• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rose McGowan: Ben Affleck is Lying, he knew about Weinstein raping me and other women

Grizzo

They said they wouldn't ever ban Donald Trump because even though what he's saying is mostly abhorrent, they are "committed to keeping people informed of what's happening around the world", so why did Rose McGowan get suspended?

I've read that it's because of the Lindsay Lohan email she's been sharing. Maybe Lohan reported the tweet or something. Still, it's important that people know about what's going on behind the scenes. So I don't get Twitter's decision. Purely hypocritical.

starmud

Not condoning any of the behavior; that said... are we acting as if the casting couch wasn’t a real thing we all knew of? The same thing is very well known in the record industry along with other high value industries where only so few get access.

The fact that people who are tied to the industry at high levels knowing these things isn’t surprising and I really don’t expect any one person to play hero. There’s a reason why women and men alike stayed mum on this topic even after finding their own success.

All of this coming to light shows how seeded old Hollywood was and will help clean up new Hollywood. That said, entertainment as a whole isn’t a pure industry. I’ve met many nice people who come out here to follow a passion but many do and being great doesn’t mean you’ll find anything. You have many who are willing to exploit that want for their gain, and it isn’t always sexual exploit either.

So she gets suspended from Twitter while the POTUS is free to harass journalists,companies and tweet out a threat of nuclear annihilation to North Korea.

TheYanger

Not condoning any of the behavior; that said... are we acting as if the casting couch wasn’t a real thing we all knew of? The same thing is very well known in the record industry along with other high value industries where only so few get access.

The fact that people who are tied to the industry at high levels knowing these things isn’t surprising and I really don’t expect any one person to play hero. There’s a reason why women and men alike stayed mum on this topic even after finding their own success.

All of this coming to light shows how seeded old Hollywood was and will help clean up new Hollywood. That said, entertainment as a whole isn’t a pure industry. I’ve met many nice people who come out here to follow a passion but many do and being great doesn’t mean you’ll find anything. You have many who are willing to exploit that want for their gain, and it isn’t always sexual exploit either.

I mean, that's not at all what this is about. It's certainly understandable that the same reason why a woman who is violated doesn't report it might lead a man 'in the know' to also not report it. However this is a case of that man then coming forward and pretending to be shocked and outraged, and then being shut down for lying about it. (ALLEGEDLY, I suppose is the right thing to say here).

duckroll

Twitter is a great platform and it's tragic that it is run by inept shitheads who continually condone the creeping of harassment and fascist ideals by basically turning the other cheek

In Case You Missed It

duckroll a moment ago

Twitter is not a great platform, lol.

Zaph

So nazi's and rape threats are "difficult to tackle" but Rose McGowan can have her account restricted inside a day for....something?

Unrelated - how much is WB spending on social ad buys for JL?

kmax

The fact that Twitter swiftly silences victims of sexual abuse and assault, yet keep sexual predators, right wing facists and nuclear world war mongers around speaks volumes about their core values.

Twitter is part of the system.

Deleted my Twitter account some time ago due to how poorly the platform is managed.

The company won't change until they start losing massive amounts of users.

Jazzem

The injustice of Mcgoawn's ban, no matter how temporary, is so frustrating, fuck Twitter.

But don't fret, I bet the free speech warriors who vouched for Milo and other alt right shitheads will come to her defence right? :)...

cameron

Twitter provided no specific instances of her rule violation, but stated that she can delete the tweets that violate its rules to gain access to her account more quickly.

I don't understand.

Twitter didn't tell her which of her tweets broke the rules? And looking at her recent tweets, none appear to be suspension worthy.

I'd love to see which tweets Twitter specifically had issue with. I'm eager to see them try and avoid setting themselves up for a whataboutism trap.

Volimar

Vegas should have a duck pool with odds on who is going to be outted as a shitty person next.

In Case You Missed It

duckroll a moment ago

Twitter is not a great platform, lol.

I think it is. You can get caught up on what folks you're interested in are doing very quickly. Sadly in practice it is rife with fucknuts.

Diablos

Lol they suspend her account but Trump can make inciteful commentary towards another nation that could potentially lead to war someday. Okay.

Twitter is trash, once this era of Trump ends I hope it goes down in flames.

I'm guessing its because she said "Ben Affleck Fuck Off"

mattandben-480x320.jpg

I have no idea. But you know how it goes. Explicit cursing, even if its non offensive, is technically still viewed as offensive. I am just speculating.

Not

Banned
I'm guessing its because she said "Ben Affleck Fuck Off"

mattandben-480x320.jpg

I have no idea. But you know how it goes. Explicit cursing, even if its non offensive, is technically still viewed as offensive. I am just speculating.

Wow cursing is so offensive compared to threatening nuclear war over your 100% failure of a presidency and micropenis and utter lack of true human affection from anyone

MIMIC

Banned
They suspended her account for swearing? In light of the circumstances, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

CHC

So not only is Twitter responsible for the rise of a public discourse so simplified and dumbed down that your argument is worthless if you can't express in one easy-to-digest line, it's also an absolute stalwart protector of every kind of unfortunate status quo plaguing our society.

Got to love them.

Wow cursing is so offensive compared to threatening nuclear war over your 100% failure of a presidency and micropenis and utter lack of true human affection from anyone

There's a lot of far more offensive stuff than even what Trump says on twitter. Tons of racists on twitter obviously. It's all about the right language. It's ridiculous but policing offensive language is a lot more easier than offensive ideas. They tend to let you go pretty far as long as you don't say the wrong words. Especially for white people.

I'm not defending twitter but I'm guessing their rationale is she is attacking another twitter user with curse words. Obviously context is key, and its an idiotic decision.

Alpende

They suspended her account for swearing? In light of the circumstances, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

If it's truly for cursing then that's just stupid. Shit, a ton of users say fuck this and fuck that in their tweets

Not

Banned
So she was suspended for saying THAT. Good thing Twitter wasn't popular when Daredevil was released.

Powerful men are now trying to silence her, because they feel entitled to continue getting away with whatever they want, no matter how much it hurts women.

Twitter is just asking "how high"

Had a really weird moment with my boss just now. I told him I don't expect Ben Affleck to be Batman for long especially since it came out he's been groping various actresses.

His response was

"If I was Ben Affleck, I would be groping beautiful women too"

Wasn't sure how to respond so I just did a nervous chuckle.

Mindwipe

I'm hearing from some places that there are other tweets that Twitter has hidden? Containing phone numbers etc?

No idea if they are legit though, the reporting around this is a hot mess.

Jazzem

Had a really weird moment with my boss just now. I told him I don't expect Ben Affleck to be Batman for long especially since it came out he's been groping various actresses.

His response was

"If I was Ben Affleck, I would be groping beautiful women too"

Wasn't sure how to respond so I just did a nervous chuckle.

Shows how normalised this line of thinking is, if you're successful of course you can do whatever you want with women regardless of consent.

Top Bottom