• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Sonic CD (and why i think it's overrated)

Mzo

The levels were design the way they were because of time travel. If they just made stages more linear and closer to traditional 2D Sonic stages, the time travel gimmick wouldn't be so pointless as it is easy to gain momentum in any non-CD stage. Because of this, they encouraged exploration by making you find half pipes or double springs to time travel on.

I think it's a bit of a failure that a mechanic involving continuous speed in a Sonic game has to be activated by bouncing back and forth between two springs facing each other. It works well when it's a speed area like a tunnel that launches you in the end and lands you next to one of your past objectives, but those are more the exception than the rule.

My friends and I just talked about this game as well as Sonic 2 on our podcast if anyone wants to give it a listen. There was also a good amount of discussion in the Genesis/Mega Drive community thread.

I think it's a bit of a failure that a mechanic involving continuous speed in a Sonic game has to be activated by bouncing back and forth between two springs facing each other. It works well when it's a speed area like a tunnel that launches you in the end and lands you next to one of your past objectives, but those are more the exception than the rule.

My friends and I just talked about this game as well as Sonic 2 on our podcast if anyone wants to give it a listen. There was also a good amount of discussion in the Genesis/Mega Drive community thread.

There were plenty of ramps and loops that allowed you to gain speed and momentum.

The effect would only disappear on a failed speed attempt which meant you could travel where you needed to go (down a chute, or down a slide) before turning on the speed.

Crusader

Banned
I think a lot of it is backlash over how it got overhyped when you could only get it on the Sega CD; other people played it and realized it really WASN'T a cure for all ills and got really pissed at all the hype. Happened with Rondo of Blood and FFV too.

For the record, though, imperfect as it is (Future Levels are a waste and the finale is obviously unfinished and lame as hell), it's the best Sonic game. I love how it really makes the series' open-ended level design and sense of speed more than just gimicks.

jcjimher

Controversial opinion here: I liked Wacky Workbench. Of course it was a radical opposite of what Sonic games were supposed to be, but that was an interesting and fresh challenge for me (of course I wouldn't have liked a full game like that).

Other levels like Quartz Quadrant seemed to lack a clear concept IMO. And Tidal Tempest was another boring water level in the vein of Labyrinth Zone in Sonic 1, only with the added hassle of having to time travel and such.

Some other random things about the game I specially appreciate:

• Palmtree Panic background. The best of the first levels in the entire series IMO.
  • All of Collision Chaos art. Specially those neon flashing signs with alien characters on them.
  • The jump sound. Much cleaner and pleasing to the ear than the Genesis one
  • The rotating animation when Sonic jumped on a spring.
  • Most of the past level songs, and the fact they really sound ancient with the PCM samples. (JP/EU soundtrack here).

Globally I think more or less like most of you here. Sonic CD is an ok game, a bit better than Sonic 1 but far worse than 2 and 3&K.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, I don't think that Sonic CD is "overrated" anymore. People have been picking apart its numerous flaws for a while now.

But yeah, it's a collection of ill-conceived gimmicks and crappy level design. It's not terrible, but I have to go pretty far down the 2D Sonic list to find a game that is worse.

To be fair, I don't think that Sonic CD is "overrated" anymore. People have been picking apart its numerous flaws for a while now.

But yeah, it's a collection of ill-conceived gimmicks and crappy level design. It's not terrible, but I have to go pretty far down the 2D Sonic list to find a game that is worse.

At the very least, it's better than any Sonic game Dimps have ever done.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
At the very least, it's better than any Sonic game Dimps have ever done.

Sonic Advance 2 has arguably the most half-assed, "hold right and win" level design in the entire franchise and I still like it much more than CD.

The only 2D games I would put CD over are Rush Adventure, Sonic 4, what I played of Boom 3DS, and the Game Gear games.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
For some reason I enjoyed all 3 of the Advance games.

Azure J

Sonic CD had this mythical property unto itself for a long time because of limited availability to other people + a really crazy and pretty cool look unto itself. Once it became more readily available to people, they immediately saw that it really was one of those SEGA experiments that had some good ideas but a lot of jank unto itself.

At the very least, it still provides the best interpretation of Sonic the character with the GoAT intro and ending animations and Sonic Boom is still the GoAT character theme. :lol

Edit: I just realized you're dissing the Figure 8 running animation. :mad:

Azure J

They are good games. No, they are not the physics marvel that the Genesis Sonic games are, but they are more than competent platformers.

The first one actually had a good approximation (or even direct porting) of the Genesis physics. I just hated its visual style (and most of the visuals for the Advance series until 3). :lol

lazygecko

Third, i don't get the soundtrack differences in the US version. It just doesn't sound as good as the Jap/Eu version. On the other hand, the US version has the better intro song. It just bothers me that i can't have a "definite" soundtrack version :p

Sega of America decided to change the soundtrack almost at the very last minute. This was before electronic music was mainstream in America, and they thought the style of Sonic CD's music wouldn't resonate with people in the American market. Spencer Nielsen had very little time (I think it might have been as short as a month?) to redo the soundtrack.

It's a very mixed bag thanks to this. A lot of it always sounded really phoned in to me, and you can tell where all the effort went (all the US Stardust Speedway tracks are great for example). They didn't seem to have time to replace the Past music which remains in their original form.

Funny coincidence is I got the software version of Korg Wavestation a couple of years ago, which was a common synthesizer in the early 90's. Some of the presets are pre-fabricated loops, and one of them sounded really familiar. Turns out all of US Metallic Madness was pretty much made by just playing that loop at different pitches.
Soundtracks put together with loops is unfortunately common in the business when composers don't get the time they need. Not the first time I've discovered this kind of stuff when going through sample libraries and the likes.

Sonic Advance 2 has arguably the most half-assed, "hold right and win" level design in the entire franchise and I still like it much more than CD.

The only 2D games I would put CD over are Rush Adventure, Sonic 4, what I played of Boom 3DS, and the Game Gear games.
Sonic 4 murders CD IMO. Its sad to think that episode II is the sequel of CD. I never had that much fun with CD. But at the same time I appreciated the foreshadowing and connection.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
4? Really?

I played it for like 20 seconds. It felt... way off and goofy.

4? Really?

I played it for like 20 seconds. It felt... way off and goofy.
Yeah. 4 is one of those games you fight yourself on because of what it sells itself on vs the reality. Once you get used to it (Mad Gear Zone) and that soundtrack finally gets good you start to admit... despite how weird the shit feels..its actually good.

As for episode II the views are even more mixed. I'm in the camp that it was a indeed solid and good game, I improving on the flaws of the first episode outside of physics

Sonic CD feels poorly made and the level design is shit.

It's closer to Sonic 3D Blast in quality than 1,2,3 & K

I disagree. I can actually enjoy 3D Blast. Specifically the Saturn version. And the design doesn't feel unreasonable.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Sonic 4 murders CD IMO. Its sad to think that episode II is the sequel of CD. I never had that much fun with CD. But at the same time I appreciated the foreshadowing and connection.

Once upon a time, I thought that Sonic 4-1 was better than, or on par with CD. Not so much anymore. 4-1 is a thoroughly mediocre game that has absolutely no "soul." At least CD was trying.

I'd play CD five times before touching 4-2 and its shitty bosses again lol

There were a good number of areas where you could find just flat land to run on, but the catch was that you had to watch out for falls, enemies, or walls. Of course, they are harder to see and the game wants you to get creative with it.

Zophar

I think a lot of it is backlash over how it got overhyped when you could only get it on the Sega CD; other people played it and realized it really WASN'T a cure for all ills and got really pissed at all the hype. Happened with Rondo of Blood and FFV too.

For the record, though, imperfect as it is (Future Levels are a waste and the finale is obviously unfinished and lame as hell), it's the best Sonic game. I love how it really makes the series' open-ended level design and sense of speed more than just gimicks.

Rondo of Blood and FFV still enjoy relatively unanimous praise, though?

I will agree with the OP that I've never really enjoyed Sonic CD as much as the Genesis trilogy. The levels are pretty dull and repetitive, IMO.

Once upon a time, I thought that Sonic 4-1 was better than, or on par with CD. Not so much anymore. 4-1 is a thoroughly mediocre game that has absolutely no "soul." At least CD was trying.

I'd play CD five times before touching 4-2 and its shitty bosses again lol
On 4-1 I agree that its basically a cheap cash in.... but I had fun. This is why I said its like an inner fight. Me and my friends spent 75% of the game roasting it for how uninspired it was...but then I realized... I never stopped playing....then the mad gear zone music dropped and I was like,"Uh....Oh shit... I think I'm legitimately enjoying this."

This is why I actually appreciate 4-2 for not being 4-1.

The stages are creative and much more work was put in.

When you compliment a game because it wasn't like a much worse game...
You misunderstand. I complimented it for being an improvement. Sometimes your first game is mediocre, but a sequel that touches on everything that made the first game weak should always be applauded.

See All Stars Racing -> Transformed.

Although I feel that the driving mechanics were most def stronger and the items were a downgrade super star too. But people liked it.

MrBadger

When you compliment a game because it wasn't like a much worse game...

Slightly off topic but I've always found the consensus that 4.2 is the better of the two weird. The graphics are better and the physics don't let you stand on vertical slopes anymore but the level design's worse, the Tails gimmick is horribly implemented (and you can't even play as him without MP), the bosses are boring and the music is much more unfitting. People just think it's better because there are prettier things to look at in the background while the game carries you along from one boost pad to the next.

Slightly off topic but I've always found the consensus that 4.2 is the better of the two weird. The graphics are better and the physics don't let you stand on vertical slopes anymore but the level design's worse, the Tails gimmick is horribly implemented (and you can't even play as him without MP), the bosses are boring and the music is much more unfitting. People just think it's better because there are prettier things to look at in the background while the game carries you along from one boost pad to the next.
Because level gimmicks are important. To the design. You can have smooth runs and take different paths. Not to mention they weren't blatant rips of Sonic 2. The music I disagree. While its no Mega Drive soundtrack, its actually hype and poppin in its own sense. The bosses are a mix bag but there's also fun battles. The White Park Battle being the best.

And as for the tag abilities I think its good you can use Tails as a Twitch get out of hail free card. Although it can ruin your flow.

Sonic 4 is like a 2D Sonic Adventure 2 more or less.

xyzls

I can't remember where I read this, but the original intent for the game to not have the time travel cutscene, so no loading when you move between time. But then the CD medium screwed that idea over.

I wish they fixed that up and made it that way in the re-releases.

HTupolev

Funny coincidence is I got the software version of Korg Wavestation a couple of years ago, which was a common synthesizer in the early 90's. Some of the presets are pre-fabricated loops, and one of them sounded really familiar. Turns out all of US Metallic Madness was pretty much made by just playing that loop at different pitches.
Soundtracks put together with loops is unfortunately common in the business when composers don't get the time they need. Not the first time I've discovered this kind of stuff when going through sample libraries and the likes.
Prefabbed or not, the repetition is fairly obvious. But I'm not sure I'd call it "unfortunate" in this instance at least; I love the Metallic Madness US stuff.

I think I like it at least as much as the efforts on Stardust Speedway, mostly because the SS present music actually sort of grinds on my ears after a few minutes, although it has an absolutely perfect intro. Bad Future completely nails it, though.

It's the opposite..? They replaced MJ's sound byte with the Knuckles boss theme.

But I think that's what you meant to say.

In retrospect how was it not known that MJ worked on the soundtrack? I mean my god, there's a clear as day MJ scream in there. I guess we were awash in that attitude in music at the time, so it just sounded like the usual r&b.
Oh it was, derp.

I mean in retrospect I get why it was taken out, I just think it sounded a lot better than the '& Knuckles' theme they use way more now, probably because they own the rights proper to it.

Also Sonic CD is simultaonously overrated and underrated, it just depends where you go to talk about it. I love it a ton but I will absolutely admit I play it more like a wacky LSD-fueled playground more than a proper Sonic game due to its shit level design, and the presentation/music/aesthetics are absolutely where I wish the series had gone down in the future instead of the realistic angle S3&K started to introduce we're only now just getting out of.

n0razi

I got this game through a CD-ROM/Soundcard bundle I believe back in the 90's... it also came with an anime CD called RG Veda?.... Anyone else know what im talking about>?

You misunderstand. I complimented it for being an improvement. Sometimes your first game is mediocre, but a sequel that touches on everything that made the first game weak should always be applauded.

See All Stars Racing -> Transformed.

Although I feel that the driving mechanics were most def stronger and the items were a downgrade super star too. But people liked it.

No I understood what you were saying.

I was trying to say that it wasn't much of a compliment seeing how low the bar is to be better than Episode 1. I don't find Episode 2 to be a big improvement to the initial mess, but it did have some improvements.

When you put it that way, I don't know is worse anymore. Why you do this to me. -.-

Mzo

There were plenty of ramps and loops that allowed you to gain speed and momentum.

The effect would only disappear on a failed speed attempt which meant you could travel where you needed to go (down a chute, or down a slide) before turning on the speed.

Are we talking the original on Sega CD that requires 5 secs, or the PC/Sonic Gems version that require 3 secs of uninterrupted travel? It's kind of a hassle on the Sega CD. I've beaten the game with a good future by both finishing the bonus stages and finding every destructible object. I can do it; it's just not that great a mechanic because of the horrid level design.

Haven't tried the Taxman version on XBLA/PSN but with his attention to detail I'd expect it to be 5 secs (or a toggle.)

There were a good number of areas where you could find just flat land to run on, but the catch was that you had to watch out for falls, enemies, or walls. Of course, they are harder to see and the game wants you to get creative with it.

It punishes you for trying to "get creative with it." The ability can disappear if it's nearly activated before failure (which most levels are set up to do at many intervals), there are usually a butt-ton more Future signs than Past signs to the point where it's easy to accidentally overwrite it and lose it. The game encourages you to slowly explore until you find a sure-fire way to activate time travel and then stick with it. That's the opposite of creativity. You develop a fear of going fast and losing the Past ability or, once in the past, somehow accidentally activating the Future ability that you will undoubtedly run into.

I think the level design and the game design are at odds with each other. Too busy. Hard to see how people can rate this as their favorite Genesis-era Sonic unless they generally dislike the way that Sonic plays. Not a bad game but a confused one.

I agree with you to a certain extent - I could never get into Sonic CD. The level design was... strange? I guess?... and the whole time travel mechanic was not interesting or good.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is the best classic sonic game.

No I understood what you were saying.

I was trying to say that it wasn't much of a compliment seeing how low the bar is to be better than Episode 1. I don't find Episode 2 to be a big improvement to the initial mess, but it did have some improvements.

That depends own what you expected and wanted.

When Sonic 4 was announced I didn't want it because I wasn't interested in nostalgia and 3D Sonic was in a better place.

Like I grew up in the Genesis/MD era and got to appreciate all the games except CD (Didn't play till I was 16) but more or less I didn't see going back to 2D design as progress despite how much I liked the original trilogy. When the gameplay vids were released, hell even in the initial trailer/teaser I knew people were going in over their heads with their hopes and expectations of it being anlther another "true Genesis entry" despite the writing on the wall was clearly Dumps design.

End result, those with high expectations got disappointed and I who had little to no expectations or interest wasn't pleasantly surprised by how fun it actually was.

That's why for me I don't see Episode 1 as pure trash, mediocre? Yes. But was still fun. So to me a game improving in its sequel after a mediocre first entry is pretty good. Especially when it could've been more of a cheap cash in.

Thus I give Episode 2 praise.

Surta

Secondly, i really hated the time travel cutscene. Every few seconds the game would just interrupt to show this thing. Maybe to load from the CD? I don't know. If the transition was instant with a fast flashing or swoop animation to portray the change, it would be so much better.

I agree. And yes, it was done because of CD loading times, and perhaps also to hide artifacts from the graphics tiles changing.
If you have the Windows 95 PC version of Sonic CD, you can play it without the cutscene and with near instantaneous time travel.

Lastly, i didn't like how Sonic CD re-used Sonic 1 assets, even though it was released after Sonic 2.

Time of release doesn't say much there, Sonic CD was developed in parallel with Sonic 2, and I've always considered it as a kind of "Sonic 1.5". There's even a hidden bonus image of Tails in the game with the text "see you next game".

Sonic CD was made in Japan, directed by Naoto Ohshima (Sonic's character designer), while 2 was made in the US by Yuji Naka (original lead programmer), Hirokazu Yasuhara (the original level designer), and others.

It punishes you for trying to "get creative with it." The ability can disappear if it's nearly activated before failure (which most levels are set up to do at many intervals), there are usually a butt-ton more Future signs than Past signs to the point where it's easy to accidentally overwrite it and lose it. The game encourages you to slowly explore until you find a sure-fire way to activate time travel and then stick with it. That's the opposite of creativity. You develop a fear of going fast and losing the Past ability or, once in the past, somehow accidentally activating the Future ability that you will undoubtedly run into.

I think the level design and the game design are at odds with each other. Too busy. Hard to see how people can rate this as their favorite Genesis-era Sonic unless they generally dislike the way that Sonic plays. Not a bad game but a confused one.

Guess I'll just agree with you. lol

I haven't played the game in a while so I totally forgot how stages operated and what issues I have with the game. I do know some of what you are saying is what I find in later stages where obstructions and time posts are thrown around more liberally.

PKrockin

I find Sonic CD more fun to replay than my favorite 3&K usually. For someone like me who's played the Genesis Sonic games a hundred times over the years, the extremely open ended and challenging level design packed full of obstacles is more interesting now that I've mastered Sonic's physics. 2 and 3&K are more straightforward and easy. I'm also one of those crazy people who likes to explore the levels more slowly and try to make all kinds of tricky jumps for the hell of it. Sonic CD is more of a playground than a roller coaster to me.

The special stages are also by far the best. Not to mention the awesome cartoon intro and ending. That's Sonic's best design IMO.

Mzo

I don't remember Sonic CD having a spin dash. I thought he did a figure 8 dash.

Up and any button is the peel out, which is actually really cool.

Down and any button is the shittiest spin dash ever. It looks ugly and has to be revved up until you lock in place and the screen scrolls all the way right or else it just cancels. Awful.

Up and any button is the peel out, which is actually really cool.

Down and any button is the shittiest spin dash ever. It looks ugly and has to be revved up until you lock in place and the screen scrolls all the way right or else it just cancels. Awful.
Its hilarious because they brought that shit back for Heroes and Shadow. Or maybe they were just shitty spin dashes.

Imbarkus

I actually really liked the U.S. Sonic CD soundtrack. I would bring the disc in to work and listen to the Redbook audio while making motion graphics. Did this with Eternal Champions too.

nkarafo

SEdit: I just realized you're dissing the Figure 8 running animation. :mad:
Only because of the hanging hands. The "figure 8" animation doesn't bother me.

I never played a 2D Sonic as broken as 4. Feels like a game with unfinished, buggy physics thrown in.

And yes, it was done because of CD loading times, and perhaps also to hide artifacts from the graphics tiles changing.
Yeah, i guess the CD loading was unavoidable but the artifacts could be easily fixed with a fast transitional animation.

Time of release doesn't say much there, Sonic CD was developed in parallel with Sonic 2, and I've always considered it as a kind of "Sonic 1.5". There's even a hidden bonus image of Tails in the game with the text "see you next game".

Sonic CD was made in Japan, directed by Naoto Ohshima (Sonic's character designer), while 2 was made in the US by Yuji Naka (original lead programmer), Hirokazu Yasuhara (the original level designer), and others.
That's good and all but back in the day i wasn't aware of this information. Sonic CD was released after Sonic 2, on a supposedly more powerful system. Sonic 2 sprites and animation was improved over Sonic 1 and the spin dash animation was beyond cool at the time. Looking at Sonic CD after Sonic 2 felt cheap.

(This is an amalgamation of previous posts on Sonic CD)

Sonic CD is a game I used to think was garbage, coming from S3K, Sonic 2, etc. I thought it was a point-missing, confusing mess. After a while I actually tried to get Good Future on each act and realised it was pure genius. It's a wonderful game.

A lot of complaints about Sonic CD can be resolved by learning how to play it correctly. Understand its mechanics, its goals and how to achieve them, and the game transforms. I didn't used to like it either. Now I boot it up frequently, even if it's just to Good Future Palmtree Panic. God, it's bliss. Definitely a top-tier 2D platformer. Something completely unique.

It's a weird discussion to get into. Someone says it has "terrible level design, horrible" or some such thing, someone who understands how to play the game comes in and says "actually, er, it's all designed very carefully around exploration, finding a 'winning line' and exploiting it", but there's no point because the people who have written the game off will never, ever return to it. I'm really glad that I took the time to learn how to play and am now hugely appreciative of it.

If you're playing it left to right, sure, it sucks. If you're playing to win, then no, it's an intricate, revelatory masterpiece. I could write an essay about the brilliance of that game's levels. But I won't, because that would be stupid.

It's like a puzzle box and when it clicks, it's just so utterly satisfying. I adore it.

Ferr986

(This is an amalgamation of previous posts on Sonic CD)

Sonic CD is a game I used to think was garbage, coming from S3K, Sonic 2, etc. I thought it was a point-missing, confusing mess. After a while I actually tried to get Good Future on each act and realised it was pure genius. It's a wonderful game.

A lot of complaints about Sonic CD can be resolved by learning how to play it correctly. Understand its mechanics, its goals and how to achieve them, and the game transforms. I didn't used to like it either. Now I boot it up frequently, even if it's just to Good Future Palmtree Panic. God, it's bliss. Definitely a top-tier 2D platformer. Something completely unique.

It's a weird discussion to get into. Someone says it has "terrible level design, horrible" or some such thing, someone who understands how to play the game comes in and says "actually, er, it's all designed very carefully around exploration, finding a 'winning line' and exploiting it", but there's no point because the people who have written the game off will never, ever return to it. I'm really glad that I took the time to learn how to play and am now hugely appreciative of it.

If you're playing it left to right, sure, it sucks. If you're playing to win, then no, it's an intricate, revelatory masterpiece. I could write an essay about the brilliance of that game's levels. But I won't, because that would be stupid.

It's like a puzzle box and when it clicks, it's just so utterly satisfying. I adore it.

dillon-you-son-of-a-bitch-o.gif

Top Bottom