• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Soul Eater (Why does no one ever talk about it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

a85be7e6735d826bded496adc141c66e.jpg

The Best

EGOMON

I remember everyone saying the ending sucked, which admittedly it did, though I think it was an anime original type of deal.

Other than that though, it was a solid ass show, just not usually in the conversation of anime I like to recommend. I dunno why, it just... isn't.

Also fuck Excalibur.
Bakama!!

EGOMON

I loved the anime but that ending made me forget about the whole show.
Death The Kid one of my all time favourite anime characters. That episode when he was in a mission with his two guns in Egypt then remembered that a wall picture in his was not symmetrical and had to go all the way back to fix it was damn hilarious 😂

The manga was created by one of the Fullmetal Alchemist creator's assistant and the whole thing feels like a "diet FMA" because of that plus I got bored after the halfway point.

Could somebody spoiler text the differences between the anime and manga?

Is the manga still worth reading after already watching the anime?

Oh man, is it good? I know nothing about it but I've heard its name quite a bit over the years. I just passed it the Anime Strike list on Amazon Video and was wondering if I should check it out. I kind of want a fun shonen to binge since I caught up on My Hero Academia and can only watch that week by week.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't know, the show never really got its claws into me like other shonens. I remember being into it when it first started airing but I lost track of it. I remember hearing all the complaints about the ending and just never bothered to catch up.

Really wish we had a lot more of Kilik, liked him a lot more than Black Star.

kilik_colo_by_poukis6.png

Could somebody spoiler text the differences between the anime and manga?

Is the manga still worth reading after already watching the anime?
The anime is a really faithful adaptation of the manga and the changes only really start with the Mosquito fight when looking for brew. Before that point the only differences I can think of are when Free runs out of prison the battle with the guards is more graphic, Maka uses Tsubaki for a bit since she couldn't use Soul for a while when she fights Free, and that Ragnarok
became small because Shinigami-sama took all the souls he had collected.
Edit: Just remembered the biggest one :p in the manga the people that the meisters hunt for are serial killers and the like, while the anime they're depicted more like being monsters that eat souls.

I'd say that the manga is still worth a read even after seeing the anime, so if you want to continue the perfect point would be to read from Volume 10 chapter 37: "Brew"- The Tempest (Part 4) onwards.

pbayne

The ending of both the manga and anime are terrible. Seriously it dosen't need or warrant a brotherhood style remake.

Plus that spin-off really sucked too.

I can't believe someone revived this thread

I had to give your old thread a pity post. LOL

The anime is a really faithful adaptation of the manga and the changes only really start with the Mosquito fight when looking for brew. Before that point the only differences I can think of are when Free runs out of prison the battle with the guards is more graphic, Maka uses Tsubaki for a bit since she couldn't use Soul for a while when she fights Free, and that Ragnarok
became small because Shinigami-sama took all the souls he had collected.
Edit: Just remembered the biggest one :p in the manga the people that the meisters hunt for are serial killers and the like, while the anime they're depicted more like being monsters that eat souls.

I'd say that the manga is still worth a read even after seeing the anime, so if you want to continue the perfect point would be to read from Volume 10 chapter 37: "Brew"- The Tempest (Part 4) onwards.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I really enjoyed it. Kind of hard to ding an anime for having a bad ending when so few have endings that are actually satisfying.

Shame the awesome opening and end credits get cut down in the dub.

I loved this show years ago when I watched it. One of the few shows (this, FLCL and DBZ) that I bought any merch for. I still have that soul headband :D

Reivaxe

The story took a damn nose dive in both Manga and Anime after the half way point and it just went for style over substance. Power scaling was also pretty damn whacky and made no sense.

Ocara

Really enjoyed when i watched back in college when it was being released in japanese. Dont remember much but all the characters were stylish and had neat designs. Tons of good action scenes and i seem to recall thinking black star was awesome.

I'm someone who easily gets soured on an entire series of the ending isn't good...Soul Eater's ending wasn't good in my opinion.

I loved the concept, but it lost its way during the
Books Arc
. Maybe a little before it.

duckroll

I guess it's just kinda like AVATAR but less popular. Flashy, good action, but ultimately unmemorable and not worth talking about.

phaze

First 26 eps are good, Igarashi humour, good production values, overall artstyle - the second half is sadly much weaker, with animation weakening, dissapointing villains and character arcs. The very last few eps regain the spark but then sadly that ending comes and slaps you in a face.

But it's still an above average shounen, with godlike Openings and good EDs, I'd probably put it in my 2nd or 3rd spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom