• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Kill Bill (Tarantino's best film)

sjboi

I love Kill Bill, it has the best fight scenes ever! They just felt so... visceral. My favorite was Beatrice vs Vernita Green, followed by her fights with Elle and Gogo.

StygianElysia

Neo Member
Kill Bill and Mulholland Drive are my favorite movies of all time, but Kill Bill was the one that really transformed my life, so I give it the edge. It made me realize that film and TV are forms of art -- essentially literature given a moving visual medium. I actually started to care about themes, motifs, analogies, homages, etc., when I watched, whereas I hadn't really before then. (I had just turned 16, for a little context.)

Also, I would say it's pretty hard for a film ending to satisfy me (for a variety of reasons I'll not get into), but I LOVED the ending of Vol. 2. I felt so many emotions... I was still crying after the credits were over.

Multiple lists missing Death Proof. I know it has a reputation but *damn*!

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Jackie Brown
3. Kill Bill
4. Death Proof
5. The Hateful Eight
6. Reservoir Dogs
7. Inglorious Basterds
8. Django Unchained

Hesh

You'll probably never see volume 2 if you're waiting for that to get released. I'd suggest just watching volume 1 and then putting volume 2 right afterwards, there's not many changes and the biggest change isn't actually that impactful since you've already seen volume 1.

Eh, I've waited this long to see it how it was meant to be seen, I can keep waiting.

Best Tarantino film? I don't believe that, but it's certainly one of his most "energetic". The fighting and genres play tributes to are superb. It's a great "revenge" film. I prefer Volume 1 over 2, but I enjoy both.

I watched this and the sequel for the first time recently and hated them. I usually really enjoy Tarantino and recognise that he writes some awfully overwrought stuff but I get a lot of fun out of stuff like Basterds and even Jackie Brown. But some of the dialogue stuff in this felt like teenager stuff.

Most of Tarantino's stuff I wouldn't describe as overweight, more like over the top. Kill Bill's dialogue is a bit too much, but it still contains a lot of his snappy witty writing, which made him so popular.

IISANDERII

Its been years since I last watched Kill Bill, so I ended up watching it all last night. I always loved the movies, but after watching them both back to back, I think I had forgotten just how good they are.

I think before my rewatch, I would have been hard pushed to say whether I think Kill Bill, Django Unchained or Inglourious Basterds was Tarantino's best film (Pulp Fiction is also great, but somewhat unrefined compared to the 3 just mentioned). However, watching it again kinda confirms it as my favourite QT movie, and most likely one of my top 5 movies.

One of the biggest things I love about the movie, is how much of a love letter it is to cinema in general. It is a crazy mash up of different genres, styles, settings, and characters which are all brought together by a somewhat simplistic plot. I mean, QT gets a hell of a lot of millage out of what is essentially a revenge movie. Its kinda like he just went wild and decided to use every filmmakers tool and trick available. So if you have anything from a passing interest to an obsession with film, its an utter feast.

I mean look at all the different styles just going on in the first part:

Then the second part introduces kung fu training montages, western style sections, and more:

Then there is the music which is godly. I could go into that as well, but there is too much lol.

The film nails the ending too. Bill's death is probably one of my all time favourite death scenes. The lead up to it with their conversation really provides context for his actions, and come the time his death, there is a big sense of sadness and regret, despite it being necessary and inevitable.

The dialog was great too:

"You're not a bad person. You're a terrific person. You're my favourite person. But every once in a while... you can be a real cunt"

I also always appreciated the way he died as well. It wasn't loud, gory and brash, it was quiet, somewhat peaceful and reminded me of this:

The music during the scene also helped make the scene feel that little bit more powerful, and watching it since David Carradine passed away in 2009, has made the scene feel a lot more emotional too.

Lastly, I think it is often criminally overlooked in how successful it is at delivering a fucking bad ass female protagonist. I mean Mad Max Fury Road rightly got a bunch of praise for championing strong female characters, but I feel people often forget about Kill Bill.

Anyway, everyone should go watch it, especially if you haven't already.
I did a partial rewatch the other night and always find this line subtly brilliant:

”Pai Mai taught you the 5 Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique?”
“ ‘Course he did”

Top Bottom