• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPCS3 |OT| Emulating PlayStation 3 Games

PGamer

fucking juniors
sncdLh3.png

Website | Blog | About | Compatibility | Download | Quickstart | Roadmap | FAQ | Wiki | GitHub | Discord | Forum | Patreon

RPCS3 is a PlayStation 3 emulator for PC. Originally released in 2012 RPCS3 has more recently made large strides in both compatibility and functionality thanks to new development leadership and a crowdfunding campaign via Patreon. RPCS3 is now capable of playing many PS3 games and has game enhancement features such as higher resolution rendering that the original PS3 hardware isn't capable of. The current state of development is still quite early but things have been progressing quickly.

RPCS3 is free and open source software but the developers do accept donations to help fund further development.

5czChpD.png

See the RPCS3 Quickstart Guide for information on how to get started with RPCS3. This includes info on system requirements, game dumping, and other necessary files.

In order to rip your PS3 game discs to use with RPCS3 you will either need a PS3 with homebrew ripping software or a compatible PC Blu-ray drive. Note that not every PC Blu-ray drive is capable of ripping PS3 discs. For more information on PS3 homebrew you can also check out the PS3 CFW & Homebrew Thread.

X5s6nyW.png

Downsampled screenshots taken with RPCS3. Click for higher resolution.

Last edited:

L.O.R.D

thanks for this thread
i have many games on my PS3, most of them are digital. tho my PC is not powerful to emulate PS3 right now, maybe after i get new PC.

but is there a way to rip my PS3 game without CFW and put them on the emulator?

thanks for this thread
i have many games on my PS3, most of them are digital. tho my PC is not powerful to emulate PS3 right now, maybe after i get new PC.

Well using a suitable BD drive via PC I would guess.

Not your digital games. That's why CFW is required, to gain access to the software on your PS3 or to dump discs from the PS3 itself (which is much more reliable than the PC software).

Wait, one of those screenshots look like Fight Night Champion, is it playable on the emulator? It's one of the only reasons my PS3 is still hooked up.

Wait, one of those screenshots look like Fight Night Champion, is it playable on the emulator? It's one of the only reasons my PS3 is still hooked up.

Before this thread fills up with questions like that it'd be a good idea to remind anyone reading that there is an OT with information answering common questions. One of those things is a compatibility list. You can look up games there, see what status they're in with the emulator, and go to a forum topic that generally has more details on how the games run, what settings you should use, etc.

-shadow-

I take that a 8700k and a 1080ti would be enough for some decent performance? Might want to continue with Demon's Souls, but the frame-rate is really all over the place.

I take that a 8700k and a 1080ti would be enough for some decent performance? Might want to continue with Demon's Souls, but the frame-rate is really all over the place.

GPU doesn't mean much to RPCS3, what's key is CPU power (as with most emulators). It's hard to say any CPU will get "decent performance" unless asking about a specific game, not everything is well optimized yet. 8700K is pretty new and last I read the latest and greatest Intel procs weren't always the best performing, but that may have changed in recent builds. I'd say you can get a good idea of performance for a game by looking up the game + i7 7700K + RPCS3 and seeing how it runs there. Your CPU should be similar.

Nice OT, thanks!

This emulator is amazing and it's progressing at such an incredible pace, many thanks to all of the devs and to those who help out with it!

I have yet to dig into PCSX2 with the PS2 discs I have but maybe with this and a BD Drive I can finally also ditch my PS3. Subbed.

I want to emphasize that ripping physical PS3 games via a PC is a pretty painless process. Not EVERY BluRay drive is compatible, but many are.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I know this site is full of Black purists, but being able to smoothly play the original Ninja Gaiden Sigma via this emulator would be awesome and a positive step towards preserving Ninja Gaiden.

catabarez

I was fortunate enough to have already owned a compatible bluray drive. I already dumped Demon's Souls and got it running.

Fukuzatsu

I want to emphasize that ripping physical PS3 games via a PC is a pretty painless process. Not EVERY BluRay drive is compatible, but many are.

Well, and a lot of Japanese versions of games are going to be a pain to find the ISO of whether you own it or not.

I'd like to do some ripping but am totally clueless as to what's involved and the Blu-Ray compatibility.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

No love for Asura's Wrath?

I finally able get a copy Asura's Wrath and Im currently in Episode 3 and my god this game. I love the way they made the game look like you are watching Anime TV show.

ValfarHL

Woooo, Demons Souls is playable. 1440p at 60fps here I come!

My 4790k running 4.7ghz and some magic dust surely can do it

The system requirements is pretty bare bones.

What CPU/GPU is generally recommended?

There is no general recommendation, you could have a super computer and some games won't run well, you could have a weaker system and something like Catherine might run at full speed. You need to know what game you're interested in playing and see if other people have success with a similar hardware spec to your own. Generally though, faster hardware is better.

Is it possible to logon to PSN from emulator then download all digital games?

No, network support is only just now being implemented but you cannot connect to PSN and it's unlikely this will ever be allowed. You can run YouTube though!

neptunes

There is no general recommendation, you could have a super computer and some games won't run well, you could have a weaker system and something like Catherine might run at full speed. You need to know what game you're interested in playing and see if other people have success with a similar hardware spec to your own. Generally though, faster hardware is better.

No, network support is only just now being implemented but you cannot connect to PSN and it's unlikely this will ever be allowed.

Ok thanks, do you think the emulator uses hyper threading or more than 4 cpu cores?

Ok thanks, do you think the emulator uses hyper threading or more than 4 cpu cores?

It does, but I don't think more cores is as important for RPCS3 as much as core clock speed is, that's usually the case with emulators this early in development (same for CEMU). Single threaded performance is probably still the most important factor.

Edit: Actually, some quick googling gave me a thread on RPCS3's forum that said that it handles multithreading much better than other emulators typically (I guess due to way PS3 is designed).

https://forums.rpcs3.net/thread-194904.html

Griss

This is very promising.

However as I don't have a PC it's of no use to me at the moment. So I checked if the Everybody's Golf games or Metal Gear Solid 4 were playable and they're not. But if they were the temptation to build that PC would be very real...

Soon, I imagine. Soon.

EDIT: Looking through the games I'd like to play on the emulator it's amazing to me how few games there are that I'm desperate to replay that aren't already on PS4 or ported to PC. TLoU, GTAV, Journey, the Uncharteds... so many have made the leap and so many of my favourite PS3 games were annual franchises that have simply had those PS3 games eclipsed by later entries on PS4. Sports and racing games, mostly. I'm surprised at how few games I'm desperate to replay because in my mind the PS3 was a magical console.

WetWaffle

I tried downloading the newest version but it crashes whenever I go to File->Install Firmware. Anyone know if there's a solution to that?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Depending on how the Yakuza games will run, I might get a BD drive and give this a shot

I'm going to likely end up doing this as well. My old PS3 phat died a few years back and I never got around to replacing it and never got through my copy of Yakuza 4, though I had started it. I figure I can just play Yakuza 5 on PS4, then finally get around to Zero.

Top Bottom