• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ruffian Games (Crackdown 2) breaks ties with Paradox, Hollowpoint being re-evaluated

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-08-ruffians-hollowpoint-on-hold-paradox-partnership-dead

Ruffian, developer of Crackdown 2, announced Hollowpoint in 2014 as part of Sony's Gamescom conference. It was billed as a co-op tactical action game that rekindled memories of Shadow Complex.

The collapse of the publishing deal was brought to light by website GameWatcher.com. Paradox issued a statement that suggested creative differences were to blame.

After recent ongoing discussions between the two companies, it became apparent to both parties that the creative vision for the project was diverging and so the decision was ultimately taken to cease our co-operation in order to serve the long-term interests of the game.
We would like to thank Ruffian Games for all their hard work and wish them the best of luck in their future endeavours. Paradox will be re-evaluating the creative direction of Hollowpoint internally before making any final decisions.

Today, Ruffian has issued a statement of its own to Eurogamer, revealing it stopped working with Paradox on Hollowpoint in summer 2015. But it pointed to new projects, including Fragmental, a couch-play multiplayer twin-stick shooter it self-published on Steam as an Early Access title in February 2016. The reception so far has been positive.

Here's the statement:
We ceased working with Paradox on Hollowpoint in Summer 2015 and we wish them well for the future. Since then we've continued to work on multiple projects and we released Fragmental on Steam Early Access just last week. We are looking forward to supporting Fragmental with regular feature and content updates towards a launch version later this year.

It seems the focus right now for Ruffian at least is on Fragmental (gameplay video below), which leaves Hollowpoint somewhat dead in the water. Here's hoping it one day sees the light of day.

edit: dev posted

We released Fragmental last week on Steam Early Access, it's very early days for the game and there's a lot of stuff we're adding to it in the coming months, including single player and online multiplayer.

Everyone who's playing the game likes it a lot and all we want is for people to have fun. It's a game made to be enjoyed with friends. Shoot each other and have fun. It's not trying to be anything more complicated than that. We like it and we're enjoying making what we like to play. :)

And that's not the only thing we're working on. We're doing fine.

Paz

Fragmental launched 2 weeks ago and has 4 Steam reviews, talk about flying under the radar, was a bit confused when they said it had a positive reception and I'd never heard of it.

Sounds like Ruffian are going through a rough patch that's for sure :/

Fragmental launched 2 weeks ago and has 4 Steam reviews, talk about flying under the radar, was a bit confused when they said it had a positive reception and I'd never heard of it.

Has Ruffian been in anything but a rough patch since, well, always?

Steam spy had it at 500 owners but not sure about reliability for it at a certain number.

They are still working with MS according to some stuff I dug up on LinkedIn and their website, sounded like some halo for PC stuff.

I guess this also explains why the Sony paradox deal didn't last (with cities skylines first on Xbox) because they only released magicka 2 iirc, this and the internally developed rpg got put on hold/cancelled. It's a shame as I was looking forward to both titles

Elandyll

Banned
Damn :(
I was just wondering what happened to Hollow Point yesterday with Paradox flirting with the idea of going through an IPO.

Hope they don't shelve it, was really looking forward to it with what we saw.

dugdug

Banned
Figures since we haven't seen it (Hollowpoint) in a while, and, all they talk about on Twitter is Fragmental.

Jimaroid

Neo Member
We released Fragmental last week on Steam Early Access, it's very early days for the game and there's a lot of stuff we're adding to it in the coming months, including single player and online multiplayer.

Everyone who's playing the game likes it a lot and all we want is for people to have fun. It's a game made to be enjoyed with friends. Shoot each other and have fun. It's not trying to be anything more complicated than that. We like it and we're enjoying making what we like to play. :)

And that's not the only thing we're working on. We're doing fine.

Top Bottom