• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: 3DS finally hacked?

Danj

You have a choice. You can always import hardware from the region you want to play games from.

I think the issue here is that the actual hardware is no different between the US, Europe and Japan. The consoles are the same, they just have different firmware or whatever. So there's no reason that it should be necessary to purchase extra hardware to play import games.

liger05

This is madness. Short of something like Persona 5, I wouldn't be able to justify this.

Not for me. If the import scene was still healthy and there were shops in the UK like there used to be where you could buy software I would no doubt still be purchasing Japanese Hardware.

The days where there was plenty of independent stores selling imports were great.

Sophia

This is madness. Short of something like Persona 5, I wouldn't be able to justify this.

I feel sorry for you people in Europe and in the UK. You guys seem to have to deal with this region locking bullcrap almost on a regular basis, particularly when it comes to Nintendo.

Dantis

Not for me. If the import scene was still healthy and there were shops in the UK like there used to be where you could buy software I would no doubt still be purchasing Japanese Hardware.

The days where there was plenty of independent stores selling imports were great.

Blame the dread-beast that is (Was?) GAME.

I feel sorry for you people in Europe and in the UK. You guys seem to have to deal with this region locking bullcrap almost on a regular basis, particularly when it comes to Nintendo.

Seriously.

Outside of MegaTen, I've only started playing Japanese games again recently. As soon as I did, and starting getting frustrated at games we never got, or games we have to wait so long for, I thought "Oh yeah. This is why I stick to Western games.".

Mitama

I've been following this for a while and I'm not sure what to expect out of it. They are quite busy mapping out everything, presumably to make way for an SDK? As much as I love flashcarts, I'd also rather have them wait for at least 1-2 years before they start releasing stuff like that. It didn't really have an impact on the Nintendo DS, but 3DS has a pretty small library as is and piracy would definitely not help that. Adding a small hack that makes the 3DS region-free would kick ass though!

I think it would be totally reasonable to purchase a foreign console if yu are heavy into importing games
It's also just as reasonable to wait for and use a region free hack.

Dantis

I think it would be totally reasonable to purchase a foreign console if yu are heavy into importing games
It's also just as reasonable to wait for and use a region free hack.

It's reasonable to do that if you want to.

It's unreasonable to expect other people to. :p

Sorry! I know this thread bump is going to make people think there is new news, but I didn't want to create a new thread.... SO

Kill the region lock and you've sold me on a 3DS XL. I'll just import a black one.

Has there been any movement on this? I want to buy and play Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem but I travel so often between different regions that region lock is a necessary consideration when buying games.

Sorry! I know this thread bump is going to make people think there is new news, but I didn't want to create a new thread.... SO

Has there been any movement on this? I want to buy and play Luigi's Mansion and Fire Emblem but I travel so often between different regions that region lock is a necessary consideration when buying games.
My heart STOPPED for a second there. Shame on you for this bump. :(

Kenka

No excuses accepted from a Juventino.
But if you supported PSG maybe...

on-topic: I didn't even know people even made it possible to run their own code on the 3DS.

zroid

Banned
Shitty bump bro, but just a suggestion: if you travel a lot, then chances are the eShop would be your friend, as you won't have to carry tons of games, and would also subvert the difficulties of having to import games (buy them instantly from anywhere).

Javier

opkVS9O.png

Yeah, worst bump ever.

Just buy from the eShop then.

Erethian

Wasn't there just a security related update to 3DS released? Was there something developing?

Yeah, the recent firmware update closed the loophole that was probably used to do this hack. So the system is locked down tight for the immediate future.

big_z

Wasn't there just a security related update to 3DS released? Was there something developing?

Yeah to block old DS flash carts I think. Hacking 3DS itself is at a standstill. In fact there's even a kickstarter to decap the 3ds for an attempt to reverse engineer it. Seems like whatever Nintendo did to stop piracy they did it well this time around.

IrishNinja

bumping this was really dumb - do you honestly think if the region lock wasn't bypassed, there woudln't be a 10 page thread about it on page 1?

Clevinger

Yeah to block old DS flash carts I think. Hacking 3DS itself is at a standstill. In fact there's even a kickstarter to decap the 3ds for an attempt to reverse engineer it. Seems like whatever Nintendo did to stop piracy they did it well this time around.

I don't think it's at a standstill. They found an exploit, and since then they've been building a wiki that's mapping out all the inside workings of the 3DS that will help homebrew people when they release the exploit.

I think the kickstarter thing to decap it is by other people, but I'm not sure.

That's pretty cool if it's real, but since I'd have to keep my 3ds disconnected from the internet to prevent updates, and since it doesn't look like it would play imports, I'd still rather just get a japanese system. Completely useless to me.

I hate region locking.

73V3N

Banned
From gbatemp:

it is indeed not a fake but all the hardware you want for this has yet to be shown

ideally what this card does is make the Game Chip a Micro SD card
the card will have to be formatted correctly and the right size (eg. you will need, 512mb,1GB,2GB,4GB cards)
each card can only hold 1 rom at a time, as it takes up the whole space of the card
surely you get the point here of whats its doing

the next thing is Save Data
as you can see in the video there is only 1 save chip and thats built in, so if you change the game MicroSD without backing up and Dumping the Save data with a Save tool BYE BYE save
as it is wiped as the game recognizes it as corrupt so deletes it
so they will either have to provide a method of extracting/dumping the save or you get a R4i Save Dongle or something that does the job

basically this is a 1:1 clone sort of deal so only 1 at a time, no homebrew, no mods, no save tweaks

Nintendo will most likely just block this with an update to check the game Chip ID and then fail to boot it

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
All I want is a good GBA emulator gosh darngits.

Top Bottom