• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: ACIV: Black Flag is sub-1080p on Xbox One

NIGHT-

Well, folks can downplay it if they want, but this stuff continues to affirm why it's a good idea to start with a PS4 as an all around console and get an Xbox for exclusives down the road.

Or get a PC for multi platform games and a x1 and ps4 for exclusives :)

pants

I think the Sony Fanboys are polarized by the X1 because they have no real AAA exclusive beside KZ coming to their platform at launch. They literally have no games to talk about

GCd9wtH.jpg

Rey

It's hilarious how a lot of guys are pounding on their chest for getting a PS4. So proud of their console of choice... lol

Think a lot of people will be disappointed this Friday with the graphics. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting a PS4, but I'm not expecting miracles like some of u do.

Dragon

Banned
It's hilarious how a lot of guys are pounding on their chest for getting a PS4. So proud of their console of choice... lol

Think a lot of people will be disappointed this Friday with the graphics. Don't get me wrong, I'm getting a PS4, but I'm not expecting miracles like some of u do.

This is a rumor man, no need for damage controlling until it's confirmed to be the case.

Yoday

I think the Sony Fanboys are polarized by the X1 because they have no real AAA exclusive beside KZ coming to their platform at launch. They literally have no games to talk about
Well crap, I guess I can't talk about ACIV, BF4, or NFS since they aren't exclusives. To think, I have been doing it wrong all these years by being excited about exclusives and non-exclusives alike. I guess I should stop being excited for inFamous as well. While it may be exclusive, it isn't a launch game, so it doesn't matter.

I guess I'll just play Battlefield 4 on Friday and wish it was coming out a week later at 720p so that I could also have Ryse to play. I'm just...polarized.

Man. If people are going to be disappointed with PS4 graphics, just imagine the decimation some of the xone fans are going to face!

Also, where exactly does the notion come from that the Xbox one has tons of "AAA exclusives"?

In the entire lineup I can only give Forza 5 that title, really. Dead Rising looks kind of promising too, I guess?
Don't know about the budgets, nor do I care, but D4, Quantum Break is why I'm probably getting an XO at some point, despite everything. Maybe Sunset Overdrive.
Or get a PC for multi platform games and a x1 and ps4 for exclusives :)
This is my plan.

When that Reddit AmA happened when ACIV's team was there to answer the questions, Director Ashraf Ismail replied to all of my questions except for the native resolution one...

Fishy.
More like silly. It's so very silly that they're not allowed to even imply the slightest suggestion, despite it being incredibly obvious to everyone involved that there is a significant performance gap between the PS4 and XB1. No, Microsoft says they have to cover their ears and go LALALALA to deflect such inquiries. It's just really sad/funny at this point.

I'm hoping there's some person out there collecting anonymous developer quotes about this stuff.

KevKevinator

Neo Member
Well.. India is pretty shitty
:lol

But seriously. That hundred dollars is obviously going towards the Kinext. It's quite obvious to everyone that if you're apparently worried about performance, you'll buy a PC PS4. If you're interested in the feature set of the X1 (including Kinext), you'll buy that instead.

Really don't know why people are acting like Microsoft murdered their children. No one is forcing you to buy anything, so if you don't like what the X1 is offering, don't buy it. It couldn't be more simple.
Well as a former Xbox fan, I'm pretty disappointed with the xbone, I wanted a superior console with that premium price. I didn't want to pay an extra hundred bucks to shout at my TV. In that sense, Xbox did kinda murder their children.

Special C

Ok, Xbox One has inferior graphics. Fact. As an Xbox One buyer, this kinda sucks but I still think it's the better console overall for my tastes, and that's ok. The hysteria is getting ridiculous. Just accept the fact that it's the inferior console graphically and enjoy your purchase. Don't let all the quips get you bothered, let other people enjoy their PS4.

Seriously, it's OK to still like the X1 and admit that it is inferior graphically. I promise.

GlassCity

Banned
I'm interested to see the comparison between the two platforms on this game.

Shouldn't we be seeing X1 videos tonight since the embargo lifts at 12 ?

Ok, Xbox One has inferior graphics. Fact. As an Xbox One buyer, this kinda sucks but I still think it's the better console overall for my tastes, and that's ok. The hysteria is getting ridiculous. Just accept the fact that it's the inferior console graphically and enjoy your purchase. Don't let all the quips get you bothered, let other people enjoy their PS4.

Seriously, it's OK to still like the X1 and admit that it is inferior graphically. I promise.

antonio-banderas-gif-52bbd904-original.gif

oVerde

Banned
Shocking news! Glad I still have couples of X1 to cancel the preorder while there are more game to know their resolutions.

Acceptance is no fun! The console warz will not exist if people latch on to this line of thinking. There is no room for rational thought here.

Do you really want to be responsible for the dissolution of countless hours of entertainment?! A heavy burden to bear, to be sure.

frizby

Quality post.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

you are 100% right. kudos.

and in a fucked up way I "think" that is the same message the press is trying to put out there. only instead of showing the humility you've shown, they are instead down playing any/all advantages of the PS4 and saying "well if you take all of that stuff out, it's too close to call"

Bravo man and enjoy. :) I only wish the Doritocracy could have the same attitude about it as you. It's the same shit I told myself plenty of times from 2007-2009 or so when I would pickup a PS3 port instead of a 360 one. I was fine with it (Bayonetta being the best example)

I'm getting a PS4 and Xbox One but so far I've opted to buy the multiplatform games such as Assassin's Creed IV and so on for my PS4 because I had a feeling even before it was confirmed that its games would look or run better than on the Xbox One. Of course, Assassin's Creed IV also has exclusive content on the PS4 so that swung it in its favour too plus all the next-gen footage shown of the game so far has been on Sony's new console. Obviously, Ubisoft would want to show off the most complete and/or best console version of the game and that was the PS4 version. It has even been reviewed on that format by numerous sites because, unlike Microsoft, Sony haven't embargoed all the PS4's game. If the Xbox One version was exactly the same then we'd have seen footage from it by now.

Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the Xbox One version of Assassin's Creed IV was 900p or even 720p but at this point I don't really care as I have a choice of which console to buy the non-exclusives for. I will say that I've seen 30 minutes of 1080p footage of Ryse: Son of Rome, which runs natively at 900p, and that game looks absolutely stunning IMO, more so than any other next-gen game I've seen so far. Could I tell it wasn't 1080p? I'll be honest, no. I can tell when a game is upscaled from 720p - Dead Rising 3 looks fine but there's telltale aliasing from the upscaling on background scenery - but at 900p it becomes more difficult to spot because, well, it is closer to 1080p. That's watching footage from 12" away from a 24" 1920x1200 monitor as well so I've no doubt the difference would be less obvious on a larger screen HDTV from further away.

I think 900p is acceptable for next-gen games but really we shouldn't be seeing any of them running at 720p on hardware designed to last the next 6-8 years in my view. While it is the gameplay that is most important, hence why I'm willing to overlook 720p at launch on the Xbox One, I really hope that 900p and 1080p become more commonplace over the next few years though because I've a feeling that 1080p certainly will be on the PS4 (as far as I'm aware only Battlefield 4 is confirmed as sub-1080p on that platform; all the other games are 1080p as far as I know).

ironcreed

Banned
The tools will absolutely get better, and it will help to a degree, but better tools can't magically make the GPU better. The Xbox One will likely never see 1080p as a standard, not when developers are going to want to keep parity with the PS4 as much as they can.

The games over resolution argument doesn't work when you are comparing the same games. Also, you can be excited for MS's exclusives and also be pissed that they developed a horribly under powered system that can't handle rendering in 1080p with competitive visuals. You don't have to give MS a pass by dismissing resolution just because you like Halo or whatever. They fucked up and created a weak system, and they should hear about it, especially from their biggest fans. If they just get a pass on it with people defending 720p out of necessity, then they will just continue to build weak hardware in the future. There is a reason people are pissed that the games press are trying to push this "games over resolution" bullshit on gamers.

Sorry, but the games over resolution argument does work for me because I don't see the difference as being big enough to raise hell itself over. Sure, multiplats may be sharper on the PS4, but the system itself is still quite an upgrade over the 360 and it has exclusives I want to play that are already looking more than enough next gen. Speaking of Ryse, obviously.

As far as the pricing goes, that has been something that soured me from the beginning. But the slick OS and all of the unique bells and whistles the system has kind of balances everything out for me and that is clearly the reason it costs more. It has other features integrated right in with my gaming that I have come to realize I would definitely use and that is why I want one.

At any rate, I am not giving MS 'a free pass' because it has games I want to play on a weaker and more expensive system. It simply has games and features that appeal to me, just as the PS4 does and I want them both for what each brings to the table. Beyond that, it's not 1080p or bust for me. I just don't give a shit. Both systems are still a hell of an upgrade from the 360 and PS3 and I'm more than happy with that. Bring on the games.

Yep

yep. you know, I even have a friend that's buying the Xbox One, and I don't try and convince him otherwise, because he's a huge Dead Rising fan and is really excited about the TV functionality.

there are still totally legitimate reasons to buy the Xbox One, just as there are to buy the Wii U. Just as there were to buy a Wii last gen, or a PS3 or 360.

MS really dropped the ball this new gen, wonder who's idea it was to saddle the xbox brand with vastly inferior and underpowered hardware coupled with unproven Kinect tech raising the price. So not only are ppl paying more for the console they're paying the same price in games for inferior performance.

Aswell as inferior resolution I expect some of the following to be inferior too:

Lighting, Textures, Particle Effects, Physics, DoF, Motion Blur, AA, AF, HBAO, Reflections, Animations, Shadows, Scale, Draw Distance, Loading Times, Uber-sampling, 3D, VR, Polygons, decals, hair rendering, subsurface scattering, etc.

It will be a miracle if bone will achieve half the sales of PS4.

It's hilarious how a lot of guys are pounding on their chest for getting a PS4. So proud of their console of choice.

heh

Sorry, but the games over resolution argument does work for me because I don't see the difference as being big enough to raise hell itself over. Sure, multiplats may be sharper on the PS4, but the system itself is still quite an upgrade over the 360 and it has exclusives I want to play that are already looking more than enough next gen. Speaking of Ryse, obviously.

As far as the pricing goes, that has been something that soured me from the beginning. But the slick OS and all of the unique bells and whistles the system has kind of balances everything out for me and that is clearly the reason it costs more. It has other features integrated right in with my gaming that I have come to realize I would definitely use and that is why I want one.

At any rate, I am not giving MS 'a free pass' because it has games I want to play on a weaker and more expensive system. It simply has games and features that appeal to me, just as the PS4 does and I want them both for what each brings to the table. Beyond that, it's not 1080p or bust for me. I just don't give a shit. Both systems are still a hell of an upgrade from the 360 and PS3 and I'm more than happy with that. Bring on the games.
If you're buying an Xbox One for the various reasons one might choose to buy an Xbox One, I do think you will be content with the upgrade over last gen games offered by it. Most games are getting a resolution bump (BF4 and COD included) even when they're lower res than the PS4.

From that perspective, I totally get where you are coming from.

Where I get a bit annoyed is when people try to make out that the difference doesn't matter *to gameplay*. The PS4 plays Black Flag better than the Xbox One does if this is true. I hate when people try to make out that gameplay isn't effected by graphics. Ships off in the distance will be easier to identify on the PS4 version, for example...

but they'll still be easier to identify on Xbox One than they are on Xbox 360.

MS really dropped the ball this new gen, wonder who's idea it was to saddle the xbox brand with vastly inferior and underpowered hardware coupled with unproven Kinect tech raising the price. So not only are ppl paying more for the console they're paying the same price in games for inferior performance.

Aswell as inferior resolution I expect some of the following to be inferior too:

Lighting, Textures, Particle Effects, Physics, DoF, Motion Blur, AA, AF, HBAO, Reflections, Animations, Shadows, Scale, Draw Distance, Loading Times, Uber-sampling, 3D, VR, Polygons, decals, hair rendering, subsurface scattering, etc.

It will be a miracle if bone will achieve half the sales of PS4.
It's going to be okay man, just let it all out.

So is this rumour confirmed yet?
I'd be surprised if it wasn't true.
So far almost all third party titles are lower res on Xbone than PS4

So is this rumour confirmed yet?

No, but there's enough noise that I'm willing to apply a high degree of certainty to the rumour. When Dark10x makes a call on something like this, well, there may be a time he was wrong about it, but I can't recall one off the top of my head.

People can't tell the difference anyway

Sit further away from your TV

720p was intentional for balance

Some people say 720p looks better than 1080p

It about the gameplay not graphics anyway

Have you seen Titanfall?

Am I doing it right???
Someone should make a "Excuses for Lack of Xbox One Power" checklist:
nEz3xim.png

It does feel good buying the more powerful console while saving $100 at the same time. I don't think anyone is expecting miracles. It's not like we haven't seen footage of the games...

Top Bottom