• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Xux

Will the gen V amazing pokemon ever stop? Chandelure is amazing
and fucking annoying as shit in Pokken.
It's cool guys until the legends. Then we can talk about how to draw a quadruped...especially after Zebstrika and Sawsbuck.

Zyrox

Ah we've finally reached it. We can finally see the light. We're done climbing, at last we've arrived at the pinnacle of Gen V. Now we finally can embrace the gentle (and eternal) flame and wallow in its wondrous warmth, for that our souls be mended. Or purged.

Chandelure is one of my fav Pokemon of all time, as soon as I saw that drawing of that spanish leaker dude I knew I had to have one. It was love at first sight. Love the concept and progression of this line. Has some nice lore too.
I was legit fucking shook when someone here first posted Chandelure's Pokken artwork. Pipedream right here. So glad they added it to that game. They've given it a lot of personality which is really nice.

I just wish Chandelure was better competitively. #bringbackshadowtag

And while Chandelure is my fav Gen V Pokemon and my second favorite Ghost type, we ain't done with Gen V ghosts yet. There's still another awesome Ghost Pokemon coming up. Gosh I love this type.

Theorymon

As someone who played the unofficial metagame, "Dream World Ubers", I can safely say that Shadow Tag Chandelure was a MENACE! It was one of the best Pokemon there, being so good that Groudon started running Shed Shell to avoid getting nuked by Choice Scarf Chandelure's Overheat! Honesty, it was scarier than Mega Gengar ever was, you guys might have dodged a real bullet there.

Now a days, I only really use Chandelure in Rotations. To be fair, Chandelure is actually a staple there, since Infilitrator breaks through the dual screens abuse, and it kicks the crap out of Klefki and Meowstic. Also helps that Infilitrator breaks through Substitute, which is nice since Substitute Aegislash is very common in Rotations. Finally, it gets Trick Room so it has speed control. These aspects combined make it quite a force in Rotations!

I've almost never used a Pokemon that evolves with a stone. I'm afraid that if I evolve it too early that I'll miss out on good moves but I don't want to carry a weak Pokemon through most of the game until it learns those moves, so I just avoid them entirely. I did just use Nidoking in Yellow though just because he can learn so many TM's.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
She just wants to give you a hug and call you onii-chan!

Not knowing that she's devouring your soul of course.

Trey

Source:

comic335_zpsea167871.png

this is great, lol

this is great, lol

Besides Lampent and Muk being in the same egg group, making this possible, the whole "don't know how it got there" thing is actually legitimate. There is an NPC in X and Y near the fourth Gym that will tell you that the eggs are not "strictly" eggs, but are more like "cradles." So as much as we like making jokes, there is a real mystery to breeding.

e105zeta

Neo Member
Besides Lampent and Muk being in the same egg group, making this possible, the whole "don't know how it got there" thing is actually legitimate. There is an NPC in X and Y near the fourth Gym that will tell you that the eggs are not "strictly" eggs, but are more like "cradles." So as much as we like making jokes, there is a real mystery to breeding.

I'm basically betting money that we eventually get like a Fairy/Flying Legendary Pokemon called "Storkiddy" that the lore explains delivers baby Pokemon eggs from the Lovey-Lovey Dimension or whatever.

Masuda's crew once even said that they framed Pokemon Breeding as "being from the stork" so people don't think about Pokemon genitals.

CazTGG

Much as I like using Chandelure in Black/White/2 because it's a brilliantly designed and incredibly powerful glass cannon, it wasn't until Pokken where I really started to love this line in particular. Its animation in that game is just so charming that it almost makes you forget it feeds on the souls of the living.

Dak'kon

I think I still prefer Rotom as a Ghost-object Pokemon but it's still a great line. I've not used Chandelure in-game or competitively but if they ever remake the Gen V games I'll be all over it :)

Nightbird

I love the Chandelure line a lot.
Second-most liked fire type line for me! (just after Acranine *_*)

I might breed myself an competetive one...

Forkball

Beheyeem line: These guys completely missed the mark on what they were trying to be. I don't get an "alien" vibe from them at all. It's ironic that the it's inspiration, a "grey alien", is a strikingly simple design, yet this line is completely overdesigned. And they still look like little statues or something akin to Claydol than an actual alien. It's not even good in battle either. Not to mention their names are annoying.

Chandelure line: Now here's a good batch. I love how each evolution is completely distinct yet still following a theme. It's a really interesting take on the idea of possessed objects, and an inspired design for a ghost/fire Pokemon that makes sense. I'm still amazed it got into Pokken though. I also have a level 100 Chandelure I got in a trade that is almost certainly hacked, but I rarely use it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I love lantern and I like looking at Chandelier so naturally I love Litwick, Lampent and Chandelure. Plus I think that they are unique Pokémon just a shame that I won't be able to use them on my team due to them being part fire, so I would have to use them as a reserve.

But anyway can I Axew a question, who's excited for the awesome Unova Dragon Pokémon? I sure am.

Dryk

I've been trying to catch up on my commute. I'm currently up to Oshawott's entry... hopefully I can catch up before the end of Gen VI but I think Gen V is a wash

As someone who played the unofficial metagame, "Dream World Ubers", I can safely say that Shadow Tag Chandelure was a MENACE! It was one of the best Pokemon there, being so good that Groudon started running Shed Shell to avoid getting nuked by Choice Scarf Chandelure's Overheat! Honesty, it was scarier than Mega Gengar ever was, you guys might have dodged a real bullet there.

Now a days, I only really use Chandelure in Rotations. To be fair, Chandelure is actually a staple there, since Infilitrator breaks through the dual screens abuse, and it kicks the crap out of Klefki and Meowstic. Also helps that Infilitrator breaks through Substitute, which is nice since Substitute Aegislash is very common in Rotations. Finally, it gets Trick Room so it has speed control. These aspects combined make it quite a force in Rotations!

I remember I had this strategy I wanted to try out with lampent running curse, will o' wisp, and shadow tag, but shadow tag never got released so I couldn't.

Was so disappointed when they changed it. Although Infiltrator is not a bad move itself.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm basically betting money that we eventually get like a Fairy/Flying Legendary Pokemon called "Storkiddy" that the lore explains delivers baby Pokemon eggs from the Lovey-Lovey Dimension or whatever.

Masuda's crew once even said that they framed Pokemon Breeding as "being from the stork" so people don't think about Pokemon genitals.

more like a species that likes to bring eggs, but not necessarily the way of breeding

hell you might as well have "how do these stork give birth"

THIS is the bane of a lot of TCG player's existence.

With four of these bad boys in the discard pile, along with 4 or 3 of Joltik/Pumpkaboo (depending on if you need Electric or Psychic coverage), means that attacker is pumping out 220 damage a turn, and is basically unstoppable.

It's cool guys until the legends. Then we can talk about how to draw a quadruped...especially after Zebstrika and Sawsbuck.

to draw a quadruped, lol. more like to draw the goofiest fucking monsters this side of any monster-training franchise. the musketeers are the worst the worst the worst ever

but yeah, looking at the pokedex pretty much every other monster we haven't seen this gen is great besides the legendaries, and heatmor, nobody cares about heatmor

Poke-Porthos isn't awful, the rest are gross and some of the worst legends in the series.

I've also been calling him Porthos for so long, I barely remember his actual name lol

I'd take the musketeers over the regis any day. At least the musketeers have a little personality.

But the Regis have personality from not having any personality. Being cold hearted robotic monsters of destruction is awesome. No feeling. No emotion. You can't bargain with them. You can't reason with them. If they detect that you are a threat, they will destroy you.

Regis also actually have good designs.

Musketeers are the only Pokemon that actually feel so out of place for me. I honestly even prefer the genies.

Rutger

Banned
But the Regis have personality from not having any personality. Being cold hearted robotic monsters of destruction is awesome. No feeling. No emotion. You can't bargain with them. You can't reason with them. If they detect that you are a threat, they will destroy you.

Too bad they look too stupid to be intimidating enough to pull that off.
Thankfully Golurk exists to fix that mistake.

Rutger

Banned
Golurk is the opposite of intimidating, it's literally one of the most huggable looking robots I've ever seen.

Yes, but it's also about 9 feet tall, I wouldn't want to see it angry.
The Regis look like they're about to fall apart.

Really though, I think I said it back during the regis, the emotionless golem doesn't work for me. Not much that can be done about that since that's the point. I guess Golurk is able to avoid that because of the giant robot connection. My views on the regis is also hurt by how disappointing they are for what we need to do to find them. They really should have just been Snorlax-like, blocking the road instead of Kecleon.

Cobalion had some bad sprites/art, but I don't really get all the hate the Musketeers get.

MANUELF

Banned
"Of course Best Wishes, being a children's anime and all (and aiming even lower it felt) completely ignored Litwick's villainy, instead casting them as playful Pokemon who befriended Team Rocket's Yamask and then unknowingly participated in Team Rocket's schemes to capture Pikachu. You know, silly ghost Pokemon and all---but hey, y'know, Team Rocket suddenly looks oddly skinny and tired? And, wait a second, even the gang's Pokemon look pretty sickly? Then things get pretty dark as the Litwick drop the charade of being playful Pokemon and literally open a portal to hell and try to suck everyone into it, the gang working their hardest to repel them and eventually succeeding, the Litwick being flung into the "Ghost World" for good"
What episode is this? I NEED to see it

Spyware

Cobalion is the oly musketeer that looks silly. Virizion is amazing and Terrakion looks just fine.

As for the Litwick family I can just say the exact same as everyone else... it's awesome.

e105zeta

Neo Member
Cobalion is the only musketeer that looks truly bad. It's pretty unfortunate that it's the "face" of the band, so to speak. It actually makes me think of two people in one of those terrible duo Halloween costumes. The other three look fine or great.

gardfish

Plenty of time to talk about the musketeers when we get to them, but yeah, Cobalion's easily the worst of the bunch. Even then, though, something just puts me off about the other two. They feel too...cartoony? Which I suppose is a weird complaint to have about Pokemon, of all things, but that's the best word I can think of to describe it.

I actually quite like Keldeo, though, which I understand is apparently a bit of an unpopular opinion. Its Resolute Form looks pretty cool and it has some nice animations in Gen 6.

GoldStarz

Man people are just wrecking on Cobalion for no good reason. In my opinion, he's easily my favorite of the bunch. How can you go wrong with a Pokemon with a BUILT-IN hankerchief and mustache?
answer: you CANNOT

Azuran

Banned
Man people are just wrecking on Cobalion for no good reason. In my opinion, he's easily my favorite of the bunch. How can you go wrong with a Pokemon with a BUILT-IN hankerchief and mustache?
answer: you CANNOT

It's the feet. The rest of the design is fine to me but I just can't get past those feet.

Top Bottom