• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: 3DS finally hacked?

baphomet

Something that actually Nintendo lets you doing, by buying from the eShop, you know...

Yea, because I can just download the 30 some games I own for 3DS onto my sd card. I hope this is easy enough for any 10 year old with an sd card and basic reading ability. I can also get the $150 worth of downloadable games back when my first 3DS was stolen and Nintendo refused to help.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
theoretically:

- having your retail games on a single cart
- circumventing region lock
Also possibly in the future being able to back up your saves/games for games that you buy via eShop if your 3DS dies so you don't have to rebuy your game from the eShop.

Fucking Nintendo and not having a proper account system.

GulAtiCa

To play devils advocate, what about the retail games I bought before the introduction of DL retail games, or games not available for download? It still has some use.

Problem is, it's still piracy. What's to prevent some from just selling their game off after they make a back up and use the backup instead? Or better yet, rent the games, dump them, and return them without paying. :/

Effect

Looking forward to the coming updates that will kill this. There is only one purpose for this especially since you can buy the games digitally (outside of a handful of games for specific reasons) already.

gngf123

Problem is, it's still piracy. What's to prevent you from just selling your game off after you make a back up and use the backup instead? Or better yet, rent the games, dump them, and return them without paying. :/

If you do that, then that is piracy. Merely taking a backup and using it is not piracy, and is actually GAF approved (see: emulation threads).

upandaway

Problem is, it's still piracy. What's to prevent some from just selling their game off after they make a back up and use the backup instead? Or better yet, rent the games, dump them, and return them without paying. :/
I really don't wanna be the rude guy who says this, but at this point you guys are being a bit silly.

baphomet

Yea, that's not piracy.

If you do that, then that is piracy. Merely taking a backup and using it is not piracy, and is actually GAF approved (see: emulation threads).

Where would the backup come from? I haven't heard about any functional methods of dumping your own 3DS games, so they would be downloaded, right?

Edit: Unless it's the copy from the SD card? How the heck does this work?

Heck yes!
This would help me out like, crazy.
Makes it easier on my work, my commune, and my game collection.
Picking one up the moment it becomes available.

Eusis

I don't know why everyone here on GAF is making such a big deal about this. According to the DRM thread, anyone who would pirate a game wouldn't buy it anyway - no lost sale. So why the hate, GAF?
I do feel these cases can be somewhat granular, personally I feel that making it not immediately easy or close enough will have to do, you make it TOO draconian and you'll piss everyone off (see the X1), but at the same time if it's absurdly easy software sales tank and it's hard to get anything sold (the later DS and PSP sales seem to be proof of this.) If Nintendo can at least annoy them with firmware updates or even fully relock it then that will hopefully relegate it to a small niche.
By the way does the 3DS have mandatory updates?

isn't canada in france or something
If I keep mine online I think it usually downloads the update then tells me to apply it.

n00bsauce

Banned
No I watched the video, I see they've got it working one game per card. Thus, the argument of "I don't want to carry loads of game cards around with me" is moot so far.

I would assume that the person would pirate his/her games at this time. If they are complaining on how inconvenient this is, they should be punched in the stomach. No right to complain. We should be so lucky. I have to commend Nintendo for having this device cracked free for so long.

hats-off.jpg

Timeless

Encryption and security on modern consoles / handhelds is such that it is always easier to run pirated games than it will be to run homebrew. Steps to run pirated games:

* Get a copy of a game
* Put it on some kind of storage medium
* Convince the console that the game should be loaded from the storage medium

With homebrew, you have to do all that, then also convince the console that the game / application has been approved by the manufacturer. It's a shame, as homebrew is more interesting than piracy.

geebee

Banned
I can imply they are liars though.
Cut the bullshit. You're taking this a bit personally for some reason. I have known people to backup their games on their handhelds and I did it myself, actually. It's great being able to store away your physical copies of games and just run them from one card.

Spierek

By the way does the 3DS have mandatory updates?
They're not mandatory, but if you do not initiate the upgrade process after the system has downloaded new FW files (and it does it whenever you connect to the Internet through that ridiculously dumb Wi-Fi option that allows you to have only 3 access points memorized), your 3DS is bugging you about it every time you open it up.

I'd buy it if it flawlessly bypassed the region lock; other than that I'm not interested.

spons

Gold Member
The exploit here is what matters. It seems these people have found a way but are too incompetent to make a good product. Clones will appear and it will all be good, soon. Remember the PS3 scene? What a foolish mess of terrible proportions, but out of the exploit, good things came.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The exploit here is what matters. It seems these people have found a way but are too incompetent to make a good product. Clones will appear and it will all be good, soon. Remember the PS3 scene? What a foolish mess of terrible proportions, but out of the exploit, good things came.

Good game out of that? I don't remember anything coming out of that haha.

Eusis

why is it taking so long to get region free working

bah
It would figure if they secured that better than piracy. Should be the other way around, so that when they crack region free people settle for that and don't bother with straight up piracy, but it's rare they're not intertwined at best anyway.

cafemomo

I don't give two shits about some stupid flash card, I just want the region lock gone.

Especially now BD comming stateside 2014 while Europe is getting it this year.

niunhuiio

Disgusting. Bricked 3DS's in 3...2...1...
Some games have updates in them and require you to update your 3DS before you play them whether you're connected online or not so I don't see this thing having a long lifespan.

Artemisia

Banned
I don't give two shits about some stupid flash card, I just want the region lock gone.

Especially now BD comming stateside 2014 while Europe is getting it this year.

Doesn't this sort of count as a region lock bypass? Couldn't you buy the foreign game, dump it, and play it on the flashcard?

I've enjoyed the platform's piracy free days. I still remember being mocked at the store for buying ds games during the R4 surge: "Are you seriously buying those? Just download them!" a guy said to me at a store as I was picking up a game to purchase.

Oh yeah, its so cool to steal!

vulva

Disgusting. Bricked 3DS's in 3...2...1...
Some games have updates in them and require you to update your 3DS before you play them whether you're connected online or not so I don't see this thing having a long lifespan.
Depends how smart the cart makers are. They could allow for custom hacks of updates to circumvent this issue

Just to play devil's advocate:

Yes, you can buy most of the games on the eShop but:

- I already own 15+ games on cart and I hate carrying them around with me due to the risk

- The games on eShop are always more expensive than retail if you know how to shop

- When I am done with the games, I cannot sell my eShop purchased retail games.

- If my 3DS is stolen, I have to go through a hassle with Nintendo to get them back

So there are plenty of reasons to want this, IMO. Definitely not legal but perhaps morally acceptable, as long as you are honest about deleting your backups when you sell your games. But I'm sure Nintendo will make it a living hell through updates so I'm not interested in the least.

omg... people want to pirate 3DS games now???? nope. i buy all my 3DS games and now i will put them on this flashcart and sell back the 3DS carts and still have all my games on a single SD card! i did buy those games after all. hah! amidoingitrite?

Top Bottom