• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Arkane Austin's Prey reboot to be announced on June 12th

Phyla

Oh man. If only it'll remotely look like the Prey 2 demo, I'm in. The first game was a fun corridor shooter with pretty interesting mechanics, but the sequel promised some fantastic stuff.

prudislav

Man i would kill for openworld scifi bounty hunting game like the original prey 2 was :-(
But i guess system shock-ey rebeoot can be cool

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
blrjdLT.png

giphy.gif
Let's see how deep this can go

It is, although it's pretty old. Dunno how much of that we'll see in the final game.

Also, Bethesda's E3 conference is June 12, not June 14.

Any idea if the game will still have the "Prey" branding? If Arkane was trying to get the System Shock IP, I guess still going with the System Shock 1 prequel set-up mentioned in that leaked doc going off the Danielle name, and couldn't get it I wonder if they'll even bother going with the Prey name instead of something else.

Whoops, looks like I misremembered; the leaked doc had the Danielle name in more than just the potential SS1 prequel scenario.

I love the first prey. One of my early 360 memories. i was ver excited for that sequel, I hope this retains the same premise and gameplay ideas that prey 2 was going with. The concept of intergalactic bounty hunter was really cool.

Mr. Tibbs

It is, although it's pretty old. Dunno how much of that we'll see in the final game.

Also, Bethesda's E3 conference is June 12, not June 14.

Whoops! The professional sites are probably trawling through your previous Kotaku posts for more juicy insider scoops!

I wonder if Arkane are still using Crytek? I know a number of Battlecry Studios employees joined the Austin branch after their F2P game was canned, and that ran on the Cry Engine.

jschreier

Whoops! The professional sites are probably trawling through your previous Kotaku posts for more juicy insider scoops!

I wonder if Arkane are still using Crytek? I know a number of Battlecry Studios employees joined the Austin branch after their F2P game was canned, and that ran on the Cry Engine.
They are indeed! Also, nothing against Alien Noire, but their original "scoop" was... dubious. I found out after my original article ran (in May of 2013) that their information about Arkane developing Prey 2 had come from ME in the first place.

Inside baseball time! In short, I'd asked someone to help me corroborate the news (as I often do when I hear something from a single source), and that person actually told the people at Alien Noire. They didn't care about corroboration or accuracy, so they just ran it. I didn't find any of this out until a while after I'd published the article.

In other words, Alien Noire's tweet is likely just based either on my Kotaku comment or on nothing whatsoever.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I don't understand. There are better games to try a reboot on... Prey? really?

pa22word

Bethesda is probably keeping the name because they shelled out the money to buy the IP. If you buy something, might as well use it.

Wait, so will it be a different Prey 2 or will it just be Prey? Did the original Prey 2 even have anything to do with the first? Such a weird path for this "series".

Did the original Prey 2 even have anything to do with the first? Such a weird path for this "series".

I don't know how much of spoiler this is, since the game never came out, and the new version might not retain anything at all from the original, but...

A developer from Human Head said that the new player character in Prey 2 would have eventually encountered Tommy (the protagonist from the first game), and that you'd actually get to play as him in the later stages of the game.

So yes, the stories of the two games would have eventually tied together. Although in what way, we obviously don't know.

Mr. Tibbs

Right, because it couldn't possibly be for any other reasons.

Bethesda have never once disputed claims that they tried to buy the studio. When other games in Zenimax's portfolio encounter "quality concerns," they either put the team on other projects like Battlecry, or give them extra time to polish the experience like Dishonored, Evil Within, and especially Doom. It was nearly at alpha, and Bethesda tried to move forward with the game, first with Human Head (on the condition they sold their independence) and later with Obsidian.

Some info from former Prey 2 developers:
https://twitter.com/NathanCheever/status/528424067771011073
www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/what-went-wrong-with-human-heads-prey-2
http://www.develop-online.net/inter...uman-head-recovered-from-cancellation/0205225
http://noobist.com/gaming/interview-gameplay-designer-jason-richardson-bioware/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...cks-lie-that-prey-2-was-only-ever-just-a-demo

I am playing through Prey on 360 for the first time just by chance, and I am blown away by it. Continues to surprise. And the vilence is twisted and graphic; nice.

Bethesda have never once disputed claims that they tried to buy the studio. When other games in Zenimax's portfolio encounter "quality concerns," they either put the team on other projects like Battlecry, or give them extra time to polish the experience like Dishonored, Evil Within, and especially Doom. It was nearly at alpha, and Bethesda tried to move forward with the game, first with Human Head (on the condition they sold their independence) and later with Obsidian.

Some info from former Prey 2 developers:
https://twitter.com/NathanCheever/status/528424067771011073
www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/what-went-wrong-with-human-heads-prey-2
http://www.develop-online.net/inter...uman-head-recovered-from-cancellation/0205225
http://noobist.com/gaming/interview-gameplay-designer-jason-richardson-bioware/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...cks-lie-that-prey-2-was-only-ever-just-a-demo

Man, everyone gives Bethesda shit for this, but the harsh reality of the industry is that up until a few years ago, EVERY publisher was trying to do to 3rd party developers partnering with them what Bethesda tried to do to Human Head (And did to Arkane). Bethesda is just the one that's the most documented over the Prey 2 drama.

It's how DICE, Pandemic, and others ended up owned by EA - The same kind of milestone-abuse that Prey 2 suffered. It's also what killed GRIN when Square Enix attempted to do it to them three years before the Prey 2 drama. Quite a few closures of independent studios last gen involved situations similar to Prey 2's.

Thankfully the Kickstarter revolution has proven a nice kick in the nads for executives trying to pull this bullshit. Can't really extort your development partners into giving full ownership of their to you when they have a Plan B for when you pull their funds, can you boyo?

These are the guys who specifically said "avoid Blade Runner neon tropes" for the reboot right?

I don't know that I can support such a team, but I'm willing to hear them out

K.N.W.

Yeah that Prey 2 demo looked good , if it was another game. Where are my absurd Alien guns, teleporters and fuck-gravity-floors ??? Hope they reveal something between the original game and that demo :)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Big fan of Arkane so can't wait to see what they do with it, although seeing the original Prey 2 get canned was really disappointing.

Zukkoyaki

I'd be shocked if this wasn't true especially with Jason from Kotaku reporting in. I'm extra excited for Bethesda's E3 now because I love Arkane as a studio and will anticipate anything they work on even if it doesn't resemble the original, spectacular looking, Prey 2.

Well. Bethesda gave us Doom and Wolfenstein. I am in for another shooter!

Why this got cancelled is still beyond me, looked super good, but I guess the full game did not work out. Still looks unique and exciting today.
Wasn't the whole gameplay faked for the E3?

Wasn't the whole gameplay faked for the E3?

It was as faked as anything at E3 is. It was a vertical slice, and it worked better then other vertical slices I had seen at the time. It didn't crash the entire game if a developer met a bug or didn't do the script 100%.

In my demo they had to reset the player position becuase they fell through the geometry and stuff, so it felt more real then demos I had seen of Bioshock Infinite which was just a on rails camera more or less.

Seriously: why hasn't another publisher approached Human Head and got them to develop a futuristic SpaceCop bounty hunter game like from that Prey 2 demo? That looked insanely good.

MDave

After the success of Doom 2016, they are playing it good if people are hungry for more games like Doom. I really enjoyed the first Prey.

Nere

Good news, I have to ask though the first prey why isn't it on steam already? Wanted to buy it but nope no where to be found.

pa22word

Seriously: why hasn't another publisher approached Human Head and got them to develop a futuristic SpaceCop bounty hunter game like from that Prey 2 demo? That looked insanely good.
1. Pubs have largely entirely moved away from the studio for hire model.

2. HH bit the hand. Even if what they said is 100% the truth, no one is going to give them a big project again because of it.

If HH comes back in any way, it'll be doing smaller stuff like Obsidian is mostly doing right now.

Top Bottom