• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: F-Zero GX - This is only 480p?

Fandangox

Cool. I'm going to put a good deal of effort into it with pictures and music samples, but now that I know there are at least three people in the world who care I'm motivated. I'll post in here when it's up! Might take a bit!

As long as the GOAT Red Canyon rearrangement from GX is in it will be a 10/10

people already pretend the 2 that came after GX don't exist so we're at that point already.

Let's be fair: GP Legend is worth forgetting, and Climax, through excellent, never made it out of Japan.

Besides, those are low-tech portable games, hardly what someone who wants more GX is after.

As this is the most recent, semi-active F-Zero thread on GAF figured I'd ask here. Would anyone be interested in a thread covering the music of the franchise? I recently finished acquiring all of the official OST releases and several doujin albums and have been in the mood to share. Culmination of a 10+ year journey to get them all!

Speaking for a friend, yes please. He's a big game music guy, much more so than myself, and loves F-Zero in particular. My copy of Wipeout HD still plays F-Zero GX music, thanks to him.

GenG3000

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. Which tricks are you referring to?

Very insigthful. I'll try one of those as soon as I get a chance. I want to try the game in 480p too, so I'm getting component cables for the Wii.

Please doI I myself have physically the original F-ZERO jazz arrange album and the F-ZERO X Guitar Arrange album, the second being one of the most impressive and professional arrange albums ever produced for a videogame (it's my favourite, at least).

I've always wanted to listen to some small doujins albums that nobody uploaded when they were released.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My poor PAL-land bretheren. You guys deserve so much better :'(
Honestly, I don't think 480p makes a huge difference on most GameCube titles. It's useful for displays that struggle with de-interlacing but, in so many games, the 480p output appears much more dithered than 480i. The PAL systems can at least output RGB so you can achieve a very clean 480i.

Madao

you guys have not really truly experienced all of GX until you beat master class with every ship and then beat it with 1 hand.

Honestly, I don't think 480p makes a huge difference on most GameCube titles. It's useful for displays that struggle with de-interlacing but, in so many games, the 480p output appears much more dithered than 480i. The PAL systems can at least output RGB so you can achieve a very clean 480i.

Nintendont can force 480p on PAL GC games. i wonder if it's any different than NTSC 480p.

maybe you get the best of both worlds that way but i live in NTSC land do i can't see the difference.

ec0ec0

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. Which tricks are you referring to?

On some circuits, staff ghost use, for example, shift boosts. It's not a big deal in most circuits. If you don't know what shift boost are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhuL3luoKYg

Although people combine them with momentum throttle (realising the accelerator button so that your speed loss is more linear).

If you want to try beating some staff ghost, i'd suggest starting with the ones that don't use the really good ships (i.e. fat shark, black bull, death anchor).

Final edit:I wrote this RTTP after playing GX for hours this weekend. I finally unlocked "Master Mode" on Sunday. Plus I'm on episode 7 of the Story after being stuck on episode 2 for the longest time. I was having so much fun with the game this weekend I just needed to share. I will not give up until I 100% beat this game.

hopefully you don't have a very hard time killing black bull lol

Ezalc

This thread made me hook up my GCN again, even though I'm still in midterm's week but most of them are done, to play this game.

I was able to beat diamond cup on standard and ruby cup on expert in a row. I'm surprised since I haven't played in so long. Then again I wasn't trying to get first in everything, just win the overall cup.

Some more steps on my quest to unlock everything in this game.

I loved the ability to connect your GX data with the AX arcade, and vice versa.
But HATED the fact that the arcades I usually visit never had AX.

I was only able to find one in Orlando and two in Vegas.

The game itself was/is incredible, from the music to the tracks.

Peltz

I loved the ability to connect your GX data with the AX arcade, and vice versa.
But HATED the fact that the arcades I usually visit never had AX.

I was only able to find one in Orlando and two in Vegas.

The game itself was/is incredible, from the music to the tracks.

Yea, never got to try an AX machine, myself.

One of my favourite ever games. I still have the original Japanese GameCube version that came with the free arcade cards. The AX version had a card reader in Japan. I don't know what the cards do.

The cards were used to save your data on the arcade machine. The US version had them too. You could use your GC Memory card and your AX License card to share vehicles between the two platforms. The US version had them as well, and it was how I was able to race with the Rainbow Phoenix from almost day 1. I lucked out unlocking it in the AX game if I remember right and it saved it to my License and GC Memory card.

I feel damn lucky to have gotten to play the AX machine. I remember some of the tracks being pretty fucking wicked.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Give me a moment. I'll edit this comment in some minutes.

The 3 different methods of turning explained in the game manual (which are, frankly, not as usefull as they should):

OqztGeH.png

The quick turn is a more usefull one.

The simplest way of doing a quick turn would be to:

Now, that method implies starting the quick turn pressing both trigger at the same time. There's also the option of doing it pressing both triggers in quick succession. So, this would be another way of quick turning:

Although, with this second method, you should take care of not sliding before starting the actual quick turn (something that is not a concern with the first method). To avoid this, it's crucial that (like i said right above) you press the first trigger very slightly. Also, you should release it instantly after you press the other trigger + hold the analog stick (to avoid drifting).

Try both methods and choose the one that you're most comfortabe with. That will be the method that you'll use in most cases, but not in all. There's a situation in which is more practical to quick turn in a similar but not exact way: when you’re in the middle of a slide, and you want to change it into a quick turn in that same direction!! In this case:

An example of when you'll be doing that: you’re sliding to the right (you’re holding right + the R trigger) and you realize that you’re going to crash, with the left rail, because you aren't turning enough to the right. In this case, you can quickly and very slightly press and release the L trigger (without releasing the R trigger) to change the slide into a quick turn (so that you turn harder to the right and avoid crashing).

I started playing this game for the first time last night on Nintendont. Is it possible to do this drift trick with the Pro Controller? Since you don't have analog triggers?

ec0ec0

I started playing this game for the first time last night on Nintendont. Is it possible to do this drift trick with the Pro Controller? Since you don't have analog triggers?

It's perfectly fine, if you know what to do and what not to do. So, to keep things short, i'll explain you how you need to do it, but not why xD

For you, to quick turn:

- to turn hard right: you don’t move the analog stick at first. You start by holding both triggers, then you instantly hold right + release the L trigger (while still holding the R trigger). To stop quick turning, you release the R trigger and the analog stick.

- to turn hard left: you don’t move the analog stick at first. You start by holding both triggers, then you instantly hold left + release the R trigger (while still holding the L trigger). To stop quick turning, you release the L trigger and the analog stick.

In my previous explanation, i mentioned two main methods of quick turning. However, because you're playing without analog triggers, your only option is doing it exactly how it's explained above (i like to put the explanations in quotes :p).

The 3 latest paragraphs of my previous explanation are the same for you. It's just that, each time i say "you slightly press", you should read it like "you press" haha

link to my previous explanation: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159308794&postcount=118

p.s. some people might find it annoying that you quoted the whole post. Although, because i put some things in quotes, some parts don't appear. That's convenient :p

Ezalc

Wooo unlocked master difficulty and got all the cars from the shop (the ones that don't need to be unlocked to buy anyway). Time to start working on unlocking the ax cup and then I'll go back to doing the story mode, which will take me an eternity most likely. After that I'll be done though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow, I had a breakthrough last night. I was struggling hard with this game. Then I tried Captain Falcon and started playing through the tracks A LOT better.

Should beginners just exclusively play with Captain Falcon? Is there any reason to switch ships? There is such a night and day difference between using Falcon versus any of the other ships (I only have four unlocked so far). I have only cleared the first cup on Novice, and working on the second cup.

Does this game get faster with Novice/expert/advance? Like Mario Kart and the various CCs?

AKC12

Wow, I had a breakthrough last night. I was struggling hard with this game. Then I tried Captain Falcon and started playing through the tracks A LOT better.

Should beginners just exclusively play with Captain Falcon? Is there any reason to switch ships? There is such a night and day difference between using Falcon versus any of the other ships (I only have four unlocked so far). I have only cleared the first cup on Novice, and working on the second cup.

Does this game get faster with Novice/expert/advance? Like Mario Kart and the various CCs?

The Blue Falcon handles very well, thus it is easier to go fast without losing control. I would recommend sticking with Blue Falcon as you progress through the game some more. By the time you get to Expert difficulty you'll probably find it difficult to win all the time. I wrote a post on page 3 where I talk about the best machines in the game. I recommend you try out Sonic Phantom and Hyper Speeder whenever you want to try out other machines.

The speed of machines don't increase as the difficulty increases. But you'll need to learn how to go faster to win in the next difficulty (There's a master difficulty as well, FYI).

ec0ec0

First, you need to have a clear idea of how to drive.

Before each race, on the configuration screen, move the cursor all the way to the right (max speed). I'd suggest you to rely on quick turning, a lot. If you can't take a turn with just the analog stick, then the quick turn is going to be the best option in most cases. If you can't take a turn with a long quick turn, you can take it with a couple of consecutive but shorter quick turns. Each time that you need to reposition your ship, a short quick turn should get the job done.

If you haven't bought any ship yet, you should have these four ships unlocked, i think: Blue Falcon, Golden Fox, Wild Goose and Fire Stingray. From those four, the only one valid for you is the Blue Falcon, as it is the only one that you'll find easy/effective to use.

What does a ship need!? You want high grip, so that your ship doesn't drifts easily, an easy handling and also a good quick turn. You want those things in any ship you use. The Blue Falcon excels at all that, that's why you like it :p If you want to go faster, you'll need ships that have all that plus: high top speed (above 1100 ideally) and a strong boost (a high top speed helps here).

You can go back to the previous page if you want to see some recomendable ships. What you learn with the Blue Falcon will translate well to ships like Hyper Speeder, Sonic Phantom, Big Fang... but it won't translate well to the ships that you have right now like Golden Fox, Wild Goose, Fire Stingray. You can completely ignore the first two, as both are bad and a mess to control compared to the Blue Falcon. Fire Stingray is better than the Blue Falcon, but it's more demanding. Its handling is trickier.

Hope that helps :p

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Those are awesome posts, thanks guys.

My only other question is about the "spinning attack". WTF. I don't even know if its doing anything. I can't tell if I'm actually making contacts with other racers when I use it. And sometimes when I press the button, nothing even happens... like the attack input didn't register. Is there a specific time when you can use that attack? How many times do you have to use it before I can destroy another racer?

Those are awesome posts, thanks guys.

My only other question is about the "spinning attack". WTF. I don't even know if its doing anything. I can't tell if I'm actually making contacts with other racers when I use it. And sometimes when I press the button, nothing even happens... like the attack input didn't register. Is there a specific time when you can use that attack? How many times do you have to use it before I can destroy another racer?

I absolutely NEVER use the spin attack in races. Use the side attack; it's much more effective and easy to aim. It's almost always a one-hit kill, and it doesn't slow you down like the spin attack does.

I only used the spin attack on the story mission where you have to beat what's-his-name in the orange car, and his "gang".

Oh, and I think I posted it before, but (IMO) the only ship in the game that doesn't suck is Mighty Typhoon. I've beaten Master with every goddamn one, and seriously, they all suck.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I absolutely NEVER use the spin attack in races. Use the side attack; it's much more effective and easy to aim. It's almost always a one-hit kill, and it doesn't slow you down like the spin attack does.

I only used the spin attack on the story mission where you have to beat what's-his-name in the orange car, and his "gang".

Good to know, thanks again! I can't wait to play some more tonight! I haven't even started Story mode. I wanted to play through the entire Grand Prix on Novice first.

Robin64

Honestly though, if you're going to use Nintendont (as all should, it's amazing), grab a GameCube Adapter and a GameCube controller.

Ezalc

Oh, and I think I posted it before, but (IMO) the only ship in the game that doesn't suck is Mighty Typhoon. I've beaten Master with every goddamn one, and seriously, they all suck.

I've gotten up to the last two cups (sans AX) using only the Little Wyvern. I don't see what's so bad about it :/ I tried using the two meteor ships since they have the same EBB setting but couldn't get used to them. Red Gazelle's was alright but every time I boost with it, it goes all over the damn place.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Honestly though, if you're going to use Nintendont (as all should, it's amazing), grab a GameCube Adapter and a GameCube controller.

I am using a Wii Classic Controller. I was doing alright with it, it has analog triggers and works well. Not as comfortable as the WiiU Pro , but gotta have those analog triggers, right?

Robin64

I am using a Wii Classic Controller. I was doing alright with it, it has analog triggers and works well. Not as comfortable as the WiiU Pro , but gotta have those analog triggers, right?

Yeah, I mean, it's okay. The triggers don't have as much as distance as the Cube ones do, but it's okay. But honestly, it's always better to play the games with their intended controller anyway. And the Mayflash adapter works fine, which is FAR cheaper than the official one.

And let's face it, the Cube controller is one of the best (and comfiest) controllers of all time.

ec0ec0

This was already discussed, but the game is perfectly playable without analog triggers. I mean, having analog triggers is "ideal" but... the wiiu pro controller is significanlty more comfortable than the wii classic controller... So, you've to take into consideration pros/cons and decide.

I use a gamecube controller :p

I've gotten up to the last two cups (sans AX) using only the Little Wyvern. I don't see what's so bad about it :/ I tried using the two meteor ships since they have the same EBB setting but couldn't get used to them. Red Gazelle's was alright but every time I boost with it, it goes all over the damn place.

I'd have to play again to know my specific complaints per ship, but my #1 complaint about...oh...90% of them is that they don't turn like a normal vehicle. They "pivot" in place and keep going straight. Hard to describe. And obviously, you just have to adjust and use the slide and drift turns, but it annoyed the hell out of me that they don't steer properly for less severe cornering.

The Mighty Typhoon goes exactly where you steer it. I could never quite believe that I couldn't find a single other ship that I liked. Mighty Typhoon's driver is lame as hell (not that most of the characters aren't, too).

Which one's Little Wyvern? Fox's dad's car? Yeah, maybe that one wasn't too bad.

I went back and started playing this game again last night after not having played it for years. I remembered it being really good, but this good?

The game had me hooked before the first race was done.

AKC12

I'd have to play again to know my specific complaints per ship, but my #1 complaint about...oh...90% of them is that they don't turn like a normal vehicle. They "pivot" in place and keep going straight. Hard to describe. And obviously, you just have to adjust and use the slide and drift turns, but it annoyed the hell out of me that they don't steer properly for less severe cornering.

The Mighty Typhoon goes exactly where you steer it. I could never quite believe that I couldn't find a single other ship that I liked. Mighty Typhoon's driver is lame as hell (not that most of the characters aren't, too).

Which one's Little Wyvern? Fox's dad's car? Yeah, maybe that one wasn't too bad.

It seems like Mighty Typhoon's unique steering is a result of a hidden stat called "Turn Reaction." Mighty Typhoon has the highest value in the entire game for this stat. Wild Goose, Mighty Hurricane, Mad Wolf and Hyper Speeder also have a high turn reaction. Here's the description of this attribute.

"This affects how much the initial part of a control-stick turn changes angle/position. It doesn't have much effect after you've already been turning for a fraction of a second.

High values make it harder to line up for dash plates. When you push the stick and then release it, you'll notice that you kind of bounce back; this is a key difference from Turn movement.

Low values = Quick turns kind of swing out wide. Wider MTS radius, and faster MTS speeds (probably because the radius makes your strafe direction and velocity direction closer).

High = doing a gentle turn looks more like a straight line path. Low = looks more like a circular arc."

I think most players including myself will find Mighty Typhoon's normal steering to be odd to drive. Still I think its steering is very good and well suited for newer players.

And obviously, not every machine sucks just because of a difference of preference in how a machine handles. I'd rank Mighty Typhoon a top 10-15 machine in the game. Its low weight, average top speed of 1030-1040 (compared to 1100+ of the top machines) really holds it back from being a great machine.

It seems like Mighty Typhoon's unique steering is a result of a hidden stat called "Turn Reaction." Mighty Typhoon has the highest value in the entire game for this stat. Wild Goose, Mighty Hurricane, Mad Wolf and Hyper Speeder also have a high turn reaction. Here's the description of this attribute.

"This affects how much the initial part of a control-stick turn changes angle/position. It doesn't have much effect after you've already been turning for a fraction of a second.

High values make it harder to line up for dash plates. When you push the stick and then release it, you'll notice that you kind of bounce back; this is a key difference from Turn movement.

Low values = Quick turns kind of swing out wide. Wider MTS radius, and faster MTS speeds (probably because the radius makes your strafe direction and velocity direction closer).

High = doing a gentle turn looks more like a straight line path. Low = looks more like a circular arc."

I think most players including myself will find Mighty Typhoon's normal steering to be odd to drive. Still I think its steering is very good and well suited for newer players.

Cool info, thanks. It's nice to know I'm not imagining things, and it really is a unique car.

I always assumed some "grip" stat was responsible for Mighty Typhoon not doing that infuriating "pivot" that so many other ships do, but maybe this odd stat is why. It's certainly true: a very, very gentle steer is almost like a strafe rather than a turn.

And obviously, when I say "every ship sucks", that's just my opinion. But I do like to think that 100% completing this game does lend some weight to it.

ec0ec0

Look at that high level answer :D Having AKC12 around is so cool haha And thanks to yoshifan for his hard work i guess :p

You simply don't use the spin attack lol

Although the CPU's spinning skills can get completely insane, the spin attack is bad. It has multiple drawbacks:
- as long as you're spinning (around two seconds) your movement options are greatly limited.
- you lose speed while spinning
- you can't simply kill other ships with one clean hit with it. That's not how it works. You can kill someone with one spin attack, but not with one hit. You'd have to spin next to them to continuously damage them until you kill them. Sometimes the CPUs can make that look easy but, in practice, you'll find that is not easy to stay really close to someone while spinning.

To be sure that you're getting the spin attack, move the analog stick + hit the spin attack button. Once you start the spin attack, your movement options are rather limited. To control your ship while spinning, move the analog stick + hold the trigger of that same direction. Doing that will give you a little better movement than simply moving the analog stick.

That's it for the spin attack. Time for side attacks.

Thankfully, all the CPUs use the mediocre spin attack instead of the godlike side attacks. Side attacks have a extremely fast startup/recovery. Furthermore, side attacks hit hard. After getting hit by one, your oponent will crash against the rail and die. Also, unlike the spin attack, using side attacks doesn't limit your movement options.

By default, your controller has side attacks assigned to the "x" button while brake is assigned to the "b" button. You're probably going to use side attacks frequently while, on the other hand, you're never going to brake. Furthermore, the "b" button is on a very accessible location while the "x" button is not. So, i'd suggest using the "b" button for side attacks instead. This is especially usefull for the gamecube controller, but it is also applicable to any controller you might be using.

To do a side attack you hit the analog stick + hit the side attack button, then you instantly release the analog stick (you let it go back to neutral position by itself).

As long as you're holding the "a" button, you can start a spin attack or a side attack. i think.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Awesome thanks again for the info and explanations guys! Looking forward to giving this game another "spin" this evening!

This game seriously needs an HD remake like LoZ:Windwaker HD. And I think it makes more sense to make an HD remake than a new game from the ground up altogether due to the low fanbase of f-zero.

What I think they should have down:
+HD visuals of course
+tone down storymode on very hard, or make AX characters easier to unlock(like not being unlocked via very hard mode on story) such as via hard mode on story or unlock via tokens/coins
+online multiplayer with at least 8 players, though 12 players online would be nice. Two players online co-op would be great.
-mii support with custom vehicles.
-more parts would be nice. Particularly via amiibo support (another thread mentioned samus, fox, etc)
+1080p(or at least 720p) with 60fps.
+having a 1st person view mode from the actual cockpit would be awesome

The actual grand prix wasn't all that bad on master mode. They should keep that difficulty.

Also, vehicle balancing, and it needs a bit of of an overhaul. Most of them were crap, so balance the awful ones.. And then you have Don Genie's Fat Shark that just ****s over everything else. It's like TT from Diddy Kong Racing from 64.. Needs a serious nerf.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/560617-f-zero-gx/faqs/55671

Top Bottom