• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: 3DS finally hacked?

Haha, it really isn't. Consumer gonna consume regardless if they want to spend money on that game. Nintendo has instead found a way instead to tell that consumer to go shove it or import an entire hardware system just to play those games.

The 3DS isnt going to suddenly become unviable to developers looking to sell, just look at the easily pirated DS, or the remarkably simple Wii. Both still sold plenty of software. Stop yer flimsy defence. Hell, Vita must be what developers have been looking for all along!
So you are ignoring the collapse in DS software. Right.

No, you're right, the proliferation of 100 in One carts at the end of the DS's life had no effect, the utter collapse of software (particularly in Europe) came from nowhere, devs who were stung by this are blowing smoke. Whatever.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Why would you care if moms could buy 100 games in a card? How does that affect you? It certainly doesn't affect me. There are people who can pirate any PC game that is released in a matter of minutes. That has literally zero impact on me enjoying my games on PC.

Eh, maybe it's just me overexaggerating...I know that we still continued to see many good games being released on DS here in the West too despite piracy being so easy to get for people, but I feel it happened also due to DS being so successful in the West too. 3DS won't repeat those numbers in the West, so I fear that kind of piracy could have a bigger effect. But I repeat, maybe I'm just too anxious about this, especially given Vita is not a challenger like PSP was for Japanese support, but still... I repeat that I believe that kind of piracy won't be seen on 3DS too, at least.

Dantis

No, you're right, the proliferation of 100 in One carts at the end of the DS's life had no effect, the utter collapse of software (particularly in Europe) came from nowhere, devs who were stung by this are blowing smoke. Whatever.

And yet Atlus continued to develop games on the system.

Funny, that.

Durante

If you genuinely don't think piracy and it's effects on software sales aren't a bigger issue than you playing a single title, then I don't really know where to begin.
If piracy prevents developers from working on 3DS, then maybe they'll develop for platforms without (or with easily defeatable) region locking instead. Win-win.

ZanDatsu

What can I say, Nintendo? 自業自得. I honestly do hope it doesn't lead to rampant piracy, but at the same time, I wanna play some gosh darn games that aren't available in my region.

Dascu

Yes.

Are you actually suggesting that Atlus don't have an Atlus EU branch due to DS piracy?

I don't know, maybe we should ask the local Ghostlight rep why they are hesitant in localizing many niche titles. Probably because the investment and opportunity costs seem too high compared to the expected revenue. And maybe that expected revenue is low because of lost sales due to piracy, among other things at least. Point is I don't know and we cannot know how many lost sales and foregone profits are due to piracy. But I do imagine that, if anything, it has had a negative impact on video game sales.

Foffy

Banned
I think we need a new thread that asks what 3DS games people will import immediately if this goes through.

Seeing the slow, awful trend NoA has had with releasing games these last few years, I'm sure a number of titles from NoE will be up my alley. I'm sure many Europeans will have better oppurtunities to get products like Devil Survivor: Overlocked which still isn't out in Europe yet, a year and a half after it's North American release. This is also a bit subtle but something that always blossoms via system hacks; fan translations. Soma Bringer, Fire Emblem 12, Valkyria Chronicles III, Tales of Innocence, Tales of Hearts, Archiac Sealed Heat, Fatal Frame IV, SaGa II, Culdcept, Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2, Kingdom Hearts BbS Final Mix and a ton of other games have been translated into English just last generation thanks to exploits and hackers being able to eventually pop open the hood on the platform. While it's important to acknowledge that opening up the system which empowers the consumer with more choice for purchases, and while it can also make companies worry about their bottom dollar, it also helps hardcore fans of games that for one reason of another were never fully picked up by a company for a translated release. In fact, lately I've hacked my platforms in hopes for fan-translations coming down the pipeline, which is what I expect for a game like Project X Zone if it's not localized.

test_account

XP-39C²
So it begins.

But, you know, keep sticking your fingers in your ears, guys.
He says he wont support 3DS anymore if piracy becomes a reality. Right now he/they doesnt have many other options to avoid piracy though. Vita is the only system that isnt hacked yet actually (the WiiU as well, but it doesnt seem that it is that long until it will be hacked).

When Dementium 1 was released, i believe that piracy was already quite active on the DS. At least he say that he will never know exactly why Dementium 2 sold less, but it could be due to less adverticing etc.. It isnt that unheard of that a sequel sell less.

Dantis

I don't know, maybe we should ask the local Ghostlight rep why they are hesitant in localizing many niche titles. Probably because the investment and opportunity costs seem too high compared to the expected revenue. And maybe that expected revenue is low because of lost sales due to piracy, among other things at least. Point is I don't know and we cannot know how many lost sales and foregone profits are due to piracy. But I do imagine that, if anything, it has had a negative impact on video game sales.

Ghostlight.

Hesitant to localise niche titles.

Wut.

They're entire library consists of niche titles. The reason they don't do more is because they're so small.

More importantly, this has nothing to do with Atlus JP continuing to develop games for the system.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

And yet with no extra hardware required, people can play all PC games for free and yet somehow theres a healthy ecosystem for developers right there. The sky isn't falling in on 3DS just because it gets hacked. As others have said, so have the 360 and PS3 and yet theyre still greatly viable markets for devs. Just for some reason its this time around certain bloggers and messageboard posters are getting in a flap.

I'm the first to decry people as spouting nonsense wanting hardware cracked just for emulators and media guff, but I virtually have pom poms out for the 3DS getting hacked and having its region free bullshit torn out and thrown into the street for everyone to give a good kicking. Worse still of course is Nintendo's lack of account download system making back ups almost entirely necessary. As it stands, the device is truly terribly anti-consumer, and our noble hacking overlords will hopefully see to guide us through these dark portable times.

duckroll

It seems much more complicated than that in Europe. If the issue is just that they feel there is no reason to release games because of piracy, then there would be no releases at all. Instead, what we see is that there are companies interested in releasing Japanese games, but they're just incompetent and slow. Look at the entire Persona 4 Arena situation for example. They promised fans that it wouldn't take too long from the JP/US release. Then they delayed it. Then they delayed it again. Now it's not even going to make it out in 2012, and by the time they do release it, no one else in the world will be playing and the game will probably sell really poorly because there is no more interest in the title.

That's not piracy, that's terrible business management. It's something that is rife in the European game industry, especially when it comes to localization for overseas releases.

Dascu

Ghostlight.

Hesitant to localise niche titles.

Wut.

They're entire library consists of niche titles. The reason they don't do more is because they're so small.

More importantly, this has nothing to do with Atlus JP continuing to develop games for the system.

1. Why isn't Ghostlight expanding if localization was a lucrative market?
2. The post you quoted and the point that I raised was particularly about Europe. I don't know a lot about piracy in Japan. But I have noticed that sales figures for handheld games are generally higher than in other regions. Maybe the piracy rate is the same, but the general consumer apparently has a higher willingness to pay than in Europe (or the USA).

Since I'm in the same boat as you (I want my SMT games in Belgium), I heartily welcome region-free hacks on the 3DS. Though I fear that it may lead to a dangerous self-fulfilling prophecy for reluctant publishers. Region-free hacks will lead to higher import numbers and lower internal market purchases (after they eventually do get localized + the RPGs that are localized may suffer lower sales because consumers instead import perceived higher-quality RPGs from abroad). Plus most likely those same hacks will make it easier for piracy. Result: Lower retail sales in Europe, even less incentive for publishers to localize, more imports and piracy, repeat.

It seems much more complicated than that in Europe. If the issue is just that they feel there is no reason to release games because of piracy, then there would be no releases at all. Instead, what we see is that there are companies interested in releasing Japanese games, but they're just incompetent and slow. Look at the entire Persona 4 Arena situation for example. They promised fans that it wouldn't take too long from the JP/US release. Then they delayed it. Then they delayed it again. Now it's not even going to make it out in 2012, and by the time they do release it, no one else in the world will be playing and the game will probably sell really poorly because there is no more interest in the title.

That's not piracy, that's terrible business management. It's something that is rife in the European game industry, especially when it comes to localization for overseas releases.
Yeah sure, agreed. Question though, why this terrible business management? Is it only incompetence on their side? Or are they strapped for cash due to low revenue (due to piracy maybe)? Or a combination of both? I don't know these things and I wish I could take a look at what's going on during those board meetings and discussions at publishers and localization companies. 'Cause I really want my Japanese games here in English and I can't see a clear solution to the present problems if all we have is speculation and guesswork.

Yeah sure, agreed. Question though, why this terrible business management? Is it only incompetence on their side? Or are they strapped for cash due to low revenue (due to piracy maybe)? Or a combination of both? I don't know these things and I wish I could take a look at what's going on during those board meetings and discussions at publishers and localization companies. 'Cause I really want my Japanese games here in English and I can't see a clear solution to the present problems if all we have is speculation and guesswork.

In this case, it's because Atlus hasn't sent the discs yet to the European publisher, so the European publisher literally has no game to put in boxes. It's Atlus screwing over Europe for fun, it seems, and nothing more. Hell, it's inevitable that Persona 4 Gold will get a European release before Arena.

duckroll

I have a good way of summarizing the state of the thread right now.

Pro-tip: In the end, anything that is remotely attractive will pirated. This is a fact. There is no way to stop determined pirates and this has been proven over and over again in the short time the internet has been with us in the past two decades.

So the point here is, if somehow the advent of piracy is tied to something which also makes buying customers who do not pirate rejoice, this means you're doing something wrong. That does not mean buying customers are cheering for piracy, it means that either the feature set in the base package is not satisfactory, or that somehow in the pursuit of preventing piracy something has been implemented which has an adverse effect on paying customers. Neither of these factors are good. Ideally, a company should keep consumers happy because they are what keeps the company alive. If no one buys anything, then the company dies. It is often better to put resources towards keeping customers who you know exist happy, rather than being stubborn and believing that by preventing piracy completely, you will automatically make money. This is why in general every draconian DRM scheme has largely failed.

Nintendo's "problem" in this situation is simply that there are legitimate consumers who want to see the system hacked simply because they want a functionality which is not in the system itself but should be. If this were not the case, would the 3DS still be hacked eventually? Absolutely. But there wouldn't be as loud a voice on NeoGAF celebrating this fact. Some people seem to have a problem with this. Yes I'm referring to those people who express over and over how "myopic" people are when they celebrate the 3DS potentially being hacked. It's not being myopic, it's being realistic. Every system gets hacked. It's just that in many cases, most people here simply don't care much.

The 360 is hacked. The PS3 is hacked. There have been threads talking about this same thing. Jailbreaking a system is not on its own a bad thing. It eventually leads to piracy, yes, but that's not something anyone is going to stop ever. So the real question would be: is there any benefit to me when it does happen. If there is, that's great. If not, then whatever. Arguing against this would imply that somehow if people didn't "want" the 3DS to be region free, it wouldn't be hacked. Everyone knows that's not true either. So since a system being hacked is something which can never be prevented, why argue against the people who actually have a legitimate use for it happening? That seems silly to me.

Dantis

1. Why isn't Ghostlight expanding if localization was a lucrative market?

Because the games they localise sustain them, and nothing more. These games are very niche.

If the decision now to localise was down to piracy, they probably would have said. As it is, there are only four recent SMT games they've passed on, and except for DeSu (By the time they got the contracts worked out for it, Overclocked was out, so they're briging that out instead), they're very low-selling games. Soul Hackers and to an extent SMT4 will likely also be low-selling games.

Lack of EU localisation isn't about piracy, it's about selling it to our market.

EDIT: I guess Duckroll just finished this conversation. There's not much more to say.

I'm mixed about this, I've always been against piracy but I love to play Japanese games... the big problem is that everyone's just going to pirate everything whenever this comes out... and we all know the market isn't doing that well anymore.

Platy

Nintendo's "problem" in this situation is simply that there are legitimate consumers who want to see the system hacked simply because they want a functionality which is not in the system itself but should be. If this were not the case, would the 3DS still be hacked eventually? Absolutely. But there wouldn't be as loud a voice on NeoGAF celebrating this fact. Some people seem to have a problem with this. Yes I'm referring to those people who express over and over how "myopic" people are when they celebrate the 3DS potentially being hacked. It's not being myopic, it's being realistic. Every system gets hacked. It's just that in many cases, most people here simply don't care much.

If It helps, i'm MUCH more interested in homebrew than importing games ... I can't read japanese anyway xD

But the DS homebrew was one of the most awesome things EVER !

Animatee (if not obvious, it is a simple animation program) and the original Colors! were the most played things in my DS

And thinking about the possibilities of a more powerfull hardware WITH 3D ... the possibilities are endless !

The main issue with localisation for Europe is that you have around 10 different languages in the continent.

Quite a bit more than that.

Isn't there an EU law or some such that products have to be in the 5 major languages (English, German, French, Spanish, Italian)? Even if not a game would have to be for it to be able to sell decently which would be the major reason text heavy niche games don't come out often in Europe.

Tenki

Isn't there an EU law or some such that products have to be in the 5 major languages (English, German, French, Spanish, Italian)? Even if not a game would have to be for it to be able to sell decently which would be the major reason text heavy niche games don't come out often in Europe.

I don't think that law exists. Kingdom Hearts 3D wasn't translated to Spanish or Italian.

duckroll

If It helps, i'm MUCH more interested in homebrew than importing games ... I can't read japanese anyway xD

Animatee (if not obvious, it is a simple animation program) and the original Colors! were the most played things in my DS

And thinking about the possibilities of a more powerfull hardware WITH 3D ... the possibilities are endless !

Sure, there are definitely people interested in homebrew. This is true for every system. But my point was that in general, the more functionality which is perceived as lacking, the more you will find that people who aren't into piracy will also be interested in a system being hacked.

The PSP is a great example of this. It was region free, but it had so many functionality issues that homebrew actually made the system MUCH more useful for many people. Faster load times, video output, no need to swap UMDs and carry them around, controller support before the PSP Go, etc.

Berg

I have a good way of summarizing the state of the thread right now.

Pro-tip: In the end, anything that is remotely attractive will pirated. This is a fact. There is no way to stop determined pirates and this has been proven over and over again in the short time the internet has been with us in the past two decades.

So the point here is, if somehow the advent of piracy is tied to something which also makes buying customers who do not pirate rejoice, this means you're doing something wrong. That does not mean buying customers are cheering for piracy, it means that either the feature set in the base package is not satisfactory, or that somehow in the pursuit of preventing piracy something has been implemented which has an adverse effect on paying customers. Neither of these factors are good. Ideally, a company should keep consumers happy because they are what keeps the company alive. If no one buys anything, then the company dies. It is often better to put resources towards keeping customers who you know exist happy, rather than being stubborn and believing that by preventing piracy completely, you will automatically make money. This is why in general every draconian DRM scheme has largely failed.

The 360 is hacked. The PS3 is hacked. There have been threads talking about this same thing. Jailbreaking a system is not on its own a bad thing. It eventually leads to piracy, yes, but that's not something anyone is going to stop ever. So the real question would be: is there any benefit to me when it does happen. If there is, that's great. If not, then whatever. Arguing against this would imply that somehow if people didn't "want" the 3DS to be region free, it wouldn't be hacked. Everyone knows that's not true either. So since a system being hacked is something which can never be prevented, why argue against the people who actually have a legitimate use for it happening? That seems silly to me.

Except the fact that technology has advanced, is advancing, and it's not "these have been hacked, so this can too". It's obviously any hardware developers goal to stop piracy, and they're exploring and using any avenue to achieve that.

Dantis

Except the fact that technology has advanced, is advancing, and it's not "these have been hacked, so this can too". It's obviously any hardware developers goal to stop piracy, and they're exploring and using any avenue to achieve that.

I don't understand your point.

Platy

The PSP is a great example of this. It was region free, but it had so many functionality issues that homebrew actually made the system MUCH more useful for many people. Faster load times, video output, no need to swap UMDs and carry them around, controller support before the PSP Go, etc.

Exactly !

For the 3ds would be awesome to be able to install the games directly to the SD so you don't have to carry 300 games with you... but then again it would be the very base for piracy =/

Berg

I don't understand your point.

His whole argument is that it's going to be hacked anyway so why argue against it....
technology is evolving and who's to say that nintendo can't release a patch negating all the work we've seen with the 3DS.

Dantis

His whole argument is that it's going to be hacked anyway so why argue against it....
technology is evolving and who's to say that nintendo can't release a patch negating all the work we've seen with the 3DS.

The point is that we're taking it as read that every system will eventually have widespread piracy, but that may not be true. Just look at the DSi.

That's not what he's saying at all...

Exactly !

For the 3ds would be awesome to be able to install the games directly to the SD so you don't have to carry 300 games with you... but then again it would be the very base for piracy =/

uhm, i don't think you could install so many games onto a single SD card, the only good thing should be to have a region free console

PSP was different, with CFW i could copy my games on the memory card and loading times are faster, consequently increased battery life was another good point. Last, but not least, UMD were optical support, more delicate than a card, keeping safe inside the case is the best solution for keeping them away from scratches

duckroll

Erm. You do realize that technology advances aren't one sided right? :p

Isn't there an EU law or some such that products have to be in the 5 major languages (English, German, French, Spanish, Italian)?
Theres an NOE "law" to translate into FIGS*. I think for third parties it is just the manuals for eShop games. But games sales are affected somewhat by lack of translated text. Not sure if that is down to some retailers not stocking it etc...

*-In N64 it was just English, French and German. They officially passed up on Conker's Bad Fur Day for this reason (they were not translating it due to the humor being difficult to translate, others think it it was Nintenod teh kiddie) leaving THQ to publish it.

The main issue with localisation for Europe is that you have around 10 different languages in the continent.

It's about 18 for most games. Still, it should be part of standard game development. I've worked on enough games over the last twelve years where localisation is done throughout development to ensure the finished game has all major languages. We've even done specific Russian and Polish skus that ship on the same day.

uhm, i don't think you could install so many games onto a single SD card, the only good thing should be to have a region free console

PSP was different, with CFW i could copy my games on the memory card and loading times are faster, consequently increased battery life was another good point. Last, but not least, UMD were optical support, more delicate than a card, keeping safe inside the case is the best solution for keeping them away from scratches

If you look at the size of 3DS games so far...

Ten 3DS games are about 6 GB in size.

8 GB SDHC - $10 - Holds ~13 3DS games

16 GB SDHC - $20 - Holds ~26 3DS games

32 GB SDHC - $35 - Holds ~53 3DS games

And since the 3DS doesn't support any cards larger than 32 GB, you'll only be able to get about 53 games on a single card. That's still a lot.

Omikaru

No.

The only EU law is that there can be no technical barriers implemented to prevent consumers from buying products in different parts of the EU than their own country. So you can't region lock Poland from France or UK, just because the games are cheaper, and you can't do anything that hampers retailers from selling the products to other EU regions either.

Nintendo were nailed by the EU for price fixing about 10-12 years ago, since they used tactics to block EU sellers from shipping around the continent.

Speaking of which, this would also open the door for fan-translations.

Tmdean

Banned
Erm. You do realize that technology advances aren't one sided right? :p

Actually in my opinion the reverse is true. The demographic that is responsible for most of these hacks (bored teenage hackers) is actually shrinking. In general kids aren't programming anymore, at least not as much as they were in the 80s and 90s. Look at the history of the Raspberry Pi.

The idea behind a tiny and cheap computer for kids came in 2006, when Eben Upton and his colleagues at the University of Cambridge’s Computer Laboratory, including Rob Mullins, Jack Lang and Alan Mycroft, became concerned about the year-on-year decline in the numbers and skills levels of the A Level students applying to read Computer Science in each academic year. From a situation in the 1990s where most of the kids applying were coming to interview as experienced hobbyist programmers, the landscape in the 2000s was very different; a typical applicant might only have done a little web design.

Something had changed the way kids were interacting with computers. A number of problems were identified: the colonisation of the ICT curriculum with lessons on using Word and Excel, or writing webpages; the end of the dot-com boom; and the rise of the home PC and games console to replace the Amigas, BBC Micros, Spectrum ZX and Commodore 64 machines that people of an earlier generation learned to program on.

If these two trends continue - that DRM is improving and the population of people with the skills and motivation to break DRM is decreasing, I think it won't be long before the conventional wisdom that every DRM system will eventually be broken will no longer hold true.

donny2112

Why would you care if moms could buy 100 games in a card? How does that affect you? It certainly doesn't affect me.

As long as you recognize that this is a very self-centered view and not particularly concerned with the larger world of health of support on the system, that's fine. As said before, if it takes some technical know-how to allow those dedicated to get region-free gaming through, it's not a big deal. If it gets on the level of DS piracy where "moms could buy 100 games in a card," yes, it has an impact. If you're mainly concerned for your own personal enjoyment with little care for any larger picture of support, then your position is perfectly reasonable, though.

jonno394

Always online DRM and authentication will sort out piracy next gen......then we can thank pirates for pushing devs and manufacturers to it.

Or mandatory unlock key purchases.....

duckroll

As long as you recognize that this is a very self-centered view and not particularly concerned with the larger world of health of support on the system, that's fine. As said before, if it takes some technical know-how to allow those dedicated to get region-free gaming through, it's not a big deal. If it gets on the level of DS piracy where "moms could buy 100 games in a card," yes, it has an impact. If you're mainly concerned for your own personal enjoyment with little care for any larger picture of support, then you're position is perfectly reasonable, though.

And as long as you recognize that your view sounds like that of a corporate shill more concerned about the health of a company you have no investment in than your own personal use of a product you paid for, that's fine too! :D

Foffy

Banned

Technology advances, sure. But you must remember that such technology is man made. If it is built my man, it can be taken down by man.

Always online DRM and authentication will sort out piracy next gen......then we can thank pirates for pushing devs and manufacturers to it.

Or mandatory unlock key purchases.....

These have been circumvented for offline users for many, many years now. Even Capcom's always online DRM for PSN/XBLA have been circumvented. These methods don't deal with the problem, and they never will. People who want stuff for free will always, always find a way of getting it for free. What companies should be doing is creating less of a pool for a consumer to want to hack their device, let alone pirate. This is something I think only Valve has been absolutely honest about in regards to major companies and piracy. The rest fall under blanket legal PR statements that don't dare address the issue beyond its legality, which doesn't fix shit.

Nintendo made a larger pool than one would desire on 3DS and Wii U by region-locking the platforms, so they now have an audience that simply wants to break into a device and an audience that wants to be able to import products. I think nearly everyone in favor of such hackings on GAF are primarily the latter, and that's awfully telling.

verbatimo

You can already bet on a lot of european gaffers getting ready to import US Atlus games.

O/

Etrian Odyssey IV for starters.

Region locking sucks for 3DS. I had to order EO2 & EO3 for DS from US because, those games didn't got released in Europe. I bet EO4 sure won't get released here, so I have to order it from US store.

Fortunately DS was region free.

Dascu

And as long as you recognize that your view sounds like that of a corporate shill more concerned about the health of a company you have no investment in than your own personal use of a product you paid for, that's fine too! :D

Doesn't sound like a corporate shill to me. Being worried about software sales on a platform and how they may be negatively impacted by large-scale piracy is something that ultimately hurts the consumer. No? Not sure how you read what you said into donny's comment.

brumx

Piracy did not hurt PSP at all PSP did just not have very many games. problem with 3DS is there over priced out of most people.

test_account

XP-39C²
Piracy did not hurt PSP at all PSP did just not have very many games. problem with 3DS is there over priced out of most people.
Hard to say exactly about the sales of the games that excited and came out, but some developers used the piracy reason for not developing PSP games, so in that way piracy affected the PSP.

duckroll

Doesn't sound like a corporate shill to me. Being worried about software sales on a platform and how they may be negatively impacted by large-scale piracy is something that ultimately hurts the consumer. No? Not sure how you read what you said into donny's comment.

I don't think I sound self-centered either. Other people pirating a game has no impact on me, and there is nothing I can do about it, being worried about it or acting like I'm concerned is just a fool's errand. There are tons of things happening in the world that I have no control over, it's not remotely "selfish" to feel that there are better and more productive things to do than to pretend that my concern would have any impact at all. :p

People who want to pretend that by acting concerned about something they cannot do anything about is being a "responsible" person can do as they please. But they just mostly come off as white knights to everyone else I think. Especially when other people are discussing an actual functional benefit for themselves.

Top Bottom