works, that's kind of our point

By your own chart it was a widening gap back during those administrations. And they were still able to get things done.

By "my own chart" both houses of Congress were held by the same party, which wasn't nearly as polarized in either direction, and neither party leader felt like filibustering every god damned thing that made it onto the Senate floor.

And that's not even getting into how all of jack shit got done in the latter half of the 1990s (aside from the corporate tax handout of 1997 and all of the finance-sector deregulation that closed out Clinton's second term).

Sorry you don't understand how American politics have changed in the last 30 years, but that's not an excuse to pretend anyone in this Democratic Party could've done better (by whatever nebulous standard you're using) without a longer span of one-party Congressional control.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The 4th isn't under attack, it's been defeated, the 2nd is under attack in the sense of it's not dead yet but there have been bills trying to defeat it.
No there haven't. There's been attempts at sensible legislation and regulation. The whole "They gonna take mah guns!" rhetoric is a boogeyman perpetuated by Republicans and the NRA. If you're worried about background checks and mental health screenings, you shouldn't have a gun to begin with.

zeroOman

He can also blame John Adams for the Fourth Amendment constantly being undermined for the last 215 years.

"Reasons why Ron Paul and his Carpetbagging Son are Horrifyingly Bad"

can u tell me how from the list.... because I felt like he can do something for this country

By your own chart it was a widening gap back during those administrations. And they were still able to get things done.

Because Susan Collins, the current moderate moderate was in the center of the GOP during the 80's. Without changing a single position.

Adding to that, the Republican Party wasn't a death cult built on the destruction of the federal government. Reagan wanted to get shit done. The majority of the House caucus simply doesn't. You can't make people do something if they want to do nothing.

Is there something I can read about the alternative universe if Romney were elected?

You could, I dunno, realize that the supreme court appointments alone wouldn't have been the same. And that everything people find disappointing in Obama would be worse under a Romney administration since he's further right.

The 4th isn't under attack, it's been defeated, the 2nd is under attack in the sense of it's not dead yet but there have been bills trying to defeat it.

What bills have been attacking the 2nd Amendment? Most gun control measures work perfectly fine with the second amendment.

can u tell me how from the list.... because I felt like he can do something for this country

For starters, on the "economic policy" parts: he wants to abolish the entire safety net and the dollar-as-fiat, both of which would have devastating effects on just about every aspect of the economy for no empirically valid reason.

Damn this thread got crazy fast! The Pauls being good people? The 2nd amendment is under attack? Obama certainly deserves a lot of shit but some of you are just fucking crazy.

For starters, on the "economic policy" parts: he wants to abolish the entire safety net and the dollar-as-fiat, both of which would have devastating effects on just about every aspect of the economy for no empirically valid reason.

Who needs empiricism when poor people and minorities are abusing welfare.

seldead

"The war on drugs", while particularly egregious, still isn't nearly at the level of the Austrian school in terms of utter, full-throated stupidity.

THIS.
The libertarian movement is essentially someone doing a week of undergrad micro econ and thinking all of the worlds macro problems can be solved by first year supply and demand models. It scares me that is has a following in the United States.
The Austrian school is a disaster and there's a very good reason it's dismissed by actual economists.

The options were a socially conservative republican and a less socially conservative republican. Dont act like we didnt get the better option.

I voted green party personally, because its nice to dream

zeroOman

and how do u know it will have devastating effects.... because the economic is still in bad stat

Hellraizah

THIS.
The libertarian movement is essentially someone doing a week of undergrad micro econ and thinking all of the worlds macro problems can be solved by first year supply and demand models. It scares me that is has a following in the United States.
The Austrian school is a disaster and there's a very good reason it's dismissed by actual economists.

When your country hit rock bottom (see Greece for a good example), we'll see a lot more people adhere to the libertarian movement. Well, I hope so, because a culture of state dependance is always going to put a country in deep shit. There's no such thing as "good government management", because, when you got the power, you have no motivation to stop spending.

LuchaShaq

Banned
As pissed off as I am about the job Obama has done I have zero confidence that Romney wouldn't have been significantly worse.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
THIS.

No the Libertarian movement is a bunch of disaffected privileged white middle class males who lost a place on some STEM course to a black person.

@____@

Banned
When your country hit rock bottom (see Greece for a good example), we'll see a lot more people adhere to the libertarian movement. Well, I hope so, because a culture of state dependance is always going to put a country in deep shit. There's no such thing as "good government management", because, when you got the power, you have no motivation to stop spending.

You do realize its virtually impossible for the US to become like Greece, right? Our fiat monetary system alone makes it impossible for us to go bankrupt in a literal sense.

and how do u know it will have devastating effects.... because the economic is still in bad stat

Millions of people rely on the safety net which is a net plus for the government, i.e they make more money than they put in. You'd be taking away people's abilities to feed/clothe/take care of themselves in anyway whatsoever in poorer areas, exacerbating poverty issues several fold overnight.

And adhering to the gold standard again is just plain stupid. Pinning your currency to a finite source is about the dumbest thing you can do.

You do realize its virtually impossible for the US to become like Greece, right? Our fiat monetary system alone makes it impossible for us to go bankrupt in a literal sense.

But see by getting rid of the fiat system and pinning it to the gold standard means when it does collapse they can say we told you so. It really is a clever ruse.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

What's going on in Greece can never happen here, ever. Seriously, it can never happen.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Unemployment rate is now 7.4% down from 7.8% since the election. If Romney would have won, we'd be hearing "look what happens when you cut taxes for the rich! All it took was a Republican president to get the economy rolling! Obama = worst president ever!"

ivysaur12

Banned

If you keep saying "Become Greece!", it'll make sense, I swear. (This is actually one of my biggest pet peeves for the reasons you mentioned. We, LITERALLY, cannot "become Greece" because Greece is a unique situation to the EU).

KHarvey16

The US cannot become Greece. A proper understanding of economics would make you and those you're following aware of this.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Except you know, all the countries doing well that don't adhere to batshit insane Austrian economic philosophies?

lol.

We cannot go broke like Greece because we (the federal govt) is the creator of our currency and the debt is in our currency. We have the capacity to pay it at any point in time.

Harry Shearer's podcast had an interview with economist Stephanie Kelton that dispels all these myths in easy to understand language. Seriously, a really fun interview.

http://harryshearer.com/le-shows/october-28-2012/

Miletius

Plenty to be mad about with Obama but I'd still choose him over Mitt Romney (or Ron and Rand Paul). At least the stock market is up, right? At least we are moving forward in LGBT rights and in some ways, health care. Maybe we'll get immigration reform too.

He realizes unemployment is lower now than it was in November, right?

Imagine what he'd be saying if he were president and unemployment had fallen from 7.8 to 7.4 like now lmao.

He realizes unemployment is lower now than it was in November, right?

Imagine what he'd be saying if he were president and unemployment had falled from 7.8 to 7.4 like now lmao.

Romney being elected wouod have given the market confidence through fairies and now everything is awesome!!!

Wilsongt

Plenty to be mad about with Obama but I'd still choose him over Mitt Romney (or Ron and Rand Paul). At least the stock market is up, right? At least we are moving forward in LGBT rights and in some ways, health care. Maybe we'll get immigration reform too.

Blame Republicans in the House for that one not happening.

Matugi

NC out carolina'd SC.

Don't forget, they banned Shariah law

You guys are forgetting the assault on voting rights, too. Required official voter ID without any system in place to issue an official ID and eliminating on-campus voting on colleges AND requiring students to vote in their home district otherwise their parents cannot write them off as a tax exemption.

@____@

Banned
The Welfare Reform act
Federal deficit was lowered through a compromise of spending cuts and increased tax revenues.
Tax Payer Relief Act

Ao you are concerned about a number (deficit) that doesnt have any real life significance outside of the GOP/Lib hawks that keep obsessing over it. Ok.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I also love that the only people who still believe all these so called "scandals" are Republican. Everyone else lives in the real world and realize that Darrell Issa was releasing selective evidence to make these things look like scandals. IRS, Benghazi, fast and furious, etc. All of which are bull shit.

I can't say I'm surprised, these are the same people who believed Romney was going to win by a land slide because the polls were skewed and Dick Morris on Fox News was telling them Romney had it in the bag...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You guys are forgetting the assault on voting rights, too. Required official voter ID without any system in place to issue an official ID and eliminating on-campus voting on colleges AND requiring students to vote in their home district otherwise their parents cannot write them off as a tax exemption.

It's a hell of a thing to see it all in one sentence like that.

Sayter

Ao you are concerned about a number (deficit) that doesnt have any real life significance outside of the GOP/Lib hawks that keep obsessing over it. Ok.

The question was asked what legislation was passed after 1994. Question answered. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom