• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Guess who has no weakness?

tumblr_m3hejopf4x1rpn9eno1_500.gif

tumblr_mgabk04UZ81r84emlo1_500.gif

Source

tumblr_lxuntl5hqX1r7akouo1_500.png

If it hasn't already been mentioned, despite living in water before adapting to land, Eelektross can't be taught Surf.

Pokemon isn't balanced in this manner. Critical hits ignore defensive boosts, and in practice dedicating a move slot to boost only the user's immediate staying power is a poor choice. They limit the user more than his opponent as he seldom poses a greater threat and has a vested interest to not switch out. Moves like Will-o-wisp and Reflect/Light Screen that help the whole team are generally stronger defensive options because they keep switching as an option without losing as much (and defend against critical hits), and boosting attacks like Bulk Up and Calm Mind that raise both offense and defense pressure an opponent more than just a defensive boost because now the opponent doesn't just have to hope for a critical hit or to Roar or whatever. He's gotta be able to take a boosted attack which his team is less likely to have accounted for. A big, defensive boost isn't as effective as smaller, different boosts because a defensive boost can leave both sides still equal (and it does, over long sets - crits are inevitable), and it uses a moveslot to marginal benefit to the rest of the team.

Fair enough. So 110 Def Mega Blissey with regenerator it is

Spyware

Lovelovelove this line. I didn't know Tynamo was that big tho, yikes. Looks like it should be joltik sized or something.

Love how goofy and creepy they look, love that they have no weakness and as an electric type fan these mons are just a treat <3

And Eelektross look soooo cool in X/Y:
eelektross.gif

eelektross.gif

PBalfredo

Simply giving Klinklang access to Earthquake would do it wonders. Klinklang is a fun pokemon, and Gear Shift + Gear Grind is totally rad, but it just needs that little bit extra to really work.

CazTGG

The most interesting thing about the Klink line is that the 3 gears gimmick might be a reference to an older Game Freak Game, that being the surprisingly great "Drill Dozer" for the Game Boy Advance. I say might because there's nothing specifically referencing that game with this line other than the fact that it's a gear-shaped Pokémon.
Drill_Dozer_-_Gameplay.png

And that's all I have to say on the Klink line because it's honestly one of the most dull Pokémon since Gen IV.

The Tynamo/Eel line on the other hand is another winner...in Gen V at least since Gen VI's model for Eelektross is just awful. In Black/White/2, it's rather neat seeing it slowly transform from this small and harmless critter to a goofy but powerful electric eel/lamprey hybrid with fins to walk around on land.

Atlantis

Poison is actually a swell defensive type these days. Sure, it's weak to URFQUAKE and URFQUAKE is everywhere, but the only other weakness is Psychic (Incredibly uncommon) and it resists Fairy, Poison, Bug, Grass, and Fighting. Fairy and Fighting are super good resists, Grass ain't half bad, and even Bug can be useful because of how common U-turn is. And it's immune to Toxic and absorbs Toxic Spikes!

The worst problems facing defensive poison types are they tend to have lowish stats. Mega Venusaur demonstrates how useful Poison is with some great stats.

Another issue for Poison defensively is that it's not a typing that easily "fits" the recovery moves in the game. Both the Amoongus and Venusaur examples are half Grass-type, meaning easy access to Synthesis. (Amoongus has Regenerator as well.)

Weezing, for example, would be a much more solid defensive Pokemon if it could heal itself with something other than Pain Split.

NEO0MJ

The Eelektross line is pretty cool. Finding out their type was a headache. Only thing worse was a certain mon from the coming gen.

Macka

*shows Magnemite is dynamic situations where it's the focus*

*shows Klink in static poses while it's a background Pokemon*

"Why it not the same? :0"

Like really?
Uh...I was directly replying to someone who asked for signs of Magnemite showing emotion with its' eye.

And it wasn't unfair to use those examples of Klink. It isn't even in the background of some of them. There just aren't any examples to give of it showing emotion.

You could just as easily have Klink show emotion as Magnemite, regardless.

The Klinklang line can't do that at all. Their face never changes. Show me a gif of them showing emotion by changing their facial expression.

woopWOOP

And here I thought these were aquatic Pokemon that were capable to awkwardly walk on land (gen 5 sprite), but the 3D models showed their more fluid underwater movements, like water Pokemon. I guess it makes sense they can actually swim through air with their levitate ability.

Anyway, cool looking line of monsters, especially the latter two forms.

Forkball

Klinklang line: Not Magnemite. Klingklang has to be one of the worst designs for a third stage Pokemon ever. It's unique moves do make it stand out more than others, but overall I feel like it is rather generic.

Eelektross line: I legit forgot this thing had a second form. Eelektross has a really interesting design, and you would think it would be amazing with Levitate, but it's absurdly slow and its best stat is Attack.

Both these suffer from the Gen V curse of having Pokemon evolve way too late as well.

WarAdept

I used Eelektross pretty extensively in my first run through of BW, as the appeal of a no weakness Poke was quite an interesting trait. Coupled with a very diverse move pool, Eelektross had an answer to everything... But not the stats to back it up. It's stats are fairly average unfortunately, so in addition to always going second, it can't stomach neutral hits very well and even with its coverage, it can't secure two hit KOs a lot of the time.

That being said, I still like very much. Go Gen V electric types!

gardfish

Eelektross was my favorite Gen 5 Pokemon pre-US release, and I wanted to use him in my game, but Tynamo's rarity combined with the amount of leveling I would need to do compared to Galvantula's availability meant that he ended up in the dust. I'm giving him a second shot in my White replay, though, so we'll see how he measures up.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I used Eelektross on my White 2 team, he was pretty good and raising him from a Tynamo wasn't that bad as he hit hard and I gave him the evoilite to buff up his defense.

Heck finding Tynamo wasn't that hard either as I used Emolga static to draw him out.

I just realised that I prefer Eelektrik the most out of that line, look at that goofy guy.
Meanwhile for Klink, well the first form was a solid start but damn did the evos disappoint.

Menitta

What games can you play that aren't mainline entries but let you transfer pokemon to the main games? Stuff like Dream Radar.

Pokemon Ranger games had wifi missions, but they're not available anymore. Even through action replay. I tried for like a week to find the Darkrai mission for Shadows of Almia. I don't like to use Action Replay, but for unobtainable stuff, it's useful.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Regarding Klink and Magnemite design it just goes to show just how far the series has progress since gen 1.

I mean Magnemite is a gen 1 Pokémon created for the game boy so its design had to be simple but Klink is a gen 5 created for the DS so it could get away in having a more complex design, along having the sprite animation bringing it to life.

Pokemon Ranger games had wifi missions, but they're not available anymore. Even through action replay. I tried for like a week to find the Darkrai mission for Shadows of Almia. I don't like to use Action Replay, but for unobtainable stuff, it's useful.

Yeah I am going to have to resort to using action replay to re-unlock the Rotom event on my Platinum version when I replay it as I want to use Air Rotom on my team.

Plus I want to re-unlock the Darkrai and Shaymin event and experience the Arceus event that never happened.

The most interesting thing about the Klink line is that the 3 gears gimmick might be a reference to an older Game Freak Game, that being the surprisingly great "Drill Dozer" for the Game Boy Advance. I say might because there's nothing specifically referencing that game with this line other than the fact that it's a gear-shaped Pokémon.
Drill_Dozer_-_Gameplay.png

And that's all I have to say on the Klink line because it's honestly one of the most dull Pokémon since Gen IV.

The Tynamo/Eel line on the other hand is another winner...in Gen V at least since Gen VI's model for Eelektross is just awful. In Black/White/2, it's rather neat seeing it slowly transform from this small and harmless critter to a goofy but powerful electric eel/lamprey hybrid with fins to walk around on land.

Great? Drill Dozer was clearly showed that they didn't have much experience with the platforming genre. The game had questionable design choices like pitting players back to the slow Gear 1 shift at the beginning of each stage. Instead of making it feel like you were progressing you were constantly being pushed back to square 1. Not to mention the level design while not as bad as Epic Dumpster Bear it comes close with simplistic, but not engaging obstacles and enemies. I won't go on about this, for my whole detailed review just look for my LTTP I made last year.

Boogiepop

Great? Drill Dozer was clearly showed that they didn't have much experience with the platforming genre. The game had questionable design choices like pitting players back to the slow Gear 1 shift at the beginning of each stage. Instead of making it feel like you were progressing you were constantly being pushed back to square 1. Not to mention the level design while not as bad as Epic Dumpster Bear it comes close with simplistic, but not engaging obstacles and enemies. I won't go on about this, for my whole detailed review just look for my LTTP I made last year.
I won't fight you on it in depth as I haven't played it in forever and thus can't really offer a nuanced argument, but I will say that I thouroughly enjoyed it back when it came out, so the poster you quoted wasn't alone in liking it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
JtKl93k.png

#605 - Elgyem
Psychic

Elgyem is a strange little Psychic-type Pokemon who loves to hang around burial sites for some reason, primarily Celestial Tower in Black and White and later Mt. Pyre in ORAS. I decided to use this guy (named Mulder) in Pokemon White and was sorely disappointed in his performance, like Swoobat he really let me down as a Psychic-type Pokemon due to a rather limited and gimmicky moveset combined with horrid Speed and limited bulk---his Hidden Ability, Analytic, works together with his low Speed by increasing the power of his attacks when he goes last but at the time HA Elgyem had not been released so I settled for one with Telepathy which allows him to avoid ally attacks in Double and Triple Battles. The reason for him coming across as quite a horrid Pokemon seems to be due to the fact it seems like he was made more with Doubles and Triples in mind, with a variety of unique support moves, so it was probably my mistake for not checking out his playstyle before deciding to use him.

But I couldn't pass this Pokemon over because he's one gimmick I wanted Pokemon to tackle for the longest time---an authentic alien Pokemon. So we've had Pokemon speculated to be aliens (Clefairy), we've had non-alien Pokemon inspired by aliens (Sableye), and we have a Pokemon who in some canons is an alien, but otherwise is a mutated space virus (Deoxys), but Elgyem is our first Pokemon who is straight up an alien. Black and White came out around the time I was marathoning the X-Files series, which I hadn't given a chance as a kid due to being terrified of the theme song alone, so when I first saw this Pokemon I was pretty hyped. Now in truth I think the design of this family isn't the greatest, and it seems a lot of folks agree with me because they're pretty forgettable among the majority of fans, but thematically this Pokemon was a great addition to the franchise and I'm all for more extraterrestrial Pokemon appearing down the line. I'm still waiting for the Flatwoods and Mothman Pokemon Game Freak!

So Elgyem's name looks really weird but if you spell it backwards you get---Meygle! Wait, no, the hidden meaning of the name isn't based on spelling it differently, but rather how it's pronounced as it's meant to sound like the acronym L.G.M., "little green men". Most folks probably won't pick up on this though, probably thinking it's pronounced as "El-gym", and wonder what exactly the localization was thinking when they created this name. Elgyem is inspired by the stereotypical "grey aliens", the most common type of alien of them all which are known for their wide eyes and bulbous heads and tendency to abduct folks---they first became known to the public in the infamous case of Barney and Betty Hill, an interracial couple who claimed to have been abducted in 1961. Some have theorized this event was the result of stress the couple experienced due to not adhering to social norms at the time, though the Hills have argued that there marriage didn't cause any issues in the community, or was influenced by an episode of Outer Limits that aired a few weeks before the event occurred featuring aliens. It's also said to have appeared in the Pokemon World fifty years ago at a UFO crash-site in the desert, bringing to mind the infamous Roswell Incident---this would mean Black and White takes place around 2000, if it follows out calendar, since Roswell happened in 1947. It's also been noted that its tri-colored hands resemble the faces of the aliens from the 1953 adaptation of War of the Worlds by Paramount, and its stone-shaped head has been compared to various stone circles attributed to aliens that are found throughout Europe making this Pokemon seriously neat for those invested in alien lore.

Elgyem's focus episode in Best Wishes was pretty neat, taking place at "Area 28" which looked like a place you'd see in an old alien B-Movie complete with a roadside diner the gang stopped by---I like when the anime forgoes the usual forest/city setting for a more interesting locale. Though previous episodes made it clear that Iris was the superstitious one while Cilan was the scientific one, this episode twisted that a bit by showing that Cilan did entertain the notion of extraterrestrials and was a fan of UFOs---not too different from how Mulder from the X-Files was an avid believer in certain phenomenon but was highly skeptical of religion, a fact that many characters who copy the Mulder/Scully dynamic don't quite get. Anyway in this episode an Elgyem had befriended a scientist who was attempting to create a spacecraft in order to travel into space with an Elgyem he had befriended. The relationship between Professor Icarus and Elgyem was pretty touching and it was a slow, but interesting, episode and one of the few Best Wishes fillers I found memorable. A later episode taking place at the Celestial Tower involved a bratty kid who used his Elgyem during a competition (involving a race, a cosplay contest, etc.) to basically cheat, and he wasn't humble either acting as if Elgyem's powers were of his own doing.

XDqZhSG.png

#606 - Beheeyem
Psychic

At Level 42 Elgyem evolves into Beheeyem. My experience with Elgyem didn't improve when he evolved into Beheeyem, he still suffers from Special Attack being his only notable trait at the cost of his Speed---if he has Analytic, which mine didn't, he can hit very hard but it's likely he'll be quickly taken down before he gets a chance to really do anything at all. But most of the time I was left confused when he learned a bunch of strange, situational moves such as Imprison, Simple Beam, and the move people likely forget exists because it's almost spelled the same as the Ability, Synchronoise. But one of his unique moves, and one he can only get through breeding with the Abra family, gives him a bit of interesting usage in the Doubles and Triples scene---Ally Switch. This priority move allows Beheeyem to switch the positions of Pokemon causing the opponent's attack to hit the wrong one, since the target of an attack is actually based on position rather than the Pokemon---there's a variety of strategies possible here, basically like Follow Me except your opponent will likely not expect it since it's such an obscure move, and furthermore through Telepathy you can have Beheeyem's partner fire off powerful area-of-effect moves whil it stays safe from harm. But its poor bulk and defensively weak Type prevents it from fully taking advantage of its unique set of moves, and thus its usefulness is very limited in most circumstances.

Beheeyem's name is also meant to resemble an acronym, this time standing for B.E.M.---"bug eyed monster". This term is a bit lesser known and outdated, mainly being prominent during the early pulp fiction days, though to the Japanese audience (its Japanese name is Ohbem) they'll likely think of the anime "Humanoid Monster Bem". Beheeyem is still an alien and may be involved in alien abductions as it's said its psychic powers allow it to take control of an opponent's brain and manipulate their memory, perhaps erasing any memory of said individual being abducted in the first place. Furthermore fitting this "cover up" theme you'll notice Beheeyem's body gives the appearance of it wearing a top hat, shades, and a trench coat, which brings to mind popular portrayals of government agents and M.I.B., who sometimes are believed to be aliens themselves, such as the mysterious Indrid Cold who was said to have appeared in West Virginia around the time the Mothman incidents took place. Also the character of "Bem" from the anime Humanoid Monster Bem also happens to be an alien who disguises himself in a suit and top hat though for more noble purposes so that could've been an inspiration as well since Game Freak does seem to love their anime.

Beheeyem appeared in an amusing filler episode I mentioned back in Duosion's entry where he belonged to a "Dream Thief" named Leon who used Beheeyem's psychic powers to trap people in a dream while he steals their Pokemon. A later filler episode involved a group of Beheeyem losing the power source of their craft, which happened to resemble an Amulet Coin, causing them to invade a town and turn everyone into human-Beheeyem hybrids while they searched for it, targeting Ash since he found a real Amulet Coin recently and Meowth due to the coin on his head. Once more, like in the Tentacruel episode from Kanto and the Deoxys episode from Hoenn, Beheeyem spoke through Meowth bringing to mind the scene from Independence Day where the alien hijacks the scientist's body.

GoldStarz

The aliens are a cool concept, but I wish they had a bit more meaning in the game, they're just kinda there. I mean, even Clefairy has the weekly Mount Moon Dance. I wish they had some kind of area like that for them.

also it's kinda weird these guys aren't found in the Desert Resort given how many aliens of modern lore are associated with such barren locations.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Beheeyem appeared in an amusing filler episode I mentioned back in Duosion's entry where he belonged to a "Dream Thief" named Leon who used Beheeyem's psychic powers to trap people in a dream while he steals their Pokemon. A later filler episode involved a group of Beheeyem losing the power source of their craft, which happened to resemble an Amulet Coin, causing them to invade a town and turn everyone into human-Beheeyem hybrids while they searched for it, targeting Ash since he found a real Amulet Coin recently and Meowth due to the coin on his head. Once more, like in the Tentacruel episode from Kanto and the Deoxys episode from Hoenn, Beheeyem spoke through Meowth bringing to mind the scene from Independence Day where the alien hijacks the scientist's body.
All of this sounds great I think I need to watch this

Macka

Eelektross is cool, but I'm not a fan of the Gen VI model. I guess it makes sense to be 'swimming' through the air, but it looks a lot less intimidating that way.

Elgyem and Beheeyem are kinda forgettable, but I do like the basis behind their designs. Elgyem is a lot better looking than its' evolution though, which is an annoyingly common trait of Gen V Pokemon.

e105zeta

Neo Member
But I couldn't pass this Pokemon over because he's one gimmick I wanted Pokemon to tackle for the longest time---an authentic alien Pokemon. So we've had Pokemon speculated to be aliens (Clefairy), we've had non-alien Pokemon inspired by aliens (Sableye), and we have a Pokemon who in some canons is an alien, but otherwise is a mutated space virus (Deoxys), but Elgyem is our first Pokemon who is straight up an alien. Black and White came out around the time I was marathoning the X-Files series, which I hadn't given a chance as a kid due to being terrified of the theme song alone, so when I first saw this Pokemon I was pretty hyped. Now in truth I think the design of this family isn't the greatest, and it seems a lot of folks agree with me because they're pretty forgettable among the majority of fans, but thematically this Pokemon was a great addition to the franchise and I'm all for more extraterrestrial Pokemon appearing down the line. I'm still waiting for the Flatwoods and Mothman Pokemon Game Freak!

You might want to check out Chocovader. It's untranslated, but it's a Gameboy Advance game in the style of Pokemon where all of the monsters are based on UFO lore. Including both Mothman and a baby Flatwoods monster.

I too love this line for the lore but dislike them for their weakness. Even in doubles they're not that great.

WPS

I really like Elgyem, it's cute. I found a shiny one while searching for one with synchronise and an adamant nature. In a cruel twist of fate, the shiny was exactly that, but for one I'd actually want to use in battle its the opposite of what I'd want. I need to get round to getting an ability capsule.

Beeheeyem's kind of cool too, but I'm not sure I want to evolve my shiny into it. I like the concept of it being in disguise, but its face looks kind of iffy.

I love the idea behind the alien mons but they don't quite hit the mark, props for the trenchcoat and hat look though, that said the first form is probably my preferred of the two.

I may have to look this thread up, finally got it in Europe when it came to the VC earlier this year and it underwhelmed.

Rutger

Banned
This line is pretty cool. I didn't use one though, and it sounds like that was the right choice, sadly.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Mega Beheeyem in Gen VII.

I really like Elgyem, it's cute. I found a shiny one while searching for one with synchronise and an adamant nature. In a cruel twist of fate, the shiny was exactly that, but for one I'd actually want to use in battle its the opposite of what I'd want. I need to get round to getting an ability capsule.

Beeheeyem's kind of cool too, but I'm not sure I want to evolve my shiny into it. I like the concept of it being in disguise, but its face looks kind of iffy.

Yeah Beeheeyem looks weird. When I first caught Elegym, I was excited to find a design I liked and thought it was neat that it was an alien Pokemon. Beheeyem looks kind of odd and I dropped it when it evolved into it on another playthrough I might keep it since it's Special ATK is so high.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I like Elgyem and Beheeyem, though I prefer Elgyem as he's cuter. I haven't decided if I want to use them on my team or not but I am not against the idea.

Also Elgyem reminds me of this guy;

tumblr_m1eo1mg1771qakn55o2_500.gif

They made Pulseman back in the 90s so they do have experience of making a platformer, anyway I like the game as I thought that it was fun and restarting from gear 1 didn't bother me as other game force the player from level 1 plus it didn't take long to regain all gears back again.

Strimei

Black and White came out around the time I was marathoning the X-Files series, which I hadn't given a chance as a kid due to being terrified of the theme song alone,

Hah, same here. My parents loved the show and would watch it all the time, but as a little kid it scared the hell out of me. I actually like it nowadays, but back then it was a very useful tool for my parents to get me to run to my room and give them some peace and quiet.

I've seen others say the same about the theme song. I wonder why it scared so many of us?

And speaking of fears, I am actually very afraid of the stereotypical grey alien, but Elgyem is cute and doesn't bother me. Pity though because I was also disappointed when using it.

CazTGG

Setting aside for a moment that Game Freak has made several platformers before Drill Dozer (most notably and best of all being Pulseman for the Genesis) and a few since then, the gear shifting mechanic was not the main focus of progression for the overall game. While getting the 3rd gear was usually necessary to finish a level, the progression came in the form of the various obstacles and how one has to approach them throughout the level i.e. when to drill, what direction, when to cancel etc. in order to succeed, to say nothing of the bonus areas and the challenge they provide. There are many words i'd used to describe Drill Dozer, but amateruish is not one of them. For further details, I did my own video review a while back if you're curious.

Anyway, Elgyem and its evolution is a really neat looking Pokémon, one that does deserve a better fate than being yet another Gen V Psychic that's outclassed by the version exclusives...as well as the other Special Attack-focused Pokémon more commonly found in the area than it is. I used one upon replaying Pokémon Black and it wasn't very helpful compared to Mienshao. I'm sure it works fine on a Trick Room team but as is, it's hard to hit your opponent with a powerful Psychic attack when it rarely survives long enough to get said hit in.

tumblr_n520lujPy01t0kyzwo1_400.png

Please tell me the dub kept this in.

Toxi

Banned
Love these guys.

They're not very useful and unfortunately are completely outclassed by the Reuniclus line, but I love stereotypical "grey" aliens and I love Pokemon's rendition of them.

Top Bottom