• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Sonic CD (and why i think it's overrated)

(This is an amalgamation of previous posts on Sonic CD)

Sonic CD is a game I used to think was garbage, coming from S3K, Sonic 2, etc. I thought it was a point-missing, confusing mess. After a while I actually tried to get Good Future on each act and realised it was pure genius. It's a wonderful game.

A lot of complaints about Sonic CD can be resolved by learning how to play it correctly. Understand its mechanics, its goals and how to achieve them, and the game transforms. I didn't used to like it either. Now I boot it up frequently, even if it's just to Good Future Palmtree Panic. God, it's bliss. Definitely a top-tier 2D platformer. Something completely unique.

It's a weird discussion to get into. Someone says it has "terrible level design, horrible" or some such thing, someone who understands how to play the game comes in and says "actually, er, it's all designed very carefully around exploration, finding a 'winning line' and exploiting it", but there's no point because the people who have written the game off will never, ever return to it. I'm really glad that I took the time to learn how to play and am now hugely appreciative of it.

If you're playing it left to right, sure, it sucks. If you're playing to win, then no, it's an intricate, revelatory masterpiece. I could write an essay about the brilliance of that game's levels. But I won't, because that would be stupid.

It's like a puzzle box and when it clicks, it's just so utterly satisfying. I adore it.
Actually attempting to play it right began my irritation for it, then I realized it even felt like a chore to play even when trying to play straight forward. Maybe its more rewarding when you know where everything is, but just going through a blind play through doesn't feel rewarding at all.

Krejlooc did a write up a while back that was a good defense of the game and explained how the game had some reasoning behind its oddball design, but even still I feel like the end result wasn't as brilliant as the concept seemed.

SkylineRKR

OG Sonic CD had mediocre gameplay. The remaster is much better.

Sonic CD is more about exploration than other classic Sonic games. When I dropped the Sonic 2/3 mindset (Sonic CD is less about running to the right and just making it to the goal) I came to terms with this game and enjoyed finding all its secrets and good futures.

Crusader

Banned
Rondo of Blood and FFV still enjoy relatively unanimous praise, though?

I will agree with the OP that I've never really enjoyed Sonic CD as much as the Genesis trilogy. The levels are pretty dull and repetitive, IMO.

They do now but when they first came out here/it wasn't a humongous hassle to pirate them, everyone and their cat was lining up to comment about how overhyped they were.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Not kidding, I was literally listening to a Sonic CD song right when I spotted this topic (Quartz Quadrant Japanese version).

Not my favorite Sonic game, but I'm in the like it crowd, but due to its level design, I feel it's a love it/hate it game, the design is very unorthodox and to some it will feel random, but there's actually some interesting thought put into the levels, it's just... Very different and very abstract. Actually somewhat designed with speed running in mind and learning the stages, but also allowing exploration and secrets to be found.

Bosses are likewise odd, but unique.

Krejlooc

Banned
Sonic CD is brilliant and by far my favorite Sonic game. The aesthetic is the best in the series in my opinion, taking the abstract and neon nature of Sonic 1 to the extreme - Sonic 2 and on wards really changed the art direction towards things that were more grounded in comparison.

What makes Sonic CD so absolutely amazing to me is it's approach to Sonic design. Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles are built with a philosophy of layered, linear levels that are stacked one on top of each other, that periodically come together. The intersecting tubes of Chemical Plant zone basically epitomize the concept:

SrTg0a9.png

What this linear style enables is a system of beats where the level design will heavily encourage actions that will build momentum. Dips in the road that, if you're good, you'll realize that rolling into them will push you through the segment faster, or that barreling through a series of loops without interrupting your momentum will sling you up a ramp high enough to join a different path through the level. In fact that word "path" has become almost synonymous with great Sonic level design.

Sonic CD has no paths. It is completely free form. If Sonic 2 and 3 and Knuckles were obstacle courses, then Sonic CD is a skate park. This is reflected in the general shape of the stages - Sonic 2 and especially Sonic 3 and Knuckles have long, rectangular shaped stages with heavy emphasis on horizontal movement. Sonic CD's levels are enormous and tall and shaped like huge boxes. They don't contain paths but instead contain tons and tons of very unique objects, any of which you can trick off of in the same ways the paths in Sonic 2 onwards would force you to. By recognizing how the physics work for the series, Sonic CD becomes this amazing experience that feels more like parkour than anything else. When you play Sonic CD correctly, you glide through the stages, both horizontally and vertically, with absolute ease.

This added emphasis on vertical ability is reflected in the only real changes Sonic CD makes to the Sonic engine. All the Sonic games are built off of the same engine, but each game makes small tweaks along the way. Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles tweak the engine in iterative, progressive ways, but Sonic CD mainly sticks to the engine as Sonic 1 saw it except with regards to how it considers air movement. Sonic CD changes the way you build momentum in the air and how your momentum is stored in the air that lets you accelerate mid-are in pretty much the same way you do on the ground. This has the effect of making you feel like you are running (or rolling, thus breaking the speed cap) mid-air rather than jumping.

A lot of the complaints about Sonic CD, I flat out do not get. The sign posts, as an example. I don't understand how people can't control the ability to change time zones at will. It's pretty easy to force your time post to disappear once you grab one, and you should be able to control your speed well enough to basically get to decide when and where you want to go in the game. The multiple time periods are really what make Sonic CD so great - these huge zones are multiplied by four. I don't think some of the detractors ever actually sat down and explored these zones.

And exploration is why you play Sonic CD. Not to race to the end of the stage. You play it because you love the Sonic physics and want to try out all these unique obstacles Sonic CD has to let you further play with the physics. Sonic CD has a lot of platforms and obstacles that challenge your mastery of Sonic's physics in ways no other game in the series does. When you play Sonic CD right, it looks sublime.

This is what Sonic CD looks like when you play it correctly

Constantly moving, with ease, in virtually every direction. It's like one long combo, you never stop interacting with things. Playing like that is actually pretty challenging, and the free form nature of the acts means it's very easy to basically "groove" in the game and just make up your own routes. I love Sonic CD because, even after decades of playing, no two playthroughs are the same for me. I still constantly find new ways to tackle the levels, because the ways you can get through them are basically infinite.

I think the claims about narrative surrounding the game are weak deflections from detractors. My opinion wasn't made because the game was "rare" (it wasn't rare, by the way). I played all the Sonic games in order as they released. Sonic CD blew me away the day I got it. It epitomizes everything right about "CD games" and what they were supposed to bring to the table. It was everything I liked about the series before, but just way, way, way more. Like what I liked before, but to the nth degree. I feel the exact same way about Rondo of Blood. I felt like Sonic CD was an enormous improvement over Sonic 2 and, at the time, I felt like it was more in line with Sonic 1, which is the game I had played much more at the time. I remember actually being extremely disappointed with Sonic 3 because it wasn't like Sonic CD. Sonic & Knuckles is what ultimately brought me around on Sonic 3. Playing up admiration of Sonic CD like it's some sort of badge of pride is lame. I could just as easily accuse detractors of being blind as to the obvious reason why they can't breeze through a Sonic title they've played only recently and a handful of times like they can the classics they've played thousands of times over the decades. You may have forgotten it, but part of the joy in Sonic games is that "just one more time" mentality. They're designed almost like arcade titles.

I will forever love Sonic CD. I actually prefer the Sega CD original over Tax's port (although I love Tax's port) because Tax's port has a few physics and timing changes that only extremely hardcore people notice that changes my playstyle enough to annoy me. I've seen people wish for an open world, free form sonic game before on these and other forums. Sonic CD is basically that.

Branduil

(This is an amalgamation of previous posts on Sonic CD)

Sonic CD is a game I used to think was garbage, coming from S3K, Sonic 2, etc. I thought it was a point-missing, confusing mess. After a while I actually tried to get Good Future on each act and realised it was pure genius. It's a wonderful game.

A lot of complaints about Sonic CD can be resolved by learning how to play it correctly. Understand its mechanics, its goals and how to achieve them, and the game transforms. I didn't used to like it either. Now I boot it up frequently, even if it's just to Good Future Palmtree Panic. God, it's bliss. Definitely a top-tier 2D platformer. Something completely unique.

It's a weird discussion to get into. Someone says it has "terrible level design, horrible" or some such thing, someone who understands how to play the game comes in and says "actually, er, it's all designed very carefully around exploration, finding a 'winning line' and exploiting it", but there's no point because the people who have written the game off will never, ever return to it. I'm really glad that I took the time to learn how to play and am now hugely appreciative of it.

If you're playing it left to right, sure, it sucks. If you're playing to win, then no, it's an intricate, revelatory masterpiece. I could write an essay about the brilliance of that game's levels. But I won't, because that would be stupid.

It's like a puzzle box and when it clicks, it's just so utterly satisfying. I adore it.
I don't doubt it's a great experience once you've mastered the game, but it's still valid to complain about the slog before you reach that point. The other Genesis-era Sonics also improve with mastery, the difference is that it can still be enjoyable for a noob as well.

Not a question of mastery, just playing the game with the goal of getting a good future. Of course it's a different experience when you know where everything is, but it's the journey that's enjoyable.

Krejlooc

Banned
Because it's not about knowing where every object in the game is, its about being able to adapt to them as they come to you and go with the flow. Sonic cd is so huge that it's really not possible to remember every object layout in the game. It's more about learning the mechanics than learning the levels themselves.

The guy is suggesting people try getting good futures because it provides an easy, built in mechanic to get people thinking about ways to explore the game beyond "get to the goal."

Another good way to exlore the game - try playing every single zone entirely in the bad future.

Because it's not about knowing where every object in the game is, its about being able to adapt to them as they come to you and go with the flow. Sonic cd is so huge that it's really not possible to remember every object layout in the game. It's more about learning the mechanics than learning the levels themselves.
I think there's something flawed with that. At a basic level Sonic isn't a hard game to play, well the Genesis games. Most of it require reading context clues of the stage design and simple mechanics like roll, spin dash, and timed jumps. With this in mind Sonic games seem to flow naturally and are fun. We feel as if we have control over what we're doing and it leaves a rewarding feeling.

In CD, for basic level considering all of these simple and accessible mechanics with the added peel out, not much feels right. And it gets to the point where things like the roboticizer and hologram metal are just pains to accomplish on a stage that already feels like a pain in the ass. I believe you can play it to a point where it feels good and rewarding
like Sonic R
but its hard to look at it as a great game when it reaches that point.

That's why its hard for me to compliment the game or its design when I'm constantly reminded how painful it is to play it. One of the most undeniably important elements to Sonic games besides mechanics and control is level design and I often wonder can you expect people to find it satisfying? Like some defenses really make Sonic CD seem more like solving Da Vinci's code than what it really is. Sonic games have their unique depth but that comes along with accessibility, perhaps that's the real flaw?

Top Bottom