• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Spyware

Not even remotely close to the greatest of Gen V for me but it's a great mon. I'll always love mons with unique typing, however weak or strong they may be. I wish we had one of every combination already.

Malakai

I do find it interesting that it appears some of the flying Pokemon actually have ground models as seen in the latest distribution:

ChiRxz1XEAAI-BQ.jpg
ChiRx4EXEAQAP06.jpg

ChiRx2sW0AAdgAu.jpg

Roost, Gravity, Smack Down (force flying and levitating Pokemon to the ground) and the Ironball item that keep Flying Pokemon or Pokemon that have the levitate ability to the ground.

WPS

Roost, Gravity, Smack Down (force flying and levitating Pokemon to the ground) and the Ironball item that keep Flying Pokemon or Pokemon that have the levitate ability to the ground.
These don't actually cause the grounded animations to appear though. They're exclusive to PokéMon-Amie.

Golurk is awesome. I used one in White (called Dorfl) and he was a lot of fun. It's a shame he only really has Dynamic Punch to abuse No Guard with, since his typing means he's got little reason to fear opponents taking advantage of his own ability.

I can't wait for another game like PBR that shows pokémon to scale. Golurk is pretty big for a pokémon.

CazTGG

The Golurk I used once involved using Shadow Punch/Earthquake/Ice Punch/Rock Polish (it had Iron Fist) as a surprising sweeper. No one ever expects the magnificent golem to speed up and crush them with its mighty fists. I love Golurk's design, but its typing doesn't exactly make use of its decent bulk given that while it have a few immunities, the weakness to Water and Grass don't exactly help it out much. Definitely a Pokémon that could use a cross-gen evolution or a Mega.

Zyrox

Another Ghost type, another winner. Golurk? More like, GOATlurk. Amazing Pokémon and definitely one of Gen V's finest in my book. He's a giant super fighting golem/robot that can FLY. What's not to love? Golurk in Pokkén when?
Also fun fact, at 2.8m Golurk is the tallest bipedal non-legendary Pokémon. Only 10cm shorter than Zekrom, the shortest cover legend.

Hopefully he gets some buffs via an evolution/stat boosts/an awesome ability in the future. Dude's too cool to job like that.

Macka

These are definitely some of the best of Gen V, and I've grown to like them a lot. Golurk is kinda dorky looking in a really endearing way, and Golurk is just plain badass. I appreciate the cracked chest like the Golems of Prague being incorporated into the design as well.

Mega Golurk has to be one of my most anticipated Mega Evolutions.

Rutger

Banned
Yeah, this is easily the best Golem Pokemon, manages to have a lot of personality despite the unchanging face, something the Regis couldn't pull off. I don't know if I'd call it my favorite Gen V Pokemon, though I don't know who that would be anyways.

Great design and a cool type combo. It really needs a Mega because a super robot without a temporary powerup form is incomplete.

WarAdept

Top tier design wise Pokemon that's super fun to play with.

It also confused the fuck out of me. What the hell? It's a massive silvery looking golem? How is it not dying to Fire? Cross Chop missed?!

Another Ghost type, another winner. Golurk? More like, GOATlurk. Amazing Pokémon and definitely one of Gen V's finest in my book. He's a giant super fighting golem/robot that can FLY. What's not to love? Golurk in Pokkén when?
Also fun fact, at 2.8m Golurk is the tallest bipedal non-legendary Pokémon. Only 10cm shorter than Zekrom, the shortest cover legend.

Hopefully he gets some buffs via an evolution/stat boosts/an awesome ability in the future. Dude's too cool to job like that.

Yeah, why the hell wasn't he in Pokken?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So hey dudes, tomorrow I won't be able to watch the big Sun and Moon reveal live---it's apparently gonna be on YouTube, right? Can someone PM me a link to the video when it's posted so I can directly jump into it without being spoiled? Thanks!

If we get some new Pokemon tomorrow I might briefly right up some stuff on them here too.

GoldStarz

So hey dudes, tomorrow I won't be able to watch the big Sun and Moon reveal live---it's apparently gonna be on YouTube, right? Can someone PM me a link to the video when it's posted so I can directly jump into it without being spoiled? Thanks!

If we get some new Pokemon tomorrow I might briefly right up some stuff on them here too.

Sure, no problems!

clemenx

Banned
This thread is Pokemon safeheaven. Could only read first page on the new reveal thread... Jesus all the regular complains are already there.

gardfish

This thread is Pokemon safeheaven. Could only read first page on the new reveal thread... Jesus all the regular complains are already there.

Yep. I don't know why I'm surprised by it every single time. There've definitely been starter sets that I've been indifferent about or somewhat disliked, but never stuff like "these look like absolute shit" which always seems like such an overreaction to me.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yep. I don't know why I'm surprised by it every single time. There've definitely been starter sets that I've been indifferent about or somewhat disliked, but never stuff like "these look like absolute shit" which always seems like such an overreaction to me.

It's the usual GAF reaction and when confronted would go to "muh opinions" shit defense.

Which is why this thread is great, since discussions are abound.

It's the usual GAF reaction and when confronted would go to "muh opinions" shit defense.

Which is why this thread is great, since discussions are abound.

It's nice having a place where people who actually like Pokemon can come share their opinions - positive and negative.

It's also nice to reaffirm that every single Pokemon has fans, regardless of what the detractors would like to believe.

Patiently holding out for a Delphox defense force. That, however, is a topic for another day.

--

As for Golurk, I've never raised one myself, but damn if it isn't the best daggone thing. Big ol' ghostly golem that can fly and has rockets and will punch the hell out of anything.

Watch Da Birdie

So I did a quick run-down of the Sun and Moon Starters, will do quick run-downs of future New Pokemon as well---waiting for more info on the Legendaries first though.

FcPUOr7.png

#722(?) - Rowlet
Grass/Flying

I gotta say, this is my favorite of the batch---and could potentially become one of my favorite Grass-type Starters of all time if its evolutions turn out good. One of my ideas for a Generation VII Starter was actually an owl, though I always thought a Fire-type with a flaming mask would've been cool. Anyway, first things first, Rowlet is the first Starter Pokemon since Bulbasaur to begin with two Types---Grass/Flying. It's interesting that Game Freak decided to do this, though it doesn't mess up the initial Type Triangle much since Flying has no relationship to Fire or Water. This will mean though that Rowlet won't have Grass' usual weakness to early game Bug-type Pokemon, but in the long run it's gonna be seriously hurting due to all those weaknesses. Hope it gets a good Ability to negate that---perhaps Gale Wings as a Hidden Ability? Anyway, Rowlet also happens to know a new move known as "Leafage" which seems to be an early-game counterpart to Ember and Water Gun and I'm guessing is basically a weaker, Special-based Razor Leaf. I wonder if it may actually trade out its Flying-type for another Type as it evolves, that'd be pretty interesting.

So Rowlet finally gives us something I've wanted since Generation V---we now have a full set of bird-based Starters for each Type in Rowlet, Torchic, and Piplup. Kind of neat, huh? He also breaks the mold once more like Chespin did in being another non-reptilian Grass-type Starter and thus it seems Game Freak is finally moving away from that---some fans also claim the Grass Starters all end up being based on prehistoric animals, Chesnaught resembling one of those ancient mammals with the large shells, but I really can't picture Rowlet fitting into that since I imagine it'll stay pretty much a modern owl rather than revert into some kind of ancient bird creature. Rowlet is obviously based on the barn owl, showcasing the bird's creepy beady-eyes, "masked face", flat beak, and stealthiness---the barn owl can also be found in Hawaii so it fits the Region quite nicely. Its feathers appear to be made of grass, though rather than going with the usual green they made it visually stand out from the majority of Grass-type by going with a tawny color instead, and it also has a little leaf bow-tie---I imagine as it evolves the bowtie motif may be expanded with it ending up resembling a gentleman-type figure fitting the idea of the wise owl. People have also pointed out its face resembles a cut out apple, and overall I think everything about this design works together quite nicely. In a way though, it's a pretty creepy looking Starter Pokemon don't you think?

We don't know much about the show of course, so I'm wondering how they're gonna divide the Starters up this time around---you know since they gave Ash so many Flying-types in Generation VI, I wonder if in SM they might just give him Rowlet and have it cover both his Grass-type and his Flying-type, letting him skip out on the early bird Pokemon for once.

jIhV2AO.png

#725(?) - Litten
Fire

Litten is the Fire-type Starter. I'm hoping this Pokemon ends up evolving into a Fire/Poison Pokemon, because already it sort of has a "grungy" look to it and its body is said to be covered with flammable oils so why not have it utilize poisonous oils in addition to that? I'm guessing it's probably gonna be pretty quick too, and might have a bunch of Dark and Poison-type status moves. I definitely think it'll end up being one of those Types.

I'm not a fan of cat-based Pokemon, we have so many of them as it is, yet having one as the Starter feels kind of refreshing and I think Litten's pretty cute. It kind of fits into Hawaii as they apparently have a serious problem with stray cats. You'll notice it's the most "feminine" of the three and has sort of a punk tween-girl aesthetic as it gives the impression of it wearing a knit cap and having on striped socks, plus its whiskers kind of look like frumpy pig tails. It's a nice secondary motif they incorporated into the base cat design and I rather like it, it sort of gives me a Splatoon vibe in that sense. Most people think it's gonna end up being a tiger due to the stripes---and to fit the Zodiac motif, though technically there's already a "lost" cat Zodiac sign---but given its cute appearance here I think it won't end up growing into a powerful tiger but will stay sleek, like a bobcat perhaps. It has some fun cat elements to it here such as having flaming fur balls and as shown in the art when threatened it arcs its back, causing red spikes to pop out.

Definitely think they're gonna give this to the Female M.C. in the SM anime.

qd2ZWtK.png

#728(?) - Popplio
Water

This Pokemon is the Water-type Starter, and if you ask me is kind of a retread of the Spheal-line---or so that's my projection here from what we know. That doesn't bother me really, and I actually hope it becomes Water/Ice because I've always wanted to see that used on Water-type Starter.

So, Bulbapedia thinks this Pokemon might include "lio" from "'lio-holo-i-ka-uaua", the Hawaiian name for the native monk seal, but I don't think that was the intent and it's just meant to be a misspelling of "leo" since it's a sea lion. While it'd be fitting for it to be a monk seal, it really doesn't look like one since it has ears like a sea lion whereas the monk seal belongs to the earless seal family, though as we've seen with Seel and Spheal Game Freak aren't too picky about getting that differentiation exactly right. So Popplio takes the idea of circus sea lions even further than Sealeo did---which had the whole obsession with juggling balls on its nose---by looking even more like a circus performer and can also make water balloons (as in balloons made of water) that it uses to perform acrobatics and such. Apparently Samurott was inspired by Game Freak witnessing a performing sea lion, and now it's come back full-circle in reverse---I'm guessing Popplio is gonna stick to being a sea lion and will probably end up looking more like a clown by the time it's fully evolved. In a way, could this sort of end up replacing Oshawott?

I'm guessing if Ash doesn't get this, the third sidekick will in the show. Though its performance motif might fit the girl too.

Ooh, what if the cat was Fire/Poison? That'd be awesome.

Also I can't believe I didn't notice the bowtie on Rowlet. If it gets a cool 2nd/final evo, I'll probably choose it as my starter because I am for sure NOT feeling Popplio's look. Two ugly water starters in a row... :(

Spyware

I wasn't a fan of Litten and Popplio when I watched the trailer, only Rowlet was that kind of instant "oooh" mon. But the extra pics from the official site and just seeing them more won me over. I like all of them now.
I base most of my opinions on starters on the last form tho and I'm not gonna let myself fall for one of these until I know what they will become. Oshawott burned me sooo bad.

gardfish

Popplio's my pick this time for sure, it's adorable and it's got so much sass, I love it. The art of it making bubbles and doing flips totally sold me.

Rowlet is cute too, but its color scheme is a little too drab for my liking. I'm totally expecting Ash to catch him in the anime, though.

Litten surprised me the first time I saw it because it seemed so uncharacteristic of the friendly-looking starters we usually get. It's kinda growing on me, though. I saw that apparently its eyes and the mark on its head form the alchemical symbol for sulfur/brimstone, which is really cool.

The cat will end up fire/fighting hopefully. The sea lion will evolve into a bipedal otter as the duality of Samurott
Another fire/fighting? I'm amazed there's anyone who isn't tired of those by now. I like the angle people are going with for Fire/Poison. Though, Fire/Dark seems just as likely to me.

Not gonna matter to me, I though. I'm 100% sold on grassowl.

WPS

Rowlet is great and I'm almost certainly picking it. With the bow tie and apple design touches, I wonder if it will have a teacher theme, or if that's a red herring like Froakie's Franklin resemblance.

Litten didn't catch my attention at first, even as a cat lover. I hadn't noticed the girly pigtails and beanie motif until you pointed it out though, and actually that makes it a lot cooler.

Popplio, I'm still not sold on. It's design's just a little off to me. I think it would be better if it dropped the whisker markings and maybe had a design feature towards the back of its head to counter its bright white snout?

Another fire/fighting? I'm amazed there's anyone who isn't tired of those by now. I like the angle people are going with for Fire/Poison. Though, Fire/Dark seems just as likely to me.

Not gonna matter to me, I though. I'm 100% sold on grassowl.

I just like fire/fighting because it has become a tradition like Christmas and Cinco de Mayo.
And I like seeing the disappointment of other people

CazTGG

The cat will end up fire/fighting hopefully. The sea lion will evolve into a bipedal otter as the duality of Samurott

Why is that a good thing? We'd had three Fire-Fighting Pokémon and while I suspect we will get one starter who gains a fighting-type, that's more because we've gotten one every generation since R/S/E:

Gen III: Blaziken
Gen IV: Infernape
Gen V: Emboar
Gen VI: Chesnaught

Given the black cat motif, one might assume it'll end up with either Dark or Poison as its second type but then again, I never thought Tepig would become this:
250px-500Emboar.png

I really don't want to see Litten Fighting-type-ized.

Side-note: I just realized this: Litten, as in lit. As in, lighting a fire. Cute.

e105zeta

Neo Member
I like all three of them, but mostly I'm struck by how very "American Cartoon" they all look. They don't look very far off from being characters in a Hanna-Barbera production.

Rowlett's obviously my favorite, since I adore owls, especially in bowties.

I really, really hope Litten is Fire/Poison instead of Fire/Dark. It would definitely fit its lore of being the "flaming oil" Pokemon and probably create a unique niche for it as a Moonblast soaker.

Popplio's OK. It would be totally hilarious if it evolved into a giant otter, just to screw with people.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I thought they had a more Western aesthetic myself---wonder if Turner's behind them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I like Popplio in all of the artwork we see. Its just the 3D model where I go "eh", the solid blue coloration doesn't translate well to the 3D IMO

e105zeta

Neo Member
Mostly I'm just relieved that the rumors about Sun and Moon's starters being a choice between the first 18 main starters + Pikachu, Eevee, and Riolu as a "celebration" of Pokemon's anniversary turned out to be false. I was actually kind of leaning towards it being legit given that XY had only 70 new Pokemon and all other development time apparently went into the Mega Pokemon "Older Means Better" Nostalgiapalooza.

Top Bottom