• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Original Source: http://quadforcefive.deviantart.com/art/Butterface-541392328
11377646_460736204087472_801628504_n.jpg

1ed1dba45e6bee712d838daa50a273ab52eca727_hq.gif

Busaiku

Honestly, Sinnoh is probably my least favorite region in terms of Pokémon.
So many dumb gimmicks and line updates vs new Pokémon annoy me to no end.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So we got our 722 Pokémon, I think that we are gonna be in this thread for a loooooooong time.

I like the Burmy line and fighting Wormadam was fun as I had to judge what type they were so my Pokémon could use the right move to attack them

-Psychic should not be super effective against poison, this makes no sense.

Psychic are regarded as being smart so they would know how to handle poison, plus mind over matter and they can overcome being poison.

I actually like Mothim for some reason I can't explain. I guess moths are always cool to me no matter what.

Same, Mothim is cool.

Gen IV really knocked it out of the park with bug types.

(lol)

469Yanmega.png

416Vespiquen.png

Gen 4 did have some good bug type.

Ezalc

Psychic are regarded as being smart so they would know how to handle poison, plus mind over matter and they can overcome being poison.

What? This is a terrible justification. No matter how smart you are you can't try to placebo effect/willpower poison.

I recently used a Wormadam (Sandy Cloak) in my replay of Pokemon X. It is... not terrible in game and the gimmick is actually pretty cool. I dropped it like a bad habit as soon as I got a better ground type, but it is actually kind of fun to play around with.

DrArchon

Gen 4 did have some good bug type.

Man, Vespiquen is so fucking cool! Why'd it have to be so shitty? Couldn't they have given it any type combo other than Bug/Flying?

Same with Yanmega. Let's make this sick Bug/Flying 'mon and put them in the same game that we add Stealth Rock in. Fuckin' hell. Can we at least get Mega Yanmega some day?

I don't get the hate towards heatran tbh. He's really good as a battler and the concept of a giant lump of sentient magma is cool. Besides you don't have to beat the game and fight your way through legions of powerful trainers up into a Volcano to obtain a Snorlax or Sudowoodo. It's closer to Rayquaza/Giratina/Kyurem/Zygarde than a normal overworld pokemon. I wish more legendaries were like this instead of just being there inside a random cave with nothing else coughmewtwocough or roamers. The rings in ORAS made legendary hunting feel like ticking boxes off a checklist which I'm not a big fan of either.

Burmy and wormadam aren't that good, but then again you could say that about a lot of shitty bugs like dustox, ledian, illumise, etc.

Never did like the honey mechanic though. If they revisit it in a remake have the pokemon attack instantly.

Macka

Yeah, I'm generally not a fan of bug-types either. Only real exceptions are Scyther, Scizor and Genesect to a degree. The more traditional insect designs aren't my cup of tea.

With that said, there are lots of Bug-types that I think are great designs even if they don't appeal to my tastes. Yanmega, Scolipede, Galvantula, Volcarona and Vivillon all come to mind.

Toxi

Banned
Maybe a mod will secretly help out with that.

Speaking of gen 4... well, all Pokémon in general, I'm not too fond of most Bug Pokémon. Pretty much the only ones I really freaking like are the Sewaddle, Joltik, and Scatterbug lines.
Yeah, I'm generally not a fan of bug-types either. Only real exceptions are Scyther, Scizor and Genesect to a degree.

The more traditional insect designs aren't my cup of tea.
Bug's my second favorite type, but I'm kinda biased.

I think it's good that a game aimed towards kids portrays arthropods in a light other than "horrible monster trying to kill the hero".

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Xk894uM.png

#415 - Combee
Bug/Flying

Another day, another gimmicky Sinnoh Bug-type Pokemon. Like Burmy, without taking in consideration anything else about Combee, it's unlikely that many players used one during their initial Diamond and Pearl playthrough due to being yet another new Pokemon only available through utilizing the Honey Tree mechanic. In fact, Combee basically IS the Honey Tree mechanic as its Ability, Honey Gather, even gives it the possibility of picking up Honey after a battle. This is pretty much worthless though outside of Sinnoh, as beyond slathering it on trees the only use of Honey otherwise is acting like Sweet Scent---which Combee itself starts out with, thus rendering Honey Gather virtually worthless. Well, maybe when the Diamond and Pearl remakes come around it'll have a point again. Until Combee evolves, like Burmy it's basically worthless with poor stats and a very small learnset so you'll probably need to utilize the Exp. Share if you plan on using one as it can be a real pain to raise otherwise.

Oh! But there's one thing you should know about Combee! You see that red dot on the middle one's head? Well, Generation IV introduced the idea of gender differences. Now, we had this in the past with the two Nidoran, but those were specifically treated as separate Pokemon---in Generation IV, a handful of Pokemon received aesthetic differences based on gender, such as Pikachu's heart-shaped tail, which was pretty neat yet somewhat underutilized. And then Generation V and VI basically ignored that idea except for a few very specific examples, but otherwise gender differences were a fun little quirk of Generation IV that were mostly meaningless. However, it's vitally important when it comes to Combee as only the female Combee, those with the red dot, are capable of evolving. If you happen to catch a male Combee, then basically fuck you, it'll never evolve and be stuck as a horribly weak Pokemon for the rest of its life. You know, since it's a bee and all, and male bees are just drones.

Combee is actually a pretty cute Pokemon in my opinion, and it was neat to get a honey bee Pokemon---I mean, Beedrill was a wasp after all. Combee is yet another multi-headed Pokemon, which is actually a Japanese pun: "mitsubachi" means honey bee, but "mitsu" can mean either "bee" or "three", so it's three honey bees. The three hexagonal heads also come together to form a honeycomb formation, and the show goes further and shows that multiple Combee can combine together to form an enormous living honeycomb-hive, which is pretty neat too. By the way, the red spot on the female's head is actually based on a real occurrence where bees that gather pollen will occasionally have some of the pollen end up covering their heads---since in real life only the female honey bees gather pollen, it makes sense that only the female Combee have said marks. So, yeah, I kind of like this Pokemon actually and wish they were a bit more powerful. Also, they really should give the male Combee something...

I remember whenever Combee appeared in the show, it was rendered in CG because I guess that was easier to animate than drawing it traditionally? It was really weird and kind of off-putting though. Combee first appeared at the end of the Cheryl Arc, guarding the Amber Castle. In Best Wishes, one of the Decolore Islands was known for its sweet Combee honey, though they barely appeared in the episode and it was more about Ash and Co.'s Pokemon getting lost and attacked by Beedrill.

udnenSk.png

#416 - Vespiquen
Bug/Flying

At Level 21, a female Combee will evolve into Vespiquen. Despite being yet another Bug/Flying Pokemon, Vespiquen has some neat things going for it. First of all, both its Defense and Special Defense exceed 100 and its stats, for a Bug-type Pokemon, aren't too shabby. It also has three unique signature moves in Defend Order, which increases its defensive stats, Heal Order, which recovers half of its HP, and Attack Order, a very powerful Bug-type move with increased Critical Hit Ratio. I'd actually love to give Vespiquen a shot, but sadly the fact of the matter is Diamond and Pearl made it such a pain to get I didn't even bother, though I do remember scrambling to evolve one once due to a dude wanting one in exchange for a Dialga on the GTS, which unfortunately I didn't get to him in time. And despite these neat quirks, in the competitive scene it doesn't really do much to stand out due to Bug/Flying simply being a pretty poor Type due to the ever present Stealth Rock. But, as far as Bug Pokemon go, you could do far worse---like Mothim.

Vespiquen is the queen bee of Bug-type Pokemon and virtually a living beehive, controlling Combee to gather honey in order to feed the grubs living within its body which it can then control to do its bidding through Attack Order, Defend Order, and Heal Order. The PokeDex refers to the creatures living within her as "grubs", and the animation for the Order moves in the games show that they're basically fairly realistic looking bees, which is kind of odd when you think about it as it breaks that important barrier between Pokemon and real animals. Like, do the grubs eventually turn into Combee, or is Vespiquen the source of terrestrial bees and they exist at a lower hierarchy compared to the Combee? Man, this is one Pokemon who is kind of weird when you think about it.

Despite the fact that Vespiquen is somewhat forgettable due to being kind of lackluster, and the line's limited availability also don't do it any favors, I think it has a pretty radical design and always reminded me of some sort of neat little mecha. In fact, due to how it controls the grubs it's always reminded me of the AMX-004 Qubeley from Zeta Gundam and its Psycommu-controlled Funnels. I love the Qubeley, it's probably one of my favorite Mobile Suit designs alongside the Hyaku-Shiki, so a Pokemon that somewhat comes close to imitating it is pretty neat in my mind, though I can't say that it was intentional on Game Freak's part despite it's clear that they're mecha fans as we'll see when we get to Generation V and Generation VI. So, yeah, Vespiquen is a neat Pokemon that I've never touched, and that's sort of a shame. Maybe I'll give it a chance when we get to the Diamond and Pearl remakes.

Vespiquen appeared in the Amber Castle during the Cheryl Arc, where it served as the guardian of the famous Enchanted Honey within. I recall it being pretty cool in this episode because it mostly just stood around with glowing red eyes as it remotely controlled hundreds of Combee to do its bidding (the show ignored the realistic grubs of course), making it seem far more powerful than most non-Legendary Pokemon. Aaron of the Sinnoh Elite Four later appeared with one and used it as part of a little showcase when training to fight Cynthia, though it was depicted as far weaker than the previous one due to the fact it didn't control a massive swarm of Combee. It's kind of a shame we never got to see a serious fight with Vespiquen in the show demonstrating how exactly it'd utilize the Order moves in an official battle---would that be against the rules? Like, if you were in the Pokemon League with a Vespiquen, could you just call upon a swam of Combee to fight with you?

Exterminieren beating me to what I was gonna say, Combee is justified through its adorable factor alone.
Vespiquen is another good design, I have fond memories of playing double battles with my friends and fortunately ended up on the side of another friends vespiquen that managed to get the defend orders going, classic.

A forgotten line of bugs but only due to their peculiar circumstances.

Visually nice Pokemon bogged down by gimmick on top of gimmick and far too annoying to actually catch and evolve, not helped by only being mediocre.

But Vespiquen is good in the TCG. Or used to be, I have no idea if the card is still in rotation or not.

Apparently she did damage based on how many Pokemon were in your discard pile, and combined with Unown, who could discard itself with no penalty, she could do a nice amount of damage.

Or something like that. I remember it was Vespiquen + Unown that worked out well, which is funny since they're both fairly useless normally in the "real" game.

You'd think there would be more merchandise of Combee, since it's a cutie, but there really isn't.

Next Pokemon is underdog of the year, 2014.

WPS

Apparently she did damage based on how many Pokemon were in your discard pile, and combined with Unown, who could discard itself with no penalty, she could do a nice amount of damage.

Wait, you're telling me that Unown's ability in the TGC is literally to put itself in the rubbish where it belongs?

Anyway, Vespiquen is definitely one of those cool mons that I wish were more useful. It should totally get a Mega based off of a Dyson Ring / Sphere.

...But I've just noticed, and its going to bug me forever, how does Vespiquen land? Does it just get carried by its servants when tired?

Razmos

Absolutely love Vespiquen used one for my playthrough of White 2 (I got lucky). Just a really great Pokémon with a solid design and it is rare enough to be desirable without being impossible to get.

Wait, you're telling me that Unown's ability in the TGC is literally to put itself in the rubbish where it belongs?

Something like that, I don't remember exactly.

Has a Heracross ever encountered a Combee in the anime? Because that would be funny to see. Heracross attacking Combee's faces trying to suck out their delicious honey flesh.

Crayolan

So in my first playthrough of Platinum I actually used a Vespiquen. When going through the early areas I put honey on one of the first trees you can find because, well, why not, and then when I came back just to see what I'd get it turned out to be a female Combee. I wasn't expecting anything good, but since I got so lucky I figured I'd use it.

Vespiquen isn't bad, but it isn't great either. Its low speed is really crippling for a pokemon of its type though, and it makes setting up defend orders for a sweep more difficult than it needs to be. Honestly I think they should've made defend order into a reverse quiver dance, giving an attack/defense/speed boost instead of just defense buffs. Even if they just added an attack buff onto defense order it would help a ton. Maybe that'd be a little broken but it's not like Vespiquen is an especially powerful pokemon anyway, though IMO it should be since it feels like they tried to depict it as one.

At the very least, as a concept I really like Vespiquen, a giant queen bee commanding an army of lesser bees is a really cool idea for a pokemon. Design-wise its pretty cool too, being both the queen and the hive in one. I always imagined the "grubs" being little bee-shaped missiles it shoots out of its hive.

As for Combee...lol. It looks like a 90s Rare character, put smiley face on random object and call it a pokemon.

Malrend

Never used Combee -> Vespiquen in Gen IV.. Did use one in my first run of Black 2 though. No regrets, Vespiquen is a lovely pokemon to use, and also feels somewhat unique.

Funnily enough it was the first pokemon I ever saw using Power Gem, and thought that it was a move unique to it.. Found it a bit weird that it was a Rock-type move.

https://49.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0c3dlD5tj1qd87hlo1_500.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Mega Male Combee confirmed.

[quote="TriggerShy, post: 194821983"]By the way, Mothim is actually known to regularly steal honey from Combee.[/QUOTE]
As if the burmy line weren't earning themselves enough hate already.

brinstar

I got a free download of Y version from Club Nintendo a while back that I've been slowly playing through (I bought X at launch) and I had Mothim in my party for quite a bit in that one. It was kicking ass for a while but I think I finally just boxed it for Heracross or something.

I managed to get a Vespiquen pretty early in Pearl, which was pretty cool because at the time it was considered super rare and people online were gunning to trade for 'em. I was using it on my team but then I traded it away to someone in Serebii's chatroom (I don't even remember what for) and instantly regretted it. I miss that Vespiquen....

Vespiquen was cool in that she's a defensive bug type, but bug / flying is just awful defensive typing. With her decent stats and cool moveset, she actually could have seen some play if she was straight bug. Or if she had Magic Guard.

Rutger

Banned
Vespiquen is a Pokemon I completely forgot about until I needed it to complete my Pokedex, at which point I realized it has a fantastic design.

Then I had to get a female Combee...
It's easy to see why it's not great competitively, could you imagine getting one with perfect IVs? Game Freak isn't that evil.

Watch Da Birdie

Q5cksNi.png

#417 - Pachirisu
Electric

Generation III if you'll recall introduced the first ever "Pikachu Clones" in Plusle and Minun. While some fans may have thought that it was merely a one-off attempt by Game Freak to cash in on Pikachu's popularity, Generation IV brought us the second Pikachu Clone (well, third) in the EleSquirrel Pokemon Pachirisu, and from henceforth fans grew to expect such a Pokemon to appear in all future entries. Pachirisu is a fairly common Pokemon in Sinnoh, and I recall using one in a Platinum Nuzlocke once and figuring out it wasn't all that shabby honestly, and Pick Up proved to be quite useful, though it has a pretty odd statistical distribution that goes against its appearance as while it is indeed pretty quick, it's mainly defense-oriented which is a pretty odd mix. In the single-based competitive scene it's pretty worthless and outclassed by Pikachu and the Generation V Pikachu Clone, but to the surprise of everyone it played a major role in the 2014 Doubles Pokemon World Championships as part of Se Jun Park's winning team. Now, a lot of sites sort of exaggerated this by claiming Pachirisu "won the tournament", which isn't quite true, as it barely has any offensive capabilities and depended on its teammates to score the K.O.s. But the role Pachirisu served was no less vital as through a mix of Follow Me, re-directing the opponent's attacks, and its surprisingly bulk (don't forget, it only has one weakness too) it protected its friends leaving them free to take down the opponent. But don't think one can simply walk into a Tournament with Pachirisu and expect to win, because it can't do much on its own without the right teammates synergizing with it.

The problem a lot of folks had with Plusle and Minun was that beyond their Doubles Gimmick, they were pretty dull visually and looked like a strange rip-off of Pichu. Pachirisu, on the other hand, is obviously inspired by Pikachu due to being an electrical rodent with super-charged cheeks, but has enough of its own visual identity to not feel as soulless, plus I think it's pretty cute and has a nice color-scheme. And it represents a new animal, a squirrel, which (barring any misconceptions about Squirtle) we hadn't yet had, so all-in-all Pachirisu is honestly pretty solid. It's sort of a shame they don't let the Pikachu Clones evolve like Pikachu does though, I mean given Plusle and Minun's gimmick it made sense to keep them unevolved but Pachirisu has no such gimmick and thus there's no real reason to keep it from evolving other than trying to keep it as cute and marketable as possible. It's sort of a shame, but maybe Game Freak are aware of how Pikachu overshadows Raichu and didn't want to see a repeat of that?

For the first three Generations of the show, there was an unwritten rule that Pikachu was the only Electric-type Pokemon allowed to be on the main cast. Diamond and Pearl, however, broke this rule by giving Pachirisu to Dawn and from that point on, it has become customary for Pikachu Clones to end up on the main cast for maximum exposure. Pachirisu was the third Pokemon Dawn obtained, and was quite mischievous at first---so much so that she actually released it due to its disobedience though ultimately they made up and she recaught it. From then on, though quite the misbehavior especially when it came to Poffins, Pachirisu proved to be a vital part of Dawn's Contests though I recall as the show went on it appeared a bit less than her other Pokemon outside of Pokemon Contests, and for a Pikachu Clone it wasn't shoved down our throats as much as you'd think.

The pachirisu being part of the winning vgc team is still one of my favorite things to ever happen in competitive Pokemon. Nobody expected it and it's the type of thing that might never happen again

Watch Da Birdie

IIRC apparently the dude used it to mix things up from the usual Rage Powder Amoonguss.

DedValve

Banned
XY in general is a step up in animation.

Is it? I obviously dont expect all episodes to look like that but if the quality is good, has entertaining battles and stupid ash is kept to a minimum I'd be down to try it. Haven't seen the anime since May was around. Saw very little of Dawn.

Top Bottom