• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Black and White is basically the Final Fantasy 13 of Pokemon, every route seems to be an encounter with a rival or Team Plasma with barely anytime to just explore leisurely.

Nah, this sounds like Gen 2 to me. I absolutely hated the games for that gen - HG/SS/GSC are the only Pokemon games I haven't been able to complete because of the poor pacing and horrible level scaling. It felt to me that they removed a lot of depth from Johto itself by adding 2 regions.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
XY in general is a step up in animation.

Yep, people in the show now react properly. Gym fights look incredible. Most of the attacks looks cool.

The real change has been in the writing though. Much snappier paced, quick witted, funny at points. New characters have more interesting motivations for doing what they're doing. Everyone is a lot less wooden.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Honestly the low Pokémon count in gen 6 wouldn't be so bad had they not been outnumbered by the older Pokémon.

I mean seriously did Kalos really need 3 regional Pokédex each with 150 Pokémon?

Without cross gen evolution and with them being outnumbered by older Pokémon, the small number count doesn't help them stand out.

Gen 6 was the first time I struggled to remember the new Pokémon as I barely saw them so they didn't stick with me.

People had trouble making a full Kalos team in X/Y? Odd. I found that to be easy, and I even have one lined up for Z. I just need to decide between Dragalge/Malamar and Talonflame/Pyroar.

I do agree that they added too few though. Since I limit myself to Pokemon introduced in that region megas might as well not have existed until ORAS for me.

When I created my Y team I centered it around Charizard, which meant I had to build the team around him.

So I needed a water Pokémon and since I was playing Y this meant that Greninja was my only option as Barbaracle is a physical attack and not a special attacker, Clawitzer was exclusive to X and Skrelp loses its water typing once it evolves. So this meant that Greninja was on my team because I chose him but rather I had no choice and I had to use him if I wanted to use a gen 6 special attacker water Pokémon.

This meant that my entire team had to restructured and Chesnaught got cut because of that.

I love how everyone's opinions on the generations are all different. Every one of them has fans (and haters).

Which is why we all subscribe my way my superior way of thinking, I will not steer us wrong and I love all 721 Pokémon and each gen equally. :)

No, that was the worst part about Black and White and GF probably realized the same considering they filled the sequels and XY with a large amount of older Pokemon.

New Pokemon are supposed to compliment the old ones not completely replace them. I hope Z or whatever comes out gives us a 500+ Pokemon regional dex. A larger dex means AI trainer also have a larger selection of Pokemon to use. Old games get tiring quickly since everyone has the same 2 or 3 Pokemon.

I didn't mind Unova having only new Pokémon as it gave a sense that Unova was region was far from the past region we been thus had a very different ecosystem.

No they aren't, not in the new region. The new pokemon in the new region should be the emphasis, the old ones should serve as a support if there is a particular type that has a lesser amount, but in no way should the old pokemon take center stage otherwise we just get something like Johto again where the new pokemon are completely overshadowed by returning favorites.

Having only new pokemon be available to people in B/W was great, it stopped people from not giving any of the new ones a fair chance and sticking to their old favorites. But people bitched and then in gen 6 we got the shit show with little new pokemon and a gen1 dick ride through France. The correct thing to do is a mix, with mostly new pokemon and very little old ones available initially just to supplement them.

This pretty much, Kalos felt like Johto 2.0 but only this time it didn't need Kanto to shove the gen 1 pandering in your face.

I don't mind the idea on paper, but in practice it resulted in an incredible amount of filler. Did we really need Swanna? Or another dream-eating tapir? Did the route 1 bird and rodent really need to be based on a rat and pidgeon again? If you're going to finally have a generation with no Zubats and Geodudes in the caves, why the hell do you make another bat and trade-evolution rock monster to fill exactly the same roles? Why do you get rid of Chansey and make another very similar replacement? Couldn't they have mixed it up a little? Gen V was at least 70% just new takes on old designs, and felt devoid of original ideas for the most part.

I have used a Roggenrola and he does not feel like a Geodude clone to me, in fact none of the gen 5 Pokémon felt like clones to me and they all felt unique.

And yes we did needed Swanna as she was in my Black 2 team.

Nah, this sounds like Gen 2 to me. I absolutely hated the games for that gen - HG/SS/GSC are the only Pokemon games I haven't been able to complete because of the poor pacing and horrible level scaling. It felt to me that they removed a lot of depth from Johto itself by adding 2 regions.

Yeah Kanto really stole a lot of the spotlight from Johto and compressed the route so Johto just ends up flying by.

Which why I was really impressed with Sinnoh as by nature it was like Johto where it was an expansion of an older generation but unlike Johto it was able to stand on its two feet as it wasn't sharing the spotlight with another region.

Yep, people in the show now react properly. Gym fights look incredible. Most of the attacks looks cool.

The real change has been in the writing though. Much snappier paced, quick witted, funny at points. New characters have more interesting motivations for doing what they're doing. Everyone is a lot less wooden.

Still feels the same to me but only this time Ash has a boring team.

cHinzo

I, for one, love the older Pokemons. Thats why gen 6 was so great. Lots of oldies coupled with some awesome new ones. Only problem I had was the easy difficulty of the game and the linear roads/story. Hardly anything to explore, really. I hope they add some more places to explore in gen 7.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
JJE3gnZ.png

#408 - Cranidos
Rock

While in the past the Fossil Pokemon of Generation I and III didn't appear till around the end of the PokeDex, in Sinnoh the two Fossil families---Cranidos and Shieldon---appear very early on, and this is no coincidence as Fossils are quite easy to obtain in Diamond and Pearl. One of the neatest new features of Diamond and Pearl was the Sinnoh Underground, a cool little feature that allowed you to explore below Sinnoh alongside (local) friends, with a lot of little features I never got to experience since nobody I knew actually owned the game who lived near me. But beyond this, the best feature about the Underground was all the cool items you could easily dig up including Evolution Stones, Heart Scales, and of course Fossils. Before you obtain the National Dex, there are only two Fossils that can be found, both of them new to Diamond and Pearl: the Skull Fossil, and the Armor Fossil. While in the past games you had to pick between the two, here the Fossil you can find is Version Exclusive, Skull to Diamond and Armor to Pearl, whereas in Platinum the one you get is based on whether your Trainer ID is odd or even. The good news is you can dig up unlimited amounts of your Fossil, and since they're now regular items as opposed to Key Items, you can trade for the other Fossil via Wi-Fi. You first obtain access to the Underground around Gym 2, and the Fossil Revival Machine is located back around Gym 1, so with a little bit of patience and backtracking you can score your own Fossil Pokemon early on and use it for the adventure! And after obtaining the National Dex, you have access to unlimited amount of the classic Gen I/Gen III Fossils! That rocks!

Revived via the Skull Fossil, Cranidos is unique among the Fossil Pokemon as he's the only one who is pure-Rock---which is pretty unique in itself as when he debuted, there were only three pure-Rock Pokemon previously. He's also unique as he has the highest Attack of all unevolved Pokemon at 125, though to balance this out all of his other stats, including Speed, are rather subpar so good luck taking advantage of that. In Diamond and Pearl, he also didn't learn a STAB move till Level 28, and a Special-one at that, so despite the high Attack you might consider passing him over. He's kind of not all that good, though it's still cool to go through the adventure using a dinosaur so do what you like!

So, excluding Generation II, every Generation so far has had a Rock-type Pokemon as its initial "Boss" used by the first Gym Leader---Generation I had Onix, while Generation III had Nosepass. Both Pokemon were similar due to the fact that they were final form Pokemon (at the time of their introduction), yet surprisingly weak all things considered and didn't really have much to stop your due to their low Attack scores, the biggest issue (especially for Onix) was getting through their defenses, and it basically came down to simply using the right Type Pokemon. With Generation IV, though Onix actually is used by the Rock-type Gym Leader Roark his signature Pokemon happens to be Cranidos and thus it serves as the first "Boss". Cranidos I don't remember being too difficult, though unlike Onix and Nosepass his Attack is so high that if you let him get a hit in (he ignores STAB in favor of Headbutt mainly or Pursuit) your Pokemon might possibly faint, so there's a slight challenge here. Add the fact that both Roark's Geodude and Onix know Stealth Rock, it's possible this Gym Leader might take you by surprise. Ironically, the Fire Starter probably has the best luck here---if you take in account the player would have their Starter equal to Roark's Cranidos, Level 14, then Turtwig and Piplup are probably slower than Cranidos and may be killed by it before they get a chance to attack. Chimchar, on the other hand, would've already evolved into Monferno and have learned Mach Punch, making this fight quite laughably easy.

Game Freak finally gave in to the fans when it came to Fossil Pokemon and gave us dinosaur-based Fossil Pokemon, which was pretty hype. Though in retrospect both of the lines aren't exactly the most well-received, when they were first revealed I recall being rather excited for them. Though Game Freak didn't totally give in to fan demand as they still avoided the "big four" dinosaurs---the tyrannosaur, the stegosaurus, the triceratops (well, debatable as we'll see), and the brachiosaurus---and went with some slightly less common, but still recognizable ones. Cranidos for example is based on the pretty well-known pachycephalosaurus, which as I mentioned before is a dinosaur I always wanted to see become a Pokemon as a kid. The pachycephalosaurus is a bipedal omnivore well-known for its dome-like cranium that many scientists believed was used in intra-species combat, two males proving their superiority by ramming their skulls together like modern bighorn sheep and musk oxen, though in recent years this assumption has come under question as some scientists believe that their overall posture and the fossil record does not support such event ever occurring, though the jury is still out. Game Freak didn't let "scientists" get in the way of a cool Pokemon, so Cranidos is all about ramming into shit with its head. Cranidos is kind of cute, but to be honest despite being based on such a cool dinosaur it really never caught my interest, and it seems a lot of folks don't care for it much. Well, sometimes reality doesn't live up to what you imagined it to be like.

Cranidos appeared during the Oreburgh City Arc in Diamond and Pearl under the ownership of Roark, revealed later to be the first Fossil Pokemon ever revived there. One thing Diamond and Pearl did great was the Gym Battles, pretty much every one was appropriately hyped up to and got a decent amount of episodes dedicated to it, and Roark's was probably one of the coolest as we got to see both Paul and Ash take him on. Paul went first, and after easily dispatching Roark's other Pokemon it came down to Chimchar vs. Cranidos, Paul hoping to have Chimchar activate its Blaze here though ultimately it lost. Elekid came in though and finished the job, but it was a tight match. Then it was Ash's turn, who managed to take down Cranidos with the combined power of Pikachu and Turtwig---only to lose the match when Roark's Onix of all things came in and delivered one of the coolest Screech attacks ever, slamming Pikachu into a wall which gave me the chills when it first happened. Before Ash got a chance to fight Roark in a rematch, his Cranidos happened to evolve due to the machinations of Team Rocket...

6Fy6d80.png

#409 - Rampardos
Rock

At Level 30, Cranidos evolves into Rampardos which is the lowest a Fossil Pokemon evolves at alongside the other Generation IV Fossil. Like Cranidos, Rampardos is all about that Attack and with a score of 165 he has the strongest non-Mega, non-Legendary Attack in the entire game! When he debuted he was only behind Deoxys Attack Forme, and even today in the post-power creep Generation he comfortably sits as the ninth best attacker, though one imagines a couple Megas from now that'll change. But, as you can imagine, there's a catch as like Cranidos everything else, especially his Speed which is what's the most important stat to him otherwise, is rather subpar so he's not all that great of a Pokemon, though of course for the adventure with the ability to easily choose when to put him in and when to take him out, that powerful Attack is really all you need with the proper planning. In the competitive scene, needless to say he's the ultimate glass cannon he might get a single K.O. in before getting totally wrecked, and that's if he can outspeed the opponent---and as Smogon points out, Generation IV had four priority moves he was weak to in Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, and Bullet Punch, so poor dude had it rough from Day 1. But if you want all that Attack without relying on a Mega or Legendary, knock yourself out.

Rampardos is basically a larger pachycephalosaurus, though its intimidating posture reminds one a bit more of how the T-Rex is often depicted and I imagine that was the intent to make it look tougher. Unfortunately, Game Freak gave it that rather odd Kid 'n Play-styled head that everyone I've ever met seems to dislike, and its somewhat daft expression doesn't help matters either. It's kind of a forgettable Pokemon despite being one of the highest Attackers in the entire series, and for our first Fossil Dinosaur one could say it's even a bit underwhelming in that regard, though the other Generation IV Fossil doesn't fare that much better. I've certainly never been too much of a fan myself, though I've honestly never given this line a shot either during my multiple playthroughs of Sinnoh so maybe I'd enjoy it more if I gave it a shot sometime.

While Ash went up against Roark's Onix with his Pikachu in their first Gym Battle for the final fight, for the rematch Aipom and Pikachu were able to dispatch Geodude and Onix leaving Turtwig up against Cranidos once more, though as mentioned it had evolved into Rampardos meaning that things wouldn't necessarily proceed like they did the first time. Ultimately though, the quick and powerful Turtwig manages to overcome Rampardos once more winning Ash his first Sinnoh Gym Badge---eighteen episodes into the series! Yeah, it was clear from that moment that Diamond and Pearl was gonna be one long ride, though thankfully things stayed pretty hype for most of the run. That wasn't it for Roark's Rampardos though as it'd return later when it came time for Ash to challenge the sixth Gym Leader of Sinnoh, Roark's father Byron.

I remember trying to use Cranidos in Diamond for a bit, but he just kept dying, so I dropped him.

It would be kind of interesting for Rampardos to have an ability to give priority to moves that have recoil. Not that it would rocket him to top tier, but it would help, especially since his gimmick seems to be all about recoil moves. Head Smash was basically its signature move, since only Relicanth could learn it (other than egg moves from HG/SS), and it learned it at level 78, which no person would ever raise a Relicanth to.

Yeah, Cranidos simply could not take a hit. I was a fan of the fossil Pokemon at the time thanks to Kabutops and Aerodactyl, but Cranidos convinced me it was just not worth it.

I was half-expecting Rampardos to get Rock Head as a Hidden Ability. But no, let's save it for the Tyrannosaurus two generations later.

Not that it would make it better. Poor thing has flimsy defense.

My friend had a Cranidos when he played diamond.

He had to carry a stack of potions constantly because head smash would frequently deal over a third of his life in recoil.

Cranidos and Shieldon has to be my favorite fossils as a set. They work so well together, with their theme with Cranidos being "the spear that pierces everything" and Shieldon being "the shield that can never be pierced." It's basically the unstoppable force vs. the unmovable object in Pokémon form. More fossils should have this kind of clear relationship.

Toxi

Banned
I have no idea why, but I have fucking horrible luck in the Sinnoh Underground finding fossils.

Which is a shame, as I really like Rampardos just for its ridiculous stat spread.

I have no idea why, but I have fucking horrible luck in the Sinnoh Underground finding fossils.

Which is a shame, as I really like Rampardos just for its ridiculous stat spread.
Let me guess: Orbs, Heart Scales, and Shards? Tried incredibly hard to get a Cranidos for my playthrough but gave up and got a Gible. Never used a Rampardos and wanted to try it out but oh well.

Azuran

Banned
Let me guess: Orbs, Heart Scales, and Shards? Tried incredibly hard to get a Cranidos for my playthrough but gave up and got a Gible. Never used a Rampardos and wanted to try it out but oh well.

Destiny was kind to you by making you use the best Pokemon line ever made. You should actually be grateful.

Crayolan

Cranidos and Rampardos are just terribly boring designs to me. Like how do you fuck up a dinosaur? Dinosaurs are cool by default and yet you make them look lame.

Thankfully Tyrantrum would eventually save us from the sins of gen 4.

WPS

Cranidos and Rampardos are one of those mons that work a little better in 2D then 3D - in XY they both have really chubby faces. Also Rampardos is apparently predatory according to the pokédex.

Anyway, I recently accidentally hatched a pink Cranidos with a perfect Special Attack and Speed IVs but almost zero attack and a timid nature. Obviously the only sensible thing to do was to train it as a special sweeper... even with EVs, nature and IVs all against it it's attack stat is still higher by miles :p. Poor Patchy just isn't very good.

Daemul

Cranidos was a pain the first time I played Platinum, he outspeed my Piplup and wrecked. I beat him on my 4th try, but it was the one gym battle where I regretted not having chosen chimchar lol

I was the opposite, fossils were raining down for me even though I didn't want them, I was hunting for shards for the move tutors. I spent so much fucking time down there.

I do agree that they added too few though. Since I limit myself to Pokemon introduced in that region megas might as well not have existed until ORAS for me.

Heh heh, yeah, I pretty much ignored Mega Evolution in X and Y, though the game made it very easy to since barely anybody used it. I jumped on the ME train when ORAS came around and the other two Hoenn starters got megas, though tbh I never used it except for when I ran into opponents who had their own megas. There was no point in constantly going mega to crush non-mega evolution using trainers you would have crushed regardless.

hey now, chubby mons are fine

see: typhlosion

Typholosion is the worst fire starter though, and is the sole reason that the Whitney meme exists since the poor fools who chose him got wrecked by rollout.

I tried to make Rampardos work in my first Diamond play through, but terrible speed and defense, combined with one of the worst defensive types do not a fun time make. He fainted to just about everything.

Also Rampardos is apparently predatory according to the pokédex.

I think Rampardos was supposed to be like Tyrantrum to Bastiondon's Aurorus.

Back when DP came out, that would have made Bastiodon the only herbivore fossil Pokemon, until Aurorus.

I guess carnivores make more exciting fossils (even to the point of turning real life herbivores into carnivores). Surprised we haven't gotten a Tricerotops though, considering it's probably the best known herbivore dinosaur.

tumblr_md8iqjDA8O1rc2uczo5_250.gif

tumblr_n874uxeHI21tg9q6uo1_500.gif

tumblr_lh1iek1lgD1qfyz1jo1_500.gif

I remember when I was playing Pokémon Battle Revolution and being able to transfer all of my Pearl Pokémon. I can't help but think back to how every other Rampardos was outspeeding most of them. I'm only now realize that it shouldn't how been possible, some of them sure, but Pokémon whose speed I was confident in, ended up being taken out due to the absurd attack power. I was recently thinking that it was odd, but then it hit me. I vaguely remember all the Rampardos kept using the same move afterwards. Those jerks were holding a Choice Scarf.

Cranidos and Shieldon has to be my favorite fossils as a set. They work so well together, with their theme with Cranidos being "the spear that pierces everything" and Shieldon being "the shield that can never be pierced." It's basically the unstoppable force vs. the unmovable object in Pokémon form. More fossils should have this kind or clear relationship.

In the 4th generation Rampardos would win

252+ Atk Rampardos Superpower vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Bastiodon: 340-404 (105.2 - 125%) -- guaranteed OHKO

From 5th generation onwards bastiodon would just survive with sturdy and OHKO back with Metal burst.

I like the gen 4 fossil duo, not to actually use mind you but they're both nice to admire from afar and really they're the first batch of fossils I actually dug (terrible pun intended).
Plus it kicked off a streak of neat fossil mon for me, I'm more for old fortress face coming up next but Ramparados is one of my more remembered Sinnoh region pokemon.

Actually one reason for this is my friends ill fated nickname for Ramparados.
It headbutts things hard and takes a lot of recoil damage to obviously naming it "Benoit" after the wrestler Chris Benoit. It was all funny until around a month later when it turned out that years of diving headbutts taking their toll on the cranium caused the pokemon's nicknamesake to go full murder-suicide, how eerily prophetic that nickname was.
At least we can say we went with this name before those events.

Toxi

Banned
Not if Rampardos has Mold Breaker.
This reminds me, why does Mold Breaker have that stupid announcement when you send a Pokemon into battle?

"Rampardos is breaking the mold!"

It doesn't serve any practical purpose as far as I can tell beyond making Mold Breaker a slightly worse ability.

I think the same thing every time I see it. It's stupid and doesn't tell you anything about the ability.

It should say "Rampardos is ignoring some abilities!" or something

Toxi

Banned
I think the same thing every time I see it. It's stupid and doesn't tell you anything about the ability.

It should say "Rampardos is ignoring some abilities!" or something
I don't even see why it needs such an announcement. Other abilities like No Guard don't have similar warnings even though they also drastically change battles.

But yeah, if you're gonna keep the announcement, at least change it to something less obtuse.

Kinsei

Banned
What the fuck does Mold Breaker do? I've been wondering that since I started playing Pokemon again last year.

It let's you hit your opponent with a move even if their ability would nullify it. For example you would be able to hit Eelektross (an electric type with levitate) with earthquake.

CazTGG

This generation's fossil Pokémon were horrible in terms of stat spreads, with Rampardos' decent HP and massive attack being undermined by its mediocre defenses (as well as the many weaknesses that the Rock-type incurs by itself) and poor speed respectively. At best, you could Baton Pass Rampardos. Say what you want about Archeops and the utter pain that is the Defeatist ability, at least it has the speed and power to fire off an attack before it becomes a liability and can heal off any damage taken or U-turn out, even if it lacks significant bulk for the former option. Rampardos needed to be either more bulky in order to guarantee it could take a hit before dishing one out aside from a Focus Sash or more speed in order to be an actual threat as a glass cannon, especially with the rise in priority moves, most of which Rampardos is weak to. The less said about Bastiodon's mediocre HP stat and horrible type combination that's brimming with common weaknesses ,not the least of which being the ever common Ground & Fighting, the better.

Black and White is basically the Final Fantasy 13 of Pokemon, every route seems to be an encounter with a rival or Team Plasma with barely anytime to just explore leisurely.

Eh, Black & White were actually good, something which Final Fantasy XIII cannot claim to be.

I don't even see why it needs such an announcement. Other abilities like No Guard don't have similar warnings even though they also drastically change battles.

But yeah, if you're gonna keep the announcement, at least change it to something less obtuse.

No Guard at least benefits the opponent as well, I'd imagine that the warning is for the players sake if you happen to have a Pokémon with something like Levitate. It might be that Mold Breaker would be a little too strong without the message, but I don't really know. I mean, if a Pokémon has Immunity, but still got poisoned Gamefreak might prefer the player knows that risk is there before, but again, I'm just guessing.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I like Cranidos, I think that he is cute.

Plus Cranidos was the first Pokémon I used to test the GTS...except I er forgot to check in on him to get him back so he's gone forever.... I am sorry. ;_;

I like the theory that they were Normal type in prehistoric times.

If they were normal in prehistoric times then they would be Rock/Normal as they gain the Rock typing due to fossilisation.

They probably have it announce so that players understand that the Pokémon has an ability that bypasses other Pokémon ability and don't jump to conclusion that they're cheating.

Eh, Black & White were actually good, something which Final Fantasy XIII cannot claim to be.

Yeah gen 5 was really good and impressed me.

Xux

Rampardos looks kinda silly with its bracelets and knee-pads. Otherwise, it's a neat t-rex-like; they could've over-designed it and made it, like, Rock/Dragon but they didn't so it's fine.

I think I said I "picked" the next Pokemon even though it's apparently Version Exclusive. Whoops.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
gq2u8vn.png

#410 - Shieldon
Rock/Steel

While Diamond players got the Skull Fossil and Cranidos, Pearl players instead got the Armor Fossil and its respective Fossil Pokemon---Shieldon. While Cranidos was pure-Rock, Shieldon is Rock/Steel which, as we've seen before with Aggron and Probopass, is actually a pretty shitty combination due to its common weaknesses. Furthermore, while Cranidos was all about that attack, Shieldon focuses on defense---both Physical and Special---leaving everything else out to dry including HP, and with that Type, well, the fact of the matter is despite being a defense-oriented Pokemon Shieldon will probably go down quite easily to a lot of attacks. You know Cranidos isn't exactly the best Pokemon out there, but Shieldon, for the adventure at least, is probably a weaker choice since defensive Pokemon aren't that fun to use outside of competitive battles where their abilities shine and its learnset is also pretty lacking. There's a far better Steel-type defensive Pokemon coming up in the Sinnoh Dex as well, so I imagine many folks may have skipped over Shieldon.

One thing positive I will say about the two Sinnoh Fossil Pokemon is they complement each other quite well---one's a bipedal offensive dinosaur, the other is a quadrupedal defensive dinosaur, and you can easily tell by looking at them that they're meant to be counterparts. Shieldon's line I actually kind of like visually, though I've never used one, because it has that one body-shape like Grotle that I really like to see in Pokemon, though admittedly they're not the best looking Pokemon and a lot of folks find them pretty plain and drab. There's a lot of drab-colored Pokemon in Generation IV honestly, especially compared to Generation III and Generation V which have a ton of brightly-colored Pokemon, and Shieldon is one of the more notable examples---not saying that's a bad thing right-out, for one it makes sense given it's a colder region and it makes them a bit more realistic, but it makes them sometimes easy to forget about.

So, while Cranidos was clearly based on the pachycephalosaurus, the dinosaur that Shieldon is based on is a bit more vague---it's definitely meant to be one of the ceratopsian dinosaurs like the famous triceratops, quadrupedal herbivores well-known for their horns and frills. Shieldon has the basic shape down, though it lacks the horns and doesn't have much of a frill instead swapping that out for what's basically a shield. Because of the lack of horns and smaller size most folks assume it's meant to be based on the protoceratops, a much smaller ceratopsian that predated the later ceratopsians, such as the triceratops, though it's not quite an exact match. But it's the closest dinosaur I could find that resembles Shieldon, so for now that's good enough unless one of you more dinosaur-minded folks have done some research into it. By the way, both Generation IV Fossil Pokemon are based on dinosaurs that lived during the Cretaceous Period---though perhaps that's not much of an accomplishment since that period spanned 79-millions years.

Shieldon debuted in a neat little Diamond and Pearl episode which was cool for two reasons---it featured Gary Fucking Oak, who had returned to the show at the end of the Battle Frontier, and Hunter J who was targeting some Shieldon he was looking after. Poor Gary though kind of sucked in Diamond and Pearl, his thunder had pretty much been stolen by Paul and I recall whenever he appeared in Diamond and Pearl he basically lost to the villains each time. Well, in his defense he had retired as a Pokemon Trainer to become a scientist so he was obviously a little rusty.

YKhmiKj.png

#411 - Bastiodon
Rock/Steel

At Level 30, Shieldon evolves into Bastiodon. Bastiodon's Defense and Special Defense are both stellar at 168 and 138 but everything else is pretty poor, so like Rampardos this is a Pokemon Game Freak designed with the intent of "good at one thing, horrible at everything else". Thankfully Generation V's buff to Sturdy helps it survive atleast one super-effective attack, but other than that expect it to easily go down to any Pokemon packing a decent Fighting-type move or the omnipresent Earthquake. In its defense though, while usually the offensive-based Pokemon comes out a bit better than the defensive-based Pokemon in the competitive scene Bastiodon has a bit more usefulness and utility compared to Rampardos thanks to packing Stealth Rock, Roar, Toxic, Magic Coat, making it a good support Pokemon, though that's all it can do---it really doesn't have any offensive presence whatsoever, and with that in mind it's a very slow and tedious Pokemon for the adventure. Game Freak really should have balanced these two out a bit more instead of aiming for each of them to represent an extreme.

Most folks seem to call Bastiodon a triceratops, though the shape of its head brings to mind the square-headed chasmosaurus instead, another type of ceratopsid dinosaur. Its face is also basically a castle wall, such as that of the Bastille in Paris, which fits its defensive motif. Pokemon Battle Revolution took advantage of its distinct design and designed an entire colosseum---Courtyard Colosseum---after it. But beyond this, like Rampardos a lot of fans seem to find Bastiodon ridiculous looking and it's another Fossil Pokemon that a bunch of people don't really seem to like much, though I think it's pretty neat and a step-up over Rampardos honestly. I also rather liked how Game Freak connected the two Fossil Pokemon in Diamond and Pearl with Roark using Cranidos while his father, the Steel-type Byron, used Bastiodon---it was a nice way to make the Sinnoh Region feel alive, and why I think Sinnoh had one of the best line-ups of Gym Leaders because they were all pretty memorable and got featured outside of their Gyms interacting with the player as well.

Byron's Bastiodon appeared in Diamond and Pearl. Due to an argument between Byron and Roark to decide which one of them loved Fossils the most, they used their most trusted Pokemon---Bastiodon and Rampardos respectively---to settle the score. Someone earlier mentioned how the two could be seen representing the "irresistible force paradox", the sharpest spear and the strongest shield, and this episode actually brought up that comparison---but in the end, the question of which was stronger wasn't answered as the two put aside their differences to take down Team Rocket. Later Ash got a chance to fight Bastiodon, and after a long and grueling battle his Gliscor managed to prove itself by wearing it down with Fire Fang, winning Ash the match.

Top Bottom