• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rose McGowan: Ben Affleck is Lying, he knew about Weinstein raping me and other women

That's kind of interesting, actually. Ronan Farrow that wrote the piece on Weinstein in the New Yorker is Woody Allen's son. Ronan broke a story about his father allegedly sexually molesting his 5 year old sister, but that of course too was swept under the rug.

Nothing came out from that, iirc.

The industry is rotten. Everybody knows somebody that knows.

Was Ronan the one who posted on GAF?

Airola

I mean, I don't know if Luc Besson did any scummy shit or if you're joking about him in relations to his films (I admit I'm sheltered when it comes to film controversies), but take it with a grain of salt anyway - it's dated and we now know about people like Roseanne Barr being alt-right trash.

There's the old version of the script for Leon that doesn't shy from sexualizating a child. The final version danced around the issue in a much more discreet manner, but some old version of the script certainly didn't.

I think people think that was Luc projecting his own desires there and that's why it would be ironic for him to be against Polanski.

As far as I know, there aren't any rumors of sexual assaults or anything like that and I think it's just this script that has made people think twice about Luc.

There's the old version of the script for Leon that doesn't shy from sexualizating a child. The final version danced around the issue in a much more discreet manner, but some old version of the script certainly didn't.

I think people think that was Luc projecting his own desires there and that's why it would be ironic for him to be against Polanski.

As far as I know, there aren't any rumors of sexual assaults or anything like that and I think it's just this script that has made people think twice about Luc.
Ehm, okay?

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=195262343

Child with a 15 year old. As a 32 year old man.

gogosox82

Of course he fucking is, what a naive comment.

What could he have possibly done? McGowan settled(which is fine btw) and he has no power to go up against Weinstein and his corporate lawyers and all of his friends in the media that he would get to smear Affleck if he did say anything. You guys are acting like Affleck has all of this power when in reality he's just an actor who could easily be replaced. Weinstein had real power and influence and used it to silence and intimidate people which is why he was able to get away with this shit for so long.

Famassu

You dont now anything about what he knew, or what he did with/for the victims he knew about at the time.
Based on Rose's reaction to his posts, he did nothing for Rose, that's for certain. And considering Weinstein has been a disgusting pig for decades, I assume he didn't do much for anyone else either.

The self righteousness on display is pathetic. It’s super easy to sit here and criticize people while we have absolutely nothing to lose. It’s another thing to go out of work permanently because you stuck your neck out for a friend, were 100% in the right, but their lawyers were bigger than your lawyers and now you’re selling used cars in Reseda.

This sucks. Weinstein’s out of a job and hopefully the worst for him is yet to come. But the people who “stood by and did nothing” did so for the same reasons the victims did nothing. The same reason these fuckers keep getting away with it. Because they are powerful and with a phone call you lose the part or don’t work again. Morals are sacred, but so is eating.

I agree with a lot of this-- It's easy for us with nothing at stake to throw stones at people and tell them what they should have done.

On the other hand, someone like Affleck (if he did indeed know and could have spoken up) probably earns more money in a year than most Americans will earn in their lifetime. Even in a hypothetical situation where he's frozen out of Hollywood for doing the right thing, "eating" is not going to be an issue for him and his family. So that argument only goes so far.

Affleck's embarrassing reaction to what McGowan said is what you'd expect when politely complaining to a neighbor that their dog has been chewing up your newspapers or their kid has been stomping around in your garden. I liked Affleck and Damon (no way he didn't know about this considering how tight they are) but they deserve whatever is coming to them now reputation wise assuming they knew about this and other attacks on women and stayed silent.

Also, any actor/director/producer who denounces Weinstein needs to be name checked as to whether or not they are staunch supporters of Polanski and Woody Allen.

I forget from who I read it on twitter, but someone made the comment that this might be the beginning of Hollywood's version of the Catholic Church scandal. Wide and all encompassing.

Good, burn it all down, the whole disgusting facade. I honestly think Cosby getting thoroughly exposed was a foregleam of the industry getting rocked even further.

Ridley327

I knew about Woody Allen that he did some real horrible stuff too. Didn't he abuse someone? But man, something is wrong with you when you know the person you want released raped a 13 year old girl. I can't even imagine what goes around in their head. Did they believe he was innocent or something? Jesus.

But it's unknown if Nicholson was there when the rape took place? I mean it was his house after all......

Nicholson was out of town and I believe asked Polanski to house sit, and one day, Jack's girlfriend at the time, Angelica Huston, had stopped off at the house to pick up a few of her things when both Polanksi and Geimer were there and Polanski played it off really cool to not raise suspicion, claiming that he was just taking pictures of her and steered the conversation to talking about Jack's dogs before she departed. She left the house none the wiser.

Boke1879

I agree with a lot of this-- It's easy for us with nothing at stake to throw stones at people and tell them what they should have done.

On the other hand, someone like Affleck (if he did indeed know and could have spoken up) probably earns more money in a year than most Americans will earn in their lifetime. Even in a hypothetical situation where he's frozen out of Hollywood for doing the right thing, "eating" is not going to be an issue for him and his family. So that argument only goes so far.

Well what year did this take place?

I just lump him in with everyone else the knew but stayed quiet. But I can't fault him for not speaking up for Rose. It's not his place to do that.

CloudWolf

Wonder if Bryan Singer will be the next - some seriously fucked up shit about him out there.

There's already an entire documentary about him and some others. He didn't get caught after that and he won't now. Though I hope I'm wrong.

That's kind of interesting, actually. Ronan Farrow that wrote the piece on Weinstein in the New Yorker is Woody Allen's son. Ronan broke a story about his father allegedly sexually molesting his 5 year old sister, but that of course too was swept under the rug.

Woody Allen is a fucked up dude anyway. He is married to the adopted daughter of Mia Farrow, who he started a relationship with while he was married to Mia Farrow.

There's a reason why all of Farrow's kids with Woody Allen call themselves Farrow and not Allen.

Well what year did this take place?

I just lump him in with everyone else the knew but stayed quiet. But I can't fault him for not speaking up for Rose. It's not his place to do that.

What I mean is, I'm not specifically calling out Affleck individually because no one in this thread knows what he knew or when he knew it. I just mean that if we're conceding that people whose personal wealth numbers in the tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, the "their career would be over" defense for not speaking out only goes so far.

Blader

Nothing came of it? It was investigated years ago. There was no evidence that it happened and evidence instead that pointed to Mia Farrow coaching her daughter as retribution for Woody's relationship with Soon-Yi. (And that's further complicated by Ronan saying he believes Mia and Dylan's account, while his brother Moses has said Mia coached her and had abused him and his siblings as children.)

Woody Allen is a fucked up dude anyway. Remember that he is married with the adopted daughter of Mia Farrow, who he started a relationship with while he was married to Mia Farrow.

There's a reason Ronan Farrow calls himself Farrow and not Allen.

The circumstances of Woody and Soon-Yi getting together in the first place are pretty weird. But weird is a very different thing from child molester!

Boke1879

What I mean is, I'm not specifically calling out Affleck individually because no one in this thread knows what he knew or when he knew it. I just mean that if we're conceding that people whose personal wealth numbers in the tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, the "their career would be over" defense for not speaking out only goes so far.

I see your point.

But, let say Ben came out on his own and publicly named Harvey and said all the stuff about him. But no one else was willing to come forward? That's a huge accusation to make. Even for Ben someone like Harvey would most likely ruin you. Sue you for everything etc.

Like I said man. It's shit. But it's easy to say how we or people should react when we're not in that position.

PBY

Banned
I see your point.

But, let say Ben came out on his own and publicly named Harvey and said all the stuff about him. But no one else was willing to come forward? That's a huge accusation to make. Even for Ben someone like Harvey would most likely ruin you. Sue you for everything etc.

Like I said man. It's shit. But it's easy to say how we or people should react when we're not in that position.

But... HE HIMSELF IS A SEXUAL HARASSER.

This is how this shit keeps going.

CloudWolf

The circumstances of Woody and Soon-Yi getting together in the first place are pretty weird. But weird is a very different thing from child molester!

Yeah, I know, but you have to already have a pretty twisted mind to start dating with what is for all intends and purposes your stepdaughter.

Is there any chance of Harvey Weinstein being thrown in jail or any of this? Or is being kicked out of his company the worst thing that'll happen to him?

Boke1879

But... HE HIMSELF IS A SEXUAL HARASSER.

This is how this shit keeps going.

Did I ever argue that point?

I'm just saying there are many reasons why people don't say anything. Even someone as strong as Terry Crews. And no slight against Terry, but I'm sure he's heard stories of things going on even before his experience.

Unfortunately people try to ignore it and act like nothing is going on. Thank God a lot of this shit is getting exposed and I'm hoping more people feel courage to come forward.

Blader

Yeah, I know, but you have to already have a pretty twisted mind to start dating with what is for all intends and purposes your stepdaughter.

If he were actually a father or father figure to her, I'd definitely agree. But by all accounts (that I've read at least) he wasn't even a part of her life until she was 18, only ever interacted with her at Mia Farrow's urging, and then from those initial interactions became romantically interested. It wasn't a father-daughter thing that became a dating thing, as far as I have seen, which I agree would have been pretty twisted. And she was and is a consenting adult who has been in that relationship, seemingly quite stable, for like 25 years now, a fact that seems ignored whenever Woody Allen is brought up.

Like I said, it's a pretty weird way to meet someone. But it wasn't the stepfather abuse of power or outright child molestation it gets frequently caricatured as. And it's worlds away from Roman Polanski raping an underage girl or Harvey Weinstein sexually assaulting dozens of women.

JEEZ at this old post resurfacing:

1SxnVUw.png

He could've spoken up about it.

Yeah, wow, it's hard. "What did you expect him to do?"

Maybe care about other human beings suffering more than his own career

Cray thought, huh

You've clearly never been in a situation where you know someone has been a victim. As much as some people want to help, it's not their place to make that decision for them.

Ridley327

"Well" known? Like how?

It gets mentioned a lot, but there was a book that came out several years ago called Down and Dirty Pictures that was about the story of Miramax. It was made with the full participation of Harvey Weinstein, and despite being the "clean" version of the story, you would be utterly flabbergasted of some of the stuff that made it to print, with Harvey being proud of it.

Famassu

I wouldn't bother condemning him based on he said/she said. When someone is proven without a doubt to have done/said something worthy of condemning, sure. But we who are looking at this from a distance really don't have to personally engage us in every single part of this mess.

Sometimes it's better to acknowledge that not every battle is yours to take.
We know all of Hollywood knows of this or things like these. No one can feign ignorance. No one. If you think your favorite actors like Bryan Cranston or Tom Hanks don't know women and/or young boys/men who have gone through this, think again. They'll claim they "didn't know it was this bad", but that's just wilful ignorance & turning a blind eye on the problem they very much know exists. Affleck knew of MULTIPLE cases. Many others in Hollywood knew. At some point (earlier), someone in Hollywood should've gone "there are many women now who have gone through this, maybe we should try to get them together and make a case against Weinstein to stop this disgusting shit from happening". The "but think about their future" shit doesn't apply to huge stars like Affleck & his ilk.

I mean, there's even a sizable defense force for a person who fucking FLED USA to escape being prosecuted for raping an underage girl. Forgive me if I don't want to give the benefit of a doubt to Hollywood. They fucking knew and it reflects poorly on all of Hollywood that this shit has gone on for so long.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm quickly getting tired of the "Milkshake duck" meme but goddamn if Ben Affleck's twitter timeline isn't that personified right now

Randam

OK Luc Besson dated a 15 year old and they had a daughter when she was 16.
Is that illegal?

There were no raping, molesting, abuse or what not.

Top Bottom