• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rose Colored Gaming releasing GBA

bomblord1

Banned
6914825.jpg

Rose Colored gaming will be re-releasing a revamped GBA with custom case colors. The item is already on the market but not with the custom cases and can had for $69.99. You may know these guys from their GB/GBC releases as well.

Full compatibility with normal hardware GBA games and ROMs.
Support for official GBA cartridges
Official and Unofficial GBA link cable support (K101-K101, K101-K1 GBA SP, K101-GBA)
Charging via mini-USB cable (powered USB and/or optional wall adapter)
Support for standard 3.5 mm headphone jack
TV-out via a 2.5 mm AV cable
In-game menu, allows for soft-resetting back to the main firmware menu
Real Time Clock (RTC) functionality
MP3 playback functionality
Text reading functionality
JPG viewer
In-game guide support (ANSI/UTF-8 .TXT)
GBA cheat support
High-quality LCD with 5 levels of brightness
Built in LCD scaling engine
Front facing speaker
Side mounted system power button and volume adjustment wheel
Top mounted AV-out jack, extension port, mini-USB port, and backlight button
microSD/SDHC support (up to 32 GB)
Function shortcut keys (*+L for in-game menu, etc)
Built in interrupt controller for cartridge hot swapping
Game preview picture support (based on internal GameID)
Cheat support (GBA .CHT files)
Ability to change the power-on and background images
Multiple language support
Zipped ROM file on-the-fly decompression

This part stuck out to me the most
The K101 Revo utilizes both an ARM7 and ARM9 CPU. The ARM7 is responsible for controlling the 2D dedicated graphic hardware and the sound hardware. The ARM9 acts as the master CPU for everything else. The system has achieved a high compatibility rate by implementing technology that can handle graphic, sound and data communications among all engines on the SoC.

The K101 Revo makes use of a special memory interface that allows the GBA cartridge interface to be "emulated" by a modern DRAM interface and DMA. The K-Card acts as an access device allowing the contents of the microSD card to be utilized by the SoC, and also doubles as a storage device for save files. The on-board DRAM is accessed only when the K-Card is used and functions by accepting the entire ROM before executing it.

It seems to be using a combination of real GBA hardware and an extra CPU for additional tasks

Tech specs
Dual Core system - ARM7+ARM9 compatible
CPU - 16.67 MHz
DRAM - 50 MHz
Frame Rate - 60 fps
Graphics - Dedicated GPU hardware circuits
Sound - Dedicated SPU hardware circuits
LCD - AUO TFT 3 inch screen (960x480 max resolution)
Battery - Nokia clone BL-58 3.7v 890mAh Li-ion rechargeable

At the very least it sounds good on paper although I remembering reading some somewhat negative stuff about the manufacturer in the past.

6076044_orig.jpg

Source

They're just going to paint up existing K101 Revo systems and, judging from previous work from them, charge a premium on them. Nothing special about the hardware compared to the original Revo.

Hmm... Is this real?

RCG was talking about this a couple days ago, it's not an April fools joke.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm surprised they're allowed to do this and Nintendo hasn't shut them down.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I fucking love their work so much. If I was rich I'd buy everything they make.

Obscure handhelds did a review on the system a couple years ago if folk are interested.

p1250960.jpg

It’s unfortunate that I have to pick fault with what is a very impressive engineering feat, but it has to be said that the Revo is not perfect. It excels in many areas that the original does not, but it lacks in others too. It combines the best of the GBA v1 and the GBA SP by taking a comfortable and aesthetically pleasing shape and pairing it with a bright and colourful display. If only the slight compatibility quirks and other niggles were ironed out it would be, by far, the best variation of the hardware yet. As it is though, there are a few glaring errors that detract from perfection. All in all it’s an improvement in most areas, and if you’re a GBA enthusiast then for $60 (~£40) it’s a hard bargain to refuse. Despite its flaws, nine times out of ten I will reach for this over a GBA v1 or SP when I want to get my game on.

Thank god for backlit screen. Might as well have been wearing actual rose-tinted sunglasses trying to play the original, thing was so dark.

lupinko

Why does it have 6 buttons though? Is it going to play emulators too? GBA was only 4 buttons.

I'm very interested btw.

bomblord1

Banned
I was under the impression it's going to be the same model as was released in 2012. The company is just finishing up producing another "print" of the machine.

I guess what's confusing me is it's listed as "coming soon" with no price point.

EDIT: Found an article on Nintendo Life about it. The new feature is custom case colors. That's what the re-release is about.

ajcacio

Banned
Do they ever have anything in stock? I feel like every time I've looked at their site everything is sold out.

I guess what's confusing me is it's listed as "coming soon" with no price point.

You can order the machine now for $70 USD from the manufacturer now. The coming soon is just for the custom paint jobs that RCG is going to do to those same machines.

RCG doesn't do a great job explaining that at all. Page makes it sound like they are producing their own GBA clone.

Considering this is a 2.0, I think this is real. Hope the white version will still be sold.
Any word if it can play GB/GBC games or is it like GB Micro?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
this is like a screenprinter saying he's opening his own clothing store

How will it work with the Gamecube Linking?
Good question. Cabling aside (which you can hack using a sacrificial link cable and Gamecube adapter, at least that is how you do it for making a GB micro compatible one) I think you have to be in the BIOS for things like Wind Waker and Crystal Chronicles while wasn't Pokemon in-game. Both could be a problem for this emulated/cloned hardware.

RedSwirl

Didn't realize the patent ran out on the GBA. So is this BC all the way back to the original GB?

Also, I've asked before, but do these 3rd party old systems usually use emulation or a combination of "authentic" chips? I've always wondered if any of them could actually output 1080p through linear scaling like emulators do.

Berordn

Good question. Cabling aside (which you can hack using a sacrificial link cable and Gamecube adapter, at least that is how you do it for making a GB micro compatible one) I think you have to be in the BIOS for things like Wind Waker and Crystal Chronicles while wasn't Pokemon in-game. Both could be a problem for this emulated/cloned hardware.

Pokemon still required you to be in the BIOS to download, and after that point the program in memory would read from the cart.

Saiyan-Rox

I'd be up for one of these

Back to the childhood of my GBA games. but being in the UK sucks unless there's a UK seller?

DMiz

... I think I might be the only person in this thread that doesn't like how it looks.

It just seems strangely proportioned. That, or I guess my love for the original GBA just doesn't permit me to accept this physical shape for it.

Dimmle

The test will be if it runs Mother 3 without the timing problems.

Exactly what I'm thinking.

Am I correct in understanding that this uses cartridges merely as "authentication" for access to the ROM, like the RetroN? So the Mother 3 translation patch is do-able?

So the Rose Colored Gaming one is going to be $199 then.

I was a big fan when they came onto the scene with their custom cases, but the mark up is so huge and kinda a rip-off, imo. I know a lot of craftmanship goes into some of these cases, like the Earthbound one they just did, but selling a ROM with a translation patch for $250 irks me.

Maybe I'm alone in feeling that way, but their name leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Get the $69 version if you're interested.

baphomet

Lol, they can't get anymore backlights so they need something to price outrageously to keep bringing in money. And I guess buying a handheld GBA emulator that you can paint all sorts of colors is the next best thing.

They're going to charge at least $200 for what can be had for $70 minus some tacky colors.

Top Bottom