• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rose McGowan: Ben Affleck is Lying, he knew about Weinstein raping me and other women

From my point of view, lots of these actors have become big and they haven't done anything, so they have enabled him, just because they either brought them there (where they are now, millionairs and academy award winners) and/or they weren't actively affected by it.

With Polanski and now this, the number of actors I’ll get sick looking at is doubling. Harvey is craven and can convince himself he’s not a monster. But I don’t know how you could stay quiet then or hide/defend him now and look yourself in the mirror. I guess money and fame are really worth any price.

kmax

You know, that leaked tape story really makes my blood boil.

In 2015, Ambra Battilana Gutierrez went to the police after she was sexually harrassed by Weinstein, so they put a wiretap on her to gather evidence of foul play. After she returned to Weinstein and recorded the tape, the police got hold of the tape and sent it off to the DA.

It got dropped.

When we have cases where women have proof and even go to the police, the system fails them, yet some people still wonder "why many women don't speak out"?

Sometimes, I weep for this world.

When a victim sees an A-list star ignoring the problem and maintaining calculated silence, it just tells a staffer or actress at the start of her career that you can't speak out no matter how influential you become.

Depravity is at the core of this but it's wrapped in cowardice.

cameron

This is what I think, if she had any sense she'd go to the authorities. Not fucking Ben Affleck. I don't understand where he comes into the equation of her rape? Was he directly responsible?

This has smear campaign written all over it. A finger pointing exercise.

What the hell is "if she had any sense"?

2017 is not America turning into shit as much as it is us discovering how bad everything was. I'm not shocked when a Hollywood actor sucks up this knowledge, fucking assholes.

This is what I think, if she had any sense she'd go to the authorities. Not fucking Ben Affleck. I don't understand where he comes into the equation of her rape? Was he directly responsible?

This has smear campaign written all over it. A finger pointing exercise.

This not how shit like this works.
This isn't like when someone steals your wallet. It's a hard thing to report for any women, it's not easier when the person that did it to you can end your career and smear you in front of the entire world.

Hyun Sai

Come on guys.

Everybody knew this. They're in the system.

It's the same "good cops but won't say a thing cause career" argument.

And it will likely not stop anytime soon.

N7.Angel

Of course he knew it and he wasn't alone, the thing is, those kind of thing are always known when they explode, never before, because people are too afraid to do something or to lose their potential carrer, we're in the world where money is more important than human.

Reading the NYT article about Jolie/Paltrow/Arquette these Miramax agents & execs were entirely complicit in setting up these meetings, abandoning the premises, and then urging the actresses to STFU afterwards. Not to mention the casting agencies setting up these meetings on the other end. 🤔

Weinstein actually retaliated against Paltrow after Brad Pitt threatened to kick his ass, the man had no chill. It sounds like what little pushback he did receive never amounted to anything.

jelly

Yeah, it seems like a rather sick collaboration and endless buffet. I wouldn't be surprised if the police, politicians get a taste at some level as well.

I still want to see celebrities naming others, pointless just naming Harvey.

Peltz

Edit: Is rape used correctly here? It's not used in the source or on her twitter.
Right. For those who don't know, sexual assault isn't necessarily rape. Rape by legal definition requires penetration. Sexual assault, in contrast, is an unwanted/unconsented touching of a sexual nature. It could be grabbing someone's breast or buttocks, or a forced kiss.

( I also didn't see the word rape used unless I missed something. )

Volimar

Right. For those who don't know, sexual assault isn't necessarily rape. Rape by legal definition requires penetration. Sexual assault, in contrast, is an unwanted/unconsented touching of a sexual nature. It could be grabbing someone's breast or buttocks, or a forced kiss.

( I also didn't see the word rape used unless I missed something. )

She says "my rapist" in one of her tweets. From the OP:

2FgC5Ww.jpg

Ridley327

I wonder if Wes Craven knew about this.
If I'm not mistaken, most of his dealings were with Bob, as the Scream films came out of Dimension rather than Miramax. Not that he wouldn't have crossed paths at all with Harvey, but the orbit of influence isn't anywhere near the likes of someone like Tarantino. Not that we'll ever know now, but from the various biographies written about Craven, he comes off as someone completely disengaged with the whole Hollywood scene when he wasn't making a film.

krazen

Surprised we are going after hollywood stars because they didn't "speak out" on issues affecting themselves.

1)First of all no matter what level of success a studio exec can easily hurt your career + make your life hell

2)By this time its an entrenched system; there's tried and true HR and legsl protocols to shield them. Lets not think that during these decades of hollywood not one person spoke up; reason we don't know about them is that entrenched system buried them

3)Its interesting we ask them to be martyrs but I wonder how often in our lives when we see possibly shady shit (not even talking sexual assault, work shit, etc) we immediately go into whistleblower mode

While they will have to deal with the morale issues themselves at night im not gonna flip out of Meryl Streep who is also a woman and might not want to admit what she went through, to a piece of shit studio exec who feels comfortable enough to group Terry Crews in 2016

Oh shit, now someone on TRL is claiming Ben Affleck groped her breasts. This is getting bad for him.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ben-affleck-is-accused-of-groping-actress-hilarie-burton

When a fan tweeted that Affleck might as well have ”kept quiet," another Twitter user wrote: ”He also grabbed Hilarie Burton's breasts on TRL once. Everyone forgot though."
Burton, who starred in the show One Tree Hill, quickly jumped into the thread, confirming that she recalled the incident.

Hilarie then wrote: ”I was a kid."

All the tweets are on this page. Tim League rehiring Fatso Faraci has inadvertently ignited a small revolution.

I don't think I buy that 100% because it's not just Weinstein that is getting ousted. Other women from different sectors of the entertainment industry are coming forward with their stories on the men that abused them.

Is another powerful man benefiting from this? Sure, but I doubt he'll have control over the next deep investigation

Milkshakes duck is
Of course you don't buy it, you have a narrative that you want to stick to and that's obvious. There's been hundreds upon hundreds of reported incidents of rape and pedophilia in Hollywood and when it comes to the elite, 99.9% nothing happens when the most powerful are involved. Now all of the sudden, one of the most powerful men in Hollywood is getting blitzkrieg at every corner. This didn't just happen out of the fucking blue.

Thanks for the definition, it's a little weird :p

CloudWolf

That he lied about it is shady, but I'm not entirely sure what Ben Affleck could've done here. I mean, even if he knew about it (which it seems is the case), he wouldn't have been able to go up against Weinstein anyway.

No, he's really not. Ben Affleck doesn't even have half the power someone like Weinstein had, he's 'just' an actor and director, Weinstein is a big-shot producer with hundreds of award winning films on his resume. We don't know when McGowan told Affleck this, but it's likely either the late 90's or the early 00's. Ben Affleck was a fairly young actor back then. Sure, he had won an Oscar, but that doesn't mean shit. If he had gone public about Weinstein, Weinstein would've done the same to him as he threatened to do to those actresses: make sure he's never hired again.

That he lied about it is the shady, but I'm not entirely sure what Ben Affleck could've done here. I mean, even if he knew about it (which it seems is the case), he wouldn't have been able to go up against Weinstein anyway.

He could have not lied and backed up the women who are coming out with this.

He probably was powerless then, but he can right these wrongs now.

It seems pretty clear most people were completely unaware of actual assault and rape. I mean you don't think someone like Meryl Streep would have spoken out before now if it was really so open?

I dunno, but here she is giving a standing ovation to a convicted child rapist:
QCy07Fd.jpg

We are far overdue for some fucking clean up

On the contrary this is exactly what America needs

I just hope this extends all over the place. Its not enough to just take down rich criminals in Hollywood but everywhere

The fact is is actually coming to light is a good sign for change though. Stuff like this is normally swept under the rug
I agree. A year ago I thought I knew my country. Now I have no idea where I live or where we are going as a nation.

CloudWolf

He could have not lied and backed up the women who are coming out with this.

He probably was powerless then, but he can right these wrongs now.

I agree with that, definitely. A lot of people are claiming though that it's shameful that Ben Affleck did nothing even though he knew about it, which is silly because Affleck was probably powerless to do something back then.

Anyway, hopefully this wil lead to more names being dragged out in the open, because this shit has been going on for decades. I remember watching that An Open Secret documentary (linked above) and just being absolutely disgusted by the fact that this was happening, but also that it was just handwaved away by Hollywood, with one of the main perpetrators now being a rich CEO in Silicon Valley and another being the main producer for anything X-Men. I still feel dirty for liking the X-Men films.

doby

I dunno, but here she is giving a standing ovation to a convicted child rapist:
QCy07Fd.jpg

Also, proclaiming Weinstein as 'God' during an acceptance speech knowing full well, as everyone did in Hollywood, that he regularly letched on young actresses is difficult to understand. No wonder he continued, everyone pretended he wasn't like that. In a way it was reaffirming for him.

Okay, unwanted groping is really bad, but she wasn't "a kid".

A 21-year-old kid?

She's probably referring to her vulnerability in the situation. It's not like at the age of 18 there's a magic switch in the brain which switches to 'adult mode'. He assaulted her and she didn't have the mental resources to know how to handle it.

Blader

Pretty sure no NDA would ever hold up under these circumstances.

One of the women in the New Yorker piece said she was exposing herself to potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in penalties for breaking her NDA.

Hollywood is a fucking cesspool confirmed. This is just disgusting.

I agree. A year ago I thought I knew my country. Now I have no idea where I live or where we are going as a nation.

THIS confirms that Hollywood is a cesspool? THIS is the incident that makes you question your country?

If Harvey Weinstein never existed, Hollywood would still be a town built on abuse and sexual assault; these crimes have been codified into its institutions for literally decades. It is actually a good thing that more of these stories are being brought to light. I would rather be going in this direction as a nation than continuing to sweep these stories under the rug because they might upset some people.

Grenchel

The best thing that can come out of this is for more people to come out with their stories about more of these shitbags, and the people that kept them in power.

If you are asking if someone in Hollywood knew how scummy it is, the answer is yes. This isn't anything new. The problem is, for most of them it comes down to hearsay. They know how someone like Weinstein acts,and can believe he would sexually assault someone, but they probably haven't seen it first hand and can't do much about it. And if they attempted to come forward they would get destroyed by the Executives.

Fresh faces in Hollywood, if they aren't assaulted, are probably scared into keeping silent about it. And it just keeps perpetuating. Hopefully this is leads to a lot shitheads being exposed.

Ash735

I'm surprised people in this thread are shocked and even angry at Ben Affleck, this is Hollywood, there's been sexual abuse towards men and women, hush money, career "favours", seedy deals, etc, for DECADES. One major actor alone isn't enough to change things, in most cases they end up blacklisted and that's them ruined.

This could be a career killer.

It casts a suspicion on all who are super close to him.

I hope Tarantino was clueless in all of this.

I don’t think many people understand that these type of situations have been a “open secret” that no one would talk about in Hollywood. Be it rape, sexual assault, or child molestation, there is a ton of bad shit happening in Hollywood but no one wants to come out and expose it in fear of the backlash.

Top Bottom